Cruise Ships Not Calling At Lifou

Don't know about the fever issue, but we found Lifou wasn't really as good as other islands. Unless you like to snorkel, or are fit enough to walk up to the church on top of the hill, which we didn't do, then you don't miss much in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, it was nice but we only spent maybe 2 hours off the ship that day, which was good in a way because we managed to get a relatively free run of all the ships facilities.

Is it true that most, if not all, cruises are not calling in at Lifou at the moment because of an outbreak of Dengue Fever? Would I miss out on much by way of scenery on shore if my cruise next week does not stop at Lifou?

if by some chance they dont stop at Lifou they will change the itinerary and stop at another island

Don't know about the fever issue, but we found Lifou wasn't really as good as other islands. Unless you like to snorkel, or are fit enough to walk up to the church on top of the hill, which we didn't do, then you don't miss much in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, it was nice but we only spent maybe 2 hours off the ship that day, which was good in a way because we managed to get a relatively free run of all the ships facilities.

I have to disagree. Lifou was by far my absolute favourite destination in the South Pacific.

The snorkelling was the best i have ever done, the scenery was stunning. I hope that you get to stop there.

I agree with John. We only had a short stop at Lifou and I was happy we were there only a couple of hours. Not much to do, apart from snorkel at Jinek Bay. One teens says if we ever go to back to Lifou, she's not getting off the boat. Other teen is keen to go back to Lifou to snorkel Jinek Bay again.

Edited by aussielozzie18

Pacific Sky and Pacific Princess were among the first cruise ships to start calling at Lifou. The idea was to go ashore to the big Field and have a feast ashore. I believe that due to Norovirus and the possibility of food poisoning , that is not done anymore

Is it true that most, if not all, cruises are not calling in at Lifou at the moment because of an outbreak of Dengue Fever? Would I miss out on much by way of scenery on shore if my cruise next week does not stop at Lifou?

It would be a pity if you miss Lifou but as Bob said you would visit another Island instead and it will always be an excuse for another cruise!

On our first visit we joined a ships tour travelling through several interesting villages and nice countryside with some views.

We then arrived at Luecila Beach one of the best I have seen.(a picture is attached)

On our second visit we snorkelled (no charge then} plenty of colourful fish.

We then walked to the church on the top of the hill, wonderful views of the beach and coast, it is always a bonus to have a hill to climb for the views.

Then in the opposite direction to a village, viewed another church and coastal views.

Finally had a swim on the beach where the tenders land, shopped in the small market tent and returned to the ship.

Yes I think Lifou is a a wonderful place to visit better than Mare' and Ouvea although I liked them very much as well.:)

100_3004_edited.jpg.2d6235e55c34335ed0f13a8b8cc224b8.jpg

Edited by sun-set

We are sailing on Carnival Spirit on Thurs, and our call to Lifou has been changed to Mare, Carnivals explanation for the change was due to tour operators on Lifou not agreeing to their insurance requirements, So it will be interesting if other cruise lines cancel this port of call what their reasons will be. Can't say I'm sorry Lifou is not one of my favourites, and I was disappointed after we first booked this cruise that Carnival changed Wala with Lifou, so I'm happy now. Robin:) ,

Edited by robinph

Lifou was great! The walk up to the church isn't that hard to do for any person of average fitness & worth it for the view. We did that first up.

Then we snorkelled at Jinek Bay but not where every second person does, more to the left, off the rocks, the corals & sea life were amazing, I didn't see any damage there at all. I consider it some of the best snorkelling you will find & I am a scuba diver who has dived or snorkelled Tahiti, Hawaii, Bali & most of the Pacific islands the cruise ships visit.

We then walked back past the dock area down to another church that is also near a cool little cave accessed via a grotto with a giant tree in the centre. In the cave it has a natural pool you can jump in if you want but it's very dark so a bit of a leap of faith.

The locals told us there are more caves on the island to visit as well.

Also best to get off the ship on one of the early tenders before the crowds arrive, do all your walking etc before the heat of the day builds then head back on board for a late lunch.

I hope you get to visit at least once, if you only stay around the dock area then you will be disappointed. Lifou is destination that is what you make of it. :)

Edited by avalon007

Had not heard anything about lifou issues

going there I think next week - have to double check the itinerary

been there lots of times and find you need to go further out for best snorkelling etc there, but it is by far better than the other islands that generally stop at if you do go that distance

I usually get off somewhere around 9, but don't mind the crowds.

the main issue for most is getting a tender ticket to get off the ship, and then the que to get back on.

will find out I suppose next week - will ask on board Rhapsody

cheers

Greg:)

Had not heard anything about lifou issues

going there I think next week - have to double check the itinerary

been there lots of times and find you need to go further out for best snorkelling etc there, but it is by far better than the other islands that generally stop at if you do go that distance

I usually get off somewhere around 9, but don't mind the crowds.

the main issue for most is getting a tender ticket to get off the ship, and then the que to get back on.

will find out I suppose next week - will ask on board Rhapsody

cheers

I think you're on the same cruise as me. Lifou on 5th Feb.

I think you're on the same cruise as me. Lifou on 5th Feb.

yep I am, just checked the itinerary

I don't usually pay a lot of attention to our local itineraries as done them all, I just like cruising

all I know is start and finish point plus any visas for big trips

see you soon

we still need one more for meet and mingle

Already registered for the meet and mingle. Just need to see if I have the time to sneak out for a little while. I'm with a group of 11 with a mix of elderly and kids.

we are only one down at the moment

oh well if not we have our own meet and greet

I will confirm that tomorrow anyhow

Cheers

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

When you say you missed out on Mystery Island did you go to an alternative island? We are due there in 2 weeks and have heard that wharf was destroyed by cyclone but have also heard other rumours that there is a floating jetty in place and someone else said on their cruise they just cruised around slowly for the whole day.

When you say you missed out on Mystery Island did you go to an alternative island? We are due there in 2 weeks and have heard that wharf was destroyed by cyclone but have also heard other rumours that there is a floating jetty in place and someone else said on their cruise they just cruised around slowly for the whole day.

On RCL Rhaspody the tender back from Mystery Island was really slow going. RCL because the jetty was virtually destroyed.

Just returned from cruising on the Radiance. We stopped at lifou for the day as per the itinerary. No mention of any problems there!! Also we missed Mystery Island due to the tender wharf being damaged as a result of the cyclone. As a result we had an extra sea day and had a bit longer to spend at the next stop, being Champaign Bay. Heard a few people complain but really what can you do? RCCL really couldn't help what is caused by Mother Nature!

Just returned from cruising on the Radiance. We stopped at lifou for the day as per the itinerary. No mention of any problems there!! Also we missed Mystery Island due to the tender wharf being damaged as a result of the cyclone. As a result we had an extra sea day and had a bit longer to spend at the next stop, being Champaign Bay. Heard a few people complain but really what can you do? RCCL really couldn't help what is caused by Mother Nature!

The cruise director told us it would be a while before any ships can call into Mystery Island, given the extensive damage to the wharf. While a little disappointed, I don't think many passengers on my Rhapsody cruise complained about the missed port of call. We simply told it in our stride and said Mystery Island will always remain a mystery to us!

The cruise director told us it would be a while before any ships can call into Mystery Island, given the extensive damage to the wharf. While a little disappointed, I don't think many passengers on my Rhapsody cruise complained about the missed port of call. We simply told it in our stride and said Mystery Island will always remain a mystery to us!

they could have rearranged the itinerary and stopped at another port, its a wonder they didnt do that

The CD said it wasn't possible due to the time it would take, the fuel costs, possible delays to the arrival time in the next schedule port of call (which in my cruise was Vila), etc.

please delete

Edited by rkmw