"Left Over" Elite coupons?

LuAnn

Passengers do not re-assign staff… management does that. We have never witnessed a server demanding vouchers when one's key card shows clearly that the passenger has a beverage package.

The server said that he would accept our order using our drinks package but wanted our coupons the next day.

His response was that he gets paid more for the coupon than the 15% gratuity on a premium drink…

The mere fact that he made it clear we had to submit a voucher as well as charging our card in the belief that he would get paid twice was an indication he needed a little more training. We reported his conversation and the next day he was elsewhere.

We were told by those higher up the food chain that they were not compensated by the coupons but only by the time served and gratuities..

On the last Eclipse TA, we had the Classic package, but the server in the Elite Lounge, which was available for those who wanted to use their coupons there, requested our coupons. He also told us that 'It was better for him' if we used the coupons instead of the package. We thought this was odd, but it wasn't a problem for us to hand over the coupons. It never occurred to us that he might be trying to get paid twice.

Sheila

Passengers do not re-assign staff… management does that.

Thank you, I am aware of this - perhaps my question should have said do you think the server was re-assigned because you pointed out his mistake/misunderstanding - which seems to be the case.

My confusion was also because you said "Servers do not get paid by the coupon and passengers and severs are scamming the system " and I couldn't understand how they could scam the system if they didn't get paid extra anyway

I think I understand now.

If it makes no odds to you whether you hand over your coupons or your card why bother? The guy did not double charge the card from what you said. Personally if I had an issue, I think it's only right you raise it with the individual first - after all the confusion may be language based. I'd hate to think some poor person got reassigned and is potentially facing no contract renewal if I had raised a relatively trivial matter with a manager.

Edited by uktog

I asked another person today and we were told that yes they receive payment for very coupon received. Therefore the server who wanted to process my beverage card and my coupon (which Zenith members do not receive) was double charging Celebrity for the gratuity on one beverage.

I hope someone has a good honest connection on another ship and gets closer to a definitive answer and the rationale for asking a passenger for both the key card and the voucher.

I'd hate to think some poor person got reassigned and is potentially facing no contract renewal if I had raised a relatively trivial matter with a manager.

OK trivial? If I had an employee who asked to be paid twice for providing one service and does this repeatedly and even demands the vouchers and the key card for a double charge I would be seriously ticked.

Figure out the number of passengers served by the number of drinks ordered over a two hour period receiving 15% of the value of drinks ordered plus the tips people claim to give for the "free" drinks during happy hour because they thought servers were not being paid by X for the service, plus charging double for people submitting vouchers plus their key cards and I think the amount would be considerable. I would not have any problems sacking any employee who acted in that fashion. I also would question the integrity of any passenger that thinks it ok for employees to act in such a fashion and would even encourage the practice here on Cruise Critic.