Another noro virus outbreak

So glad I wasn't cruising on this one! :)

However I think the cruise line deserves kudos for handling it as well as they did.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/qld/a/21171177/cruise-ship-returns-with-sick-toll-at-700/

that was on the RCI board about a 5 days ago or is this another case

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1977993

This has been the hot button topic on the RCI boards this week. The US media, as usual, has been having a ball trashing the cruise industry. Fortunately the Explorer returned is back in port early and is undergoing a thorough deep clean before leaving on her next voyage. Passengers were generously compensated. Fingers crossed all will go well on the upcoming trip.

I wish the media would be responsible and add in some general information about Norovirus. I work in Aged Care and know all too well what that disease is capable of. There is very little Royal Caribbean could have done to stop it, you get one person or a family with it on board, not even the alcohol rubs they get you to use are 100% effective against it. It can be transmitted via droplet and so you can breath it in, at work we have to wear masks and gown up just to enter a room with anyone with Norovirus.

All I hear is a bunch of people blaming bad food and sanitation on board the ship, while that is possible, it's highly likely that isn't the case at all.

Just a tip though, if you know Norovirus is going around, gets some inner health plus and take it morning and night. It only takes something tiny like 10-20 infectious particles to get the symptoms, but if you have some good bacteria killing them off for you you can sometimes spare yourself the full blown gastro. I've managed to get myself through some pretty decent norovirus outbreaks at work by taking that.

Edited by The 7 Dwarfs

I wish the media would be responsible and add in some general information about Norovirus. I work in Aged Care and know all too well what that disease is capable of. There is very little Royal Caribbean could have done to stop it, you get one person or a family with it on board, not even the alcohol rubs they get you to use are 100% effective against it. It can be transmitted via droplet and so you can breath it in, at work we have to wear masks and gown up just to enter a room with anyone with Norovirus.

All I hear is a bunch of people blaming bad food and sanitation on board the ship, while that is possible, it's highly likely that isn't the case at all.

Could not have said it better. Sadly many people blindly believe the media nonsense.

Just imagine what it would be like to be on a cruise ship that did not get medical clearance upon entering a port and no one was allowed off.:eek:

Do many ships get quarantined?

I can't remember an entire ship being quarantined, not to say it hasn't happened. THAT would be dreadful.

A lot of cruisers would not be aware that whenever a cruise ship enters a port, no matter where it is, it has to be cleared by the "Authorities" . As well as the usual Customs and Immigration procedures the Medical Officer has to present a statement on the "Health " of the ship.

I cant recall the exact occasion but do remember that a cruise ship was denied entry to a port once due to the high number of Noro suffers on board.

A lot of cruisers would not be aware that whenever a cruise ship enters a port, no matter where it is, it has to be cleared by the "Authorities" . As well as the usual Customs and Immigration procedures the Medical Officer has to present a statement on the "Health " of the ship.

I cant recall the exact occasion but do remember that a cruise ship was denied entry to a port once due to the high number of Noro suffers on board.

I have read reports of that happening here on CC, I think it was a carribean port.:D

Just imagine what it would be like to be on a cruise ship that did not get medical clearance upon entering a port and no one was allowed off.:eek:

Was not aware of this David. Guess Explorer was fortunate not to be denied entry, given this was reportedly the largest noro outbreak on record. That being said from all accounts RCI did a great job under the circumstance (despite what our disgusting media are reporting).

When we were on board QE last year the Captain called for the CDC to board the ship at one of the Hawaiian islands due to a Noro Virus outbreak which began after leaving Wellington. Over the 14 days since leaving Wellingon the ships company still didn't have it under control.

When we eventually docked in Los Angeles all the ground crew were wearing masks and all crew and passengers were disembarked and taken to the Queen Mary at Long Beach for the day whilst QE was completely fumigated.

One thing I did note was that at the stage when they closed the public restrooms onboard from then on the Captain reported fewer accounts of the virus during his midday report.

I must say the Captain and crew worked tirelessly to try to overcome the outbreak.

Jill :)

Edited by Gold Coast Cruisers

When we were on board QE last year the Captain called for the CDC to board the ship at one of the Hawaiian islands due to a Noro Virus outbreak which began after leaving Wellington. Over the 14 days since leaving Wellingon the ships company still didn't have it under control.

When we eventually docked in Los Angeles all the ground crew were wearing masks and all crew and passengers were disembarked and taken to the Queen Mary at Long Beach for the day whilst QE was completely fumigated.

One thing I did note was that at the stage when they closed the public restrooms onboard from then on the Captain reported fewer accounts of the virus during his midday report.

I must say the Captain and crew worked tirelessly to try to overcome the outbreak.

Jill :)

Just goes to show, can happen on any ship or anywhere.:D

people remember the Swine Flu that was around here about 5 years ago well we returned from Hawaii and 2 people thought they had the swine flu so we were stuck at Darling Harbour for 12 hours, they got tested and if it came back postive they were going to push us out to sea for a week but lucky it came back ok but it still messed things up

people remember the Swine Flu that was around here about 5 years ago well we returned from Hawaii and 2 people thought they had the swine flu so we were stuck at Darling Harbour for 12 hours, they got tested and if it came back postive they were going to push us out to sea for a week but lucky it came back ok but it still messed things up

Not a great situation if it occurred but I can think of much worse scenarios then being on the ship for another week.:D

It is a horrible virus to have. Extremely painful and you will not want to venture far with it. You have to be careful where you want to be when it comes out as the virus has the capability to expel itself from your body from more than one place at the same time.

Even worst is when you have vomited so much that you start coughing up the green bile.

Knowing how severe the virus is kind of makes me a sceptic that anyone would willingly and deliberately come on a cruise with the virus.

Swine flu was a classic. Many people we knew had it as they were tested for it. But described the symptoms as being less than the common cold. And maybe the memories hazy but I seem to recall the deaths from the traditional flu were much less that year.

There was a really bad Noro outbreak in Perth this time last year. My niece got it and had not been anywhere near a cruise ship.

From what I've read there's no way you'd come onboard with active noro. But I understand you could still be infectious a few days after symptoms have subsided.

Edited by Pushka