Kids in separate cabins?

TwinsXTwo

Has anyone cruised alone with multiple kids that had to be split into more than one cabin?

First off: Is it allowed? My Carnival guy said he could book me and my two daughters in a room and my two sons in a separate room (there are no rooms onboard for 5). He couldn't book them in a connecting balcony room for safety reasons, but he could book them across the hall from my balcony room. This ship has no connecting interior or ocean view cabins.

Secondly: Is it a good idea? I mean, the boys are 10 years old. They'll be right across the hall, but...does this seem reasonable?:confused:

Thoughts?

I'm surprised Carnival booking agents will do this.

On HAL, Princess, RCI, NCL & Celebrity, there has to be an adult booked in each cabin with minors. Once on-board different folks have talked about switching the situation around, but the original booking must show an adult in each cabin.

I WOULD NOT TRUST two 10-year old boys or girls in a cabin by themselves, no matter how mature they are. But thats JMHO after raising one boy and one girl and 7 grandchildren of both sexes.

I'd either find another adult to go, or find another cruise to go on that could accommodate 5.

On HAL, Princess, RCI, NCL & Celebrity, there has to be an adult booked in each cabin with minors. Once on-board different folks have talked about switching the situation around, but the original booking must show an adult in each cabin.

I WOULD NOT TRUST two 10-year old boys or girls in a cabin by themselves, no matter how mature they are. But thats JMHO after raising one boy and one girl and 7 grandchildren of both sexes.

I'd either find another adult to go, or find another cruise to go on that could accommodate 5.

Perhaps if you could find connecting cabins it might be OK since the doors could be left open all the time so you would have some awareness of what is going on in there, but two 10 year old boys in a separate cabin across the hall sounds like a very bad idea to me. I doubt a responsible cruise line would allow this for liability reasons.

Edited by boogs

Perhaps if you could find connecting cabins on another ship it might be OK, but two 10 year old boys in a separate cabin across the hall sounds like a bad idea to me. I doubt a responsible cruise line would allow this for liability reasons.

Has anyone cruised alone with multiple kids that had to be split into more than one cabin?

First off: Is it allowed? My Carnival guy said he could book me and my two daughters in a room and my two sons in a separate room (there are no rooms onboard for 5). He couldn't book them in a connecting balcony room for safety reasons, but he could book them across the hall from my balcony room. This ship has no connecting interior or ocean view cabins.

Secondly: Is it a good idea? I mean, the boys are 10 years old. They'll be right across the hall, but...does this seem reasonable?:confused:

Thoughts?

Not a good idea IMO.

I would suggest you would be better to book 2 connecting oceanviews or 2 connecting insides. That way you can leave the door open and be aware of your children in the other cabin.

We did it on the advice of my TA when my daughters were 11 and 8. They are quite responsible and we had strict guidelines. We always knew where they were and before bedtime we let them go to the buffet and get some food or cookies and a drink to bring back to the room. They were not allowed to leave the room after that. They loved lying in bed watching cartoons so it all worked well. Maybe I was fortunate and only you can decide if yours would abide by your rules. If you can find another adult who wants to share a room with two 10 year old boys, that would probably work better.

Perhaps if you could find connecting cabins it might be OK since the doors could be left open all the time so you would have some awareness of what is going on in there, but two 10 year old boys in a separate cabin across the hall sounds like a very bad idea to me. I doubt a responsible cruise line would allow this for liability reasons.

On RCI you are allowed to book minors in a room next door or directly across the hall. That is how my April booking is. You cannot do it online and neither can a TA, you have to call but they will do it.

On RCI you are allowed to book minors in a room next door or directly across the hall. That is how my April booking is. You cannot do it online and neither can a TA, you have to call but they will do it.

I've had the same experience.

OP, I would not book 10 year old boys in a separate stateroom. :eek: A connecting balcony would be safer, imo. Call them again and see if a different agent will book connecting balconies.

Celebrity actually has a great system on their S class ships for connecting cabins. They have double doors leading to the corridor. If you need connecting cabins you close the outer door for security, if not you close the inner door and don't use the outer doors.

Celebrity actually has a great system on their S class ships for connecting cabins. They have double doors leading to the corridor. If you need connecting cabins you close the outer door for security, if not you close the inner door and don't use the outer doors.

Only on the first four S-class ships. The Reflection has the "old" style connecting door arrangement seen on most ships.

Edited by boogs

On our first cruise we had two interior cabins with the two kids in one cabin, us in the other. Worked great...unless you count that when we were in the cabins they were usually sitting in ours :rolleyes:

We had a great time and they did fine. Only issue was settling the final bill with on-board charges. We found out the REALLY liked Ben & Jerry ice cream. :eek: But they enjoyed the trip and that was all that mattered.

Of course our two were considerably older than the children of the OP.

Would you leave your ten year old boys in a separate room in a hotel you have never been in before? The same would apply on a ship. After raising two boys, I would never do it. It is not much different than leaving them alone at home while you were at a party at the neighbors. In fact, it would be worse since they would be in an excited "fun on vacation" mode alone in the room with no supervision.

Bad idea. I am surprised you would even consider this. :eek:

Not a good idea IMO.

I would suggest you would be better to book 2 connecting oceanviews or 2 connecting insides. That way you can leave the door open and be aware of your children in the other cabin.

OP said there were no connecting interiors or ocean views.

Thoughts?

I would not book 10 year old boys in a separate cabin. Just my opinion.

Depends how reliable they are. They have to know that under no circumstances can they leave the room at night (except to come to your room). If they can be trusted on that, then they'll be OK.

Obviously you'll have a key for their cabin, and let them have a key for yours as well.

Mind you, I'm of the school that would let a 10-year-old roam the ship by himself. (See numerous other threads.) If you aren't, that might make a difference.

We were in a Carnival cabin for 5! It had two beds, two pull down bunks and a trundle bed. This bed slid under one of the beds and pulled out at night then put back in the morning. It was on the Glory. Sorry I don't remember what cabin it was. IT was not a balcony cabin. Yea, it could be tight at night but who cares if you're all together.

We were in a Carnival cabin for 5! It had two beds, two pull down bunks and a trundle bed. This bed slid under one of the beds and pulled out at night then put back in the morning. It was on the Glory. Sorry I don't remember what cabin it was. IT was not a balcony cabin. Yea, it could be tight at night but who cares if you're all together.

I suspect the problem is she is choosing dates that have already sold out all the best options as mentioned.

IMHO, it really depends on how you are raising your children and how much you trust them. I would trust mine at that age to not leave their room without getting my permission first but I understand that not everyone is lucky enough to have kids like that. We would make sure that the kids had things to entertain themselves in the room should they wake up earlier than the rest of the family, but being an early riser myself it's unusual for that to happen.

Having two 10 year old boys sounds like twins. With my experience raising twin boys, there is no way I would let them have their own room on a cruise ship. Nor, as a matter of fact, would Carnival whose published rules require that all passengers in a room must be 21 or older, or one must be 25. They might have waivers for next door rooms - certainly for adjoining rooms, but simply not a good idea otherwise.

I forgot to mention roll-a-way beds. They are brought to your cabin, unfolded at night and folded back in the morning. Again they make the cabin tight but who cares when everyone is sleeping? If the two beds are not together maybe it would fit between them.

I can see even good 10 year olds saying, "Mom & Dad aren't here, lets go to ???- They'll never know".

'Mom & Dad aren't here so lets go to ???- they'll never know!"

I'd be more inclined to have girls that age across the hall than boys. Just thinking of the boys testing the extremes of everything -- how much paper can the toilet suck down?

We traveled with 12 13-year-old boys (robotics team), who stayed 4 to a room. At checkout, we did room-check.

One boy had dropped a sock into the toilet, and it was too gross to remove, so they left it there (with other contents).

Another didn't tuck the curtain in the tub, and flooded the room -- every towel was still sopping on the floor.

A broken lamp, sugar packets emptied out on the counters, toothpaste paintings on the mirrors, Cheetos crushed into the chair and carpet, etc. etc. etc. Took us an hour to restore order.

Find another adult... seriously.

I'd be more inclined to have girls that age across the hall than boys. Just thinking of the boys testing the extremes of everything -- how much paper can the toilet suck down?

We traveled with 12 13-year-old boys (robotics team), who stayed 4 to a room. At checkout, we did room-check.

One boy had dropped a sock into the toilet, and it was too gross to remove, so they left it there (with other contents).

Another didn't tuck the curtain in the tub, and flooded the room -- every towel was still sopping on the floor.

A broken lamp, sugar packets emptied out on the counters, toothpaste paintings on the mirrors, Cheetos crushed into the chair and carpet, etc. etc. etc. Took us an hour to restore order.

Find another adult... seriously.

He he he, I can just visualize this, THANKS FOR THE CHUCKLE!!!:eek:

Thanks for all of the replies.

Unfortunately, the ship (Pride) does not have ANY interior or ocean view connected staterooms, so delaying my trip does not solve the problem - that is unless I delay my trip until the kids are older...

I'm not going to go on this cruise out of Baltimore. I will drive down to Florida and catch a ship there that has more options (ocean view connecting or family staterooms).

Thanks again.