Venice to Rome transportation recommendations

sungoddezz

We are a party of 4 who will be disembarking in Venice on July 13 (Regal Princess.) We will be going to Rome where we'll stay for 4 nights. Can anyone give us advise on what is the best mode of transportation. I found a flight for 52 euros but then I've been reading that the airport is a nightmare in Venice. Is it less stressful to take the train, bus or is air travel the better option?

Thanks

I traveled by train from Venice to Rome after disembarking a cruise last spring and found it to be very easy and low stress.

The train station is easy to get to from Piazzale Roma (still must cross a bridge though, so better to have manageable luggage). Since my cruise was on a smaller ship, we docked in a different location and I was able to simply take the vaporetto next to my ship, which dropped me off at the front of the station.

Fast trains from Venice to Rome take about 3 hours, and you'll end up already in the center of Rome. By the time you factor in transportation to the airport in Venice, having to arrive well in advance of your flight, the flight itself, luggage claim and transportation into Rome, I can't imagine it taking less....

Edited by cruisemom42

Cruisemom, I'm thinking the train would be a better choice as well. We can relax and see the countryside. Can you remember the cost of the train and who you booked it with. I tried looking on the Trenitalia site but maybe I'm booking too far in advance because it wont give me any info.

Cruisemom, I'm thinking the train would be a better choice as well. We can relax and see the countryside. Can you remember the cost of the train and who you booked it with. I tried looking on the Trenitalia site but maybe I'm booking too far in advance because it wont give me any info.

As cruisemom42 said, Trenitalia will only let you book about 3-4 months in advance. Searching on a random Sunday in May, I'm seeing pricing in the 39-49 euro range, so I think you should be able to find tickets for that sort of price.

Really, the train is a very comfortable way of travelling around Italy.

Without a doubt take the train! For our 2011 N. Italy 2 week land vacation we used the train everywhere we went, including Rome to Venice. Very easy and convenient. The train station is centrally located in Venice. Hint, splurge and get first class car seats its not that much more expensive and way way worth it!

My vote is also for the train. The flight might get you there faster, but remember it would be considered a domestic flight and luggage restrictions could add $$$ to your fare. You are usually allowed more luggage for an International flight. But I don't think the difference in 1st Class and 2nd Class seating is worth the extra money they charge. 2nd Class seating was always good enough for us.

The trains in Italy (Europe for that matter) are great (if there isn't a train strike while you're there). I've done Italy; Holland, Belgium, & Luxembourg; and Austria to Hungary by train. The only problems we encountered were being sure to remember to use the 2400 hour clock. Our first trip to Holland, Belgium & Luxembourg, we looked at the schedule, saw 1:03, so got to the station at 12:30 only to be told the train we wanted was actually at 1:03 am not pm that would be 1300, so we had a bit of a wait for another train in the afternoon. We learned to look on the schedule by military time after that. Not sure if that is still the case, but something to be aware of.

Thanks everyone for their great advice. We'll do the train then! Hopefully there wont be a strike.

Do a search this forum, others have talked about a website that tells when the strikes in Italy are going to happen. I don't remember it, as I don't plan to return to Italy anytime soon.

Have a great trip!

From Venice cruise terminal take the People Mover to Piazzale de Roma. When you come to ground level you are in the rear RH corner of the Piazzale. Walk to the front LH corner and follow the path along the quayside for 200m or so till you see the Venezia St Lucia railway station opposite. There is a bridge over the Grand Canal at this point where porters will carry your bags over the bridge for 2 Euros each .

Trains depart hourly for Roma Termini via Firenze SMN . Total travel time to Roma around 3 hours. Compulsory seat reservation, book on line up to 3 months in advance on Trenitalia website .

Advance notice of the dreaded Italian train strike is given at website : summeritaly.com/planning/strike.asp

Edited by kuldalai

• 3 weeks later...
We are thinking of going to Rome and Florence before a cruise out of Venice by train......we are wondering if we will have trouble with our luggage..... just how 'light' do we need to pack??

That is a great question. You should expect to handle your own luggage for your entire journey. This means you have to get it from you taxi (of however you get to the train station) to the train (this can involve a long walk in stations like Rome's Termini), on the train (which might involve a couple of steps), and then you have to deal with your luggage on the train. Depending on the type train there might not be any luggage storage near your seats...in which case there is usually some storage room at the end of the car. But you must always assume that somebody will steal your luggage at any time..so you must act accordingly.

So, getting back to your original question you must ask yourself how much luggage you are capable of handling without any help.

Hank

To add to Hlitner's excellent advice, here's a
to the Frecciarossa trains that travel between Rome/Florence. As you can see, the racks above the seats are quite deep, so if you can lift it, you can store your luggage there fairly easily.

I was just on the Frecciargento (Rome to Naples) last week. Even in business class, the rack above was not deep enough to store my 24" suitcase. There was no luggage area at the end of the car either. Along with several others, I just kept my suitcase in the (wide) aisle beside my seat and kept my hand on it whenever I thought it might roll away (!!).

When I took the Frecciarossa (Venice to Rome), there WAS a luggage storage area at the end of the car with slots for bags, and my larger suitcase did fit there. However, I wouldn't bank on anything larger than about a 25" bag fitting there.

We want to fly into Venice and enjoy that city for a couple of days before our cruise departs from Civitavecchia. Would like to take the train from Venice. Got some questions:

Am I correct in assuming we would train from Venice to Rome, and then again from Rome to the port city?

Would this involve changing train terminals, or some walking and luggage-handling in Rome?

Should we follow the golden rule of always travelling the day before sailing - that is, should we leave Venice the day before we sail?

If so, should we look for a hotel in Rome, or one in the port city for the night before the cruise?

Thanks for all the info so far - very helpful!

We want to fly into Venice and enjoy that city for a couple of days before our cruise departs from Civitavecchia. Would like to take the train from Venice. Got some questions:

Am I correct in assuming we would train from Venice to Rome, and then again from Rome to the port city?

Would this involve changing train terminals, or some walking and luggage-handling in Rome?

Should we follow the golden rule of always travelling the day before sailing - that is, should we leave Venice the day before we sail?

If so, should we look for a hotel in Rome, or one in the port city for the night before the cruise?

I don't think you need to go the day before, but you're going to have fairly limited options as it takes about five and a quarter hours for the train trip, and then you've got to get from the train station at Civitavecchia to the port (one half mile) and from the port entrance to your ship (via port shuttle). All train options require a change and the fastest routes all go through Rome.

For example, you could get a train from Venice at 7:25 AM, arrive Rome at 11:10, depart Rome at 11:57 and arrive Civitavecchia at 12:39 (this would be my recommended option).

There is one later route that could work, departing Venice at 9:25 AM and arriving Civitavecchia at 2:37 PM (after a change in Rome), but this is probably cutting it too close.

Thank you so much for that reply Euro Cruiser, very helpful. We intend to spend some time in Rome after the cruise, so would prefer not to pay for a night in the Rome area beforehand if it's not necessary.

Our ship leaves Civitvecchia at 5:00 p.m., and of course we must be aboard for muster earlier. So we would absolutely take the earlier option...I don't play dice with getting onboard on time.

I am assuming from your post that we could easily make that transition from the Venice-Rome train to the Rome-Civitavecchia train between 11:10 and 11:57. But we've never seen the inside of the Rome train station - can it possibly be this fast and easy?

Thanks to other posters in this thread, we've realized we have to scale down the luggage, so we'll be travelling light.

I'd really like to be able to spend the third night in Venice for obvious reasons, plus, there are some hotels that discount if you spend three nights. But I have to be confident we can get to the port on time. Getting up at the crack of dawn is not an issue - if we have to, we will.

Edited by wassup4565

You'll have plenty of time to make the connection, you actually could accomplish it in less than ten minutes.

You can read about Rome's Termini station here: http://www.romatermini.com/

I wouldn't hesitate to do what you are suggesting but always have a back-up plan. Strikes aren't common but they do happen and they are announced well in advance. If a strike is called on the day you need to travel, you'll want to know what you would do.

Renting a car and driving yourself is an easy fall-back option. All you need is an International Driving Permit (easily obtained in the States from AAA). You can pick up a car at Piazzale Roma and drop it off in Civitavecchia, avoiding Rome altogether. It takes just under six hours to make the trip by car, with all but the last hour on major highways (autostrade).

Edited by euro cruiser

Thanks again, Euro and Tommy. A fallback plan is also a great idea, and I can get the driving permit from the CAA (Cdn equivalent to AAA). I really appreciate the specific directions, both for the railway station and for renting a car and driving if necessary.

You'll have plenty of time to make the connection, you actually could accomplish it in less than ten minutes.

You can read about Rome's Termini station here: http://www.romatermini.com/

I wouldn't hesitate to do what you are suggesting but always have a back-up plan. Strikes aren't common but they do happen and they are announced well in advance. If a strike is called on the day you need to travel, you'll want to know what you would do.

Renting a car and driving yourself is an easy fall-back option. All you need is an International Driving Permit (easily obtained in the States from AAA). You can pick up a car at Piazzale Roma and drop it off in Civitavecchia, avoiding Rome altogether. It takes just under six hours to make the trip by car, with all but the last hour on major highways (autostrade).

Rental car is an excellent backup plan. It's not difficult/challenging to drive in Italy. The Autostrade is excellent. And, it gives you a chance to sample the best "truckstop" - The Autogrille!!! Everyone has to do it at least once:) For the Autostrade, unless you have a true chip&pin CC (NOT chip & sig), be sure you carry some Euros for tolls and gas...

Thanks Slidergirl, - actually, I'm actually thinking we may prefer to rent a car and drive to Civitavecchia from Venice. I totally love truck stops in another country - some of our best authentic meals in the Dominican Republic were in truck stops, for example.

Thanks for the tip about the credit card chip and PIN. Our cards are good to go. Possibly I will have to get an Audrey Hepburn headscarf and sunglasses and drive the Autostrade. Just because!

Edited by wassup4565

Thanks Slidergirl, - actually, I'm actually thinking we may prefer to rent a car and drive to Civitavecchia from Venice. I totally love truck stops in another country - some of our best authentic meals in the Dominican Republic were in truck stops, for example.

Thanks for the tip about the credit card chip and PIN. Our cards are good to go. Possibly I will have to get an Audrey Hepburn headscarf and sunglasses and drive the Autostrade. Just because!

You'll love the drive!!! I always get a moz, tomato and basil paninio or the Icaro panino at the Autogrill. Always good. If you aren't the driver, grab a small bottle/glass of wine to go with it! Great place to pick up some road snacks, too!! All sorts of cheeses, salumi, crackers, Hot Calabrian pepper spread (!!!). I first saw Autogrill mentioned in a Mario Batalli show when he was traveling through Italy on his motorcycle. There are some YouTube videos on people going through the Autogrill. Definintely worth a visit.