seasickness on a 4 nt. cruise out of Port Canaveral

lyban

We will be on our first cruise with the family on enchantment in late Feb.

7th deck , mid ship.

none of us tend to get car sick.

Because we leave from Florida and are already past some of the rough areas I did not think we needed anything for seasickness.

Now I am starting to wonder.

What can I buy over the counter in most Florida drugstores?

Just to have with us in case.

Here in Canada I cannot find anything locally so since we spend time in Florida before, that would be the easiest place for us to buy.

Bonine is a product that I use all the time. I get it in a chewable form and take one every day, regardless of the conditions, as I tend to be bothered by motion. It's always worked great for me. It's available in almost every chain pharmacy - CVS, Rite Aid, etc.

You could purchase Dramamine or the patches to be placed behind your ear. You could also purchase Acu-Strap which is sold on the ship. The Acu-Straps are non-drowsy and no drug wrist bands and work well. I normally do not have any issue with motion sickness, but I did need these on a cruise and they worked perfectly.

Have a wonderful cruise! Be well.

Thanks for the info.

One of us will be my 3 year grand-daughter.

Do you know if children usually do not notice this movement or would they be worse. She is not ever car sick.

The only solution I see for children are the wrist straps, I would not want to give her any meds.

I wonder if she would even keep the wrist straps on and pressed into the right area.

Also does anyone know what the ship charges for the bands or can I get them at drugstores cheaper

I discovered on our very first cruise out of PC (also a 4 nighter) that I am prone to seasickness. I started taking Less Drowsy Dramamine (same as Bonine) and have taken it ever since when we cruise starting the night before. I now buy generic as it's cheaper. There are children's dosages. It's basically an antihistamine that keeps your inner ear from making you nauseous. Seabands do not work for me at all.

Edited by BND

Thanks for the info.

One of us will be my 3 year grand-daughter.

Do you know if children usually do not notice this movement or would they be worse. She is not ever car sick.

The only solution I see for children are the wrist straps, I would not want to give her any meds.

I wonder if she would even keep the wrist straps on and pressed into the right area.

Also does anyone know what the ship charges for the bands or can I get them at drugstores cheaper

My 2 daughters, 3 and 5 did not have any problems with the motion on the Disney Magic last year. I took dramamine a couple of times when the ship was rocking in higher seas but the kids never had any issues. Of course, that is just my experience. I definitely can't speak for all kids. :)

We had a rough cruise with our daughters (then 6 & 8) out of Alaska a few years ago. My oldest daughter gets motions sickness pretty easily, and she was fine until she took hers off to take a shower... Then was vomiting within 10 minutes.

I am not as experienced a cruiser as some, but whenever the captain knows rough seas are coming, we've always been warned ahead of time and the ship gives out Dramamine at guest services for free. I can remember reading about eating green apples when seasickness hits too, if you want to avoid medication you could grab an apple from breakfast and keep it in your room just in case. Crackers too. Or bring some ginger ale with you.

Hope that helps.

I doubt you will have much trouble...the Bahamas are very close to Fl, so the ship will be able to go s-l-o-w-l-y (which is cheaper than fast;)) Here is my three prong plan...start with #1 and move to 3 if you have an issue, that way you are not unnecessarily medicating!:D

#1 Packaged nuts, or order a daily room service cheese plate: Keep your belly full with some protein, especially at sailaway, which is usually before dinner when you have an appetite!

#2 Ginger Gum: Available in the motion remedies aisle at the drug store, this is simply ginger in gum form. Chew at the first sign of upset. Ginger ale or candied ginger will do the same, but most ginger ales have done away with pricey ginger in their formulations:rolleyes: and ginger candy is extra calories.

#3 Bonine and Dramamine: Bonine (Meclazine) is first line; less drowsy and often labeled for tots, but it's still medicine. Dramamine (Diphenhydramine) is a bigger gun, usually not labeled for tots and much more sleep provoking. Also check for interactions with alcohol, which is something #1 and 2 you don't have to worry about.

If you have those things (easily obtained at any major store in the US) in your kit, you are unlikely to need ANY of them:D

Lastly, beware the real "seasickness secret"; the tenders and small boat excursions. Often the diesel fumes and rocking of these small boats bother folks more than being on the "big ship". If you have one of these excursions planned- bring your 3 items in a little "to go" kit, and chew the the nuts and gum at the first sign of upset, chewablw Bonine if things get really rough!:D

Edited by Familygoboston

Bonine is a product that I use all the time. I get it in a chewable form and take one every day, regardless of the conditions, as I tend to be bothered by motion. It's always worked great for me. It's available in almost every chain pharmacy - CVS, Rite Aid, etc.

I second Bonine!! If I didn't take my daily dose I'd never be able to leave the cabin!

I would not worry, I would not start any child on drugs, or most anything, unless she actually gets sea sick. If she does not get car sick, I doubt that she will get sea sick.

The problem with that "plan" is that meds don't work after the fact. You need to have them in your system before you start to feel ill. Saying if someone doesn't get car sick, then they won't get seasick is just not true. DH can't ride roller coasters, but loves to sail and hasn't been seasick on a cruise, but has while he was on active duty in the Navy a couple of times. I no longer get car sick and I used to as a child, and I can ride roller coasters and the train fine, but I can and have gotten seasick.

BTW, everyone will get seasick at some point. You just have to find your motion. Even people who sail a lot have a particular motion that can make them seasick.

Edited by BND

I second Bonine!! If I didn't take my daily dose I'd never be able to leave the cabin!

I concur. My regimen is to start the day before the cruise with one Bonine, then one to two per day as needed. They are chewable, which makes them easy to take. If my stomach feels funny at any point, I take ginger capsules.

I must be a glutton for punishment if I cruise in spite of potentially feeling seasick, but I love it (cruising, not feeling sick). As another poster pointed out above, diesel fumes and the movement on a small excursion boat can really do it to those of us who get seasick. I always have extra Bonine and ginger with me just in case! Ginger ale can help, too.

Edited by CntPAcruiser

Someone has convince my sister that she will be more seasick in a balcony vs an interior cabin.

Thoughts?

People who say that are the ones who simply do not want to pay for a balcony so they have themselves convinced that an inside cabin is best.

Someone has convince my sister that she will be more seasick in a balcony vs an interior cabin.

Thoughts?

The closer you are to the innermost part of the ship, the less motion there will be. Since balconies are on the outside of the ship (in most cases), the statement is true.

I agree lower deck, mid ship is best and that appears to be what you have which is great. A balcony is nice - if for no other reason than to air out the room or put smelly clothes outside;). I like looking at the horizon and the fresh air and I can always feel the motion. If it bothers someone, just close the curtains.

I would suggest speaking with your pediatrician. Mine (15 years ago) told me that the sea bands work if you think they do - which can still be good. But she also told me to cut a Dramamine in 1/2 if needed. So as the other poster said, if you have your advice from your doctors office and the appropriate knowledge, you will be prepared. Yes, you need it in your system, but if you get off the ship at a port, that will work too as you can take it while you are on land before you get back on the ship if you find out you get seasick. In Florida and Arizona (where I live) you need a prescription to get the Transderm Scop patch. That is what I use, but you have to be VERY careful putting it on - be sure and wash your hands thoroughly. If you don't and you touch your eyes, you'll have blurred vision for the whole cruise - happened to a friend of mine. The instructions state it, but still, not something you want to learn the hard way.

Edited by Hollyann