Summer or Fall?

kandeegirl

We will be taking our first 12-night cruise in the Med (lucky me!) in August/September. Do I take summer or fall clothes? I know exactly what to pack for the Caribbean, and even Alaska, but this has me stumped. I'll bet you're ready to tell me to think layers, and I'll definitely have my sweater, but what I'm really wanting to know is should I stick to more fall-like colors or would my colorful, summer-like tops be appropriate? I have several with 3/4 sleeves, but their prints and fabric definitely give them more of a summery look. And what about capris? Are they ok? I'm usually pretty confident about what I wear, but this time, not so much. I could sure use some advice.

We will be taking our first 12-night cruise in the Med (lucky me!) in August/September. Do I take summer or fall clothes? I know exactly what to pack for the Caribbean, and even Alaska, but this has me stumped. I'll bet you're ready to tell me to think layers, and I'll definitely have my sweater, but what I'm really wanting to know is should I stick to more fall-like colors or would my colorful, summer-like tops be appropriate? I have several with 3/4 sleeves, but their prints and fabric definitely give them more of a summery look. And what about capris? Are they ok? I'm usually pretty confident about what I wear, but this time, not so much. I could sure use some advice.

You can expect temperatures to a comfortable 70 degrees . Turkey might be a bit hotter . Go to Google and do a search historical weather in the different ports.

Try this site

http://www.wunderground.com/

I would expect warmer temperatures in Italy, Greece, and Turkey. August tends to be hot all over the Med.

If you are concerned about style and what do European women wear, they dress more conservatively than American/Canadian women. I think they look pretty drab, as a matter of fact, because they tend to dress in neutral colors a lot.

I also have a lot of summer tops that are very colorful. I would also take them if I was going on your cruise. I'd pair them up with a black, brown, or navy lightweight knit jacket (which I do) if I need the outer layer for more warmth.

I do recommend capris, but I take black, navy, and brown ones to match the jackets. The black and brown are slinky jackets with matching long pants, so those pants go with me. I also, take tan capris.

Be sure to consider your shoes carefully. Most older towns or historic areas you may visit will have cobblestones, or irregular steps and streets. The big cities are paved.

Wonderful trip! Have fun!

Edited by pcur

What great advice, thank you so much.

I had that lightweight, slinky knit jacket several years ago and I know just where to find another. I had forgotten all about how great that is to travel with. And you're so right--it will be perfect for this trip.

What great advice, thank you so much.

I had that lightweight, slinky knit jacket several years ago and I know just where to find another. I had forgotten all about how great that is to travel with. And you're so right--it will be perfect for this trip.

You are most welcome. Enjoy your trip!

I would expect warmer temperatures in Italy, Greece, and Turkey. August tends to be hot all over the Med.

If you are concerned about style and what do European women wear, they dress more conservatively than American/Canadian women. I think they look pretty drab, as a matter of fact, because they tend to dress in neutral colors a lot.

August and September are the most popular times for us Europeans to go on holiday to the Med because it will be hot and sunny. We wear practically anything the same as you! All colours are perfectly acceptable. If we are on the beach we will wear shorts or sundresses, if we are in Town/City we will wear more appropriate clothing like a pretty dress or capris.

August and September are the most popular times for us Europeans to go on holiday to the Med because it will be hot and sunny. We wear practically anything the same as you! All colours are perfectly acceptable. If we are on the beach we will wear shorts or sundresses, if we are in Town/City we will wear more appropriate clothing like a pretty dress or capris.

I think I'm basing my opinion on the people I would see on the streets in European cities, which were most likely people who were going to and from work, and probably more conservatively dressed.

I also notice the European travelers I see here in CA wear a lot of muted colors, etc.

But, having said all this, the advice is better coming from someone who's "there and seeing it"!

A tropical looking dress would be ok ashore too. I was talking about holiday wear .... not business wear.

I don't think you will need a jacket - a cashmere cardigan or something similar would be fine. Although if you are talking later in

September ie the last week or so then a light jacket would be a good idea.

Edited by meldreth
typo!

Ducklite, I read your "stuff I didn't bring"...very impressive! I don't think I can wear black tops in hot weather--I just get too hot. We sail on August 26 thru September 6, but we won't be heading back home until the 12th. From what I've read, I think it's going to be summery-warm. Would beiges, khaki and other lighter neutrals work ok? I could probably do black bottoms.

Ducklite, I read your "stuff I didn't bring"...very impressive! I don't think I can wear black tops in hot weather--I just get too hot. We sail on August 26 thru September 6, but we won't be heading back home until the 12th. From what I've read, I think it's going to be summery-warm. Would beiges, khaki and other lighter neutrals work ok? I could probably do black bottoms.

Yes. I can't wear black in the daytime in hot weather so I tend to wear beige or khaki pants with pretty coloured cotton tshirts. Black pants and dressier tops at night. I've done land travel in Europe around that time of year and it can get quite hot. You might need a light warmer layer for cooler or breezier conditions but mostly you'll need summer wear.

I swear by those outdoor/travel pants for daytime sightseeing. I've been using them for travel for at least ten year, all over the world. They are cool and wick away any sweat, they dry quickly if you get caught in a downpour, yet they are warm enough for cooler days. They don't look as elegant as tailored pants but they are comfortable and that's what counts.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

That would work fine. I didn't take only black but rather mixed and matched between black, tan, and a bit of white, using scarves and jewelry to add color and texture to my outfits.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Hi kandeegirl,

We did the Eastern Med las year, first week of September. It was warm. I was in sundresses, skirts, and shorts everyday. I wore shorts for places like Ephesus and Olympia since they were more excavated sites. For Santorini and Italy, sundresses and skirts. If you are going to any religious sites, bring something to cover your shoulders. I always had a scarf or shrug. For footwear, comfort is key. No flip flops. For nights on ship, I wore white/dark pants and fancier tops. As others suggested, it's always good to have a light sweater just in case.

Ali

We did a Med cruise in September and it was perfectly warm but not too hot. I'd say Florence and Venice were the coolest (low 70s) but a cardigan or blazer worked nicely!

Everywhere else, it was shift dresses and shorts. However, I was always cold on the ship but that's probably just me.

Happy sailing!

Keep in mind that both shoulders and knees should be covered if entering churches or other religious sites.

Actually must be covered in some churches and all mosques.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...