Travel docs for kids

jenanderic

In order to get passports for my kids I had to take my ex to court. He finally signed release for passport application and consent to travel during spring break. I take application to post office to find out I need a copy of his DL. I call my ex and he refuses to do it. My question, do I go back to court or is my travel consent letter from him enough?

If this is a "closed loop" cruise, the kids can sail with their Birth Certificate only....you already have the permission letter.....

I can't help with the legalities of the passport requirements.

Sounds like you're lucky he's an "ex"! What a jerk to punish his kids like that!

If this is a "closed loop" cruise, the kids can sail with their Birth Certificate only....you already have the permission letter.....

I can't help with the legalities of the passport requirements.

Sounds like you're lucky he's an "ex"! What a jerk to punish his kids like that!

Agreed. (Not sure of their ages but if the are 16 or older they would also need a government issued photo ID).

In order to get passports for my kids I had to take my ex to court. He finally signed release for passport application and consent to travel during spring break. I take application to post office to find out I need a copy of his DL. I call my ex and he refuses to do it. My question, do I go back to court or is my travel consent letter from him enough?

With all due respect, I fail to understand why people think that the CC Forum is the authority on passport requirements. Given that the requirements for a USA Passport are actually established by the USA Passport Agency than the sole authority on this matter to be certain the information is correct is the USA Passport Agency.

Had you checked the USA Passport Agency Website for all requirements before taking the father to court ? If so than you would have known that the Photo DL of the parents is required if the individual is younger than the age of 16.

For the record the USA Post Office Passport Processing Locations are and extension of the USA Passport agency. Therefore the information that you were given regarding a copy of the father's DL being required if the children are under the age of 16 is correct. So if you want passports and the father will not comply than regrettably you have to go back to court.

Edited by xxoocruiser

With all due respect myself I thought this was a forum for new cruisers. Since I'm a new cruiser and new to passports I didn't realize all the loop holes. I read requirements, thought I had things covered and hired 2 lawyers and a mediator. My question was not legalities of passports or putting blame on them. My question was to veterans with children. If consent letter that was notarized for cruising was good enough (which I have in hand) If not then I was going back to court for proper and correct papers.

With all due respect myself I thought this was a forum for new cruisers. Since I'm a new cruiser and new to passports I didn't realize all the loop holes. I read requirements, thought I had things covered and hired 2 lawyers and a mediator. My question was not legalities of passports or putting blame on them. My question was to veterans with children. If consent letter that was notarized for cruising was good enough (which I have in hand) If not then I was going back to court for proper and correct papers.

Your question seemed as if you were asking if consent letter was enough for passports, not a question about enough for cruising. That is why you got the reply about passports.

Curious, I would have thought your attorneys would have drawn up the legal paperwork submitted to the courts that would "direct your EX to cooperate in providing/meeting, ANY AND ALL requirements in order for your children to obtain passports" that way what ever the US Govt requirements are he would be required to meet them.

At least for this cruise, it's a closed loop (?) and it appears the permission letter will be all that is required..... I think I have that correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by nana541

Oh yes the legal paperwork said he'd sign proper documents and letter of consent for travel. The gov website said to supply DL but I read it as for notary not to mail it out with documents. So of course I call and practically beg my ex to take a picture of his DL for me and I would print it off. Answer.......no.

I know I don't actually HAVE to have passports it's just a principle thing now.

Oh yes the legal paperwork said he'd sign proper documents and letter of consent for travel. The gov website said to supply DL but I read it as for notary not to mail it out with documents. So of course I call and practically beg my ex to take a picture of his DL for me and I would print it off. Answer.......no.

Sounds like you need to Haul his butt back to court and maybe you should request the judge order him to pay this round of legal fees because "he violated the court order requiring he cooperate with legal req to obtain passports" and that requires a copy of drivers license OR for him to appear in person with you and the minor children.....

After 40 yrs I think I'll just keep my DH, I can see it's way too much trouble to try and get rid of him :) hope he feels the same!!

Good luck with this Joker!

ps how bout having your lawyer send him a 10 day letter to comply or be found in "Contempt" of a court order? And threaten to haul him back to court. A letter from the lawyer might be a good first place to start?

Edited by nana541

sounds like he is in contempt..

I assume he has no visitation and does pay child support.

FYI - you need to find a better lawyer.

Edited by Sherlock43031

it's my understanding that both you and your ex both have to go to the post office to submit the paperwork.

I got my son's passport without my ex having to come to the post office with us. Like OP I had him sign a consent. I don't however remember having to have his DL. But most of the time for stuff like this my ex doesn't mind as long as I do all the work so I may have just copied it when he came to pick my son up.

We sail out of Ft. Lauderdale to Cozumel and back on RCCL Liberty of the Seas with my 17yo and 14yo sons. They don't have passports. Will birth certificates due?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

OMG! I think you need to do some serious research AND go on the US Govt website that addresses this issue!

IF your sons are sailing with both parents named on their "Official Government Issued" (not hospital issued) Birth Cert. And IF they are born IN the US, ( not adopted from elsewhere) and IF your cruise is a "Closed Loomp" sailing and it appears to be, but for gods sake don't believe anything you get on Cruise Critic!!!

Make sure you have the proper documents now and not later.....,

PS there are all kinds of different issues not address above so make sure you have the proper documents.... Watching the ship sail without you and $$$ you will lose is not a pretty thought!

Edited by nana541

OMG! I think you need to do some serious research AND go on the US Govt website that addresses this issue!

IF your sons are sailing with both parents named on their "Official Government Issued" (not hospital issued) Birth Cert. And IF they are born IN the US, ( not adopted from elsewhere) and IF your cruise is a "Closed Loomp" sailing and it appears to be, but for gods sake don't believe anything you get on Cruise Critic!!!

PS there are all kinds of different issues not address above so make sure you have the proper documents.... Watching the ship sail without you and $$$ you will lose is not a pretty thought!

Wow - calm down.

We sail out of Ft. Lauderdale to Cozumel and back on RCCL Liberty of the Seas with my 17yo and 14yo sons. They don't have passports. Will birth certificates due?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, US citizens on a closed loop cruise may use a government agency-issued birth certificate (a hospital-issued BC is not acceptable) as proof of citizenship in lieu of a passport. In addition anyone age 16 or older will need a government-issued photo ID such as a drivers license.

Here's the information as provided by US Customs and Border Protection:

http://getyouhome.gov/html/lang_eng/eng_sa.html

"Closed Loop" Cruises: U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization). Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the foreign countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

And here's your cruise line's FAQ on the subject:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=329&faqSubjectName=Cruise+Documents&faqId=2814

...U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same port in the U.S.) will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as a government-issued birth certificate and laminated government issued picture ID, denoting photo, name and date of birth. A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original, notarized or certified copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issues by DOS, or Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services...

Edited by njhorseman

I love it when you say "don't believe anything you get on Cruise Critic", because that means they shouldn't believe you either.

And that would be a good idea when it comes to following your advice, which is at best incomplete and even incorrect in some details.

For example, someone who was adopted from another country can also take a closed loop cruise without a passport. In that case, a Certificate of Naturalization satisfies the proof of citizenship requirement. In the case of a US citizen born in another country a Consular Report of Birth Abroad is the appropriate document.

Nor do the rules for closed loop cruises make any mention of the need for birth certificates having both parents names. That is the rule for documentation that must be presented in order to apply for a passport, not for closed loop cruises (and by the way it's not "parents", it's "parent(s)" names because not all birth certificates list both names as sometimes the father's name is unknown).

So, please follow your own advice and research the government's actual requirements before posting. That way there's less of a chance that you'll post incomplete information or misinformation. I've posted links to both CBP's explanation of the rule, and their cruise line's confirmation of same in my previous post.

You need to contact the cruise and get their requirements in writing, comply with them and bring everything to the pier.

Cruise lines won't give you anything in writing in response to a request. The information is already provided in any or all of their ticket documents, brochures and website FAQs.

I believe RCO's wording is it's your responsibility to research and have the necessary travel documents.

While you have his attention I would push your lawyer to make him do whatever he needs to do to get both kids passports. also, a document that states until both reach 18 that you have his blanket permission to take them on vacation.