Brunch in MDR?

joyride21

Returned from a lovely cruise on the Jewel yesterday, but one thing struck me as very strange and was wondering if anyone else has experienced it on any other ships. (And search is still broken, so apologies if this has been discussed recently.) On our last day, the only sea day, we were looking forward to having both breakfast and lunch in the MDR, having never had time for breakfast there the whole week due to plans in port, and knowing that lunch is not served there on port days. However, instead of offering two separate seatings, one for breakfast and one for lunch, instead they simply had 'brunch' from 9am-1pm. And it was 98% buffet style. You could order omelets and that was about it. If we would have wanted to eat at the buffet, we would have gone to the Windjammer! (Which we did, later in the day to get ice cream cones, and from what I saw the offerings were just about identical.) And the brunch was really primarily lunch items. There was cold cereal and fruit available, but everything else was things like ribs! Who eats ribs at 9am? No waffles, no french toast, no oatmeal, no pancakes...it was very, very odd. We didn't care for it in the slightest and hope this isn't a new trend.

Carnival Cruise lines no longer serves lunch on sea days in the dining room. Their brunch is primarily breakfast items. We cruised on the Carnival Splendor last year. We enjoyed the cruise and the brunch was decent. However, it was not brunch for us, it was breakfast! Just one more cutback. We are planning to have breakfast in the dinning room on our first RC cruise and at least a couple of lunches in there too. I hope that we will have those options. My DH did not want to cruise to just Bermuda from NJ. After reading about this he might decide to go with Celebrity, rather than take his first RC cruise from NJ. This will be our 11th cruise (primarily on Carnival and Princess). I am very dismayed to read about the "brunch".:(

I hope this doesn't happen on our Indy cruise.. I enjoy going to cafe promenade for pastries for breakfast and then lunch in the MDR.

Has anyone else recently experienced brunch rather than breakfast and lunch?

Just off IOS. Breakfast and Lunch was served in the MDR. Salad Bar with Chef to mix your salad was there too.

Did they still offer the Tutti salad bar at lunch? That is usually one of my favorite meals of the entire cruise. I hope it doesn't go away...

They did not. There was no salad of any kind, at least while we were there. Perhaps they added it later, but given that all the other lunch foods were already out at 9am, I doubt it.

I hope you complained on your survey. That sounds like a serious downgrade for both meals.

I certainly did. And I'm really not one to complain.

I LOVE the brunch idea! I am on vacation, I sure shouldn't have to get up early just to get breakfast, it should be laid back and having late breakfast at noon sounds GREAT! Schedules are way over rated. Relax and get on island time, you might just like it! :D

I go to the main dining room because I want to be served. If I want to serve myself, I'll go to the Windjammer.

Seconded. Along with at least the pretense of cooked-to-order meals, and having nobody but staff trained to wash their hands occasionally touching things that touch my food. If someone wants to meet in the WJ, I'll grab a cup of coffee.

Just off the AOS. Had breakfast every morning in the Main Dining Room. On the one sea day we ate in the Main Dining Room for lunch. Yes, they did have the Tutti Salad Bar and the staff did prepare the salad for you.:)

I disliked Carnival's brunch immensely. We had to wait to be seated at least 45 minutes.

When I'm on a cruise, if I want breakfast in the MDR, I want breakfast. If I want lunch, I want lunch. It should be my decision, not theirs.

It's their decision as to how, when and what to serve. It's your decision on where you will dine of even if you will cruise with them.