1st Timer.. Sorry to be a pain

Hi everyone, if booked for my first ever cruise for this year on freedom of the seas, Western Caribbean :D very excited about this. I've been reading through the forum and have found lots of useful hints and tips. I just have a question regarding excursions. Can anyone reccommend a reputable company to book threw or does everyone tend to book threw RCCL directly.

Thanks in advance

Each port of call has different excursions available. You need to decide what it is you want to see and do in each port of call to get recommendations.... we don't know what you like nor your physical needs, age(s)etc. Suggest you head over to the ports of call boards for your itinerary and start there :)

I typically use a mix of RCC and private excursions. Freedom is a lovely ship. You will have a super time. You could have a look at my blog in my sig below for pics and what I did.

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Welcome to the rccl board, I think you'll love the royal ships :) Let us know if your doing Eastern/Western and we can at least tell you what we've done. I usually never book thru rccl. Like someone suggested, go to the main page and go to "ports of call" and that will help :)

Hey everyone thanks for the quick response. It's western we are doing, I haven't my heart set on any specific excursions if just briefly looked at the prices on the RCCL website and they seem quite high or maybe this is the norm, I actually don't know, so far I'd been thinks about dunes river falls, some snorkeling and the Mayan ruins. I'm just unsure as to who to book threw, like I said just slightly over whelmed as used to doing package holidays to Spain etc so never ventured this far before.

Hey everyone thanks for the quick response. It's western we are doing, I haven't my heart set on any specific excursions if just briefly looked at the prices on the RCCL website and they seem quite high or maybe this is the norm, I actually don't know, so far I'd been thinks about dunes river falls, some snorkeling and the Mayan ruins. I'm just unsure as to who to book threw, like I said just slightly over whelmed as used to doing package holidays to Spain etc so never ventured this far before.

If you're used package vacations - and you did say this is your first cruise - I'd suggest sticking to ship's excursions. While you could save a little money on private tours, you lose that assurance of making the ship when it's time to set sail. The ship will wait for one of it's own tours. Guests who are late on a self-arranged tour are on their own. By booking with Royal you also know you're dealing with a reputable company. Personally, we usually do a mix of ship and independent tours but for a first-timer, I'd say stick with Royal. Enjoy your trip. You chose a beauty of a ship and a very nice itinerary.

Some of the ruins tours are quite long and involve a fair bit of travel to get there and back. For theses tours I would use a RCI shore excursion just to be on the safe side. For other shorter tours you could look at private tours.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Dunn's River Falls is a great excursion IF you are physically active. It is a cascading waterfall that you get in and walk up. Bring a waterproof, disposable camera and something waterproof to carry your ID, money etc.

Congratulations on your upcoming 1st cruise! My sister and I have done the western 2 times now on both trips in Jamaica we did the horseback riding/beach swim and we LOVE it I think every time we go to Jamaica it will be our go to. In Cozumel this past cruise we did the Fury Catamaran snorkel and beach break and just a warning for those who are not very active it was rough swimming in the ocean during the snorkel I really struggled and my sister had to reboard as she could not handle it at all. So be aware all in all that excursion was still awesome and the people who run it were great. Lastly in Grand Cay we did the stingray and dolphin encounter all I can say is you must do this atleast once I was AWESOME.

Hope this helps some Oh and we always do ship tours because my sister is a little OCD like that.:p

If you want to do the Mayan Ruins (Tulum) in Cozumel, going through RCCL would probably be your best bet.

To do it on your own, you would have to get a cab from the International Pier to the Ferry Boat pier, take the Ferry to Playa Del Carmen, find your own way to and back from the ruins, ride the Ferry back to Cozumel, and catch a cab back to the ship. Way too many chances for something to go wrong, which could cause you to miss the ship. The biggest cause for concern is that you are at the mercy of the Ferry schedule, and the chance of rough seas disrupting things.

If you book through the ship, they charter a private Ferry that picks you up and drops you off right at the pier. Also, should anything come up that might cause the ferry to be late, they will hold the ship. Not the case if you take the public Ferry.

I used the Tulum tour as an example because they are, in my opinion, the only ruins to visit while in Cozumel. We once visited the ruins in Cozumel, and they are basically nothing, compared to Tulum.

Wow everyone on here is so helpful thanks chellll and clean1. I think the falls is gonna be a must. ATM my DH has no idea about this cruise as I have booked it as a birthday present. I think I will do as the majority are suggesting and stick to RCL's own shore excursions for the fear of missing the ship.

My sister always says just think of the extra cost as insurance that we get back on the boat. Our first cruise the boat left 2 people behind as they were not on a ship excursion and ever since then my sister will not let me book outside even though I can get it cheaper.

Hi everyone, if booked for my first ever cruise for this year on freedom of the seas, Western Caribbean :D very excited about this. I've been reading through the forum and have found lots of useful hints and tips. I just have a question regarding excursions. Can anyone reccommend a reputable company to book threw or does everyone tend to book threw RCCL directly.

Thanks in advance

No need to think you are a "pain" with that question....replies are point on ...

#1 rule for first timers; There is no such thing as a dumb question.

Have a great cruise

Thanks norcalal im just trying to pick up as much hints and tips as possible to make it as enjoyable as possible, next on the list for me is the drinks package debate :/

We never use the ship's excursions unless absolutely necessary because they are far too expensive. Independent tour operators always get you back to the ship well before departure time, its more than they dare to do not to as they'd lose too much business.

What are your ports of call? Maybe some of us can help you.

And you're not dumb, the only dumb question is the one you're too shy to ask! We all had to start somewhere on our first cruise so most of us have been there and done that as they say. And a big welcome aboard from us all to CC :D

Rule number one: enjoy your cruise!

Rule number two: don't think you have to do it all -- you couldn't if you tried so don't worry about it. Do a little research to find out what is available at each port and pick one or two and don't worry about the rest. You may decide you don't want to take an excursion at every port -- just go to the beach or walk around the town. As others have suggested, review the ports of call forum for ideas. Get involved in the roll call for you cruise -- you might get some ideas there as well.

Have a great time!

Our ports of call are

Labadie ( I think that's how you spell it)

Falmouth

Gran cayman

Cozumel

My DH is into his waterspouts and snorkeling so I hope he will get his fix in Labadie, Iv had a look at different things on various websites and I think you call it mystic mountain in Falmouth that does the bob sleigh ride I think we would enjoy that as well as climbing the falls. I'm not really a lie around person I'm kinda a busy body and like to make the most of everything ;)

When going on a cruise, I check other Roll Calls for a similiar itinerary to get some feel from others who may have used private Tour Companies and get their recommendations, along with using the Ports of Call and posting specific questions for your needs and likes. Welcome to CC and have a fabulous cruise.

Our ports of call are

Falmouth

Gran cayman

Cozumel

My DH is into his waterspouts and snorkeling so I hope he will get his fix in Labadie, Iv had a look at different things on various websites and I think you call it mystic mountain in Falmouth that does the bob sleigh ride I think we would enjoy that as well as climbing the falls. I'm not really a lie around person I'm kinda a busy body and like to make the most of everything ;)

Mystic mountain, does the bob sleigh ride and zip lining, we combined that with Dunns River Falls, one time, Marva will customize a tour to suit your needs. If you aren't interested in the Zip line, then there is also a bob sleigh at Labadee.

I rarely do ship excursions but the ruins at Tulum is one that I'd definitely do with the ship for the reasons given by another poster. Too much chance of being delayed and missing the ship. Grand Cayman stingrays I'd definitely NOT do with the ship - we went on a small boat with Captain Marvin and were soon in the water. We saw lots of people on the ship excursion queuing up just to get into the water.. Very little chance of missing the ship as its only a half day trip and there isn't a great deal of travelling

Edited by suekay

Our ports of call are

Falmouth

Gran cayman

Cozumel

The snorkeling in Grand Cayman will be MUCH better than in Labadee. Labadee doesn't have much to see other than sea urchins and broken coral, while Grand Cayman has live coral reefs teeming with fish. I did an Excursion with Nativeway Watersports that included a couple of snorkel stops plus Stingray City, and it left us plenty of time afterwards for shopping and visiting Seven Mile Beach (Grand Cayman will also have the nicest beach of those stops).

Also note that Labadee has a bobsled ride that is very similar to the one at Mystic Mountain (same manufacturer), but without the long drive required. If you buy an all-day pass on Labadee it's just $40 for unlimited rides for two people.

Welcome to cruising, hopefully you will become as addicted to it as many of us are. You chose a beautiful ship for your first one, so much to do if you want and the crew is wonderful.

One of my favorite ports is Cozumel, I will be there again in October. It is easy to get around and I do try to go to Chankanaab. You can grab a cab for $10 and it is a short ride. There is snorkeling, dolphin/sea lion/manatee encounters, food, beach, trails. Google Chankanaab park and it will give you all the amenities. The park was destroyed by the hurricane in 2005 and has been rebuilt beautifully.

I usually cruise solo and many times I will stick to a ships excursion if the distance makes me uncomfortable. Smaller islands I usually book my own excursions if I am not going far. It all depends on your comfort level, many times it is worth the extra expense for me to know the ship will not leave without me. If you choose a ships excursion you might want to book early because many sell out.