Disembarking in Vancouver - please help!

Hi all. My family and I will be disembarking in Vancouver and we have the whole day to sightsee. We will be going on the hop on hop off bus but I'm totally overwhelmed by the number of stops and the things to see. Can anyone offer some advice. We love quaint towns and enjoy nature ( but we wouldn't want to spend the majority of the day on a hike). And we do want to see some of downtown Vancouver. As you can see, I'm all over the place with this. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

I've always wanted to do the hop on hop off bus too, but found that it really took up too much of the time. Check Groupon or other such sights, you may find a coupon.

I prefer the Tour Guys Vancouver "free" walking tours. You will have to find a hotel to store your luggage for the day. I don't have a direct link (it's on my home computer). Just Google it. I've also done the half day Grayline City tour. They will keep your luggage. Not sure if they will deliver you to the airport.

Thanks for responding cr8tive1. I did look at other options but other tours ended or started late or we would have to deal with finding a hotel for our luggage and that seemed a huge hassle. We have from approx. 9 am until about 5pm, when we should start making our way back so that we can take the sky train to the airport. I was thinking that would give us a nice chunk of time at 3 places plus we will get a good overall picture of the whole city and not have to worry about our luggage. I just don't know which places to choose.

Canada Place does have a day storage locker. Inquired last season, but they really don't have any one manning the site until the Alaskan season starts. If you hop off, what do you do with your luggage? I think it was $5.00.

Check out the extensive threads on ports of call, Vancouver. Lots of helpful people.

There is so much to see and do in the area. I understand there is a public bus that takes you to the "other" gorge/suspension bridge without costing an arm and a leg. Second biggest Chinatown in North America. Gaslamp district. Museums and lots of city art works. Granville Island.

Good luck.

We took the Princess bus tour which drove us all around the city & Stanley Park. There was only 1 stop & it was in Stanley Park near the totem poles. It was a good spot for photos of Vancouver & the tour was a good overview of the city to give us an idea of where we'd spend more time visiting the next time.

It took us to VYR at noon so we had too much time before our 4 o'clock flight home. Flying West Jet it was even worse because we had to wait for over an hour until they had personnel to check us in & to accept our luggage. :(

Edited by Astro Flyer

If you take the hop on hop off excursion from the Princess, your luggage gets transported to the airport. That's what makes it so convenient. I will check out the info you mentioned.

I looked at the princess tour but it ended way too early. Our flight out is at 10 pm so we can spend the whole day in Vancouver and would like to see as much as we can without rushing around too much. I thought if I picked maybe 3 places to get off the bus we can see a lot but not feel like we're rushing around too much.

If you check your luggage and are up to some semi serious walking, Vancouver has a huge system of "sea walls" around the city that provide spectacular scenery on a nice day. You can walk west from Canada Place cruise ship terminal (ensure that you are docking at canada Place rather than Ballantyne Pier which is a couple of miles east of downtown) along the sea wall, convention centre, float plane terminal, boat docks and finally into Stanley Park.

The Sky Train to the Airport (be sure you get on thenCanada Line) has a couple of stops downtown and starts at the old Canadian Pacific Railway building / Sea Bus terminal immediately to the east of Canada Place. $5 something each direct to the airport.

There is a free bus from downtown to the foot of aground Mountain in North Vancouver where you can take the aerial tram up to the lodge for spectacular views of Vancouver if it is a nice day.,I think it is $40 each to go up and back down. You can get lunch and do some short walks into the forest while up there.

Aquariums, The Art Gallery, China Town, Gas Town are all within easy walking distance of Canada Place. Gas Town is a good tourist area to walk, just head east a few blocks from Canada Place.

I would consider a hop on hop off bus or a bus tour of the sights and then do some wandering around right downtown on your own. Then Sky Train to the airport. Vancouver airport is better than many for killing time at as well.

I hope you enjoy Vancouver!

Terry

Edited by AE_Collector

We did the hop on, hop off and loved it, spending most of the day getting off and exploring! Stanley Park is magnificent with so much to see and do! And Granville Island was wonderful! You get to spend time in pubs, exploring a wonderful large indoor market with fresh foods, flowers, etc, and experience some wonderful local color. Gas Town was a fun place to walk around with quaint shops and restaurants. Vancouver is truly a lovely town to explore!

Have been looking at the tours of the city and I think Greyline is good.The first one round the city also takes you in Stanley Park,something you must not miss and I think it mentioned Granville Island.

Look them up on the web 'Greyline Vancouver BC':)

Hope the weather is great for you that day...:)

you can also rent a bike and ride around the seawall in Stanley Park and visit the aquarium Did this many years ago with DH and it was one of the best days we had visiting Vancouver. Nice that your luggage is all taken care of with the hop on hop off tour. That is often a problem when disembarking at some ports.

Thank you all so much for all the helpful suggestions. I will probably stick with the hop on hop off bus, having our luggage taken to the airport. I think we will make sure to get to Gas Town, Granville Island and Stanley Park. The bus has stops near each of these places. We may like to end in downtown Vancouver. Can we catch the Sky Train from here or do we need to go back to Canada Place.

Again, thanks so much. I really feel so much better with some idea of what we want to see.

Thank you all so much for all the helpful suggestions. I will probably stick with the hop on hop off bus, having our luggage taken to the airport. I think we will make sure to get to Gas Town, Granville Island and Stanley Park. The bus has stops near each of these places. We may like to end in downtown Vancouver. Can we catch the Sky Train from here or do we need to go back to Canada Place.

Again, thanks so much. I really feel so much better with some idea of what we want to see.

Yes you can get the skytrain from downtown - just make sure that you catch the Canada Line to YVR as there are multiple lines. There is a website that you can go to that has a map http://www.translink.ca/en/Schedules-and-Maps/SkyTrain/SkyTrain-Station-Maps.aspx

Yes you can get the skytrain from downtown - just make sure that you catch the Canada Line to YVR as there are multiple lines. There is a website that you can go to that has a map http://www.translink.ca/en/Schedules-and-Maps/SkyTrain/SkyTrain-Station-Maps.aspx

It's a great system & we used it from YVR to the ship.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Good choices! Canada Place is right downtown. So either enter the old railway terminal immediately east of Canada Place or there is another entrance on the south west corner of Granville street at Georgia which is three to four blocks south of Canada Place.

Terry

VANCOUVER CITY TOUR

I was wondering if anyone has any info or experience with the Vancouver City Tour Excursion offered by NCL. It showed up recently on my available excursions. I am especially interested to know if, since it lists a 9:00 am start time, if you sign up for this, does this pretty much guarantee you will be let off the ships and through customs in time to make this? We are overnighting in Vancouver the day we arrive, and plan to sightsee. My big worry would be that we get delayed getting off the ship for most of the morning. We would have no problem doing self-carry off of our luggage, as we plan one roller suitcase (overhead bin size) and one backpack each.

Did this tour last May - put luggage out the night before and it was waiting for us with no problem. This was on the Pearl at Ballantyne Pier, but had no problems with time - basically the coach driver has a list of people and they wait until everyone is on board. Best way to get off the ship in my opinion - no waiting for cabs! Tour itself was decent especially if you haven't been to Vancouver before (which I have but my sister who was travelling with me had not).

You can also purchase a day pass for the transit system from the skytrain ticket machines. The covers, skytrain, seabus, and all the regular city bus service. Cost is $9.75 for adult and the discounted fair is $7.50. This will also cover the cost of getting out to the airport at the end of the day.

The following link has info on getting to various destinations.

http://www.translink.ca/en/Getting-Around/Destinations-to-Discover.aspx

Edited by em-sk

Looked into the Day Pass. Will probably do that. Only drawback is they are not good for 24 hour period, like most transit passes in most US Cities. Instead they are good for the day issued. At the end of the service day, 11:30 pm, Midnight, or even after if there is service that late, then they are not good. So if I get one at 10am on Monday when I arrive, and want to take Skytrain to the airport early Tuesday morning, I have to pay extra for that Tuesday morning trip. In a US City, I would still be good, for the 24hour time, Like the T in Boston, for example.

A good way to store your luggage is take it upstairs from the Cruise ship terminal to the front door of the Pan Pacific Hotel and tip the doorman to store it for you... All the tour & HOHO buses leave from right in front of the Pan Pacific...

Walk along the promenade to enjoy a new exhibit called Flying over Canada

Take the free shuttle bus to the Capilano Suspension Bridge and or Grouse Mountain...

Walk to GAs Town (3 blocks) due to time restraints take a cab to Stanley Park (or the city bus) not far...

Enjoy a free walking tour of Vancouver

Info on Vancouver from a local!

My favorite must do attractions are

1) Grouse Mountain – http://www.grousemountain.com – this is a wonderful scenic mountain only about 15 mins from downtown Vancouver. Ride the airtram to the top for lots of fun activities that include a loggers show, birds of prey show, 2 movies (1 about the Vancouver area and 1 about the 2 Grizzly Bears who make their home on Grouse Mtn) ride a chair lift higher up the mountain to visit the wind turbine that generates approximately 30% of the power required for Grouse Mountain Resort and visit with 2 live Grizzly Bears. Thrill to a 2 hour Zip Line Tour. Enjoy a meal in any of the restaurants. Caveat only spend the money to go up on a clear day.

2) Capilano Suspension Bridge – http://www.capbridge.com – this is Vancouver’s oldest tourist attraction and I still enjoy visiting it! Located on Capilano Road just before you reach the Grouse Mountain parking lot. Walk across a suspension Bridge over the Capilano Gorge, wonder the trails thru the rain forest, walk thru the treetops on the new Tree Top Adventure, traverse a Cliff Top walk, visit the trading post for a huge selection of souvenirs, watch native weavers and/or carvers at work.

3) Capilano Fish Hatchery is also located on Capilano Road and is a great place to view salmon jumping up the fish ladders to get around the Cleveland Dam. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capilano_River_Regional_Park

4) Lynn Valley Suspension Bridge – http://www.lynncanyon.ca - is also located in North Vancouver and is much less touristy than Capilano but it also is not as spectacular. The bridge is slightly higher above the water but much shorter in span. Located in a Provincial Park this bridge comes with some nice hiking trails and you will find an ecology centre in the park as well as picnic tables and a food concession outlet. Should you choose to enjoy the Lynn Valley Suspension Bridge always cross the suspension bridge first and then hike down the trail to the lower (Twin Falls wooden) bridge to cross back over the Lynn Valley River and return to your car – that way you are hiking downhill rather than uphill. It is also free to visit this suspension bridge!

5) Stanley Park – http://www.vancouver.ca/parks/parks/stanley/ - is the crown jewel of Vancouver's parks. As one of North America's largest urban parks, covering over a 1000 acres and offering an abundance of activities. Enjoy the totem pole collection near the Brockton Point Light House, hiking trails, beaches, water parks for the kids (young & old), rose gardens, miniature train, petting zoo, aquarium –http://www.vanaqua.org – many view points, and several restaurants.

6) Vancouver Aquarium – http://www.vanaqua.org – is Canada’s largest aquarium and is committed to the conservation of marine life and education. Located in Stanley Park this is a fun place for the family to visit.

7) Gas Town – the location where Vancouver originated. The name is derived from a very colorful character named Gassy Jack who was one of the first settlers in the area and a salon keeper – while in Gas Town don’t miss your photo op with the statue of Gassy Jack and by the Steam Clock.

8) At the start of Gas Town is the Harbor Centre Tower http://www.vancouverlookout.com a great spot to start your tour of Vancouver with a birds eye view of the city. Either take the elevator up to the lookout level or go to the top and enjoy a meal in the revolving restaurant.

9) China Town is only about 6 blocks over from Gas Town and is the largest China Town north of San Francisco. While in China Town enjoy a visit to the Dr Sun Yat Sen Classical Gardens http://www.vancouverchinesegarden.com and also make sure you visit the world’s thinnest building it is only 6’ wide!

10) Granville Island – http://www.granvilleisland.com – is a huge public market area which not only sells fruit & veggies but you can also buy frozen fish to be shipped to your home. Many artists make this their home and you can watch them at work in their studios – making this a great place to buy unique souvenirs. The Granville Island Brewery is also located here and you can stop in for a free tour & tastes. There are theatres for live performances and many fine restaurants. A fun way to get to Granville Island is via the Aquabus – http://www.theaquabus.com

11) Burnaby Village Museum – http://www.burnabyvillagemuseum.ca – is an open air museum with over 30 restored homes, shops, school, church and a 1912 carousel situated on 10 acres

12) Gulf of Georgia Cannery – http://www.gulfofgeorgiacannery.com – is a restored fishing cannery located in the historic fishing village of Steveston (part of Richmond). Here you see exhibits that showcase the history of the fishing industry in British Columbia. Once finished in the museum it is great fun to walk along the fishing docks and see the fishing boats which are selling their catch. There are also some excellent restaurants located here.

13) The Vancouver Maritime Museum located on the shore of English Bay is fun for the whole family with lots of hands on exhibits for the kid in all of us. Here to you will find the ship St Roch which the RCMP sailed from Vancouver to Halifax via the Northwest Passage and then completed the return journey in 1944. You actually get to tour this ship. http://www.vancouvermaritimemuseum.com

14) Queen Elizabeth Park http://www.vancouver.ca/parks/parks/queenelizabeth The 130 acre (52 hectare) park is one of the most beautifully maintained public parks in the world. Second only to Stanley Park in annual visitations, it receives nearly 6 million people a year who marvel at its superior standard of garden plantings.

The park was originally quarried for its rock which served to build Vancouver's first roadways. In 1929 the Board proceeded to acquire the property which had become an abandoned eyesore but still served as the site for two holding reservoirs for the City's drinking water. Dedicated as a park by King George VI and his consort, Queen Elizabeth (the present Queen's mother) on their much lauded visit to Vancouver in 1939.

15) Fort Langley is the restored wooden fort built by the Hudson’s Bay Company as a trading post. It is the origin of British Columbia and was the first capital. This Fort is operated by the Federal Parks Board. http://www.fortlangley.org

16) If you are a wine lover you might want to rent a car and spend a day visiting a few of the many excellent wineries located in the Fraser Valley only about a 1 hour drive from your hotel. Almost all of the wineries offer free tastes & tours. Two of the wineries have excellent restaurants on the premises. This makes for a very fun and relaxing day. Check out the Fraser Valley Wine Association web site for a map of winery locations and a brief description of each winery http://www.fvwa.ca

17) If you are a real animal lover than don’t miss “Mountain View Conservation & Breeding Centre” It is located in Fort Langley about an hour drive from downtown Vancouver. Mountain View Conservation and Breeding Centre is a leading non-profit Canadian facility that breeds endangered species in family groups for re-introduction back into their natural habitat in Canada and around the world. This facility is not a zoo their goal is to breed rare and endangered wildlife and re-introduce these animals back into their natural habitats. Presently Mountainview hosts over 50 species of the world’s most threatened animals and birds. See animals such as the spotted dog from Africa, Giraffes, and much much more. Here you do not wonder around as in a zoo rather you are given a guided tour with commentary on each animal group. Check it out at http://www.mtnviewconservation.org

18) VanDusen Botanical Garden is a scenic 55- acre garden of international renown – a living museum of plants collected from around the world and artistically displayed amidst rolling lawns, woodlands and five tranquil lakes, all in the heart of Vancouver and just 15 minutes from downtown.

Due to Vancouver’s mild climate, plants bloom at the Garden year-round. This same climate creates a unique environment where plants from varying climate regions thrive and grow – at VanDusen you will see plants from the southern hemisphere, tropical areas and the high Arctic tundra along side native species. The Elizabethan Maze (one of only six in North America) provides year-round fun.

19) UBC Botanical Garden located at the University of British Columbia covers 110 acres and includes an Alpine, Asian, Native, Food, and Japanese Gardens. http://www.ubcbotanicalgarden.org

20) Enjoy a FREE walking tour of Vancouver. The Gastown tour starts in front of the Vancouver Art Gallery and ends at the statue of Gassy Jack in Gastown. The Downtown tour starts at the Vancouver Art Gallery and ends at the Olympic Cauldron. The China Town tour starts at the Vancouver Art Gallery and ends at the Chinese memorial statue. All of these tours start at 11am. The Granville Island Tour starts at 3pm at the bus stop just at the entrance to Granville Island. Check these tours out at http://www.tourguys.ca The Tour Guys have added an afternoon walking tour of Granville Island and 2 evening tours….

21) A new addition I have just found for the FOODIES in the gang! Check out http://www.offtheeatentrack.com this company offers culinary tasting tours of various areas of Vancouver. I did the Railtown Urban Eats tour and it was Fabulous! This tour would blend well with the free walking tour offered by http://www.tourguys.ca … you could easily do the free walking tour and then meet up with this tour company for this tour for your lunch - the food is plentiful & wonderful you will not leave this tour hungry!

Vancouver has a bunch of hop-on hop-off buses

http://www.vancouverpinkbustours.com/

http://www.vancouvertrolley.com/tours/hop-on-hop-off

http://bigbus.ca/home/

Looked into the Day Pass. Will probably do that. Only drawback is they are not good for 24 hour period, like most transit passes in most US Cities. Instead they are good for the day issued. At the end of the service day, 11:30 pm, Midnight, or even after if there is service that late, then they are not good. So if I get one at 10am on Monday when I arrive, and want to take Skytrain to the airport early Tuesday morning, I have to pay extra for that Tuesday morning trip. In a US City, I would still be good, for the 24hour time, Like the T in Boston, for example.

Day Passes end at end of service, which is about 4am on the night buses and around 2am for most of the Skytrain routes. Adding a oneway to the airport the next day is $4. (or 1/5 of the cost of a taxi from FLL to the cruise port)

Day Passes end at end of service, which is about 4am on the night buses and around 2am for most of the Skytrain routes. Adding a oneway to the airport the next day is $4. (or 1/5 of the cost of a taxi from FLL to the cruise port)

That's what I meant by same day (end of service), just wasn't sure of the time it ended.

Like I said, I'll probably still do that. It just would have been nice if it were full days, 24 hours for a day pass or if there were a 5 day pass, that would be 120 hours, etc.

That's what I meant by same day (end of service), just wasn't sure of the time it ended.

Like I said, I'll probably still do that. It just would have been nice if it were full days, 24 hours for a day pass or if there were a 5 day pass, that would be 120 hours, etc.

You can purchase books of ten prepaid 90 minute tickets at a discount, and coming very soon is the compass card which is a tap in tap out system