Eclipse Transatlantic - Reassurance :-)

delirious9876

Hi All

I did my first Celebrity cruise last year on Infinity and didn't enjoy it very much. I tend to like large ships better and also the spacious royal promenade walkway type features off Royal Caribbean's larger vessels.

However . . . I've just booked a 13 day transatlantic on Celebrity Eclipse for April. With your vast wisdom and expertise around cruising Celebrity does anyone have any comments about how I will find Eclipse based on what I've said in my thread.

Thanks a lot

I never know how to answer these questions.

We are on the same cruise. This is our second trans-atlantic, after doing the Equinox last year. WE loved every single minute of that cruise because it was relaxing, yet fun. There was lots to do if you wanted to and plenty of down-time if you wanted to veg. It is not port-intensive, but there are enough stops to make life interesting.

I have never been on the Infinity but think the S-class ships are beautiful.

Likewise I have never been on RC but know that the walking deck on the S-Class ships frequently gets scorn heaped upon it for a variety of reasons. Not sure if thats what you are asking about?

Edited by DavidYYC

The S-class ships (I've only sailed Equinox and Solstice) are a bit larger than the M-class. The ships are going to be similar in decor and style as Infinity (which I have sailed)- just newer with larger spaces and more dining options.

The Eclipse is not like the larger Freedom Class Royal Ships. There is no Royal Promenade. There are shops of course but they are not the hub of the ship.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

Hi All

I did my first Celebrity cruise last year on Infinity and didn't enjoy it very much. I tend to like large ships better and also the spacious royal promenade walkway type features off Royal Caribbean's larger vessels.

However . . . I've just booked a 13 day transatlantic on Celebrity Eclipse for April. With your vast wisdom and expertise around cruising Celebrity does anyone have any comments about how I will find Eclipse based on what I've said in my thread.

Thanks a lot

I've sailed on both the Infinity and the Eclipse (TAs on both). To me, the Infinity is a very comfortably-sized ship, but it totally lacks the "wow" factor of the Eclipse/S-class ships. You may enjoy the Eclipse better simply because of that "wow" factor, and also because it is newer and larger (although it never felt crowded; great use of space).

I've never sailed on Royal Caribbean, so I can't compare that to the Eclipse, but I will tell you that there is no true "promenade" deck on the Eclipse. If that's critically important to you, then you'll be disappointed. But the Eclipse is a beautiful ship and as much as I also love promenade decks, the absence of one will not keep me from booking an S-class ship again. In fact, we'll be on the Silhouette's fall TA.

Have a great crossing!

• 2 years later...
Hi,

The four of us need transfer from Southampton to London Heathrow Airport on April 30th after our ship Celebrity Eclipse arrives. Can you suggest a good way to do it?

Fat Lady

Hi, Take a taxi to the National Express Coach station (cost £6-7 for 4 passengers) and is only minutes away The Coach will have you at Heathrow in 1hr 45 mins cost £20.10 per person (this is the Senior fare) on the 8.05am and 9.45 am service. It is a direct service and a very pleasant ride. There are later services but as you did not give an indication of your return flight, I have rightly or wrongly assumed it would be after lunch.

The train is also a pleasant ride, but certainly isn't as straightforward and would involve the tube which from experience, Saturday is always mega busy in the City I have no idea how much a private car would be but if it is £100, you could arrive in style for not much more.

I don't understand WHY if you did not enjoy your cruise you would book another with celebrity. of course having said that I don't know the reasons why you did not enjoy it but, were it me......i think i would try a different line if i did not like my experience on Celebrity

Hi All

Thanks a lot

If you are looking for a mall like promanade such as found on the Royal ships, you will not find it on Celebrity's ships. You will find that the vibe on S class ships is very similar to that on M class ships. Since a TA has so many sea days, you may be better off enjoying the crossing on a Royal Caribbean ship, & one that is larger than their Radiance class. Whichever you choose, enjoy your choice!

As others mentioned there is no promenade on any Celebrity ship- so no activities like the parades/parties in the Promenade. The Grand Foyer on the S class ships is used for theme nights (not a frequent thing on X) and other "events" but it is small so most folks viewing must do so from above.

If you use things like the mini-golf, ice rink, Rockwell, flow rider on Royal you won't find these on Celebrity.

Sea days on X will have things like cooking demos, wine tastings (fee), trivia, bingo, guest speakers, putting contests, egg drop contest, guest vs officers contests, fitness classes (free & fee).

Hope this helps.

Hi,

The four of us need transfer from Southampton to London Heathrow Airport on April 30th after our ship Celebrity Eclipse arrives. Can you suggest a good way to do it?

Fat Lady

To meet your fellow cruisers, join the roll call at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2133195

You can probably "buddy up" with others and do a private transfer.

Betsy

This is a 2014 question. Not sure how and why this got resurrected, but since it did, I would be interested in hearing how it turned out.

Wow, didn't realize that. Good catch! I got curious, & looked up the OP's history. They sailed Independence to the Seas TA that spring, so opted for the promanade.

The best way is by train. The station is less than a 5 minute taxi ride from the port. We did it a couple years ago and really enjoyed the trip. It seems like it took about 2 or 21/2 hrs. You should go online and search "train from Southampton to LHR". The cost was very reasonable.

Cruise/train/or Ship. so will ad my input to transportation from South Hampton.

While trains are nice, but not sure it does not have a transfer. National Express bus line will take you directly to the Airport with only a stop or two. The bus terminal is close to the port. Price is very reasonable.