it amazes me how people pay for what used to be free

MISSSNOOPYGIRL

My examples are FTTF and specialty dining restaurants onboard. I even don't understand paying for the specialty shakes and desserts, or cappuccinos in the dining room. I'll just stick to regular coffee thanks, even though I previously enjoyed their (free) cappuccinos. I am not cheap by any means but I am savvy. I refuse to patronize specialty restaurants (the MDR food is wonderful enough, as it should be), and in my opinion first to the fun may only save you a half hour here and there. Are people that impatient? You're on a cruise, it's not like you have to get to work in a hurry! What's next, charging to have your luggage delivered to your stateroom? Where does it end? That's right, why WOULD the nickel and diming by Carnival end if everyone keeps shelling out?

Its a free country and we all can make our own choices and spend our vacation money as we please. I applaud carnival for keeping their prices where they are at giving the costs increases of food and gas and other increases they have to keep track of. Things are not getting any cheaper.. Since its going to take alot more cruising to get the priority boarding than it used to, i think fttf is a great idea especially for big families.

I encourage you to look up the thread "Does Carnival lose money on you" and judge for yourself why some services that were free before now cost money. It's amazing how money people exploit the system and then complain why things cost more. It's no secret businesses have struggled since the recession in 2008 and the travel industry was one of the hardest hit. Our cruise last week was the cheapest of the 4 we have ever been on but yes there are a few more "pay for" services but guess what, that's happening everywhere. Taken a flight lately? The only thing your ticket gets you now is on the plane. Not bags, food, TV or anything else. We bought FTTF on our most recent cruise and loved it, will purchase again in a heartbeat.

Edited by L&J

My examples are FTTF and specialty dining restaurants onboard. I even don't understand paying for the specialty shakes and desserts, or cappuccinos in the dining room. I'll just stick to regular coffee thanks, even though I previously enjoyed their (free) cappuccinos. I am not cheap by any means but I am savvy. I refuse to patronize specialty restaurants (the MDR food is wonderful enough, as it should be), and in my opinion first to the fun may only save you a half hour here and there. Are people that impatient? You're on a cruise, it's not like you have to get to work in a hurry! What's next, charging to have your luggage delivered to your stateroom? Where does it end? That's right, why WOULD the nickel and diming by Carnival end if everyone keeps shelling out?

So you are not a fan of the new concerts? On board thats gonna have a extra cost?

Life is about choices and I'm grateful for that.

Just like I'm happy that I don't have to pay 99 extra cents to get onion rings instead of fries unless I want them at a local fast food, I'm glad I don't have to pay extra for alcoholic drinks, spa treatments, gambling, priority boarding, milkshakes, specialty coffee, specialty dining, photos, etc unless I want them.

Keep the extras optional and prices low intead of charging me a higher price for things that I may not care about!

This makes perfect sense to me. I'd rather pay for the premium things that I want as opposed to paying a higher cruise fare for things that I may not use. To me, that is the better value for my dollar.

I consider the extra fees to be user fees. Much like the government charges a fee to visit a public park instead of raising everyone's taxes to support the park.

With user fees I have a choice to pay or not.

Very well said and I agree. All cruise lines have charges for extras beyond the basic fare and I like being able to choose the ones I want. However, what I don't agree with is the COST of the extras the cruise lines charge, including Carnival! For example, I can't imagine paying $39 for a steak or $1.95 + 15 % for a coke, and can you imagine some folks bar bill.....wowza! But then others might think these are well worth it. For my wife and me, the FTTF for $50 that Carnival offers is a God send and am so willing to pay it. Not so we can get ahead of other but because she has back problems and I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and standing or walking for a long period of time causes us both pain. In another post one person said "the steak house charge is well worth it but thought the FTTF was a ripoff." It just goes to show that we are all different in what matters to us and what we're willing to pay to enjoy those extras. Moral of story....regardless of what matters to us and the cost, be kind and considerate of other people's opinions. You don't have to agree with me, but you should be considerate in your response to me. Same goes for the OP (original poster).

1988, Sovereign of the Seas RCI $1500 per person 7 day cruise inside (very tiny cabin)

No dinner buffet (all dinners in dining room with dress code)

no 24 hour pizza

no specialty stations at buffet

no sushi

etc..

We loved it and had a blast

We can now cruise 7 days for as little as $500

3 meal buffets with specialty stations

24 hour pizza

24 hour ice cream

brunch

upgraded bedding and linens

sushi

ships offer MUCH more in the way of activities, water slides, mini golf, serenity areas, etc...

I for one enjoy having a low base fare and the option to decide what I want to pay for. There isn't much that I did in the past, that I have to pay for now.

Edited by bakechef

If people are dumb enough to pay 5 bucks for a cup of coffee on land, why wouldn't they do it on a ship?

Edited by walty

That is what makes the world go round some prefer NCL some prefer Princess line.....I really enjoy Carnival (and yes I have tried the others as well). My most memorable cruises have been on Carnival! I love the Steakhouse and think it is worth every cent of the $35!!!! I am really excited to try all the choices on the Breeze (we go Sept 13 of this year) .

I would not pay for FTTF (I have been Platinum for a while so I have been enjoying the perks for free) BUT if people want to purchase FTTF then more power to them!

Our next cruise will be the first time I try the Cheers program as well, again different strokes for different folks.

The nice thing is you can have a GREAT time either way.....if you are on a budget or if you have more play money, either way you are ON A CRUISE and your gonna have a GREAT time!!!! I remember when we could not afford all the extras so we had to watch our budget but we ALWAYS had a good time!!!

I love meeting new people on cruises from ALL walks of life and all kinds of backgrounds, have made some really wonderful friends over the years of cruising!!!

Live and let live I say......there is no wrong or right to cruising.....just don't stop cruising if it can be avoided LOL!!!

I agree 100%....Im not paying an extra cent!

The cruise lines test it out and BINGO, they find out that people are willing to "PAY" extra for food and shows!! Suckers!! ...........FTTF is another waste of $50 bucks!

Pretty soon we will be saying....

Oh I Remember the days when restaurants and shows came with the price of the cruise. Not anymore.....

Edited by limoguy1

EXACTLY !

Inside cabin on the TROPICALE doing the Mexican Riviera at least 25 years ago -- $699 per person !

Just for Shiggles I have a 1993 Cruise Guide handy and cabins on the Tropicale are listed as $1149(only nine available), to a high of $2329 (12 available) with an average price of $1619.

Mardi Gras was $579 for a 4 day.

Holiday was 899-$2079. NO BALCONIES!

Ecstasy minimum inside price was $1149.

Now, of course those were brochure rates and subject to discounts and such, but undeniably cruising USED to be more expensive.

However, in the race to the bottom I think too many things are becoming optional/upcharge. It changes the "feeling" of the vacation. Maybe I am not doing well at putting it into words. It's starting to feel like, to me, that they are always in your wallet for a little more. I'd honestly be happier if the base fare rose a little and we saw some of the old time service and events return. Do I want old cruise fares back and cruising to be the more rigid formal events they used to be? Not necessarily, but a little sway back to the inclusive sort of vacation would be nice and I'd pay a bit more for some of it.

You're right, we can't have it all. Fortunately, or unfortunately, depending on your viewpoint, the only thing that seems to matter anymore is being able to advertise the absolute rock bottom down and dirty cheapest fare possible. You can still enjoy your trip without spending any more, but for those that have cruised in the past the experience is a lot different; in many good ways and in many not so good ways.

Edited by LMaxwell

The number of extra fee amenities now is fine with me.

But the addition of more and more extra fee things seems to have increased and it worries me a bit that they are heading toward the old class system.

We used to go to wdw a lot, but they have priced it out of my economic reality.

I wonder how long we will be able to afford to cruise.

Time will tell.

It amazes me that you just don't get it.... NOTHING was ever "free"... It was included in your fare... Fares are lower or the same as they were 25 years ago yet all the costs have gone up cosiderably. Instead of rasing all the fares, the cruise lines have figured out a way to stay profitable with a low base fare by giving the guests..... CHOICES!! It can't be both ways. You want everything included, be prepared to have the fare go up around 50%. Some people aren't interested and just want the lowest price point for a vacation... Others want to spend more for an upgraded experience. Why should those who aren't interested in those things subsidize it for those who are? What is so hard to understand about that?

Cruise lines are in business to make a profit. This isn't a secret.... If you want everything included in your base fare, there are other upscale lines that do this. Of course, you don't pay $79 a day....

Excellent points! And as a TA, I might add, that other lines have Specialty restaurants that have an added fee. However, you will not cruise on one of those ships for the cruise rate you pay for a Carnival cruise! So, stop complaining! If you don't want to pay to eat in the Steakhouse,...don't! But we love to have that option, and in our opinion, the Steak in there is well worth every cent of the added cost. If you don't want to pay for a specialty coffee, then drink the "free" coffee. I, personally love the frozen coffees in the specialty shops. They taste as good as Starbucks, for half the price. The cruise line has to make a profit on the "extras". Because they darned sure are not making it off of the excellent cruise fares we are paying them!

As I am sure as has been mentioned it comes down to choice- if charging for the extra stuff keeps the base cruise fare low I am all for it and then I can decide what extras (if any) I want to add.

As for NCL nickle and diming, they offer more choices and they aggressively market those choices which leads to the impression that you are paying for things on board that you don't pay for on other lines, which is a false impression. On our upcoming cruise DW and I are actually planning having our first dinner in a specialty restaurant because we want to, not because we feel we have to.

DW and I have only eaten in Specialty Restaurants 2 times, 1 each on CCL and RCCL. We haven't purchased photos in a really long time, and very seldom book ship excursions. We do go to coffee shops on board, as we do this at home.

All of the upcharges as mentioned are a choice, not mandatory, so what's the big deal. CCL is not the only line that has added these venues, as we have seen the same on RCCL. Can't speak for other lines as we have not sailed. Unless I have actually sailed on a line, I can not offer any comments.

I tried to quote a poster, but evidently the site is messed up and won't let me.

Edited by Georgiagolfer
spelling

As far as additional upcharges, why do people book different rooms? I can book an inside and get basically the same things as far as everyone else. You pay an upcharge to book an ocean view, and then more to book a balcony, then even more to book a suite. You pay different prices based on location on the ship.

If I used the OP's logic, just book the lowest fare and lowest room, and get the same cruise. We all determine what is important to us,and spend what we feel comfortable with. My money, my choice, simple to me.

EXACTLY !

Inside cabin on the TROPICALE doing the Mexican Riviera at least 25 years ago -- $699 per person !

Carnival does not make the revue from selling cabins they make the big $$$ from the alcohol and the excursions. You are right the cruise fares have not gone up too much but see how much the alcohol and beer cost back then let alone the cost of the excursions compared to the prices now.

Gary

Edited by Shipbound

WHen you compare something as simple as the cost of Diesel fuel several years ago ($0.89 cents a gallon) vs now ($3.50 a gallon), that is HUGE from a cost perspective. Yet, they have kept fares to where most people can still afford to sail. Carnival is a business and they have to make money somehow. They have managed to keep fares low by introducing some other options that you have to pay for to help boost the experience. If you "refuse" to patronize any of the specialty restaurants, you do not know what you are missing....for what you get, they are simply the best bargain at sea. Go to any restaurant on land...they have raised prices over the years to keep up with costs. Do you refuse to patronize those? How about a car...do you refuse to buy a car because the prices have gone up over the years? Do you fly? what about that...they charge an extra fuel surcharge because of the price of jet fuel. Do you refuse to fly because of that? It doesn't matter where you go. The cost of stuff has gone way up and as such, companies have to raise the prices for the services that we use. Yes, everyone can decide to "boycot" the specialty restaurants, FTTF, etc...but that will not have the desired effect that you are searching for...i.e. Carnival will just get rid of those and go back to everything for free....what Carnival will be forced to do at that point is raise the cruise fare for everyone so they can meet their margins...then everyone will complain that it is too expensive to cruise......my $.02

I'm just thankful I can board a decent American cruise ship

for the low prices we all enjoy in 2014

-and not some dumpy lil Euro-boat that bobs all over the ocean!.....

Shhhhh! Don't let the IRS find out that those are American ships, Carnival might have to start paying income taxes if they do!;)

Life is about choices and I'm grateful for that.

Just like I'm happy that I don't have to pay 99 extra cents to get onion rings instead of fries unless I want them at a local fast food, I'm glad I don't have to pay extra for alcoholic drinks, spa treatments, gambling, priority boarding, milkshakes, specialty coffee, specialty dining, photos, etc unless I want them.

Keep the extras optional and prices low instead of charging me a higher price for things that I may not care about!

Ditto! And I didn't pay that extra .99 throughout this past year so that I could save and spend it on all the extras I want on vacation! We are extreme couponers and one of my main purposes of that is so that when we go on vacation, we can splurge. This is our first cruise but we typically take 1-2 week vacations in the mountains each year, sometimes a couple of times a year with various weekend getaways in between. Two weeks, in a hotel or cabin, food, eating out, going to all the shows, buying what we want is the way we choose to spend our money we have saved each year. This year, we saved so we could splurge on our 10th anniversary! Aft wrap balcony, bottle of Dom Perignon, specialty restaurants, FTTF, Cheers- all expenses that we are CHOOSING because we have saved and that is what WE want to spend our money on.

when you compare something as simple as the cost of diesel fuel several years ago ($0.89 cents a gallon) vs now ($3.50 a gallon), that is huge from a cost perspective. Yet, they have kept fares to where most people can still afford to sail. Carnival is a business and they have to make money somehow. They have managed to keep fares low by introducing some other options that you have to pay for to help boost the experience. If you "refuse" to patronize any of the specialty restaurants, you do not know what you are missing....for what you get, they are simply the best bargain at sea. Go to any restaurant on land...they have raised prices over the years to keep up with costs. Do you refuse to patronize those? How about a car...do you refuse to buy a car because the prices have gone up over the years? Do you fly? What about that...they charge an extra fuel surcharge because of the price of jet fuel. Do you refuse to fly because of that? It doesn't matter where you go. The cost of stuff has gone way up and as such, companies have to raise the prices for the services that we use. Yes, everyone can decide to "boycot" the specialty restaurants, fttf, etc...but that will not have the desired effect that you are searching for...i.e. Carnival will just get rid of those and go back to everything for free....what carnival will be forced to do at that point is raise the cruise fare for everyone so they can meet their margins...then everyone will complain that it is too expensive to cruise......my $.02

like!

OP - Like you I don't pay for a lot of extras. We eat in the main dining room, and I have to say that I truly am impressed with the quality of the food given the number of people that are served and the low price. The steakhouse doesn't appeal to us that much as steak is not really our thing / not the type of restaurant we go to on an occasional splurge. I also am one of those who wouldn't pay for the front of line option either. Although, if I had a tight airline connection on the back end, it could be a necessity and I'd do it in that case.

Like other posters have said though, cost have gone up, cruise lines have pretty thin margins, they are keeping overall base fares low, and need to make up the difference somewhere. // Sometimes they do a cruise show on the travel channel -- very eye opening about how full they need to keep their boats, how much they need to make on various extras, etc. to make a profit (stay a float per say -- lol)

Not a big cruiser / But his March I'll be doing my fifth cruise (first one was in 83, second in 94, third in 2007, fourth in 2012, and fifth this coming March -- Carnival out of San Juan).

My disclaimer: I have not sailed on Carnival but have read a lot of reviews from satisfied customers. In a couple of months we will be going on our third cruise. On our first cruise my DH paid for a an Premium Non-Alcohol Beverage card. Neither one of us drinks alcohol but he likes specialty coffees and enjoyed the freedom using the card gave him and he definitely got his money's worth. I was not interested in the card as I am a regular coffee, water or lemonade drinker.

We paid $150.00 each for the Ultimate ship tour. Totally worth it but we agreed that would be a "one time thing" and don't need to do it again. We both really loved going to the engine room, bridge, laundry, kitchen and seeing all the behind the scenes goings on. Very cool. We do not gamble so that is not an area we spend money...but I understand a lot of folks enjoy the casino...best of luck to you. Last cruise we had dinner with a couple that won $1,500! I was so excited and I wasn't the winner haha

We also paid extra for a cabana on Princess Cay. It was an extravagance for sure but we wanted to treat ourselves to the privacy, changing space, shower and feeling that we were on a special date. It was worth every penny to us...others might feel that this was a waste of money.

I, too, love getting to make choices and the freedom that a cruise offers. My DH is a chef and loves to try different restaurants so we always go to at least two of the specialty restaurants while on board. We like the dining rooms and I love the buffet for lunch but we understand these are not the choices everyone would make. Some people use the spa...I prefer to get my nails done at my home salon.

This does not make me wiser or thriftier. There are some things I don't mind spending money on...other things I decide to "pass." After seven years of using the same luggage I just bought two new pieces. Is this a necessary expense? Probably not...my old pieces, mismatched and a bit raggedy though they are, are still functional. I will donate them to the local Red Cross and thoroughly enjoy the new pieces.

I think my "live and let live" is getting better. Sometimes I can even see how other people's choices have helped me to see what I value and want in my own life so thanks everyone for staying true to yourself. And hey...I hope you have a great cruise...whenever and wherever it takes you :)

Caribbean Princess~Western Caribbean~April 2014

Celebrity Millennium~Alaska~July 2014

Celebrity Reflection~Eastern Caribbean~February 2013

Crown Princess~Western Caribbean~February 2011

I think my "live and let live" is getting better. Sometimes I can even see how other people's choices have helped me to see what I value and want in my own life so thanks everyone for staying true to yourself. And hey...I hope you have a great cruise...whenever and wherever it takes you :)

LIKE!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app