Bringing our 2 bottles of wine on board...

TequilaToo

I've read that it's best to put your allowed 2 bottles of wine in your carry-on baggage. Is this strictly necessary? We plan on boarding early and don't really want to lug them around with us until the cabins open.

It is not forbidden to put them in your luggage. However, you will need to make sure they are wrapped well to protect your clothes --and others clothes.

You may be called to the naughty room. Some people are and others are not.

I've read that it's best to put your allowed 2 bottles of wine in your carry-on baggage. Is this strictly necessary? We plan on boarding early and don't really want to lug them around with us until the cabins open.

Not sure that it is strictly necessary, but it is recommended and preferred. I think the two main concerns with putting it your checked luggage is possible breakage and that you will likely be called down to do a luggage inspection with security on board to confirm that it is only wine. We just usually use a small wheel bag for our carry on stuff and put it in there - not as convenient as having it check in for you but not that difficult.

Just curious how they enforce the 2 bottle limit. We're planning on checking in early and then leaving the ship for more sightseeing. I'm wondering if we could carry a couple of bottles on when we check in and a couple more several hours later when we return?

Just curious how they enforce the 2 bottle limit. We're planning on checking in early and then leaving the ship for more sightseeing. I'm wondering if we could carry a couple of bottles on when we check in and a couple more several hours later when we return?

My guess will that when you first check in they will take note of what alcohol you may have brought on board and you won't get away with bringing more on as you're searched every time you board the ship.

This very much depends on the staff at the terminal. On several cruises, I just had to show my bottles to someone at a table just past the magnetometers/bag scanners. They just looked at the bottles and sent me on my way. No one took note of my cabin number. On one other cruise, they asked for me room card and made some notation rather quickly on a sheet of paper, not sure what exactly they wrote down. The only thing consistent with the wine check in procedure is inconsistency! :eek:

The only thing consistent with the wine check in procedure is inconsistency! :eek:

Yep--on one of our recent cruises the couple we traveled with brought 6 bottles of rum from the Bacardi factory [in Bacardi Bags] onto the ship. The bags were very noticeable and you can image 6 bottles of rum was 2 large bag. :D

They bought them as gifts for their kids and tried to give them to 2 different people. Both told them to go on. They eventualy carried them on the ship and took them to their room. [no they did not drink them, they were not rum drinkers. LOL]

Just wondering what you plan to do with your wine after you check in early. You can't leave it in your cabin as you will not have access to it until at least noon. In any event, I've little patience for those who try to scam the system. Pretty soon the cruiseline figures things out and we all lose the privilege that was so recently returned to us.

There are many wine drinkers and I think the real issue is the cruise line industry needs to be more reasonable with the wine pricing. Charging 3 and 4 times what the wine is worth is ridiculous not to mention some of the quality of wines offered in the packages.

In any event, I've little patience for those who try to scam the system. Pretty soon the cruiseline figures things out and we all lose the privilege that was so recently returned to us.

You beat me to it. Let's abuse the system and spoil it for everyone.:mad:

We won't be bringing wine aboard for the next trip. We spent a lot of time and effort making sure we brought what we would drink on board the last time and then never drank it. This time we fly to the port, so it was good to have the experience before this to know we won't be missing anything.

There are many wine drinkers and I think the real issue is the cruise line industry needs to be more reasonable with the wine pricing. Charging 3 and 4 times what the wine is worth is ridiculous not to mention some of the quality of wines offered in the packages.

Prices are in line with land-based restaurant and bar wine prices, averaging about 3 times the retail price.

That said, I'm not all that enamored with their wine selection.

My guess will that when you first check in they will take note of what alcohol you may have brought on board and you won't get away with bringing more on as you're searched every time you board the ship.

Princess does that - after security you stop at a table and they register the bottles you have. RCI has not yet started doing so. But one key difference is that one may bring an unlimited amount of wine onboard Princess - you have to pay $15/bottle for every bottle over the one per adult that they allow for free. RCI only lets you have 2 bottles, period. I'd happily check in my bottles if I could bring additional ones and pay corkage.

I think the wine pricing at the mid and upper ranges is quite fair - 1.5-3x retail, the same as (sometimes less than) you would find in a land restaurant in LA. The less expensive wines are marked up as much as 4-5x retail, which I think is outrageous (but I've seen that on land, too).

We have found several wines on the package that we enjoy greatly - if you look at some of the higher-priced ones on the list, you'll find that the savings are significant.

Can you just bring two bottles on, or do they charge a corkage fee?

There is no charge unless you bring your wine to a dining venue. Then they are supposed to charge $25 corkage (I think that's the amount), but often do not.

Not sure that it is strictly necessary, but it is recommended and preferred. I think the two main concerns with putting it your checked luggage is possible breakage and that you will likely be called down to do a luggage inspection with security on board to confirm that it is only wine. We just usually use a small wheel bag for our carry on stuff and put it in there - not as convenient as having it check in for you but not that difficult.

Likely is maybe a bit strong in this case. Odds are you won't be called down there, especially if it is wine which has a very distinctive look compared to vodka in an sealed bottle of water or green tinted whiskey trying to pass for mouth wash. You're allowed to bring the win, not the booze.

Edited by okiecruiser71

Likely is maybe a bit strong in this case. Odds are you won't be called down there, especially if it is wine which has a very distinctive look compared to vodka in an sealed bottle of water or green tinted whiskey trying to pass for mouth wash. You're allowed to bring the win, not the booze.

But many wine bottles look the same as a fifth of hard liquor.

You apparently missed thread started by a passenger who was outraged that he had to spend time waiting in line to claim his suitcase that contained wine instead of booze. Terribly upset that not only did he not get an apology but also had to haul his heavy bag back to his cabin.

You apparently missed thread started by a passenger who was outraged that he had to spend time waiting in line to claim his suitcase that contained wine instead of booze. Terribly upset that not only did he not get an apology but also had to haul his heavy bag back to his cabin.

Yeah I saw it and didn't get it. To me, as a smuggler in the past, you do it with the knowledge that you may be called out on it. To get mad that you "lost" in the smuggling game is pretty weak sauce. Take it like a man.