Champagne Surprise planning

cruise_bunnies

Hello people,

I hate champagne, but we are sailing with my parents (who love it) and Mr. cruise_bunny loves it even more. So, my idea was to bring aboard a bottle for our sail away or dinner at the first day. I have no problem paying the corkage fee.

Currently sail away stands at 4pm, which is a bit early for us to have a drink so I'm leaning towards dinner. I want it to be a surprise, so my idea would be to wrap the bottle claiming it's safer for transport. Is that a problem when we enter the ship? Do I need to show that it's champagne? Secondly, how do I get the bottle to the dinner table? Can I just uh, bring it with me? Do I need to give it to my cabin steward (is that done?).

I'm guessing they won't drink the whole bottle, and I know we can have it for another night. Is it a faux pas to wait to for the first formal? It's probably the day after (sea day), but maybe not, so is it bad to want to wait to drink it? I'm not sure how they store the bottles. We use the brand VacuVin so it stays ok for a few days (it makes the bottle vacuum again). If they don't they better drink the whole bottle or it won't be drinkable. Can we ask for the bottle to be transferred to the bar to have a glass after dinner?

Am I forgetting anything that I should know under the new policy?

Yes -- you can take your bottle of champagne to the dining room with you. If you don't finish the entire bottle, they will tag it with your name and cabin number and save it for you. Or you can take it to a bar/lounge with you. I am not sure how you are going to keep it chilled as you move from the dining room to the bat/lounge.

As to taking the bottle onto the ship. Just make certain that you keep it with you and your carry-on luggage.

Thanks for the reply Krazy Kruizers. I forgot about keeping it chilled. Did I mention I don't like champagne? :rolleyes: I guess I'll tell the three of them to drink the whole bottle :D:cool:

Edited to add: I just realized that means they have to drink 8 glasses between the 3 of them. Maybe a bit too much. Now I'm thinking of bringing the vacuum stuff myself and letting them drink it the next day.

Edited by cruise_bunnies

I hope it works out for you.

I know that the champagne we get at home -- 750 ml bottles -- we get only 5 glasses out of a bottle.

Maybe you have bigger glasses? I read up online and they say that if you have the flute glasses (which are small) you should be getting 8 glasses out of a 750ml bottle.

I'm glad we are sailing out of our home port - I can just pack loads of stuff and it doesn't matter if it gets used or not.

A typical Champagne flute holds a 6 oz pour. You should get roughly 4 or 5 servings with a splash left over. Sparkling wine loses its effervescence pretty quickly. While you can save it with a Champagne stopper, it won't be as good on the 2nd night.

To chill it initially, you can put it in your ice bucket. A caveat though - The neck won't get cooled because the bucket is quite a bit shorter than the bottle. This is undesirable because you get warm wine in the initial pour, and often get too much pop because of the temperature differential.

There are a couple of solutions. One is to chill the base and then gently turn the bottle upside down and chill the neck for about a half hour. The second method is one we call the MacGyver. Pack a wastepaper basket size trash bag and twist tie. Put the bottle in the bag and fill with ice. (Adding cold water will reduce the cooling time.) Seal the bag with the twister and place in your tub, shower, or sink. Allow around 30 minutes minimum for chilling. When you are ready to leave for dinner, open the bag, allowing the water and ice to run down the drain. Wipe the bottle with a towel. You can also by an Ice Bag (search Amazon for "ice bag wine." which is a much more elegant, reusable version of the MacGyver.

Simply take your wine and place it on your table when you are sitting down. If you want to surprise your travel companions, pretend you forgot something in the room and run back and fetch your wine, meeting them at the table.

I'm not sure how to hide the wine at check in, since you will have to declare it & get it stickered.

Edited by POA1

Forgot to mention - Ask your wine steward to put the bottle on ice if you are taking it to a bar after dinner. Your wine steward will tag and store your wine for the next night if you don't finish it. (We never have to have that problem, :D but I've see it done.) The wine steward should have a supply of Champagne stoppers. You don't want to use it. VacuVin. With Champagne, the goal is to keep the bubbles in, not suck them out.

Edited by POA1

I use flute style champagne glasses, and get about 5 glasses from one 750 ml bottle. So don't be so sure that 3 people can't finish the bottle at one sitting.

If you want to chill the bottle in your cabin, just ask for a wine cooler, which is higher than the ice bucket.

You can ask if the cabin steward will send the bottle to the dining room. They used to do that, but with reduced staff making for more work, I don't know if they still do.

Before asking for any remaining wine (remaining wine? :confused:) to be saved, do ask if they have a champagne cork. Without a proper stopper (which is different from an ordinary wine stopper), there's no use trying to save the remainder (remainder? :confused:)

Just wanted to add that I have taken wine to the MDR in the afternoon so that it can be chilled for dinner. There was usually someone walking about in the MDR that would open the door for me, take my cabin number and the bottle of wine.

So, if that works for you, you can sneak down there with the bottle of champagne and drop it off. Then, the wine steward can take care of it from there and you won't have to worry about it prior to dinner.

Whatever you do, I hope the surprise works well! Enjoy your cruise!!

Three people and one 750 ml bottle of champagne.....

Color it gone!!! :D Three people who enjoy champagne are just about sure to finish the one bottle. It's very close to impossible for me to imagine they will not finish it.

Mind if we ask which champagne you are treating them to?

Edited by sail7seas

DONT put it in check baggage if you're flying. Because you won't be drinking it. You'll be smelling it on your clothing.

Good point about the cork likely popping if stored in baggage hold but we aren't allowed to carry a bottle onto a plane. Buy the champagne when you arrive at embarkation port and carry it onto the ship. :)

DONT put it in check baggage if you're flying. Because you won't be drinking it. You'll be smelling it on your clothing.

It's her home port so she's not flying.

OP: what's the plan to keep it a surprise when you have to declare/show it at check-in? Or are you revealing your surprise then?

I thought sparkling wines were ok on planes in checked bags. I've never done it, but might some day.....is it a matter of pressurization? Are cargo holds pressurized? I've seen conflicting advice.....anyone know for sure? Does the length of a flight have any bearing? Thanks.

I thought sparkling wines were ok on planes in checked bags. I've never done it, but might some day.....is it a matter of pressurization? Are cargo holds pressurized? I've seen conflicting advice.....anyone know for sure? Does the length of a flight have any bearing? Thanks.

You take a big chance of having the contents of your suitcase wrecked from 'exploding' wine bottle. I hope my suitcase isn't stacked beneath one with a broken bottle of wine that drips into our things. :eek: IMO, much better idea to buy your wine when you arrive at embarkation port.

Everybody, thanks so much for chipping in and helping me plan this surprise.

It's her home port so she's not flying.

OP: what's the plan to keep it a surprise when you have to declare/show it at check-in? Or are you revealing your surprise then?

My plan is to carefully wrap the two bottles I am bringing, citing that I don't want them to break, so they can't see what I'm bringing. I will ask my parents & Mr. Cruisebunny to stay with our luggage while I declare and/or ask them to go ahead to the cabins already. There is probably a line, so four people in line will be unwieldy.

While I like POA1's McGuyver option, that would be so neat, I'm taking Alberta Quilter's idea to bring it to the MDR. We have to go there anyways, because of my moms allergies. Since they normally prefer white wines, telling them I need to bring one bottle to have it chilled is a good cover up :D

I've checked VacuVin the company that makes the special stoppers + vacuum pumps, but while they used to have a special champagne stopper, I can't find it anymore and currently the pump says "Don't use for sparkling wines". I have to check with the company to see if it's still an option or not. I love their products (they come from my home city, incidentally) and I will probably bring it anyway for the other 3 bottles we are bringing.

sail7seas, I will be bringing Moet&Chandon, because my mom likes it. I think the brut one, so I need to finagle it out of her. Mr. Cruise_bunny loves all champagnes, so he's not difficult. My mom only drinks 1 glass, because she doesn't have much tolerance.

Champagne is a running joke here, because whenever we go out to dinner to celebrate, during the aperitif we get asked for Champagne and my face says :eek: No thanks. They often assume then that I prefer drinking sweet liquor/sweet wines, but I'm a scotch person :cool:

Again, thanks everybody, and I'd be sure to let you know if the bottle stayed a surprise till the end :D If there is anything I'm not thinking off, please let me know.

cruise_bunnies

Sparkling wines and champagnes should never go into checked luggage when you fly and you are not allowed to bring them onto the plane in your carry-ons.

Had a friend who flew with a bottle of champagne -- it did explode and wrecked clothes.

My plan is to carefully wrap the two bottles I am bringing, citing that I don't want them to break, so they can't see what I'm bringing. I will ask my parents & Mr. Cruisebunny to stay with our luggage while I declare and/or ask them to go ahead to the cabins already. There is probably a line, so four people in line will be unwieldy.

While I like POA1's McGuyver option, that would be so neat, I'm taking Alberta Quilter's idea to bring it to the MDR. We have to go there anyways, because of my moms allergies. Since they normally prefer white wines, telling them I need to bring one bottle to have it chilled is a good cover up :D

I've checked VacuVin the company that makes the special stoppers + vacuum pumps, but while they used to have a special champagne stopper, I can't find it anymore and currently the pump says "Don't use for sparkling wines". I have to check with the company to see if it's still an option or not. I love their products (they come from my home city, incidentally) and I will probably bring it anyway for the other 3 bottles we are bringing.

sail7seas, I will be bringing Moet&Chandon, because my mom likes it. I think the brut one, so I need to finagle it out of her. Mr. Cruise_bunny loves all champagnes, so he's not difficult. My mom only drinks 1 glass, because she doesn't have much tolerance.

Champagne is a running joke here, because whenever we go out to dinner to celebrate, during the aperitif we get asked for Champagne and my face says :eek: No thanks. They often assume then that I prefer drinking sweet liquor/sweet wines, but I'm a scotch person :cool:

Again, thanks everybody, and I'd be sure to let you know if the bottle stayed a surprise till the end :D If there is anything I'm not thinking off, please let me know.

cruise_bunnies

Sounds like you are getting everything in order.

Sure hope the surprise works.

cruise_bunnies

Sounds like you have put lots of thought into planning your surprise.

Hope everyone (who drinks it) enjoys.

Have a great cruise. :)

You take a big chance of having the contents of your suitcase wrecked from 'exploding' wine bottle. I hope my suitcase isn't stacked beneath one with a broken bottle of wine that drips into our things. :eek: IMO, much better idea to buy your wine when you arrive at embarkation port.

Yes, I've read and read about fears people have of ruined suitcases....it has happened to me, only with tequila, which blew all the color out of a pair of shoes, and all the other colorful things I had adjacent to the shoes. They were canvas. So, yes please, I get it about broken bottles, which is why I asked. Too many conflicting opinions which has confused me, even the local liquor store clerks don't seem to know the answer.

With the restricted liquor law in Hawaii, and our flights often arriving very late, past the time to be able to purchase any cocktails, I have contemplated bringing our own. As it seems pressurized bottles are not ok, I will not attempt it.

Why do some say cargo holds are pressurized, though.....considering animals are transported in them? Think I need to do my own research, probably should have done that first:)

I use flute style champagne glasses, and get about 5 glasses from one 750 ml bottle. So don't be so sure that 3 people can't finish the bottle at one sitting.

We can finish a bottle just standing around. :thumbup: If we sit, it's even easier.

Edited by POA1