elite laundry

wp bob

I predict changes along the lines of the Celebrity Elite Laundry system coming soon! One bag of free laundry per cruise per passenger and double that if the cruise is 12 days or longer.

The force that will bring the change has been mentioned here over and over...out of control laundry on a recent transatlantic combined with "outraged passengers" both Elite and non Elite. Combine that with people wearing everything in their wardrobe only once before it is off to the ships laundry and ensuring that everything they brought with them is clean and ready to put away once home.

It happened in the past when unlimited free internet became limited free internet and it happened when free internet was taken away from suites.

I also think there will be changes to the shareholder benefit inevitably as well. It was fine when a few people owned shares but now large numbers buy shares just for the OBC and almost everyone only buy the minimum 100 shares. Then when the department that adds the OBC to accounts gets back logged people are yelling, one poster in a related thread said "we pay good money for these shares....they need to get their act together". Really.

Just look at Celebrity over the last year or so. Endless reductions in benefits, OBC and slower progression to Elite now. And Celebrity wasn't even as generous as Princess was before they started cutting back. There were endless comments in the Celebrity CC area that there were getting to be way too many Elites for some cruises to keep up with the benefits. Exactly what is being described here on Princess.

My 2 cents worth....

Terry

I don't think the laundry will go it is a cheap perk as others have stated it is just the cost of doing business and Princess has been know for that perk in the industry for years...that is why X started offering it.

What concerns me is the OBC as you stated...all this combining ...I have not been on the Princess main board in about 3 years and posters are sounding like the RCI boards did in 2010, right before they took that privilege away.

and correct me you die hard princess cruisers if I am wrong, but I thought that was around the time that Princess started giving perks for stock ownership..or let it be combinable.

L:)ri

Edited by land lover

Mike, glad your reactions was the same as ours. We couldn't believe she was doing this for all of her friends in different cabins and bragging about it. :(

LuLu

~~~

Abusing her privilege and that could result in all the rest of losing ours. The same as abusing the internet privileges and I have seen that done also.

What concerns me is the OBC as you stated...all this combining ...I have not been on the Princess main board in about 3 years and posters are sounding like the RCI boards did in 2010, right before they took that privilege away.

and correct me you die hard princess cruisers if I am wrong, but I thought that was around the time that Princess started giving perks for stock ownership..or let it be combinable.

CCL and RCL did flip flop in the combinable perks / not combinable perks at about the same time. CCL has been much less profitable than RCL in recent years though the Costa Concordia and numerous Carnival ship problems have not helped CCL shares.

We did three cruises on Celebrity for a change over the last year and a half but many different things including the combinable OBCs with Princess have brought us back to Princess full time just as we have retired and are ramping up our cruising even more.

I hope we get to enjoy the benefits for awhile at least, including the Elite benefit which we will enjoy for the first time beginning April 23.

Terry

Edited by AE_Collector

I don't think the laundry will go it is a cheap perk as others have stated it is just the cost of doing business and Princess has been know for that perk in the industry for years...that is why X started offering it.

L:)ri

You're wrong. Perks for stock ownership began in 2000.

You're wrong. Perks for stock ownership began in 2000.

But were they combinable? Combinable with what I don't know.:o

But, there was a reason why I didn't purchase stock back in the early 2000s trying to remember why.

When did the Military OBC start?

Thanks for your input, PIA.

Edited by land lover

CCL and RCL did flip flop in the combinable perks / not combinable perks at about the same time. CCL has been much less profitable than RCL in recent years though the Costa Concordia and numerous Carnival ship problems have not helped CCL shares.

We did three cruises on Celebrity for a change over the last year and a half but many different things including the combinable OBCs with Princess have brought us back to Princess full time just as we have retired and are ramping up our cruising even more.

I hope we get to enjoy the benefits for awhile at least, including the Elite benefit which we will enjoy for the first time beginning April 23.

Terry

Thats what I thought Terry....it was like RCI was taking away and Princess was picking up the slack.

Thanks for responding to my query.

Edited by land lover

Military OBC began in November 2010 but we are getting off topic which is about abuse of the Laundry perk.

Mike:)

I am aware of that, but that happened long b4 my recent question;).

Sometimes its worth asking a question on an existing thread than making a new one.

Thanks for answering my question.

Edited by land lover

Absolutely I am serious.

Those people KNOW that they are stealing, pure and simple and their actions could affect thousands of passenger's benefits.

Mike:)

What I don't understand, is the mindset of people who don't see anything wrong with this. Would these same people take the cash out a wallet they found? Or candy from a baby's mouth? Probably not, but this is stealing just the same, so how do they justify their actions?:confused:

What I don't understand, is the mindset of people who don't see anything wrong with this. Would these same people take the cash out a wallet they found? Or candy from a baby's mouth? Probably not, but this is stealing just the same, so how do they justify their actions?:confused:

Still sounds like keel hauling would be appropriate punishment for the few who would cost the rest of us to lose the free laundry perk.:D:eek:

Unlimited internet was removed because of the popularity of portabe devices, not abuse. I know people say otherwise but as soon as everyone had an ipad it had to go.

I agree completely, and, in fact, have had this confirmed by two hotel general managers. Some of us have three and four wifi devices. Imagine if we were able to stay connected 24/7...it would have been extremely expensive for Princess. Imagine being able to phone another family member on the ship over the Internet; there would have been phones ringing all the time, and it would have been very disruptive.

Unlimited Internet worked when people had to go to the Internet cafe to use a computer. Its elimination had nothing to do with a few people (because that's all it was) cheating. It had everything to do with technological changes.

Well sure, the ships systems couldn't have handled the total load as there became more and more Elites using the free perk.

Same story with the free Internet!

Interesting that some figure the Internet is a huge cost to Princess yet the free laundry costs nothing to provide for a couple pairs of pants. For some reason it was taking up to a week to get those two pairs of pants through the laundry. Others suggested that other staff should have been moved to the laundry for the TA cruise. I agree, most cruises I have been on have endless crew goofing off seemingly with nothing better to do.

Terry

Edited by AE_Collector

But, there was a reason why I didn't purchase stock back in the early 2000s trying to remember why.

There was a time, in the early 2000's, where all the types

were not combinable. I don't remember the details, but

I do remember not bothering with one of them, because it

would not have been added.

Military started about October of 2010 or 2011.

When we bought our stock back in the late 90's, we did it as an investment. Little did we know that we'd shortly be reaping unexpected benefits.

Imagine being able to phone another family member on the ship over the Internet; there would have been phones ringing all the time, and it would have been very disruptive.

Get ready...

A dedicated onboard service is already available on a couple other large cruise lines.

Its coming.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

No it wasn't. The unlimited internet was stopped way before wi-fi.

I'm a little confused by your statement. WiFi was available on my first Princess cruise in 2008 and I had unlimited suite internet this past October (booked before the 2012 cutoff) on the Royal.....:confused::confused::confused:

Bob

I'm a little confused by your statement. WiFi was available on my first Princess cruise in 2008 and I had unlimited suite internet this past October (booked before the 2012 cutoff) on the Royal.....:confused::confused::confused:

Bob

Unlimited Suite Internet or Included Internet (but limited)? Presumably WiFi on the hips was added over several years as well.

Terry

Edited by AE_Collector

While we have a laundry thread going, I have a question. If you ask for laundry rather than dry-cleaning is it put through the big hot water machines you see on tour? I know that I asked once for cold water for delicate things and they came back okay, but I am usually too scared to try again. What do you all recommend for undies? I have usually resorted to the sink being afraid of having them ruined Have any of you tried to clean glittery tops? What did you ask for? dry cleaning? Did they come back with any glitter?

I have barely used our Elite advantage except for my husband's shirts. So any advice is welcome.

I send everything out but would never send beaded or sequined items. Only problems have been the occasional broken button. When I did the tour on the Sapphire, I didn't see any hot water washing machines. I saw large machines that use a dry-cleaning-like chemical process. The drying machines were hot, though.

While we have a laundry thread going, I have a question. If you ask for laundry rather than dry-cleaning is it put through the big hot water machines you see on tour? I know that I asked once for cold water for delicate things and they came back okay, but I am usually too scared to try again. What do you all recommend for undies? I have usually resorted to the sink being afraid of having them ruined Have any of you tried to clean glittery tops? What did you ask for? dry cleaning? Did they come back with any glitter?

I have barely used our Elite advantage except for my husband's shirts. So any advice is welcome.

From our experience, the only problem we have had is a white top returned coloured, but apart from that, we have sent everything for laundry/cleaning with no problem.

I always launder my own undies and that is why we have space for more "stuff." I laugh at people who take 14 pair of anything for a 14 day cruise. Whatever would I do for our long (30, 60, etc) cruises? :eek:

My glittery tops stay home. Would never consider sending anything like that to a ship's laundry.