Official ncl jade and ncl Spirit are leaning europe in november 2015!!

dub237

After the confirmation of ncl about all year med for the epic , it s more for sûre that ncl would remore the 2 smaller ship in winter in europe

On this Link of port of mardeira you see that jade will go to st tomas and spirit philipsbug

Epic Will do canary cruise and western cruise altenatively

http://www.portosdamadeira.com/index2.php?t=2&l=uk

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Interesting.

I think we need to see the early 2016 schedules to say for sure what the Epic will be doing, unless you know more than is shown there.

If the Jade isn't in the Med then it leaves quite a gap. I wonder how fixed these schedules are.

I assume something else will be heading back over here in Spring 2015.

What are the rules regarding the Jade? I thought there was an issue if it went to the US because of its history in Hawaii. South America maybe, or is that just being too hopeful?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Such a shame if true. In my personal opinion Epic doesn't make a good cold weather ship. She has no areas cozy areas like spinnakers or star bar with views for cold wet days.

Well, it's certainly true that the Epic is staying in Europe during the winter.

I'm not sure I agree with you though. One of criticisms of the Epic is that you don't get views wherever you are, so it doesn't really make much difference what is outside.

Also, it isn't as if we are talking about it being cold anyway. Not hot, but warm enough to be outside most days.

Where is the official posting? From NCL?

Is this really OFFICIAL?

Well, the website linked looks quite official, bit as I asked in my post, do we know how fixed these things are?

I suspect that, almost two years out, not very fixed.

Well, it's certainly true that the Epic is staying in Europe during the winter.

I'm not sure I agree with you though. One of criticisms of the Epic is that you don't get views wherever you are, so it doesn't really make much difference what is outside.

Also, it isn't as if we are talking about it being cold anyway. Not hot, but warm enough to be outside most days.

In Feb 2013 I sailed on Spirit to the Canaries. The weather was so bad with rain, winds and just sheer cold that I was buying warmer clothing to wear in ports. Even if you were brave enough to go outside the outside decks were often closed.

I am not sure I would want to be on Epic on such a cruise. When I did sail her it was summer and I am trying to think where we could go on such days. I enjoyed the ship in the evenings, lots to do and great restaurants but most daytime stuff was outside.

I also see problems filling this ship. The two ships there are are not always sailing full and there have been some very good bargains to be had this winter. We paid less this year than we did last year and this time we included prepaid DSC...

Nice find OP.

It shows the Epic also has a port of call on Funchal on 5th December from Tenerife and towards Malaga, so the Canaries/longer cruises for the Epic in the winter months.

The info is trustworthy in my opinion, port authorities will always have the schedules way out and from first hand. Without those confirmed reservations with the port authorities a cruiseline can't even sell decent itineraries which they can meet with I guess?

edit; a few more weeks for the official updates :)

Edited by FreestyleNovice

In Feb 2013 I sailed on Spirit to the Canaries. The weather was so bad with rain, winds and just sheer cold that I was buying warmer clothing to wear in ports. Even if you were brave enough to go outside the outside decks were often closed.

I am not sure I would want to be on Epic on such a cruise. When I did sail her it was summer and I am trying to think where we could go on such days. I enjoyed the ship in the evenings, lots to do and great restaurants but most daytime stuff was outside.

I also see problems filling this ship. The two ships there are are not always sailing full and there have been some very good bargains to be had this winter. We paid less this year than we did last year and this time we included prepaid DSC...

Most daytime stuff would have been outside on your Epic cruise because of the weather. If it was cold then they would have changed.

Last year when we were on the Epic, it was really windy, and quite relatively cold. We could spend quite a bit of time outside, but often we preferred to be inside, and there was quite a lot on. They held extra stuff in the theatre on one day. The ship really can cope, probably better than those without as much space inside. You just can't see the sea.

Perhaps I should clarify. Daytime stuff for us is sitting around looking at the sea and chatting. Occasional dip in a hot tub. Don't go to many "events", never been to a show, just like to sit and look, dislike loud music, loud people, like space,peace and quiet. Epic doesn't appeal for these reasons. Epic suits me on a port intensive itinerary, not good for sea days at all.

Will have to wait and see on this, have Spirit and Jade booked for 2 more cruises this year. Got to wait and see on what the future might hold. Very restricted on where I can go due to health issues pushing insurance costs up. Outside of Europe is not an option at present and I bet my recent, and first ever, travel insurance claim has not done me any favours at all.

Interesting.

What are the rules regarding the Jade? I thought there was an issue if it went to the US because of its history in Hawaii. South America maybe, or is that just being too hopeful?

I posted in another thread about my disinterest in flying to a port to cruise. (which was never an issue until airfare got carried away...)

However ports in SA would be a game changer for me!!! I know nothing about ports in SA...does Brazil have a port for cruise ships? If so, maybe work out a Summer Olympics cruise package? RIO 2016!!! In fact, doesn't the Jade Port in Sochi?

Edited by ZoneHPH

Sounds like Epic is doing Canaries in winter and Med in Summer, which leaves room for Jade to return for Eastern Med in summer. Maybe Epic will rotate itineries in winter.....Canaries and Eastern Med, all from Barcelona.....9 days/12 days so a three week cycle.

Sounds like Epic is doing Canaries in winter and Med in Summer, which leaves room for Jade to return for Eastern Med in summer. Maybe Epic will rotate itineries in winter.....Canaries and Eastern Med, all from Barcelona.....9 days/12 days so a three week cycle.

No it will be canaries and western med 10 and 11 days a 3 week cycle yes

I speculated Eastern Med/Jade route rotation in winter as *no one* does a Western Med route in the winter, probably because the weather is too bad for all the ports, and the Eastern Med has better weather.

10 or 11 days Greece is doable from Barcelona.

The earlier found info from Civitavecchia port's website supports that, for at least for couple of cycles in late 2015.

Yes, it seems quite clear that is happening in December, but dub237 appears confident that it is continuing after that, which is quite an assumption to make. Unless they know something else that we don't.

Some clarification as to whether it is an assumption would be useful.

• 3 weeks later...
Interesting.

The Jade can come back and sail from US ports but then NCL gives up the ability to reflag the ship and cruise in Hawaii. One possibility is a second ship in Hawaii again.

Perhaps I should clarify. Daytime stuff for us is sitting around looking at the sea and chatting. Occasional dip in a hot tub. Don't go to many "events", never been to a show, just like to sit and look, dislike loud music, loud people, like space,peace and quiet. Epic doesn't appeal for these reasons. Epic suits me on a port intensive itinerary, not good for sea days at all.

Will have to wait and see on this, have Spirit and Jade booked for 2 more cruises this year. Got to wait and see on what the future might hold. Very restricted on where I can go due to health issues pushing insurance costs up. Outside of Europe is not an option at present and I bet my recent, and first ever, travel insurance claim has not done me any favours at all.

That would make a difference. We did a TA on the Epic where the weather was not so grand with outer decks closed. We do go to the shows, participate in activities, etc., so never had a problem staying busy and enjoyed every minute. I imagine the only way you might enjoy the sea days on the Epic in such weather would be to have a suite with great views...and you'd love the Epic Club dining with its fabulous views.

Interesting.

I think we need to see the early 2016 schedules to say for sure what the Epic will be doing, unless you know more than is shown there.

If the Jade isn't in the Med then it leaves quite a gap. I wonder how fixed these schedules are.

I assume something else will be heading back over here in Spring 2015.

I don't know who will replace them but I don't think any ship will be going to South America according to what we were told by the future cruise consultant on the Sun. The cost of air is just too much to draw enough passengers. Now, I will have to add, he didn't appear to be the best future cruise consultant we have talked to, so he could be wrong.