Oasis Photo Review – All Dining and Drinks Menus - Daily Programs

I am at Miami airport having disembarked the Getaway this morning. Heading to New York to board Quantum on Monday.

Thanks for highlighting the missing photos issue. I have paid for more bandwidth and so hopefully the photos should now reappear. Please let me know if the problem is ongoing.

Thanks

megacruiser

I have been aboard Quantum for 24 hours. Check-in and boarding was largely efficient and speedy. The ship itself is absolutely stunning; Royal Caribbean has done it again! Visually stimulating at every turn. Okay it's not on the scale of the Oasis Class, but in some respects more contemporary and elegant.

However it is clear that there are multiple operational failures and staff service failings that I hoped would have been addressed and resolved by now. I have had many more disappointments in my first 24 hours than on a typical entire cruise. These problems are not insurmountable but I am surprised and disappointed that Royal Caribbean do not appear to have made more progress by now.

In fairness, when NCL introduced Freestyle dining they had major issues but the onboard experience is now pretty seamless. So I hope Royal do not abandon the Dynamic Dining concept as a knee jerk reaction to unfavourable early implementation feedback.

I knew not to expect everything to be running like clockwork this soon after launch and I am determined to try to focus on the positives. However at times it is tremendously frustrating when so much is substandard.

This post comes via the new high speed internet service; as far as I know it is not free at present. I would rate it as better than 50% of land based speed and about 10 times faster than I experienced on the Getaway, which is a one year old ship.

I will be writing a detailed review after my return and my Getaway review has been posted.

We booked our 2015 cruise on Oasis last February 2014 when you were onboard. It just took me 6 hours to negotiate this entire thread (I retired Dec 31 so now have the time to read). Looking forward to next Saturday on Oasis. It's funny, the whole time we were on Epic last year, we kept saying to ourselves "we could have been on the Oasis!" Finally, only one week to go....I feel like I'll be reliving a cruise I never actually been on come next week.

Your review was the greatest cruise review I've ever had the pleasure to read. None of the usual gripes like 'there was dust under my bed' and 'the drain in the bathtub didn't work properly'.....like who cares? I loved every minutes, er, I mean hour of reading your review. There's a difference between being a critic and being critical. Thank you a million times.

We booked our 2015 cruise on Oasis last February 2014 when you were onboard. It just took me 6 hours to negotiate this entire thread (I retired Dec 31 so now have the time to read). Looking forward to next Saturday on Oasis. It's funny, the whole time we were on Epic last year, we kept saying to ourselves "we could have been on the Oasis!" Finally, only one week to go....I feel like I'll be reliving a cruise I never actually been on come next week.

Your review was the greatest cruise review I've ever had the pleasure to read. None of the usual gripes like 'there was dust under my bed' and 'the drain in the bathtub didn't work properly'.....like who cares? I loved every minutes, er, I mean hour of reading your review. There's a difference between being a critic and being critical. Thank you a million times.

What can I say other than sincere thanks for your kind comments. Just what I needed as I sit here jet-lagged on a gloomy Scottish winter's day, girding my loins for the two megareviews that I will be undertaking shortly...

Kind regards

megacruiser

MEGACRUISER, Thanks so much for the excellent review. We will be cruising on the Oasis of the Sea in 28 days. This will be our first cruise with RCI after 14 with Carnival, your review has answered many questions for us. We are on deck 11 so we will be checking out the "hidden" balcony. A couple of quick questions, we have MTD, do you have to make dinner reservations for MTD on all RCI ships or just the Oasis and Allure? My husband is not too happy with having to pick a time, he says "picking a time defeats the purpose of "My Time" dining. Secondly what are the chances of getting into shows using standby? We just booked our cruise last week and all the comedy shows, and the broadway show "Cats" were all reserved. Thanks again for the great review.

Edited by Linda&Mike
highlights

MEGACRUISER, Thanks so much for the excellent review. We will be cruising on the Oasis of the Sea in 28 days. This will be our first cruise with RCI after 14 with Carnival, your review has answered many questions for us. We are on deck 11 so we will be checking out the "hidden" balcony. A couple of quick questions, we have MTD, do you have to make dinner reservations for MTD on all RCI ships or just the Oasis and Allure? My husband is not too happy with having to pick a time, he says "picking a time defeats the purpose of "My Time" dining. Secondly what are the chances of getting into shows using standby? We just booked our cruise last week and all the comedy shows, and the broadway show "Cats" were all reserved. Thanks again for the great review.

The OP cruise took place before the changes that were made to the Oasis during dry dock. The "hidden balcony" areas have been converted into suites.

Ok so i loved it so much info for my trip next year. I fo wonder if anyone knows about the restaurant changes. I liked the sound ofvthevfast food in back up top. And donuts, and is the seafood place there or fidbit change to a mexican one. I do lovevto read reviews like this it gets me more excited for my trip. I am a super planner. So every review i can read or find is helpful. But ones like this are even better with great detail and do many on it to chime in gives you even more. Thank you for your time. I started the other day and cant stop it do hard i fell asleep reading this.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

What can I say other than sincere thanks for your kind comments. Just what I needed as I sit here jet-lagged on a gloomy Scottish winter's day, girding my loins for the two megareviews that I will be undertaking shortly...

Kind regards

megacruiser

Your review of QM2 also brought back some fond memories, although we were not on board at Christmas time (we did the 'fall colors' sailing round trip from New York). Magnificent ship! I spent hours in the library....truly the largest library afloat. Their little sitting nooks in front were the perfect place to sit and read. Thanks again.

PS - I was going to mention that when we sail this Saturday on Oasis, we're seeing Cats instead of Hairspray, which is a pity. I saw Hairspray in London 17 times (over a 6 month period) when Michael Ball was starring as Edna Turnblad (I'm what some refer to as a 'Ballette'). Certainly one of the best musicals I've ever seen. I hope Cats is half as good.

Hi

Just wanted to say a huge thank you for this wonderful blog. I have been searching CC for some of the answers and stumbled across this blog which answers most of my questions. Very very very much appreciated and thanks for all the time you have put in

Mrsdibs

Hi Megacruiser,

Just wanted to say a very big THANK YOU for your review on Oasis. It has made it a must do cruise for me in the future. As others have already said it is the best review I have ever seen on any cruise review. :)

I am looking forward to your review on Quantum of the Seas as I will be going on Anthem in her September 28th Sunshine in the Canaries Cruise.

Also I have been on Epic as well so will read your review to bring back the good memories of that cruise.

Thanks again for all your hard work,

take care,

Mark. :)

Hello Linda&Mike,

Many thanks for commenting. As someone has already mentioned, following recent changes during dry dock, the secret balconies have been removed as part of the installation of new suites.

As far as I am aware there is no need to book specific times for MTD but if you do so you are less likely to have to wait to be seated at peak times.

A certain number of people standing-by will usually get in to shows. Best to get there early if it is important to you. The Comedy Club was the most in demand on my cruise but it is a small venue.

Regards

megacruiser

Great review and Pics! I will be on the Allure in November and I'm reading as much reviews to prepare. I really enjoy your review it's was very detailed and answer a lot of my questions. This will be my first time cruising on RCI.

Many thanks for the feedback. I am sure you will love the Allure and I hope to try her myself as soon as I am able.

Regards

megacruiser

Ok so i loved it so much info for my trip next year. I fo wonder if anyone knows about the restaurant changes. I liked the sound ofvthevfast food in back up top. And donuts, and is the seafood place there or fidbit change to a mexican one. I do lovevto read reviews like this it gets me more excited for my trip. I am a super planner. So every review i can read or find is helpful. But ones like this are even better with great detail and do many on it to chime in gives you even more. Thank you for your time. I started the other day and cant stop it do hard i fell asleep reading this.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

Sorry I am not too sure about the exact changes so will let others advise. Thanks again for commenting.

Regards

megacruiser

Your review of QM2 also brought back some fond memories, although we were not on board at Christmas time (we did the 'fall colors' sailing round trip from New York). Magnificent ship! I spent hours in the library....truly the largest library afloat. Their little sitting nooks in front were the perfect place to sit and read. Thanks again.

PS - I was going to mention that when we sail this Saturday on Oasis, we're seeing Cats instead of Hairspray, which is a pity. I saw Hairspray in London 17 times (over a 6 month period) when Michael Ball was starring as Edna Turnblad (I'm what some refer to as a 'Ballette'). Certainly one of the best musicals I've ever seen. I hope Cats is half as good.

Thanks again.

Regards

megaacruiser