Infinity stuck in Falklands

ghstudio

I would assume since the ship has almost 2 full days in BA next weekend they will repair it there and probably ship the life boat there. I am so glad that ship is sailing, I am also on that cruise next weekend.

Ship _anything_ from the Falklands to Argentina? Surely you jest. Argentina still thinks they should own the Falklands.

Ship _anything_ from the Falklands to Argentina? Surely you jest. Argentina still thinks they should own the Falklands.

Indeed, here's a photo of the Argentine sign greeting people on the dock in Ushuaia as they arrive by ship:

IslasMalvinasSign768x1024_zps4ef727c9.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

safe and smooth sailing to all aboard the Infinity. I'm sailing her across the Atlantic in April.

davit was finally raised and secured at about 3:30am and we find the ship already on it's way to anarctica this morning when we woke up at 6am.

Turned out to be just a delay...but it looks like the problem is resolved (although we do have one less lifeboat).

:)

Antarctica is so amazing and beautiful...enjoy it! We were on 30 days Azamara Antarctica last year...the silence is amazing except for the whales...an orca pod came right up to our balcony practically and did a peck wave at us...keep your camera and video handy...things pop up quick...we usually were on deck at 6 am and saw lots others did not....snowed one day and it was only us and 1 crew member...when the rest of the ship awake, the snow had stopped...

When I read your post I immediately looked to see where you lived. Naturally, Florida. I live in Quebec and trust me I would not be too excited to see the snow. Lol.

Wendy

:)

When I read your post I immediately looked to see where you lived. Naturally, Florida. I live in Quebec and trust me I would not be too excited to see the snow. Lol.

Wendy

Amen. It looks like the Ross Ice Shelf next to my driveway in Jersey.

Another factor which will heavily influence the ''re-union'' between Infinity and her lifeboat: Coast Guards in general, the Argentinian included, as well as the flag country authority ( Malta) and IOS/SOLAS regulations are technically capable of ''holding'' a vessel deemed to have less than the mandated ### of lifeboat capacity.

While INfinity is sailing minus one lifeboat presently is not to be taken as an OK to make it all the way thru winter in that state.

I suggest the lifeboat left behind will be cargo'd to the nearest port possible to be re-united with its '' mother'' ,after the davit repairs are performed ( which is very likely to take place in Buenos Aire ).

I suspect MonteVideo which I think is 1st port of call after BA.

Cheers

Edited by c-legs

I'm happy to hear you are on your way again. Since there is no planned stop in the Falklands on the next two sailings, I do wonder when they will pick up the lifeboat that was left behind. I doubt they will return to Miami without it. I expect we should look for some itinerary change on our March 2nd sailing.

It may turn to be more cost effective to abandon and replace.

It may turn to be more cost effective to abandon and replace.

You indeed have a good point there. ;a life boat's raw cost is lower than a tender, and the OP's report refers to a lifeboat...

Depending how old the lifeboat is, ...yep...write it off and move on....

FWIW cruise ships, as I understand, carry MORE than their life boat space requirements, meaning should a life raft/boat be damaged or lost they'll still be within the safety requirements.

I'd be surprised if they are "short" space but suspect this is all a big pain in the "tender area". :p

The Falklins is supplied by freighters and my bet as stated awhile ago is I'd not be surprised if the abandoned boat gets an expensive ferry ride to Florida or where ever it can be reunited.

Yacht-Transportation-6.jpg

Edited by A Sixth?

The Falklins is supplied by freighters and my bet as stated awhile ago is I'd not be surprised if the abandoned boat gets an expensive ferry ride to Florida or where ever it can be reunited.
Infinity is scheduled into Punta Arenas, Chile on 11 March. There is air and sea shipping between Stanley and Punta Arenas (530 miles), so that would seem the logical connection in my opinion.

Thom