Is a jacket required on formal night?

AandBmom

Don't you just love these posts about the percentages? On this thread, they vary between 0%, nobody does it! to 85%, the vast majority does it. It kind of indicates the veracity of the estimates.:rolleyes:

My experience is that there is such a broad mix of style, whatever you wear, you'll fit in.

I generally don't care what other people wear, I just pay attention to and enjoy my companions at my own table.

However, I have to comment on the "it's your cruise, you should do what makes you comfortable" mentality. It's an extremely narcissistic and anti-social attitude and should be squashed at every opportunity.

If you're on your own yacht, by all means set all the rules.

If you are dining with other humans whom you do not know, "do what makes you comfortable" obliterates all the rules. Subjective comfort is no standard whatsoever. Some are most comfortable nude. Indeed, there are nude cruises. But nude in a Royal Caribbean dining room -- not acceptable, no matter how "comfortable" it makes you feel.

If nude is an extreme example, how about swimsuits? Tattered, dirty T-shirts and shorts? Some are most comfortable in either.

Dining. Many are more comfortable chewing with mouth open (breathing problems). Surely we can't expect more?

"Do what makes you comfortable" spills over into other areas, too. Some are more comfortable ensuring they have a poolside chair all day, whether they are currently occupying it or not. Thus Chair Hogs. Is that ok, because they are more comfortable knowing a chair is waiting on them?

Non-cruise: this past summer I was entering a major league baseball game with a long line for entry. A grown man (50 years old-ish) led his group of 4 to the front of the line, butted in, and laughed at those of us (not just me) who noted there was a lengthy line. He didn't care. He was "most comfortable" going to the front of the line, regardless of those waiting.

"Do what makes you comfortable" is a cancer.

Edited by deltahog

I generally don't care what other people wear, I just pay attention to and enjoy my companions at my own table.

However, I have to comment on the "it's your cruise, you should do what makes you comfortable" mentality. It's an extremely narcissistic and anti-social attitude and should be squashed at every opportunity.

If you are dining with other humans whom you do not know, "do what makes you comfortable" obliterates all the rules. Subjective comfort is no standard whatsoever. Some are most comfortable nude. Indeed, there are nude cruises. But nude in a Royal Caribbean dining room -- not acceptable, no matter how "comfortable" it makes you feel.

If nude is an extreme example, how about swimsuits? Tattered, dirty T-shirts and shorts? Some are most comfortable in either.

Dining. Many are more comfortable chewing with mouth open (breathing problems). Surely we can't expect more?

"Do what makes you comfortable" spills over into other areas, too. Some are more comfortable ensuring they have a poolside chair all day, whether they are currently occupying it or not. Thus Chair Hogs. Is that ok, because they are more comfortable knowing a chair is waiting on them?

Non-cruise: this past summer I was entering a major league baseball game with a long line for entry. A grown man (50 years old-ish) led his group of 4 to the front of the line, butted in, and laughed at those of us (not just me) who noted there was a lengthy line. He didn't care. He was "most comfortable" going to the front of the line, regardless of those waiting.

Great post.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

I find it interesting that many of these dress code posts are basically asking the question, "what will prevent me from being admitted?". That is a very different question from "what is appropriate?".

I have to admit to being oblivious to what others wear but we've never been seated with people that were not dressed "as suggested".

I think as a "host", the cruise line should not make an issue of what someone does or doesn't wear (unless forbidden as in shorts etc.). But passengers should extend the same courtesy by dressing as suggested.

I think the "its all about me" mentality extends well beyond cruise ships unfortunately.

On past cruises my husband typically wears dress pants with shirt and tie.

I read that RCCL has formal night, smart casual and casual.

Does he really need a jacket for formal night? Will most men be wearing a jacket? We're on Freedom if that makes a difference.

Formal night is just that a tux or a suit or even a blazer and slacks, basically common sense, and appropriate attire for formal night. Does every one have "common sense" and does everyone adhere to this request, the answer is no....K.O.:rolleyes:

Jackets are not required, I stoped bringing mind, takes up too much room and nobody else does it. I just wear my nice shirt and tie and dress pants and dress shoes and nobody seems to care..
"No one else does it" happens to be a foolish and untrue statement, sorry...:rolleyes:

Man at our table wore a guyabera (sp ) , some refer to it as Mexican shirt, I bought mine in Havana.

During my early days of cruising, they usually had a "Caribbean Fashions" night, where people were encouraged to wear whatever wild clothes they may have purchased along the way. It was coupled with a menu featuring primarily Caribbean dishes.

Jackets are not required, I stoped bringing mind, takes up too much room and nobody else does it. I just wear my nice shirt and tie and dress pants and dress shoes and nobody seems to care..

Oh, 'some' people care. Don't you know it ruins the appetite to see your sleeved arms? :rolleyes:

OP - Let him relax. He'll be fine. Contrary to what some say on here, all will be fine. :rolleyes:

Edited by WetToes

I am sure others have thought of this, but for those who have not here is way to get around the "packing a jacket takes up too much room in the suitcase" issue. Dh just wears his jacket/blazer on the plane as his outerwear coat. Inflight it goes in the overhead neatly folded. :D

I am sure others have thought of this, but for those who have not here is way to get around the "packing a jacket takes up too much room in the suitcase" issue. Dh just wears his jacket/blazer on the plane as his outerwear coat. Inflight it goes in the overhead neatly folded. :D

Takes the fun out of reading all the different excuses for not packing formal wear.

Casual dressers - what do you do at home when attending functions where "dress-up" is expected - weddings, funerals, church functions, dances, etc. Is it your goal at these events to be dressed more casually than most? If so, why?, and don't you ever feel underdressed? I'm guessing most of you dress as you expect to be the "norm" at an event.

Why then is it so difficult to throw a tie and sport coat into your suitcase so that you can dress as most expect in the MDR on certain nights. No, you won't be thrown out of the MDR and you won't be thrown out of that funeral either, but just can't understand why so many of you are intent on pushing the "lower limit" on MDR dress. Most of your posts indicate it because its "your vacation", i.e. its all about you. Sad.

Where is the like button?

The entitlement attitude seems to be more prevalent these days.

Casual dressers - what do you do at home when attending functions where "dress-up" is expected - weddings, funerals, church functions, dances, etc. Is it your goal at these events to be dressed more casually than most? If so, why?, and don't you ever feel underdressed? I'm guessing most of you dress as you expect to be the "norm" at an event.

Why then is it so difficult to throw a tie and sport coat into your suitcase so that you can dress as most expect in the MDR on certain nights. No, you won't be thrown out of the MDR and you won't be thrown out of that funeral either, but just can't understand why so many of you are intent on pushing the "lower limit" on MDR dress. Most of your posts indicate it because its "your vacation", i.e. its all about you. Sad.

Where is the like button?

You've missed the point. Do what you want as long as it doesn't affect other people. Chair hogs, cutting inline, etc affect you or other people. Whatever you wear does affect my enjoyment on the cruise. So Wear whatever you like to dinner

Bottom line it is suggested or recommended attire and is not mandatory. Personally we adhere to it or go to the buffet or specialty restaurants on formal nights.

You will see people in jeans and t-shirts on formal nights until they decide to either enforce or eliminate the dress code.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I have to wonder if any of the 'you must where a jacket/formal crowd smuggle alcohol or bring other prohibited items?

The clothing IS suggested. The others are stated as a NO!

I don't think anyone must wear a jacket (I do not smuggle alcohol). I just don't understand why you wouldn't when the evening is designated as formal. It just isn't that big a deal for my husband to bring a jacket and tie.

If I were to be at a table where someone was dressed casually for dinner on formal night, it really wouldn't bother me in the least. I just don't get it.

To answer your question, no a jacket is not required. Most men do wear at least a jacket.

Get ready for many to tell you how he will ruin their dining experience if he does not wear a jacket but in my experience he will be just fine.

These are the best answers to the OP's question and they were the first two replies.

On our first cruise we were traveling with five couples. Only one couple had sailed before. Naturally, all that had never cruised before had many questions, one of those being about formal nights. Two couples (my wife and I being one) decided we did not want to dress formal. We ate at Chops and Portifinos. The other couples dressed appropriately and ate in the MDR for formal night.

Our second cruise was only five nights. For Formal night, the adults went to Chops and the children went to the WJ.

On our third cruise, my wife and I decided to do the same as we did on the second cruise for both Formal nights. We would eat at a specialty restaurant, the kids would go to JR or WJ. When we told the head waiter the night before formal night of our plans, he insisted…and I mean insisted that the kids come to formal night regardless of how they were dressed. Thats what we did and all was fine.

Since then, I have felt no obligation to dress in any formal attire. I usually wear a coat, nice slacks, shirt with no tie, but not always.

Many will direct great disdain on here to those that decide to not wear a tux, or at a minimum a coat and tie. Maybe that effort should be channeled to those that actually have control over this issue and that would be Royal. They are the ONLY ones that can make it a requirement and turn away those that are not dressed formal. They are the only ones who can put this topic to rest. Until that happens, this is nothing more than a waste of everyone's typing skills. Royal appears to have made a conscious decision to allow non-formal attire on formal night.

As it is now, OP asked a simple question and was given two simple correct answers right away. All this other stuff is just mud.

I don't think anyone must wear a jacket (I do not smuggle alcohol). I just don't understand why you wouldn't when the evening is designated as formal. It just isn't that big a deal for my husband to bring a jacket and tie.

If I were to be at a table where someone was dressed casually for dinner on formal night, it really wouldn't bother me in the least. I just don't get it.

I'm not trying to sound rude here, ... but you don't have to get it.

I agree that a person dressed like a slob should not eat in the dining room. Heck I don't want them to eat anywhere outside of their own cabin.

We, DH and I, don't do the DR on formal nights, but we do dress up a little more than other nights. It's comfortable for us.

We don't smuggle alcohol either.

I don't get why some insist on telling others that they 'must' do this or that, when even the cruise line isn't insisting.

Edited by WetToes

These are the best answers to the OP's question and they were the first two replies.

On our first cruise we were traveling with five couples. Only one couple had sailed before. Naturally, all that had never cruised before had many questions, one of those being about formal nights. Two couples (my wife and I being one) decided we did not want to dress formal. We ate at Chops and Portifinos. The other couples dressed appropriately and ate in the MDR for formal night.

Our second cruise was only five nights. For Formal night, the adults went to Chops and the children went to the WJ.

On our third cruise, my wife and I decided to do the same as we did on the second cruise for both Formal nights. We would eat at a specialty restaurant, the kids would go to JR or WJ. When we told the head waiter the night before formal night of our plans, he insisted…and I mean insisted that the kids come to formal night regardless of how they were dressed. Thats what we did and all was fine.

Since then, I have felt no obligation to dress in any formal attire. I usually wear a coat, nice slacks, shirt with no tie, but not always.

Many will direct great disdain on here to those that decide to not wear a tux, or at a minimum a coat and tie. Maybe that effort should be channeled to those that actually have control over this issue and that would be Royal. They are the ONLY ones that can make it a requirement and turn away those that are not dressed formal. They are the only ones who can put this topic to rest. Until that happens, this is nothing more than a waste of everyone's typing skills. Royal appears to have made a conscious decision to allow non-formal attire on formal night.

As it is now, OP asked a simple question and was given two simple correct answers right away. All this other stuff is just mud.

Amen. Excellent post. Bottom line; everyone has their opinion and until our host decides to actually enforce their suggested guidelines (if ever), their opinions really mean nothing.