Is a jacket required on formal night?

AandBmom

It is not a dress code. If you are uncomfortable with that fact may I suggest that maybe you should be the one to avail yourself of other options like room service so as not to be offended by those not in formal wear. You have no grounds; absolutely none whatsoever; to tell people to skip the dinner they have paid for. How utterly obnoxious of you to believe otherwise.

You're right, I don't. But RCCL does, and I wish they would. All they have to do is enforce the "suggested" dress code, and let people know beforehand it will be enforced, and then the passengers can make up their own minds of whether they want to dress, or eat elsewhere.

I once burned my neck pretty bad on a cruise, and showed up for dinner without a tie. I was stopped at the door and told " No tie, no entrance".

On our Dawn cruise, I saw people denied access to the MDR for wearing shorts or sandals.

In both cases, the parties involved were not harmed in any way.

It CAN be done.

And if part of the vacation experience involves formal night at dinner, they should be able to get the experience they paid for.

Therefore, Royal should enforce the MDR dress code, and let those who choose to not dress, do as they please in the Windjammer or other dining venue.

If dressing up and playing let's pretend we are special is part of your vacation experience no one is stopping you, now can give me a valid logical reason that someone not dressed up should not be allowed to eat in the MDR, besides the cruise suggested attire for a theme night, just like Casual Friday at work. And just how uppity don't you sound saying that someone should go elsewhere to eat because they aren't in a tux. So if don't shower the whole cruise and put on a tux, can I please, pretty please be allowed in the MDR that night.

You're right, I don't. But RCCL does, and I wish they would. All they have to do is enforce the "suggested" dress code, and let people know beforehand it will be enforced, and then the passengers can make up their own minds of whether they want to dress, or eat elsewhere.

Not going to happen. The suggested dress code works really well on the ship, it's only on CC that it's a problem.

RCI would have to really advertise the change from suggested to mandatory well in advance and give people the option to cancel and change cruise lines. If they just started enforcing a suggestion without adequate notification, I think their ships would soon be nicknamed Mutiny of the Seas.

If dressing up and playing let's pretend we are special is part of your vacation experience no one is stopping you, now can give me a valid logical reason that someone not dressed up should not be allowed to eat in the MDR, besides the cruise suggested attire for a theme night, just like Casual Friday at work. And just how uppity don't you sound saying that someone should go elsewhere to eat because they aren't in a tux. So if don't shower the whole cruise and put on a tux, can I please, pretty please be allowed in the MDR that night.

Actually, it's those who thumb their noses up at the cruiseline and their fellow passengers by wearing whatever they feel like despite the "suggested" guidelines (put in place only because there are far too many who haven't a clue how to properly dress for certain occasions) who actually perceive themselves as "special." I guess that's the reason many perceive them to be disrespectful oafs, not that they don't have a suit or tux.

How old school - 'disrespectful oafs'. Do you mean 'not quite top draw' gerif?

I suppose it all comes down to respect that includes respect for diversity. Diversity of experience as well as expectations. And respect for diversity of being or not being a tux owner

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Actually, it's those who thumb their noses up at the cruiseline and their fellow passengers by wearing whatever they feel like despite the "suggested" guidelines (put in place only because there are far too many who haven't a clue how to properly dress for certain occasions) who actually perceive themselves as "special." I guess that's the reason many perceive them to be disrespectful oafs, not that they don't have a suit or tux.

We usually dress up on formal night because we choose to; however, referring to those who choose not to as "disrespectful oafs" makes me want to break out my jeans for our next formal night and join them.

Sherri:)

How old school - 'disrespectful oafs'. Do you mean 'not quite top draw' gerif?

I suppose it all comes down to respect that includes respect for diversity. Diversity of experience as well as expectations. And respect for diversity of being or not being a tux owner

Not at all. It means having respect for everyone who chooses to expect a certain ambience in the MDR as part of their cruise experience. Last we were invited to a formal wedding we didn't say, gosh, DH doesn't have a tux and why should we have to rent one, so they won't deny us admission if we just wear whatever we feel like. No, he rented a tux and we dressed as requested out of respect for our host and fellow guests. If you feel you are too special to do that, then it is you who has a problem.

Not at all. It means having respect for everyone who chooses to expect a certain ambience in the MDR as part of their cruise experience. Last we were invited to a formal wedding we didn't say, gosh, DH doesn't have a tux and why should we have to rent one, so they won't deny us admission if we just wear whatever we feel like. No, he rented a tux and we dressed as requested out of respect for our host and fellow guests. If you feel you are too special to do that, then it is you who has a problem.

It is a cruise I'm going on - a holiday on the sea. It's not a special occasion of family and friends. It's hopefully a ship full of potential friends. I usually show my respect to others by my behaviour and how I treat people. Not by how I dress. And I did not get enough of a discount on my cruise to be part of the MDR's ambience. And are we not all special in our own ways

We are equal on a cruise no matter what we wear are we not? I don't see 1st class and steerage on the tickets anymore.

I'm not saying anyone should wear what the like. I'm suggesting a shirt with a collar, slacks or some nice jeans - neat, tidy and might I even say - respectable? That way I would be respecting your expectation of dressing for dinner and you could respect the effort that has been made to do so. See - win/win :)

I like win/win outcomes

I think the key is that no one should feel out of place. If someone is dressed in khahis and a polo shirt and is seated with three other couples wearing tuxes and cocktail dresses, there is the possibility that one of the couples (or all, or none) would feel out of place. It should be everyone's goal not to make others feel uncomfortable.

We have never been seated with anyone on formal night that wasn't wearing at least a suit/dress. Personally, I would feel awkward if I were dressed casually and were seated with someone dressed formally. I can see that not everyone feels the same way.

Edit: One way to avoid this of course would be to choose my time dining. Then you wouldn't be seated with people you don't know.

Edited by galavant3

I think the key is that no one should feel out of place. If someone is dressed in khahis and a polo shirt and is seated with three other couples wearing tuxes and cocktail dresses, there is the possibility that one of the couples (or all, or none) would feel out of place. It should be everyone's goal not to make others feel uncomfortable.

We have never been seated with anyone on formal night that wasn't wearing at least a suit/dress. Personally, I would feel awkward if I were dressed casually and were seated with someone dressed formally. I can see that not everyone feels the same way.

Edit: One way to avoid this of course would be to choose my time dining. Then you wouldn't be seated with people you don't know.

We have been seated with table mates who chose not to wear formal attire, in fact on one cruise, we were the ONLY two people at the table who were dressed formal. It did not make us uncomfortable at all. They were very interesting people, financially able to cruise & travel in their early 30's (something we could have not done at that age!) and we enjoyed our evenings with them. I don't believe they felt awkward at all.

We have been seated with table mates who chose not to wear formal attire, in fact on one cruise, we were the ONLY two people at the table who were dressed formal. It did not make us uncomfortable at all. They were very interesting people, financially able to cruise & travel in their early 30's (something we could have not done at that age!) and we enjoyed our evenings with them. I don't believe they felt awkward at all.

I think that is the key...everyone would react differently. No question I would have still had a nice time, it would have just felt awkward to me.

I think that is the key...everyone would react differently. No question I would have still had a nice time, it would have just felt awkward to me.

But why? If you are happy with the way you are dressed, and your tablemates are happy with the way they are dressed, why would either one of you feel awkward?

When it comes to formal night, there are those that "get it" and those that do not.

I feel like I "get it". But I also feel like maybe YOU feel like you "get it" and that I maybe do NOT "get it". So please explain to us your feelings on the subject.

But why? If you are happy with the way you are dressed, and your tablemates are happy with the way they are dressed, why would either one of you feel awkward?

It's just who I am. I was raised in a military family where "uniform" is key. I'm sure that has something to do with it. It wouldn't be something I would lose sleep over and I don't begrudge anyone the right to dress as they please.

I once burned my neck pretty bad on a cruise, and showed up for dinner without a tie. I was stopped at the door and told " No tie, no entrance".

On our Dawn cruise, I saw people denied access to the MDR for wearing shorts or sandals.

It CAN be done.

I flat out just don't believe that you were denied entrance for the lack of a tie.

And yes, they were harmed. They paid for the food menu in the MDR, and should recieve it.

Would my lack of a tie really ruin your dinner? If it really bother you, you could always ask to switch seats with someone at your table so you did not have to see such horrors.:D

It CAN be done.

You are correct. RCCL has the right to deny access to the MDR on Formal night if you are not dressed in Formal attire. However, RCCL has made the choice not to do that. Again, RCCL has made the choice not to do that. For that reason maybe it would be better to address concerns with RCCL rather than those on CC who decide they will not wear a tux or coat/tie on formal night.

I feel like I "get it". But I also feel like maybe YOU feel like you "get it" and that I maybe do NOT "get it". So please explain to us your feelings on the subject.[/QUOT

Do you really want them to spell it out? Pretty sure 'I get' what their "feelings" are. I don't need them to elaborate.

You really don't think there is a difference between a wedding and dinner on a cruise ship? Really?

One is a lifetime event for friends or family. The other is dinner on vacation with other people who just happened to book the same cruise as you. They are not at all comparable.

You really don't think there is a difference between a wedding and dinner on a cruise ship? Really?

One is a lifetime event for friends or family. The other is dinner on vacation with other people who just happened to book the same cruise as you. They are not at all comparable.

Thank you! Its an apples to footballs comparison.

Since the fashion police here are so high and mighty on telling others to go elsewhere to eat if they dont want to dress formally, maybe its about high time someone tells them to go find another cruise line that DOES have an enforceable dress code. Its rather obvious RCI is not interested in telling people what they can and cannot wear as long as its within reason.

Edited by ryano

To dress up or not to dress up, wow !

After reading a lot of these posts (and a lot of similar threads saying the same thing) I feel that I should wear black and white stripes to control the game!

I think that my dress pants and dress shirt are acceptable (and feel that many many men feel the same way) and that I can be the referee between the "slobs" and the "snobs".

Seriously, there are a certain group of people that want to stick with tradition and a number of people that are "all about me" on a cruise (then there are a bunch of us dress pants and shirts guys ) and that's never going to change, so relax and enjoy your cruise and don't sweat the small stuff. If the day comes that I'm turned away from formal night then I will go somewhere else to eat, but its not going to spoil my cruise, its that simple.

I'm the OP and am now back from our cruise. My husband decided not to bother packing a jacket and felt totally comfortable in his shirt and tie. I peeked around the dining room and a quick calculation revealed that it appeared to be about 50/50 b/w jacket and no jacket. The odd male didn't even have a dress shirt on. I'd say for future no need for the jacket but a nice shirt and tie with dress pants is appropriate.