Is a jacket required on formal night?

AandBmom

I have to wonder if any of the 'you must where a jacket/formal crowd smuggle alcohol or bring other prohibited items?

The clothing IS suggested. The others are stated as a NO!

A complete non sequitur.

Why not just ask if people who want RCCL to enforce a dress code, also cheat on their taxes?

A complete non sequitur.

Why not just ask if people who want RCCL to enforce a dress code, also cheat on their taxes?

That's your opinion, and I disagree with it. ;)

Oops! Just dawned on me. You're a smuggler, aren't you?

Edited by WetToes

Amen. Excellent post. Bottom line; everyone has their opinion and until our host decides to actually enforce their suggested guidelines (if ever), their opinions really mean nothing.

Looked at your Avitar. You don't realize it yet, but you just agreed with a University of Tennessee fan. I hope this does not change your Amen! I think I could probably buy you a beer…not dressed formal though. Good luck with March Madness.

Looked at your Avitar. You don't realize it yet, but you just agreed with a University of Tennessee fan. I hope this does not change your Amen! I think I could probably buy you a beer…not dressed formal though. Good luck with March Madness.

Not in the slightest. I have great respect for all of my SEC brethren. As for FSU, that's another subject.

I would have guessed by your screen name that you are a Belmont University fan. My daughter is in the doctorate program at Vanderbilt.

I agree that a person dressed like a slob should not eat in the dining room. Heck I don't want them to eat anywhere outside of their own cabin.

I don't get why some insist on telling others that they 'must' do this or that, when even the cruise line isn't insisting.

But yet, you DO want to have some standards for the MDR.

Why not make the "cutoff" RC's suggested dress, instead of your "no slobs".

The problem is that many of the "we dress the way we want" crowd are at or near slob status.

Casual dressers - what do you do at home when attending functions where "dress-up" is expected - weddings, funerals, church functions, dances, etc. Is it your goal at these events to be dressed more casually than most? If so, why?, and don't you ever feel underdressed? I'm guessing most of you dress as you expect to be the "norm" at an event.

Why then is it so difficult to throw a tie and sport coat into your suitcase so that you can dress as most expect in the MDR on certain nights. No, you won't be thrown out of the MDR and you won't be thrown out of that funeral either, but just can't understand why so many of you are intent on pushing the "lower limit" on MDR dress. Most of your posts indicate it because its "your vacation", i.e. its all about you. Sad.

I tend to dress appropriately for any given occasion, however in regards to your question, which is an interesting one; weddings, funerals, etc., are special one time events involving friends, family, commemorating a once off event.

So then you ask why not on vacation? Well, a vacation is a vacation. There is no special event actually being celebrated or commemorated. I guess the better question is; since cruising is now a floating resort (talking about week long caribbean cruises and similar) why do we pretend this is fine travel/exploring and play dress up?

My suit is at the dry cleaners for my next cruise, and I just got my sport jacket back from the tailor (sorry, I don't own a tuxedo...forgive me). I've got a new tie I'm looking to try out though. I don't HAVE to dress up at home on a regular basis, I work in a hot climate and often from home, so there's no real need. So therefore I do enjoy looking nice and a photo opportunity, but that's ALL formal night on a caribbean cruise is; a photo opportunity. Let's stop pretending this is about tradition.

Less and less people stay dressed formally after dinner and there's really no special events going on that would necessitate that either. No one seems to care about that. Is it not still "formal night"? Why do I need to sit through a show at 10PM in a dark theater in a suit when a pair of shorts and a polo is infinitely more comfortable?

People who choose not to go 100% formal are not infringing on anyone elses ability to do so; only those that stress that others DO dress 100% formally are the ones being imposing. They like to bully others and tell them what to do or to go eat else where or to make them feel ashamed. This is not a funeral. It's a cruise. Why?

The problem is that many of the "we dress the way we want" crowd are at or near slob status.[/quote.

I don't necessarily agree that "many of the dress...slob status".

I don't see what the big deal is if someone is, say wearing flip flops under the table.

I'd much rather have flip flops or shorts under the table than someone in a tux or gown chewing with their mouth open, or blowing their nose at the table.

Just because you dress 'em up... .

Not in the slightest. I have great respect for all of my SEC brethren. As for FSU, that's another subject.

I would have guessed by your screen name that you are a Belmont University fan. My daughter is in the doctorate program at Vanderbilt.

Only for your SEC brethren, huh? I'm a graduate & avid fan of a non-SEC school, but I DO have fond memories of our last game vs. the Gators... ;)

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

Only for your SEC brethren, huh? I'm a graduate & avid fan of a non-SEC school, but I DO have fond memories of our last game vs. the Gators... ;)

LetsGetWet,

I think you're internet stalking me. I never said "only".

How about sharing those memories about that game. If it was this year's football team, lots of teams had their way with us. But we're doing pretty well in basketball this year.

Edited by comxkid

We should worry less about what someone else may be wearing at dinner than how they behave. I've been seated near people dressed to the nines who loudly brayed like mules all through dinner. Another time I was seated next to a smartly dressed couple who were a couple of bigots and he farted all through the meal. You can put lipstick and a formal on a pig and it's still a pig.

LetsGetWet,

I think you're internet stalking me. I never said "only".

How about sharing those memories about that game. If it was this year's football team, lots of teams had their way with us. But we're doing pretty well in basketball this year.

Hey, it was meant as a friendly "gig" sure not meant to offend! Thus the smiley at the end. As for which team, all I'll say is 62-24, Bay-bee! :D

Hey, it was meant as a friendly "gig" sure not meant to offend! Thus the smiley at the end. As for which team, all I'll say is 62-24, Bay-bee! :D

No offense taken. The old "disaster in the desert" game. I was there. I think we set a school record for missed tackles that game.

Tax minimisation is not against the law.

But not everyone owns a suit or a jacket let alone a tux. In Australia it's not required for everyone's lifestyle. I have been to christenings where there was not a suit in sight. Very nice shirts and pants aplenty though.

But I'm thinking RCI are just adjusting to modern cruising and leaving it as a recommendation. Tradition is good. But sometimes it does need to adjust to change

I remember reading a cruising blog where someone was upset that staffing cuts had meant the guy that walked the decks banging the gong for dinner was no longer there. This was in 2010. I'm sure life went on for a pleasant cruise with out the sound of the gong. :).

Traditions change and I hope new traditions are made.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

it's RCI's party and they insist that everyone is welcome on formal night no matter their dress so that is what it is. so, even though RCI suggest formal attire they then basically turnaround and encourage it be ignored when the MDR staff insist that every one come on formal night no matter how they want to dress.

You are rude.

Royal is not a high tier cruise line so please stop acting like you are better then other people.

Some posters just can't believe this is true. You have to chuckle at their innocence. :p I'm a little embarrassed for them.:o

Apparently the 'tale' didn't read the line where the poster said their experience was on the JOTS, or maybe they didn't know what that meant.

Edited by WetToes

what do you mean by: "no body else does it" We cruise a lot and always dress up. I also see at least 85% of the men with at least a jacket. how can 85% represent nobody. if only 1 man wears a jacket, there goes your nobody theory. what you are saying is that you don't wear a jacket. and to me that is fine, it is your vacation. but don't include me in your nobody list.

I agree. Most men do wear them. My dh would feel very uncomfortable being one of the few without him. Although he would love to leave it home.

The problem is that many of the "we dress the way we want" crowd are at or near slob status.

The fact of the matter for myself is if it happens to be formal night, we dress "appropriately". Would never ever thing of walking into the MDR on formal night dressed in flip flops, a t-shirt, shorts, etc...