Tipping

kitty52

We just got back from our cruise from Ft. Lauderdale on the Crown. We had a driver bring our bags from our hotel. The porter wanted money from us to get our bags three inches from where our driver left them to the cage they were going to go in.

I guess I must have prayed to the correct AOS (Angel of suitcases) as the cases were at our door right after we had lunch and they were dry!

Guess we will from now on pay the case tax to make sure they get to our room and dry!

I normally tip a couple of dollars per bag but I confess in Port Everglades it does rankle me to tip the porters when the taxi driver or van driver takes your bags and puts them right up against the luggage cages. Last month with the van driver having placed our bags against the cage....I did the unthinkable....I didn't tip the porter but was a bit more generous with the van driver....our luggage arrived in our cabin without issue. However, when we disembarked I certainly tipped the porter that handled our luggage to the cab line.

Yes, I did see 3 bags go floating on Christmas Eve in San Diego but that's another story

I guess that I am missing something here.

Spending $1000-$7000 on a vacation and worrying about about a $5-$10 tip to ensure prompt delivery of my luggage is not the way I begin a week of relaxation.

Mike:)

The tipping culture in America is completely out of hand, to everyone else in the world we wonder how they got to that state where everyone in the service industry needs to be bribed to do there job, the sooner it changes the better.

The tipping culture in America is completely out of hand, to everyone else in the world we wonder how they got to that state where everyone in the service industry needs to be bribed to do there job, the sooner it changes the better.

I've got news for you, it won't be changing so you might as well deal with it.

I guess that I am missing something here.

Spending $1000-$7000 on a vacation and worrying about about a $5-$10 tip to ensure prompt delivery of my luggage is not the way I begin a week of relaxation.

It isn't the tip, it's the openly displayed bad attitude the porters have and the fear that your luggage might go swimming. This has been going on for many years and I doubt it will change.

You get it in restaurants too, i have had terrible food, terrible service and not left a tip and been chased into to the car with a torrent of abuse. This is very rare but the tip in america is expected and almost demanded.

It isn't the tip, it's the openly displayed bad attitude the porters have and the fear that your luggage might go swimming. This has been going on for many years and I doubt it will change.

I guess that we have been lucky as we've not experienced any bad attitude by the porters so far.

On the 1st our taxi pulled up to the terminal entrance (about 930) as disembarking passengers were streaming out onto the street and we got out with our three large bags and within a minute a fellow came along pushing a cage and asked if we were boarding. I gave him $10 he thanked me and pointed us to the entrance and said have a good cruise.

I guess that we have been lucky as we've not experienced any bad attitude by the porters so far.

On the 1st our taxi pulled up to the terminal entrance (about 930) as disembarking passengers were streaming out onto the street and we got out with our three large bags and within a minute a fellow came along pushing a cage and asked if we were boarding. I gave him $10 he thanked me and pointed us to the entrance and said have a good cruise.

That's because you tipped him nicely.;) I make sure before I leave home that I have my tip ready! I find it annoying when they check the amount of the tip before saying thank you.

We always tip around $5 for our two bags; once in San Diego though bags were loaded like lightening and no one even looked for a tip. There was actually no opportunity to tip.

We were cruising with 7 grandkids once, plus the two of us, all with carry-ons, since we weren't going to pay baggage fees for 9! For some reason that escapes me now, we did not have the cruise ship luggage tags on any of the suitcases.

The porter who helped us was absolutely amazing, helping us and the kids fill out the tags and attach them and get the luggage loaded--all while joking with the kids and not complaining because our large group was a little disorganized (kids 5-11) and took a bit of time. He got a very nice and well deserved tip.

This was in Fort Lauderdale. While I don't really like the tipping culture, especially for porters who are already very well paid, I go along with it out of necessity and prudence.

Unfortunately in the US there are many jobs where the service employee is not paid a living wage and must supplement with tips to make a living. In this way the business keeps its expenses down, and requires employees to provide good service to be able to get tips - especially in restaurants. This is bribery, but at a corporate level. That's why servers may get incensed if they are "stiffed" with low or no tip.

I think this culture is also why so many from the US want to know if the cruise line employees are also being underpaid in the same manner. We want to be fair to those who provide such good service.

Unfortunately in the US there are many jobs where the service employee is not paid a living wage and must supplement with tips to make a living. In this way the business keeps its expenses down, and requires employees to provide good service to be able to get tips - especially in restaurants. This is bribery, but at a corporate level. That's why servers may get incensed if they are "stiffed" with low or no tip.

I think this culture is also why so many from the US want to know if the cruise line employees are also being underpaid in the same manner. We want to be fair to those who provide such good service.

Tipping is a social custom that varies widely by culture. In Japan it's not part of the culture and can be seen as offensive, whereas in the USA it's widely practiced. In fact, our labor laws define a tipped employee as one who customarily and regularly receives tips of $30 or more -- per month. Employers are permitted to take a "tip credit" for these workers. I've just looked it up again, and I don't think this part has changed in 30 years: "the required cash wage" an employer must pay hourly is $2.13. So as minimum wage rates have increased, so has the tip credit the employer can take. Tipped employees are expected to make up the difference with gratuities/tips that they receive... AND they have to report those tips to the employer for income taxation.

Before crying that the employer is "taking advantage," know that the IRS has a say as well with something known as "Tip Allocation," which comes into play when overall reported tips dip below 8% of sales (on which tips are based.) Bottom line is the general belief is that --despite those that "stiff" their server by not leaving a tip-- that tipped employees do well.

Bad service deserves a poor tip. [Not "no tip" but a poor tip: I was told long ago by someone that if they experience really bad service, then they leave a penny, so that the server knows that a tip wasn't just forgotten.] The employee that delivers the poor service deserves only to be mad at themself. Yet, living down here in South Florida, I can understand the frustration some servers experience when a visitor is not familiar with our customary tipping. [The OP should be applauded for reaching out and learning the local custom.]

Sadly, it's a tough call as to what's appropriate for the particular employee the OP asked about. Just look at the wide range of answers.

I think it was Pam that pointed out that a similar luggage transfer in the UK wouldn't expect a tip. But here, lifting a bag from the curb to the cart, a tip is almost demanded.

Soon, I wonder, if the ground crew that loads our luggage onto the plane will be making a pass through the aisle of the plane with a tip jar! What about the tip jar for ToGo orders in take out restaurants? Tip for what? Taking the order or cooking the food? How about the housekeepers in upscale hotels with tip envelopes? Employers are NOT taking tip credits for housekeepers.

Someone pointed that what happens at the port will not change. And I'd say that's true only because it's not a big enough issue for Princess to address (or expend the energy to win a battle over it.)

Take the catered reception in a family home last year as an example. At the bar, a guest I didn't know was coaching the bartender, explaining that if the bartender put a few dollars in a glass and put that up on the bar, that the bartender would make a lot more money. I then piped up and explained to the person: "Actually there is NOT a tip jar at the bar because we are taking care of the bartender's gratuity and we expect our guests to enjoy themselves without worry to the staff's compensation." Because we negotiated with the caterer fees and gratuities.

As for ships employees being underpaid.... it depends upon which standard is applied. Ask a worker who earns triple time because they worked over eight hours on a holiday and I'm sure they'll tell you shipboard wages are abusive. But we know that on board a ship... it's a whole different world... or country to be specific... that governs labor standards. It's hard to imagine a labor contract lasting 10 months where the employee must work 7 days a week with only blocks of hours off here and there. That's how it works, yet most, if not all, front-of-house employees that I have spoken to on Princess genuinely enjoy and appreciate their work. So ask an applicant on the other side of the world, and I bet they'd tell you it's a great job.

I'm thankful for these forums because I never gave a thought to what happened to the $20 tip that I signed to my room when I ate in each specialty restaurant; now I know to hand my server a cash gratuity for personable and exceptional service I receive in Sabatini's and Crown Grill. Cruise service staff NEVER present an attitude of expectation when it comes to providing a gratuity, but they are certainly APPRECIATIVE.

Quite a different picture compared to what's described of the porters. Definitely a cultural issue and what is socially accepted.

I would LOVE Princess to take up the issue. They could. Make "No tipping in Port" a policy. Install cams to document and identify mishandled luggage. Negotiate the labor contracts to include fines/penalties for damaged luggage, etc. I'd bet Princess would take up this TOUGH battle should they receive enough feedback from angry guests to recognize it as an issue.

Until then... and you're gonna love this after reading some much... I'll continue to carry on my luggage. :eek:

When I was young and naive I believed the signs at FLL that said No Tipping Required and never had a problem. When I learned that tipping was indeed expected I started tipping, but was unsure of the amounts. So when we got off the bus with three pieces of luggage and I gave the guy with the cart a $5 bill he looked at it and snarled, "This is for all 3 bags?" And guess what! When the luggage arrived at the cabin one bag was missing until I went and asked about it. Why? Because the nice leather luggage tag had been cut off. Since then I've usually overtipped, given the porter a big smile and said "Thank you." And yes, it works as protection and peace of mind for me.

776 days at sea....39 ships.....7 continents

HAL 4* Princess Elite

....................................................................................................SNIP.........................................................................

I would LOVE Princess to take up the issue. They could. Make "No tipping in Port" a policy. Install cams to document and identify mishandled luggage. Negotiate the labor contracts to include fines/penalties for damaged luggage, etc. I'd bet Princess would take up this TOUGH battle should they receive enough feedback from angry guests to recognize it as an issue.

Until then... and you're gonna love this after reading some much... I'll continue to carry on my luggage. :eek:

This is not the first time a porter tipping thread has come up. Princess has already received feedback from it's pax. The problem is that Princess pays for the dock space but has no control over the union that the porters belong to. If the porters (stevedores) went on strike, it would shut down the port and they know it. So it's best to just pay the ransom and enjoy your cruise.

Try to do a carry on of your own luggage. If they take it away at the security screening ( inside the terminal after you've checked in) because it is too big to fit then the cruise line will be handling your suitcase and not the extortionist porters.

People who succumb to blackmail encourage more of it.

Well nice to know I sparked off a good old debate!!! Interesting reading.

We have always tipped in the speciality restaurants onboard and given extra to our cabin steward. We have also given extra to a waitress in one of the bars on board a ship, which we frequented regularly, who knew exactly what we wanted to drink when she saw us. That to me was service and deserved tipping. I agree about the one penny. We have done that in the UK - not a penny - but a small insignificant amount - very rarely - if the service has been really poor.

While the tipping percentage is around double in the US from UK we accept the "norm" and pay up. You have a choice when visiting other countries either pay or don't go - as simple as that!!

The key part of this discussion was noted above. Princess has absolutely no control of the porters or your luggage until the trolleys are loaded aboard ship. They can request changes and note behavior to port management but that's about it.

Tipping porters is customary in the US to a certain extent, under the same category as bell staff. Unfortunately, some porters, bell staff, etc have learned to game the system. In a hotel, you can at least carry your stuff to the room yourself, if you have multiple bags of size going onto a cruise ship, not an option so much, and there is not much in the way of recourse.

Many people don't tip the porters at all and don't have issues. Remember, the porters are making union scale - they aren't dependent on tips like the cruise staff are.

What's union scale wages nowadays? And, do they really destroy luggage? Really?

My TA told me that the Princess transfer price includes tip....so, does that mean I tip on top of tip?