Should I come back to Carnival? Very conflicted.

frayedend

After my last cruise on Dream I was pretty sure I was done with Carnival. Although my only 2 Carnival cruises were on Dream and we enjoyed them, I wasn't completely happy. I forget some of my complaints but the only real thing keeping from going back was a lack of things for my kids to do. They are boys, 13 and 11. They will not absolutely not do the kids club. So please don't post how they will enjoy. It doesn't matter because they won't do it and every time I post that I get at least a few people telling me to force it on them. Anyhow, that's out. So they spend money in the arcade all day and night. The basketball is always filled with teens that won't let them play. Mini golf is bore city after a while, and honestly the water slides didn't really entertain them much, at least not to keep them busy for a week. It was so noisy outside you couldn't hear the movies on the big screen so that kind of sucked for them too.

We planned on our next cruise being Oasis or Allure. We really like Royal Caribbean and there is lots for the boys to do. They like to skate and things like that. They will go to the shows and somewhat enjoy them.

Anyhow, this is where my conflict arises. We have friends we cruised with last time. They book Valor Southern in July. We weren't sure we could go on a vacation this year, but taxes worked out so we may be booking something. We can go Valor for about $4500 (2 balcony staterooms, I snore badly) or we can go on Allure in August for $5000 with 2 balcony (boardwalk, not ocean).

The problem is no friends on RCI. Our friends have a son that my kids love hanging out with. I don't know what to do. The kids aren't sure either. They want to see Allure or Oasis as well. But they like having a friend. Valor has a great itinerary and is port heavy, so less time on ship. But that will also mean more money.

Advice? How are the shows and other things on Valor?

Until my son can afford to pay for the vacation, he does not get a say in the vacation. You are the parent make a parent choice. You are in charge of your budget, etc. Who worked for the tax refund/vacation? You kids should be thankful that they get a vacation. How many of their friends have been on a cruise?

Make the kids pack a book & have the read it when they complain about being bored.

Edited by TheCalicoCat

To is the ship is a method to get to beautiful ports if call. On sea days we keep the kids with us the entire day. We sit by the pool, play the trivia games, watch sports, just kinda hang out. We do historic and learning stuff in the ports. The Valor cruise is on out list of must do's. We have been to San Juan on a cruise but would love to spend two full days there. Tons of history and a ton to see and do. To us it is about who you are with and where you are going. The Oasis/Allure are on out list but we would not miss a trip like that with friends! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Absolutely, 100% go on the Allure! Amazing experience. Your kids will be so busy that their biggest problem may be deciding what to eliminate from their "must do" list. There's simply not enough time to do every little thing there is to do. They won't need to sail with friends to avoid boredom.

We did a Boardwalk stateroom and it was perfect. No complaints.

And if your kids don't enjoy the Allure and still find themselves bored, then there isn't any cruise ship out there that they will enjoy. That will definitely be your indication that it may be time to either pick a different type of vacation, or just leave the kids at home while you cruise, at least until they are old enough to appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

Since it is a family vacation I would choose the one that everyone will enjoy. If the kids aren't happy then you aren't going to have as good a time. I would go with Allure, I loved my RCI cruises and think their product is much better and would choose RCI over Carnival if I could make it work. I would really like to cruise on Oasis or Allure one day.

We planned on our next cruise being Oasis or Allure. We really like Royal Caribbean and there is lots for the boys to do. They like to skate and things like that. They will go to the shows and somewhat enjoy them.

I would choose either of the above since there's lots for your boys to do. It doesn't sound like Carnival is a fit for your family. That would be my choice, why go and expect to be miserable on Carnival?

After my last cruise on Dream I was pretty sure I was done with Carnival. Although my only 2 Carnival cruises were on Dream and we enjoyed them, I wasn't completely happy. I forget some of my complaints but the only real thing keeping from going back was a lack of things for my kids to do. They are boys, 13 and 11. They will not absolutely not do the kids club. So please don't post how they will enjoy. It doesn't matter because they won't do it and every time I post that I get at least a few people telling me to force it on them. Anyhow, that's out. So they spend money in the arcade all day and night. The basketball is always filled with teens that won't let them play. Mini golf is bore city after a while, and honestly the water slides didn't really entertain them much, at least not to keep them busy for a week. It was so noisy outside you couldn't hear the movies on the big screen so that kind of sucked for them too.

Anyhow, this is where my conflict arises. We have friends we cruised with last time. They book Valor Southern in July. We weren't sure we could go on a vacation this year, but taxes worked out so we may be booking something. We can go Valor for about $4500 (2 balcony staterooms, I snore badly) or we can go on Allure in August for $5000 with 2 balcony (boardwalk, not ocean).

The problem is no friends on RCI. Our friends have a son that my kids love hanging out with. I don't know what to do. The kids aren't sure either. They want to see Allure or Oasis as well. But they like having a friend. Valor has a great itinerary and is port heavy, so less time on ship. But that will also mean more money.

Advice? How are the shows and other things on Valor?

I would definitely pick the cruise that their friend is on. It doesn't matter what other activities there are - a friend will be the main attraction.

Until my son can afford to pay for the vacation, he does not get a say in the vacation. You are the parent make a parent choice. You are in charge of your budget, etc. Who worked for the tax refund/vacation? You kids should be thankful that they get a vacation. How many of their friends have been on a cruise?

Make the kids pack a book & have the read it when they complain about being bored.

Wow! Really? I mean I don't think you even got my post. It's not just a conflict because of the kids. We like to go with our friends as well. We have a great time with them. I bet your son just loves your vacations huh? Anyhow, we vacation as a family for family fun. I can't imagine a parent that would be happy with their kids being miserable because they are happy and they paid for it. That just seems so weird to me.

Anyhow I know what is on Allure. But what are the shows like on Valor? Are they the same shows from ship to ship? They don't need to be broadway quality for me, but I'd hate to get on and find out it's the same exact shows.

Wow! Really? I mean I don't think you even got my post. It's not just a conflict because of the kids. We like to go with our friends as well. We have a great time with them. I bet your son just loves your vacations huh? Anyhow, we vacation as a family for family fun. I can't imagine a parent that would be happy with their kids being miserable because they are happy and they paid for it. That just seems so weird to me.

Anyhow I know what is on Allure. But what are the shows like on Valor? Are they the same shows from ship to ship? They don't need to be broadway quality for me, but I'd hate to get on and find out it's the same exact shows.

The shows will be different on different ships. I want to go on Allure or Oasis but can't afford it yet. Southern Caribbean is an outstanding intenrary. I would also check your flight costs but if I can afford it. I would probably go with friends

The shows will be different on different ships. I want to go on Allure or Oasis but can't afford it yet. Southern Caribbean is an outstanding intenrary. I would also check your flight costs but if I can afford it. I would probably go with friends

Yeah I checked flights and the San Juan will cost a little more. So really the costs are almost equal. That's only because the Carnival Cruise is in July and we are flexible so we can wait and go toward the end of August when prices come down a bit for Allure. I just don't know. My wife just read the entertainment options for each ship at night. For the kids Carnival had nothing except the arcade. We all tend to be night owls. The late comedy shows aren't for kids, then there is arcade or bar. The shows and entertainment on Allure just seem incredibly better.

I'm mom to three boys, 22 (almost 23), 18 and 14. Oldest doesn't sail with us anymore (he's a Navy officer and does plenty of his own sailing:p), but we started cruising when he was 13. Our sons have registered with the kids' clubs but only do selected activities. They find it a good way to meet other kids. (As for basketball - on our 2010 Conquest cruise the clubs had a free throw competition. Middle son got a medal. And he got to meet Patrick Ewing Jr., who was critiquing the competition. :cool:)

My own thought is specific to Valor and its itinerary. You have only one sea day, so assuming you're going ashore in the ports you really won't be on board during the day that much. If you like the itinerary and want to cruise with friends, I wouldn't worry as much about the onboard activities.

But what are the shows like on Valor?

I can tell you that they are NOTHING like what you'll find on the Allure. Even if the shows are different than what you saw on the Dream, they will follow a similar format and level of professionalism.

We sailed on the Dream and the Allure the same year within months of each other. Going from the Allure shows to the Dream shows was like going from an award-winning show at Broadway or Las Vegas to a production at our local high school gym. Ocean Aria at the Aqua Theater and Blue Planet at the Main Theater rivaled professional shows for which we've paid good money to see on land. We would've gladly paid money to see these shows on the ship. By the way, you'll be able to watch the Aqua Theater performances right from your stateroom balcony. :D

Having done both, I have to agree I would do the Allure. We took our kids on two Carnival cruises and both times they did not like them. They loved the Royal Caribbean kids/teen program. Both were sad when they "aged out" of the program. :(

Having been on the Oasis, there will be so much for your active kids to do, they won't have enough time to do it in. Even though your friends have chosen Carnival, you have to choose what's right for your family. Also, alone time together (just you and your husband) won't be such a bad thing. :)

My vote - Allure, hands down. BTW - your oldest (13) will qualify for the teen program, which he might enjoy much more than the kids program.

I would pick the Allure too, I am taking the kids on their first cruise so I can't tell you how they will like the kids activities. The one thing DD is looking forward to is meeting other kids her own age, so not having her own friends there is not that big of a deal.

I would pick one that the whole family can enjoy together :)

The most active part of my cruises has always been the ports. On the ship, I prefer a lot of relaxation (even boredom). Remember that the Valor cruise out of San Juan has five ports and only one sea day. I'm not knocking any other cruise line, and surely would be interested to try other lines than Carnival if the price were right, but there is a great advantage to being with friends who also enjoy cruising.

you either don't have children or you have exceptionally well behaved children.

if i want to enjoy my vacation my kid better be happy too. or we'll both be unhappy.

otherwise... honestly, unless your friends son is going to avoid the kids club to, i'd go on Oasis or Allure... having done Liberty on RCI, i was amazing at how much stuff there was to do that wasn't focused on the kids club, i keep flirting with going back to royal, and you want your son to have a good time too, it's also his vacation whether or not he has the job to pay for it.

You should really check out Norwegian ..we went on the epic last march..and had a blast there shows were great they had blue man group...cirque..and rock climbing wall...Nintendo Wii in the atrium on huge screen..and tons of other stuff for them.and it will be a lot less than rccl..they are too expensive imo...we had a blast I'm sure the getaway and breakaway Are the same ..we Will be going back on Norwegian real soon..check them out....

If I want to enjoy my vacation my kid better be happy too, or we'll both be unhappy neighbors

Amen to that. While I understand that the parents should have the final word on where the family goes on vacation, I think its advisable and wise to consult with the other family members, find out what their likes and dislikes are, and take that into consideration. After all, it's a FAMILY vacation. How enjoyable would it be if the only family member having fun is the one making the money while everyone is just dragging along?

You know your kids. One of y kids favorite things when cruising is making new friends and hanging out. Now, that they are teens they rarely go to the clubs.

My kids hated Allure of the Seas. They said that it was too big and very difficult to meet other kids. They would never do all of the activities.

The last time we sailed on Carnival about 6 years ago, they hated it. They were both in the kids program. My son was in 4th grade and daughter was in 1st grade.

We sail on all lines and have enjoyed each cruise. We cruise 2-3 times a year.

I sailed on the Breeze in Sept and had a great time. I wanted to book it for our family. But, our kids wanted a longer cruise. 7 days on Liberty instead of 6 on Breeze.

I am hoping that they will have a good time.

ETA: My kids prefer to cruise on smaller ships- 80,000 tons is a good size for them. They are so busy in their everyday lives that they just want to hang out and do nothing. We sailed on NCL Sun over Christmas/NYE and my son said it was the best cruise he has ever been on.

Edited by stsomewhere

Amen to that. While I understand that the parents should have the final word on where the family goes on vacation, I think its advisable and wise to consult with the other family members, find out what their likes and dislikes are, and take that into consideration. After all, it's a FAMILY vacation. How enjoyable would it be if the only family member having fun is the one making the money while everyone is just dragging along?

Well said - the whole family needs to have fun on the trip and kids can make you miserable if they want to no matter what kind of parenting you do. Those kids will soon not want to vacation with the Family. You have to enjoy every minute you can with them, before you know it they will be grown. I would hate for my daughter to look back on the family vacations that we took and feel like we just forced her to follow us around (she is 19 now).