Le Bistro now $30??????

david_sobe

We were on the Breakaway during the Valentine Day dinner. (...) It's worth $20. not $49.00.

Didn't you get the free wines (sparkling and regular) like others have reported in this thread? $49 for dinner including wines is excellent value IMHO.

Yes, I do know that the Platinum voucher grants you to get a bottle too but there is no need to even open it if one doesn't want to - one can take the unopened bottle from the restaurant just as well.

Yes, I do know that the Platinum voucher grants you to get a bottle too but there is no need to even open it if one doesn't want to - one can take the unopened bottle from the restaurant just as well.

Very true. As a non-drinker I always choose my wine and ask for it not to be opened. At the end of the cruise I give all these bottles to 'special' crew.

Also as a side note: You can order cocktails instead of the bottle of wine.

Harriet

So was the special menu at LeBistro on Valentine's Day, an addition to the regular menu, or a substitute for the entire menu on that day? Not quite clear....

If it was a substitute, I suppose they would not honor the Platinum Latitudes's comp. voucher's on that day, which is limited to $20.....

I thought the filet mignon (had it twice!!), at LeBistro was very nice...definitely better than what was served in the MDR. I ordered mine without the sauce...was very good.

I will say that the filet at Cagney's was even better...I had read on these boards earlier, that the filet's served at LeBistro and Cagney's were identical, but not quite to my finding....

....It's worth $20. not $49.00....

That is not a fair comparison, the $20 cover charge does not include wine but the $49 did! For us, they were both good and fair value at their respective prices. We had a lingering meal, probably over two hours (our choice), and had the equivalent of two full bottles i.e. half bottle of champagne, and at least 1.5 bottles wine between us...that represents excellent value in my book.

The platinum free meal perk, which does include wine, is irrelevant to the OP question.

I thought the filet mignon (had it twice!!), at LeBistro was very nice...definitely better than what was served in the MDR. I ordered mine without the sauce...was very good.

I will say that the filet at Cagney's was even better...I had read on these boards earlier, that the filet's served at LeBistro and Cagney's were identical, but not quite to my finding....

There is no filet mignon on the Le Bistro menu, it is beef tenderloin and for our taste was every bit as good (albeit slightly different) as Cagney's filet mignon.

Very true. As a non-drinker I always choose my wine and ask for it not to be opened. At the end of the cruise I give all these bottles to 'special' crew.

Harriet

Harriet, that is a lovely touch. It was a real pleasure to meet you on our recent cruise. Looking out the window at miserable weather today, wishing we had done the return 28 day journey as you did....retirement still a long way off, so will be some time before that is an option for us!

I'm always amazed about the amount of mis-information available on this website. One would think Cruise Critics would be more knowledgeable cruisers.

Despite multiple claims to the contrary in this very thread, the Dailies posted DO, in fact, indicate that the price for Le Bistro was $49 on Valentines day. I can't imagine why someone would reference a source and then not even check that very source before reporting what it says. :confused: All this is going to do is confuse other cruisers.

And FWIW...Valentine's day is in the PAST. Whether or not there was a special menu available on that day, and whether or not the price was $49, really has no bearing on a future cruise. The price and/or menu could very well change at any time....I'd be more worried about what IS than what WAS (JMHO).

To be perfectly honest, NCL could have raised Le Bistro's price even further and applied the increase to the whole cruise. Le Bistro's reservations for the entire week were all snapped up on the first day...you simply could not get in....it was worse than you normally see at Teppanyaki.

What in the world are you talking about???? I referenced the dailies and they do in fact confirm that Le Bistro is still $20. I also stated that it would not be unusual for Valentines Day to have a "special". Where is the misinformation???

Borrow my glasses???:D

We were on the Feb 8th sailing and Le Bistro was $20.00 The Valentines day menu was $49.00 with limite offerings which include surf and turf. The food was excellent. I had the rack of lamb and my wife had the filet mignon. Both entres were superb.

EVERYONE: I know the NCL site says $20

I was asking if anyone sailed and experienced $30 like the other person. The OP stated if you pre-booked it was $20 but $30 on board. Maybe for Valentines week they increased the price. Or sometimes over and over we hear about things on ships and then the NCL site is the last to know. Happens all the time.

It wouldn't surprise me as it would make the dining packages that more enticing for folks.

What in the world are you talking about???? I referenced the dailies and they do in fact confirm that Le Bistro is still $20. I also stated that it would not be unusual for Valentines Day to have a "special". Where is the misinformation???

Borrow my glasses???:D

I have to say I'm surprised that you would dig in and take a goal line stand over this. I guess the mis-information machine is harder to kill than I thought!

Go ahead, and put those glasses on, I won't be needing them. Although you might want your eye doctor to recheck that prescription. ;)

Just to make it easy, I AGAIN went to the link in Post #3 and I copied the Daily posted for Day #7...since that is Valetine's Day and the subject of the thread.

I am attaching Page 4 of that Daily to this post as it is the page that would show the restaurant pricing on that day. Please feel free to show me what the price is for Le Bistro.

If anyone doesn't want to look at the daily...I'll also attach a screenshot of the restaurant's price.

Pages from day-seven.pdf

Bistro.jpg.0cb4c4dc46fa2c987c89bea5564915ca.jpg

I have to say I'm surprised that you would dig in and take a goal line stand over this. I guess the mis-information machine is harder to kill than I thought!

Go ahead, and put those glasses on, I won't be needing them. Although you might want your eye doctor to recheck that prescription. ;)

Just to make it easy, I AGAIN went to the link in Post #3 and I copied the Daily posted for Day #7...since that is Valetine's Day and the subject of the thread.

I am attaching Page 4 of that Daily to this post as it is the page that would show the restaurant pricing on that day. Please feel free to show me what the price is for Le Bistro.

If anyone doesn't want to look at the daily...I'll also attach a screenshot of the restaurant's price.

I suggest you read the title of the original post, which is "Le Bistro now $30??????".

Nothing you've posted answers the question of whether Le Bistro costs $30, and I don't see anyone attempting to dispute the fact that they had a $49 "special" price on Valentine's Day, which is amply support by several posts on this thread.

OK, just trying to play peacemaker here. It appears that the original reviewer of the Feb. 9th Breakaway cruise (http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=250273) was in error or was misinformed, at the time of her pre-booking, about the regular Le Bistro price being $30, since several posters who were on the actual cruise, as well as the website dailies, have confirmed that it is still $20.

It’s interesting that people were still able to pre-book Valentine’s Day at the regular $20 cost (instead of a higher price, if not the full $49). Maybe NCL’s perk as a way of getting people to commit to the specialty restaurant?

But NCL should do a better job of making it clear about any special-day menus and different costs, so that if people pre-book, they will not be misled, especially if not all the regular menu options will not offered, which was the complaint of a few posters. Then they’ll have more accurate information with which to make their pre-cruise dining plans. It could impact decisions about purchasing the UDP.

[quote name='hpecorari']Very true. As a non-drinker I always choose my wine and ask for it not to be opened. At the end of the cruise I give all these bottles to 'special' crew.

Harriet[/quote]

Interesting that you say that you gave it to special crew. However my understanding verbally from a steward that they were no allowed to take gifts of any sort other than monies due to thief, items missing etc.
We too tried to give steward some wine.

[quote name='Ilovesailing']Interesting that you say that you gave it to special crew. However my understanding verbally from a steward that they were no allowed to take gifts of any sort other than monies due to thief, items missing etc.
We too tried to give steward some wine.[/quote]

Your steward was full of it. I have given wine to waiters, stewards etc many, many times.

[quote name='joanna0627']We were on the Breakaway during the Valentine Day dinner. When we got on the ship the first thing we did was make our reservation at Le Bistro for Valentine. At that time we were told it was $20.00 per person. I wasn't concerned because I'm a platimum and knew it was going to be free. 1 day before the dinner I get a message in my cabin that the price had changed to $49.00 and the menu was changed. Not happy about this I made a call and complained. Was told the next day that the originial price would remain the same. Upon arriving at Le Bistro I showed them my coupon and again, a problem. But in the end it was taken care of. My husband and I eat free and our friends paid $20.00. If we had known at the time of booking that they changed everything we would have not booked. It's worth $20. not $49.00.[/QUOTE]
Good to know nothing is ever set in stone...And they honored what they quoted for you, even though it appears not all were so lucky...

Was on the Breakaway in October and ate at LeBistro on the first sea day. Don't recall the per person cost, but can honestly say that the food was EXCELLENT!!! They did have a special for that night only -- bottle of red or white wine per couple.

We have enjoyed Le Bistro on several other NCL ships. Have never been disappointed with the food.

Would recommend this to anyone who would like to try one of the specialty restaurants. You will not be disappointed.

[quote name='david_sobe']EVERYONE: I know the NCL site says $20
I was asking if anyone sailed and experienced $30 like the other person. The OP stated if you pre-booked it was $20 but $30 on board. Maybe for Valentines week they increased the price. Or sometimes over and over we hear about things on ships and then the NCL site is the last to know. Happens all the time.[/quote]

It was still $20 on the Star for our Jan. 19-Feb. 16 cruise. It was one of the platinum choices and that is limited to restaurants $20pp and under.
We like Le Bistro...never choose anything with lamb or duck, though. The beef filet was excellent on the Star, better than the MDR one although the one in the MDR was the best we've had in a regular dining room. We got the scallop appetizer and it was excellent as well.

[quote name='Ilovesailing']Interesting that you say that you gave it to special crew. However my understanding verbally from a steward that they were no allowed to take gifts of any sort other than monies due to thief, items missing etc.
We too tried to give steward some wine.[/QUOTE]

Just another one of the many sob stories that the crew uses on the pax. They want cash and will say whatever it takes to get an extra cash tip from you.