Grand Suite and Balcony Cabin Query

Can anyone advise me please. My husband and I are sailing on the FOS next month with our two kids (8 and 6). We have a grand suite booked that interconnects with a standard balcony cabin. My DH and I will be in the GS and our kids in the smaller cabin next door but the travel agent has booked it as me and daughter in GS and my husband and son in the smaller cabin (as she thought 2 minors couldn't be in a

cabin on own but I have since read that if it is next door or interconnecting, as ours is, that they can). Will I be able to change this at embarkation as I am worried that only I will be able to get into the lounges and stuff that are only available to suites (and top level C&A which we are not) and my husband won't? Or will we just be able to tell the staff on board that he actually is in my GS????

TIA

Leanne

Can anyone advise me please. My husband and I are sailing on the FOS next month with our two kids (8 and 6). We have a grand suite booked that interconnects with a standard balcony cabin. My DH and I will be in the GS and our kids in the smaller cabin next door but the travel agent has booked it as me and daughter in GS and my husband and son in the smaller cabin (as she thought 2 minors couldn't be in a

cabin on own but I have since read that if it is next door or interconnecting' date=' as ours is, that they can). Will I be able to change this at embarkation as I am worried that only I will be able to get into the lounges and stuff that are only available to suites (and top level C&A which we are not) and my husband won't? Or will we just be able to tell the staff on board that he actually is in my GS????

TIA

Leanne[/quote']

You're right - I would have the TA change things now.

You will probably get many different answers but I was told by my agent at Royal that my 12 year old could not be "booked" in a balcony without an adult even if it was adjoining....I think once on board they never look at who is in what cabin.

Our travel agent does the same thing, make you book an adult in 1 cabin with a child. My understanding is its a little more work for the travel agent to to book adults in 1 & kids next door which is why they make you do it. Talk to them & see if you can get it changed now, if not you can get it done on-board.

On caveat - if your TA is giving you perks, they may only be available if you book the way they want you too, ie. one adult per cabin.

Our travel agent does the same thing, make you book an adult in 1 cabin with a child. My understanding is its a little more work for the travel agent to to book adults in 1 & kids next door which is why they make you do it. Talk to them & see if you can get it changed now, if not you can get it done on-board.

On caveat - if your TA is giving you perks, they may only be available if you book the way they want you too, ie. one adult per cabin.

It us definitely a TA thing and nothing to do with RCI. We book our kids in side by side rooms with no issues.

It seems that most missed your question. It's a good one. Since your DH is technically NOT in a GS, he won't be issued a Gold Card. You may want to call Royal Caribbean and ask about this. My wife and son "swapped rooms" on Freedom and they did print a new card. But the problem may be that they won't want your kids in a room without an adult. One option, this from my wife and a good one, just have your DH use your daughter's gold card to get in. Generally the Concierge simply looks at the card as you walk in and will get to know you by sight. The Concierge on Freedom over New Years was Raul. He is an exceptional individual. When we went in, we simply greeted him and made sure he saw our card. There was never any question, however I have had Concierge's ask for your name and check his list.

Interesting dilemma. Let us know how it turns out.

It seems that most missed your question. It's a good one. Since your DH is technically NOT in a GS, he won't be issued a Gold Card. You may want to call Royal Caribbean and ask about this. My wife and son "swapped rooms" on Freedom and they did print a new card. But the problem may be that they won't want your kids in a room without an adult. One option, this from my wife and a good one, just have your DH use your daughter's gold card to get in. Generally the Concierge simply looks at the card as you walk in and will get to know you by sight. The Concierge on Freedom over New Years was Raul. He is an exceptional individual. When we went in, we simply greeted him and made sure he saw our card. There was never any question, however I have had Concierge's ask for your name and check his list.

Interesting dilemma. Let us know how it turns out.

As long as the rooms are side by side or directly across the hall there are no issues with having the children booked into one of the cabins and the adults in the other. As others have mentioned, the only ones to have an issue with this are the TA's because in order for them to do thus they have to call RCI instead of doing it directly on the computer.

My recommendation if they are unable to change before you go then just go to the concierge the first evening and explain the situation. I have seen them print out the gold cards many a time for passengers. Your room key would get you in in the first place.

You will probably need to speak to the concierge anyway as if my memory serves me correct on FOS Suite guests do not need tickets for shows on board especially the ice show. I am sure I saw a couple with the same situation and they gave all the children the gold cards as well as they were all minors and it prevented issues for show seatings etc.

Hope this helps

Good luck!

Thanks papa flamingo for your help and to everyone else who replied. I think I will just to to the concierge and explain first day and see if they can print me a card for him. After alI i have booked a whole extra cabin rather than squeezing the 4 of us in to a GS which would have given us all cards.

I'm not worried about the kids being in their own cabin - they know they are forbidden from opening the balcony doors, plus we will keep the interconnecting doors open. We did this on HAL in summer 2012 and it worked perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks papa flamingo for your help and to everyone else who replied. I think I will just to to the concierge and explain first day and see if they can print me a card for him. After alI i have booked a whole extra cabin rather than squeezing the 4 of us in to a GS which would have given us all cards.

I'm not worried about the kids being in their own cabin - they know they are forbidden from opening the balcony doors' date=' plus we will keep the interconnecting doors open. We did this on HAL in summer 2012 and it worked perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app[/quote']

I would go ahead and Change it now. The Money you spent extra for an extra room has nothing to do with it. The Concierge might be accomodating when talking to him/her, but maybe not. Your husband might get away with using your daughters Card, but maybe not, as many Concierges will know their guests from the pics on their Computer.

While I don´t deny there is a Chance you will be fine, there is a Chance you won´t as well. The only way to guarantee it is to Change it now.

I have emailed the TA and will see what she says. If she can't / won't change we will either speak to concierge first day and explain or failing that he can use my daughters card. I'm sure we won't use the lounge that often if the kids can't come in.

Thanks all for advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You can definitely have your kids in the cabin next door even without an interconnecting door. You can also swap family members from one cabin to another once you are on board at either the concierge or guest services. Also, I can't see any reason why the concierge would not let your kids in the lounge especially because you are paying for 2 cabins. The concierge staff that I have met on board RCI ships always want to know the names of the people who come into the lounge and are so helpful. Make sure you make the most of what you have paid for and don't always believe what people say on here. I have seen people bring their friends into the lounge and if its not busy nobody cares.

We also asked for a second seapass/access key for the other cabin we had, so I had a seapass for my cabin and one for the kids and it had "extra key" printed on it, so I could easily get in from the hallway.

You can also ask for the glass divider on the balcony to be opened to make more room between the 2 cabins.