RCCL shareholder benefit

sunchaser52

• 5 months later...

In post 16 I stated that I expected to be denied the shareholder benefit on my upcoming Azamara cruise as I have been denied on all of my Celebrity cruises. I was wrong. Even though I received cruise line OBC for an Azamara cancelled cruise and OBC for booking early, I received notification that they accepted my request for the shareholder benefit and will be crediting it to my account when we sail.

Yay! (y) I just wanted to set the record straight with the updated information.

It was so frustrating getting denied all the time [by Celebrity], that I took my nice capital gains and donated the stock to my church for a double tax benefit. I kept my Carnival stock, because I have always been able to get the benefit on Princess.

The RCCL Shareholder benefit is frustrating as can be. But it has been good for business over at Holland America, as it has meant we sail with them more because they honour the Shareholders benefit with no question.

Back in December, I sent a specific question to shareholderbenefit at rccl.com asking:

"Can you please clarify for me, as RCLshareholders, if we book the Azamara Quest for the Feb 8 and Feb 20/18 sailings, are we eligible for all of:

Back2Back OBC ($400/cabin/sailing).

Land Discoveries OBC($1000/cabin/sailing if booked more than 12 months in advance), and

Shareholder benefits ($200+$250)?"

I received a non-answer boiler-plate response that said in part:

"Please visit our investor website (www.rclinvestor.com) for furtherimportant details, terms, and restrictions."

If the website offered any clarity I would not have needed to send the e-mail in the first place!

I still have no idea what the answer is, but we have booked the Azamara cruises.

This treatment is costing RCCL money in lost cruise bookings!

John :mad:

The RCCL Shareholder benefit is frustrating as can be. But it has been good for business over at Holland America, as it has meant we sail with them more because they honour the Shareholders benefit with no question.

Back in December, I sent a specific question to shareholderbenefit at rccl.com asking:

"Can you please clarify for me, as RCLshareholders, if we book the Azamara Quest for the Feb 8 and Feb 20/18 sailings, are we eligible for all of:

Back2Back OBC ($400/cabin/sailing).

Land Discoveries OBC($1000/cabin/sailing if booked more than 12 months in advance), and

Shareholder benefits ($200+$250)?"

I received a non-answer boiler-plate response that said in part:

"Please visit our investor website (www.rclinvestor.com) for furtherimportant details, terms, and restrictions."

If the website offered any clarity I would not have needed to send the e-mail in the first place!

I still have no idea what the answer is, but we have booked the Azamara cruises.

This treatment is costing RCCL money in lost cruise bookings!

John :mad:

Hi John,

From the RCL Investor website (I've underlined the part that interests you):

[shareholder] Benefit is not combinable with other onboard credit offers, general loyalty offers, “dollars off/wave” promotions, savings certificates, onboard chartered sailings, certain group sailings, certain price programs or bookings made at a reduced rate or travel agent rate.

Hi John,

[shareholder] Benefit is not combinable with other onboard credit offers, general loyalty offers, “dollars off/wave” promotions, savings certificates, onboard chartered sailings, certain group sailings, certain price programs or bookings made at a reduced rate or travel agent rate.

Basically....the benefit doesn't exist anymore...you cannot combine it with ANYTHING....They real shouldn't refer to it as a benefit any longer

Hi John,

Bonnie:

Thank you for attempting to answer my question. It is unfortunate that RCCL often leaves you to take the brunt of the frustrations from those of us who cruise the most. I do appreciate reading your inputs on this site.

It appears that riandei is correct that there is really no shareholder benefit to be had from RCCL.

It looks like the greatest benefit that can be had is to sell the shares. Some of those proceeds will undoubtedly end up with the competition.

John

• 6 months later...

Let’s bump this thread to the top of the list again so it can get some attention. I have now been denied the shareholder benefit for two successsive sailings I have booked on Azamara in early 2018, with the following explanation:

“Thank you for your email. As a valued shareholder, you are very important to us. The requested shareholder benefit onboard credit cannot be applied to your reservation as it is confirmed with a Closed Users price code that is not combinable with the Shareholder Benefit program.”

Could somebody please explain to me what a “Closed Users price code” is? Like many of you, I have become increasingly frustrated that my attempts to secure this benefit have failed more often than not, and on the rare occasion when they are granted, I have no idea why.

Much to my surprise and delight, RCL has extended the benefit to our upcoming B2B. I fully expected to get a denial.

I guess I will have to hold on to the shares for a while longer!

Carnival Corp (HAL, etc) is much more liberal in what they will allow, and encourage the stacking of OBCs. That and the longer cruise durations that HAL offers has lead us to book more with them.

John

In the thread to the CEO earlier this month questions were asked about the benefit and it was clear its an RCCL thing over which Azamara has no input. The biggest joke is anyone who uses an LCV loyalty discount or books onboard is automatically knocked out of the shareholder benefit.

You would have through shareholders who were repeat bookers onboard or who were LCV members at some of the higher levels are exactly the people they should be recognising. Sadly not so

The bottom line is that denying shareholder benefits do not prevent customers from booking. Thus more $$$ flow to the corporate bottom line. When the denial has an effect, they may consider changing their attitude. Until then, just enjoy your cruise.

Oh we will, I don't even think about the benefit these days I just take the dividends

I, too, get frustrated when I can't continue to get perks that I've received in the past. I have to remind myself that no company is obligated to give them to me. It's good business to reward loyalty, but only if it pays off. To RCL, perks are just an investment. They expect a return on it and will continue it only as long as it does that. In that regard, they are just like me (us). If we don't get an acceptable return on our travel dollar with one company, we'll spend them somewhere else.

I will invest in my cruising pleasure with the company that gives me the best total bang for my dollar. In today's market, Azamara does that only when they have significant offers. The current trial that would possibly eliminate the LCV discount would mean that the only way I would sail with them would be a BOGOHO sale. The trial offer holds no appeal to me as any OBC at all has very value to me. Even if it were unrestricted it just doesn't offer much benefit. The spa and shops don't tempt me at all and the included alcohol is sufficient. The Land Excursions is a poor operation, overpriced and frequently poor even if I paid with someone els'e money. Since we book CC suites, we get the specialty restaurants and enough internet (don't get me started on the pitiful internet benefit from LCV). Where would I spend OBC?

When I look forward in adding new cruises to the three certain and two probable Azamara cruises we have booked through 2019, I see us moving back to Celebrity or even to Regent as our friends who have 3 cruises on Azamara with us prefer it and insist that we'll love it just as much as we love Azamara. It's harder and harder to tell them we aren't interested.

Buying the stock (back in early 2004) was, percentage-wise, the best investment I've ever made. I paid $30 USd per share for 100 shares. With fees, that made my cost about $3,050. Over the years, I've gotten $3,600 in OBC (otherwise known as tax-free dividends) plus the dividends that have been paid most years. I haven't tacked those closely, over time but was $204 this year.

Current price is $125. The last cruise I was able to use the benefit was in March, 2014. I keep trying to sell it but my broker says it still has growth potential. It is also the only cruiseline stock on their Buy list. Since my investment in this is either $3,050 or nothing, that's a great return so I continue to hold it.

I sent in my request for shareholder credit on 10/7 and got an auto-reply that day, but haven't heard anything since. How long should I wait before trying again?

I usually hear back within a week or two. For a cruise in February, I was turned down. I've been able to use it about 6 times out of 9.