Is Regent Seven Seas Cruises really better than NCL?

sverigecruiser

Last week I got a very nice DVD from Regent Seven Seas Cruises. It was interesting to get a tour of one of their ships and it looked very nice but do I really think that they are better than NCL? No I don't.

Any opinions, is Regent Seven Seas Cruises better than NCL?

Some things they mentioned on the DVD:

All cabins are suites with a diningtable. I can get a suite with a diningtable on NCL too.

All cabins have a balcony. I can get a balcony on NCL too.

All excursions are included in the price for the cruise. Is that good or bad? Sometimes we prefer to stay on the ship and sometimes we just want to walk around in the area close to the ship. If all excursions are included in the price for the cruise, everyone pay for them even if they don't take an excursion.

All drinks are included. That may be a good thing and we can handle that but some people can't!

The ships are small so it doesn't feel crowded. On NCL it's possible to book a Havensuite and stay in the Haven the whole cruise if someone wants that.

Since the ships are small it's possible to get to ports the bigger ships can't get to. I agree with that!

Is a Rolls Royce better than a Ford?

It depends what you require for you cruise experience. The luxuary cruise lines have smaller ships, with less passengers (more space per passenger) and higher quality food and service.

For example, the Queen Mary 2 is about the same size as Epic. It can cost more to cruise onboard QM2 (although not always!) Why? QM2 often carries 1,500 passengers LESS than Epic!

On a quick search Western Caribbean vs Western Caribbean 7 day.

Navigator vs Pearl

The cheapest "suite" on RSSC is bigger than a mini-suite and smaller than the penthouse on NCL. The "diningroom table" in the photos on the RSSC site, looks smaller than the corner moveable table on the pearl.

The price difference is comparing it the penthouse on the Pearl which is larger with a lot more amenities is 1/2 the cost on RSSC. So if you add all the extras that you get on RSSC to what you can add ala cart on NCL. It would probably for the most part work out cheaper for NCL in the long run.

You would actually have to add your extras for NCL to be more comparing apples to apples, to see which one is more cost effective.

Edited by che5904

My husband and I have been on both.

Regent is extremely more expensive, and more upscale. Dressing for dinner is expected. There was less than 500 people on board,yet the ship was still a pretty nice size making you feel like you are alone almost anywhere you go.

The clientele tends to be older, we were in our 40's when we went, the rest of ship were mostly 60 or older. I do not recommend this ship for children. Not much for them to do.

At nights the clubs were practically empty. The ship is very pretty, lots of wood and glass. But the schedule of events during the day is very limited.

Dinner was anytime between 530 -9, allowing for you to arrive when you felt like it. The dining room was big enough to fit everyone at the same time.

Yes, the drinks are all inclusive, so no surprises at the end of the trip as to extra expenses. Yet, my husband drinks, and I do not , so it was a waste of money for me. There is no option not to take the all inclusive.

For the price tag of a lower end room on Regent, can get you the Haven experience on NCL, in a suite.

We recently decided to give NCL a look see, and traveled on the Breakaway, on a CTN and stayed in the Haven. We were extremely concerned as to the amount of people traveling on this ship. We have never been on anything past 2000 people. But we figured on a CTN it was just a short trip so lets see what the ship has to offer. The ship is amazing, so much to it, yet I will be honest and say if not for the Haven, we probably would not book it for a longer trip.

Watching people stand in lines for quite while to use some of the facilities, due to the crowds, is not my idea of a stress free vacation.

The Haven experience was unforgettable. Everything was right outside our cabin, and if we so desired, we never had to leave the area. The best part for us, was when we wanted to leave the crowds, we just went back for a rest, and could feel our blood pressure drop as we put in the Haven only access key card. Even here though, somewhere up to 400 passengers still have access to the Haven, yet with all the amenities and larger pools on the outside decks, it never seemed to be crowded.

We loved the experience so much that we booked the Breakaway next January for a 12 night cruise in the Haven.

So my suggestion is if you are looking for a more upscale vacation, that is quiet and more reserved, Regent is definitely more for you.

If you want all the bells and whistles on a ship, and still have the upscale experience when you want, and still stay casual, then the NCL Haven is definitely the way to go in my opinion. :)

If you want all the bells and whistles on a ship, and still have the upscale experience when you want, and still stay casual, then the NCL Haven is definitely the way to go in my opinion. :)

That's what we want and the reason why I don't think that Regent Seven Seas Cruises is better than NCL. We can get the best from both worlds on NCL.

More people and action when we want that and a quiet upscale experience when we want that.

Last week I got a very nice DVD from Regent Seven Seas Cruises. It was interesting to get a tour of one of their ships and it looked very nice but do I really think that they are better than NCL? No I don't.

All cabins are suites with a diningtable. I can get a suite with a diningtable on NCL too.

All excursions are included in the price for the cruise. Is that good or bad? Sometimes we prefer to stay on the ship and sometimes we just want to walk around in the area close to the ship. If all excursions are included in the price for the cruise, everyone pay for them even if they don't take an excursion.

All drinks are included. That may be a good thing and we can handle that but some people can't!

The ships are small so it doesn't feel crowded. On NCL it's possible to book a Havensuite and stay in the Haven the whole cruise if someone wants that.

Since the ships are small it's possible to get to ports the bigger ships can't get to. I agree with that!

Is Ruth Chris better than Outback? Do you want to spend $100 per person a day on cruise rate or closer to $300? Do you like a lot of entertainment or do you just want to relax when not in port? So you want to dress up for dinner every night or relax being on vacation? These are questions one has to ask. I really think you know the answer. You can't compare apples and oranges.

Edited by newmexicoNita

Does the DVD really say it's "BETTER" than NCL? How can anyone say that - "better" is up to you. Regent is a totally different experience, much more upscale all around.

COACHJMM: You may change your mind about the Haven on the longer cruise. Like you said about 400 ppl in the haven. It will be a different experience on a fully booked cruise down to the Caribbean.

Personally at this point in my life I chose not to cruise on a line like Regent, rather save money for retirement and cruise more often. But I am positive I would enjoy the experience of less people and more staff to cater to me. ;) I have never had a problem on any cruise with service.

Is Ruth Chris better than Outback? Do you want to spend $100 per person a day on cruise rate or closer to $300? Do you like a lot of entertainment or do you just want to relax when not in port? So you want to dress up for dinner every night or relax being on vacation? These are questions one has to ask. I really think you know the answer. You can't compare apples and oranges.

I know my answer to my question but asked for other persons opinions.

On NCL I can get entertainment if I want and I can also just relax.

On NCL I can dress up if I want to but I don't have to. Since I should prefer if the cruise was more formal that's really a thing I prefer with Regent Seven Seas Cruises but compared to other things on a cruise, the formal thing is not a big deal.

As for the price for the cruise I really can't get close to $100, or even $300, for a suite on NCL. I really wish that I could and if I could, the choice to choose NCL should be even easier.

Does the DVD really say it's "BETTER" than NCL? How can anyone say that - "better" is up to you. Regent is a totally different experience, much more upscale all around.

The DVD doesn't say that it's better but isn't Regent Seven Seas Cruises normally called a luxury cruise line? The question then is what does "luxury" mean? I don't have an answer to that but for me the best experience is the most luxurious. For someone who loves to backpack a month in Thailand might be a more luxurious experience than a night at Burj Al Arab. People prefer different things and I just asked for others opinions, not an "correct" answer.

COACHJMM: You may change your mind about the Haven on the longer cruise. Like you said about 400 ppl in the haven. It will be a different experience on a fully booked cruise down to the Caribbean.

I'm no expert but longer cruises normally mean less children so it will probably not be 400 ppl in the Haven. The pool is also very small in the Haven so lots of children probably prefer the main pool.

The Haven experience was unforgettable. Everything was right outside our cabin, and if we so desired, we never had to leave the area. The best part for us, was when we wanted to leave the crowds, we just went back for a rest, and could feel our blood pressure drop as we put in the Haven only access key card. Even here though, somewhere up to 400 passengers still have access to the Haven, yet with all the amenities and larger pools on the outside decks, it never seemed to be crowded.

We loved the experience so much that we booked the Breakaway next January for a 12 night cruise in the Haven.

So my suggestion is if you are looking for a more upscale vacation, that is quiet and more reserved, Regent is definitely more for you.

I think you will find a totally different vibe on the 12 day cruise overall on the ship. The CTN crowds will not be evident at all and you will most likely find that you won't have to pre-book any specialty restaurant. I hope you have a wonderful time!

I'm no expert but longer cruises normally mean less children so it will probably not be 400 ppl in the Haven. The pool is also very small in the Haven so lots of children probably prefer the main pool.

Every client that I have booked in the Haven on the BA have complained about the area being too small on week long cruises. There are always folks who dominate the area.

Every client that I have booked in the Haven on the BA have complained about the area being too small on week long cruises. There are always folks who dominate the area.

Maybe the area is too small on week long cruises but 12 nights is not a week so the Haven will probably not be as crowded as on a week long cruise.

I know that the Haven on the Epic is much bigger than on the Breakaway so it's not really correct to compare them but on our Epiccruises, once during Easter, the Haven has been very relaxing and not crowded.

[/b]

My wife & I have cruised both lines. We've done Regent twice for special occasion cruises (anniversarys), once to Alaska and once on a western Carib'n itinerary. We've cruised NCL four times (maybe 5). Opinions may vary, and it's all subjective, but there really isn't a comparison in overall quality - - you pay more (a lot more these days; when we went the fares were more reasonable) for Regent, and you get (a lot) more. It really is a different experience.

It's easy to say things like "the Regent cabins are bigger, and nicer; the food and drink is truly excellent, even in the buffets; the service is unobtrusive but ever-ready; having everything paid for beforehand makes a huge difference in the experience, from not having to bother signing chits, to almost zero loudspeaker announcements, etc". The shore excursions were uncrowded and adventurous (if you chose). You had a feeling of space and privacy, whenever you wanted. The outdoor/pool chairs and loungers tended to be cushioned solid teak, and there was never a problem finding one. I don't recall ever waiting to be seated in a dining room, a lounge, a show, or an elevator.

Maybe a few small memories I have from the Regent cruises might help sum up the difference:

(1) On one cruise I "discovered" a new Scotch that I enjoyed (I'm not a scotch drinker normally; but having an "all included"

drink program that covered everything except the true super-premium liquors and top-end wines allowed me to explore). They didn't carry that particular label in the ship's store, so on the last day I asked the bartender if it would be possible to purchase a bottle to take home from the bar. He said they weren't allowed to sell from the bar, and I accepted that. But in my room on that last evening was a bottle of said scotch with the Captain's compliments - - no charge. When I priced it back home it was a $100 bottle of scotch.

(2) On the western Carib'n cruise, we had taken a shore excursion that went far into the jungle to see some relatively undisturbed Mayan ruins. I accidentally left my prescription sunglasses at the site, and didn' realize it until I got back to the ship. It was late in the day, so no hope of going back. I happened to mention it to one of the crew on my arrival back at the ship (who had asked if we enjoyed the excursion, which we did), but didn't even bother to ask if it might be possible to retrieve them. I had mentally written them off. A few hours later, after we had departed, my glasses were back in my cabin. I asked about how they had found them, and learned that the crew member I spoke with had let the shore excursion manager know about my loss; she had radioed someone at the remote site to search for and recover my glasses, who was able to give them to the very last driver leaving the site that day, who got them to the ship on time. All this was done without me even asking.

(3) On one of the cruises my wife and I struck up a conversation with one of the bar servers in one of the lounges, who served us several rounds of drinks. I had the same one each time. The following day we went to the theater for the evening show. We sat in the balcony section, and while waiting for the show to begin I happened to see the same bar server working the main floor section of the theater. She happened to look in our direction and I caught her eye. My wife & I smiled and briefly waved at her, and shortly thereafter the show began. Within a matter of minutes she was at my side with the same drink I had been drinking the day before, asking if I wanted one tonight with the show. Amazing.

But the cruises were filled with such little extras and attentive service touches, and those collectively added up to a feeling of: "Ahhhh...so this is what cruising is really all about".

Just my opinions, but there ya go!

(1) On one cruise I "discovered" a new Scotch that I enjoyed (I'm not a scotch drinker normally; but having an "all included"

drink program that covered everything except the true super-premium liquors and top-end wines allowed me to explore). They didn't carry that particular label in the ship's store, so on the last day I asked the bartender if it would be possible to purchase a bottle to take home from the bar. He said they weren't allowed to sell from the bar, and I accepted that. But in my room on that last evening was a bottle of said scotch with the Captain's compliments - - no charge. When I priced it back home it was a $100 bottle of scotch.

(2) On the western Carib'n cruise, we had taken a shore excursion that went far into the jungle to see some relatively undisturbed Mayan ruins. I accidentally left my prescription sunglasses at the site, and didn' realize it until I got back to the ship. It was late in the day, so no hope of going back. I happened to mention it to one of the crew on my arrival back at the ship (who had asked if we enjoyed the excursion, which we did), but didn't even bother to ask if it might be possible to retrieve them. I had mentally written them off. A few hours later, after we had departed, my glasses were back in my cabin. I asked about how they had found them, and learned that the crew member I spoke with had let the shore excursion manager know about my loss; she had radioed someone at the remote site to search for and recover my glasses, who was able to give them to the very last driver leaving the site that day, who got them to the ship on time. All this was done without me even asking.

(3) On one of the cruises my wife and I struck up a conversation with one of the bar servers in one of the lounges, who served us several rounds of drinks. I had the same one each time. The following day we went to the theater for the evening show. We sat in the balcony section, and while waiting for the show to begin I happened to see the same bar server working the main floor section of the theater. She happened to look in our direction and I caught her eye. My wife & I smiled and briefly waved at her, and shortly thereafter the show began. Within a matter of minutes she was at my side with the same drink I had been drinking the day before, asking if I wanted one tonight with the show. Amazing.

But the cruises were filled with such little extras and attentive service touches, and those collectively added up to a feeling of: "Ahhhh...so this is what cruising is really all about".

Just my opinions, but there ya go!

Number one and two are amazing things. We have been given complimentary drinks and wine both from barstaff recognizing us from previously cruises and from the captain after talking to him earlier during the cruise but of course it's a different thing to be given an expensive bottle as a gift.

Number three is more common and that can defenitely happen on NCL too but of course it's different because on NCL they normally want money for the drinks!

Thanks for your post!

Originally posted by MBMGWM:

Response Posted by sverigecruiser:

Number three is more common and that can defenitely happen on NCL too but of course it's different because on NCL they normally want money for the drinks!

If you're just talking about the fact that some cruseship bartenders and waitstaff seem to possess almost superhuman memories, then I agree it could happen on NCL as well as Regent and other lines. But again, it's the actual experience that defines the difference. On NCL (and most other lines) if the server had recognized me, and actually made her way up into the balcony section from the main floor, she would have had to: (1) interrupt my enjoyment of the show to ask me if I wanted to order my drink; and (2) interrupt the show again to bring me the drink and have me sign the receipt. On the Regent the server remembered who I was and my fave drink from the previous day; took the initiative on her own to go to the nearest bar and get my drink; and brought it to me and presented it in such a way that I was free to accept or reject the drink as I wished, all without any interruption to the show except for me to smile and accept the drink. In the former case it's a (minor) annoyance to both me and those seated around me at the show to go thru the drink-ordering and delivery/signing process; in the latter it was a subtly done service that left me with a smile and a small, but lasting, warm memory.

It was just one moment, but our Regent cruises were filled with such moments.

You're comparing apples to asparagus.

Regents current pricing is a joke. But they're a different product in a far different price tier. IMO in the tier they claim to be in they're bottom of the barrel. Crystal, Seabourn and Silversea all offer better service, better food and better bang for the buck.

You're comparing a max passenger load of what 750 to a ship of over 3k? All balconies versus interior on up? A room 2-3x as large. Included top shelf alcohol hard liquor (wine and beer are also included but imo nothing special) no fee for specialty dining and then the shore excurions (imo scheme on Regent). A higher staff:passenger ratio as well as a higher passenger:space ratio.

I'm not a fan of Regent but I wouldn't really think to compare them to NCL.

Regents current pricing is a joke. But they're a different product in a far different price tier. IMO in the tier they claim to be in they're bottom of the barrel. Crystal, Seabourn and Silversea all offer better service, better food and better bang for the buck.

You're comparing a max passenger load of what 750 to a ship of over 3k? All balconies versus interior on up? A room 2-3x as large. Included top shelf alcohol hard liquor (wine and beer are also included but imo nothing special) no fee for specialty dining and then the shore excurions (imo scheme on Regent). A higher staff:passenger ratio as well as a higher passenger:space ratio.

Is Regent's pricing also lower or about the same as Crystal, Seabourn and Silversea?

I'm comparing and ask about others opinions. I got your opinion, thanks.

Why can't I compare a 750 passenger ship to a 3000 + passenger ship? A smaller ship doesn't necessary mean that it's better.

As for the pricing I don't really agree with thoose that say that RSSC cost much more than NCL. If I look at the prices for the cheapest cabins on RSSC and compare then to the suites on NCL, RSSC aren't that more expensive! Maybe they cost a little more but the difference isn't very big.

• 3 years later...

I think Regent is better. It depends on what you want from a cruise. I’ve done 15 NCL Cruises and 2 on Regent. We look our daughter ( in her 20’s) on the RSSC Explorer last Christmas and she says she can’t wait until she can afford to sail Regent. She found lots to do, we had dancers join us for dinner. If she were choosing a line with lots to do she would choose Royal Caribbean. To be fair we haven’t tried the Haven, but have a bid in for a Haven cabin in Feb. We have a World Cruise booked on Regent for next Jan. I like Regent because there are no hassles. I don’t have to worry about tips, drinks, excursions. If you lead a busy lifestyle it’s great to have everything done for you on vacation.