'Messy' Online TA Reservation=Headache

keishashadow

I was getting ready to book our first sailing on Celebrity direct for the 123 sale. Then received an email from one of the big online TAs that advertises on this website which referenced big OBCs, prepaid gratuities and a really low cabin rate.

I have booked with this company before and received decent incentives but wasn't thrilled with the cancellation policy of $100 pp and decided I wouldn't use them again unless the savings were substantial.

That said, the frugal me was intrigued by the savings of almost $850 for 2 pp in a balcony (not including the value of the 123 promo). Was told the cabin was initially waitlisted for the sale amount since only a few were still showing in their inventory at that rate but 'not to worry'. gulp

The same day I booked, I received my cruise contract via email, it indicated we were still waitlisted, but that I would receive my booking number within 48 hours. I called back and was told to monitor my CC and when I saw the pending charge change to an actual posted charge, I would know that we had secured the rate and cabin:confused:um ok.

Today, the CC charge did officially post - yea! Since 48 hours had now passed, I called back and asked for my booking number. Was told they were 'really backed up' and I likely wouldn't receive said number via email until the end of next week at the earliest. When I asked how would I know I have a reservation, was told if my CC was charged, I have the reservation and again, not to worry.:rolleyes:

It's going to be a long week, and yes, I realize customer service will suffer when it comes to a volume operation, but still find this transaction troublesome. Perhaps it's the standard way the big boys do business but just wondering if anybody else has had this scenario happen to them?

Never had this happen before, but to a certain degree, you are somewhat protected in that if you don't get a reservation number, you can always dispute the charge on your CC.

Maybe you could give them some time (maybe until Friday) as they may be sitting on hold with everyone else!

Who charged your credit card, the TA or Celebrity. I would think if it is celebrity, you have a valid booking, if it is your TA, you may have a problem.

I made a print out of account activity

Description: Celebrity Cruises

Transaction Date: 02/24/2014

Post Date: 02/25/2014

CarolSS - you may have a point there. One of the lesser reasons I booked with the TA is I had given up after a 20 minute hold with Celebrity trying to book on Sunday.

I need to buy TI to cover pre-existing conditions, probably a good idea to wait until last minute (14 days from booking date) just to make sure.

I know the TA you are referring to and I have had to wait up to a week occasionally to receive my booking # with them despite the charge going through my CC quickly. I wouldn't worry about; I'm sure you'll be okay.

Thank you for this information.:)

I always get emails from a TA that promises a lot of perks to the first 200, 300, or 500 that book. Problem is how do you know if you are in that group. The biggest drawback to me with booking with them is the $50 pp that they charge if you cancel or change a reservation. I may change several times before I cruise because of a lower price, upgrading, or to get a promo. So that $50 can add up.

🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅🍸🍻

I always get emails from a TA that promises a lot of perks to the first 200, 300, or 500 that book. Problem is how do you know if you are in that group. The biggest drawback to me with booking with them is the $50 pp that they charge if you cancel or change a reservation. I may change several times before I cruise because of a lower price, upgrading, or to get a promo. So that $50 can add up.

a bright point - the reservationist said we 'made the cut', then got an separate email to confirm the extra $100.

I admit two things: I have no idea how Celebrity structures their sales & I tend to change my mind often as to travel plans but am loving this itinerary!

We usually book direct afts on othe lines, but the pricing was out of our league. I was surprised that a 'sweet 16' was available for the sailing. 'Was' being operative term, they're mostly spoken for now...another reason I hope my booking is valid.

Edited by keishashadow

I've used them before for two cruises and have two more booked through them. One of them was booked during their Thanksgiving sale and it took at least a week to get the Celebrity invoice from them because of the volume, but yes I did finally receive it and I've had no major problems with them.

FYI, one of the perks of that booking was a classic drink pkg and I wanted to upgrade to the premium pkg several weeks ago. I called Celebrity to upgrade and they told me it didn't show in their system that I had the drink pkg. I called the TA who told me it's a group booking and Celebrity is so backed up it probably won't show in the Celebrity system until final payment. I then called Captains Club, who spent a great deal of time speaking to my TA, Celebrity group sales, etc. and she confirmed what the TA said.

Just wanted to tell you that the TA does gives great deals, but I have found that I need to keep all receipts and stay on top of things. Probably need to do that in all cases anyway!

whataboutport - we're sailing 1/3 out of SJU:) Confused, are you saying the charge on your CC account is listed as the TA vs Celebrity?

gdpups - Yes, I plan on keeping copies of everything jik. When I used the TA on RCCL sailing, the specialty dining credit wasn't showing up when we embarked. I called the office and it was fixed before we sailed. Likely the great rate for our sailing represents a group rate, I never thought to ask duh lol

One thing I did find odd was that even though gratuities are 'free'/prepaid we couldn't book the anytime dining unless we paid them ourselves, then would need to request a refund from the TA after we got home.

Edited by keishashadow

One thing I did find odd was that even though gratuities are 'free'/prepaid we couldn't book the anytime dining unless we paid them ourselves, then would need to request a refund from the TA after we got home.

I have found with this agency that although they say prepaid grats or free specialty or whatever it is, it always is just in the form of an OBC to basically do what you want with.

What is it lately with online TA's? We recently booked a November, 2014 cruise on Reflection through an online TA that offered onboard credit, money back after our cruise and the 123 beverage package. I asked the booking agent a lot of questions, and she couldn't answer many of them and kept putting me on hold while she asked someone. I booked, and when we received our cruise invoice and documents, it didn't list specifically what OBC, etc. we were receiving. When I contacted the booking agent, she said we were receiving the promotions, but it was just not showing on my documents. Weird! We have booked with online TA's every time and always had everything spelled out specifically in our documents. I asked her to send me an email showing exactly which promotions we would be receiving. She said she would have to check with her supervisor, so she put me on hold for a long time. She finally agreed to send the email, and when I received her email, she didn't include all the promotions she quoted. She was repeatedly difficult to reach, and I was out of patience. So I cancelled the booking, and they charged me $125! I was upset. I called to book the cruise through a different online TA and had a similar problem! I did, however, finally find someone there who wanted to provide decent customer service. I'm beginning to think I should find a local TA for next time.

What is it lately with online TA's? We recently booked a November, 2014 cruise on Reflection through an online TA that offered onboard credit, money back after our cruise and the 123 beverage package. I asked the booking agent a lot of questions, and she couldn't answer many of them and kept putting me on hold while she asked someone. I booked, and when we received our cruise invoice and documents, it didn't list specifically what OBC, etc. we were receiving. When I contacted the booking agent, she said we were receiving the promotions, but it was just not showing on my documents. Weird! We have booked with online TA's every time and always had everything spelled out specifically in our documents. I asked her to send me an email showing exactly which promotions we would be receiving. She said she would have to check with her supervisor, so she put me on hold for a long time. She finally agreed to send the email, and when I received her email, she didn't include all the promotions she quoted. She was repeatedly difficult to reach, and I was out of patience. So I cancelled the booking, and they charged me $125! I was upset. I called to book the cruise through a different online TA and had a similar problem! I did, however, finally find someone there who wanted to provide decent customer service. I'm beginning to think I should find a local TA for next time.

I think you are answering your own questions. It really is hard to expect full service when they give you the moon. These people you are dealing with usually aren't Travel Agents, they're customer service agents, working in a call center.

I have found with this agency that although they say prepaid grats or free specialty or whatever it is, it always is just in the form of an OBC to basically do what you want with.

Didn't realize, makes sense, thank you.

The term 'reimburse' gratutites used by the customer service agent threw me. If I do decide to prepay our gratuities in order to book the anytime dining, will first pin down the TA as to whether we would then receive a refund after the cruise or if the pre-paid gratuities would be in the form of OBC. Not sure we could even use it all with the 123 promo unless I book ship excursions.

Didn't realize, makes sense, thank you.

The term 'reimburse' gratutites used by the customer service agent threw me. If I do decide to prepay our gratuities in order to book the anytime dining, will first pin down the TA as to whether we would then receive a refund after the cruise or if the pre-paid gratuities would be in the form of OBC. Not sure we could even use it all with the 123 promo unless I book ship excursions.

I was just thinking about it and on our last cruise I think it was actually directly applied to the gratuities because we never saw it itemized on our onboard billing. But on other cruises it has showed up just as an OBC. :confused:

Ive used this agent twice in the last few months due to great incentives and low price.

On both occassions I was told the booking was waitlisted but received an email the same day from the agent confirming a firm reservation though the actual reservation number took about a week to come on both occassions. As soon as I added each reservation to my X account online, both were showing as on hold and would be cancelled within 24hrs. Concerned I emailed the agent and she fixed it within the hour.

Not the smoothest of bookings on both occassions but the price and deal couldnt be bettered at all. I would not choose them again unless they had a similar great deal.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I know who you are talking about and have used them for six cruises now. Normally the wait is not that long and they are much more on top of things, however our agent said they are really struggling with the demand between their own sales and the 123Go promo ending. I've had to wait for everything lately. We just booked two cruises and while it took way to long everything came back ok and they took care of it all so I wouldn't worry too much.

Ive used this agent twice in the last few months due to great incentives and low price.

On both occassions I was told the booking was waitlisted but received an email the same day from the agent confirming a firm reservation though the actual reservation number took about a week to come on both occassions. As soon as I added each reservation to my X account online, both were showing as on hold and would be cancelled within 24hrs. Concerned I emailed the agent and she fixed it within the hour.

Not the smoothest of bookings on both occassions but the price and deal couldnt be bettered at all. I would not choose them again unless they had a similar great deal.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

received email confirmation with res# this morning. Set up a Celebrity account and saw same hold issue. emailed TA and was told "it takes about 24 hours for the “hold to clear”. Its just being pulled into the group department environment."

Edited by keishashadow

I know the TA you are referring to and I have had to wait up to a week occasionally to receive my booking # with them despite the charge going through my CC quickly. I wouldn't worry about; I'm sure you'll be okay.

If it's the large company I think it is, we booked with them for the first time last year. There was a wait to receive the booking number also, which I didn't like, but everything did go smoothly. We also didn't have confirmation of our OBC in writing until we got on the ship. The agent told us there it would be on our account when we got on the ship, and there was a card on our desk stating the OBC amount.

They have such great deals, but I hate their cancellation policy and the agent we dealt with wasn't too knowledgable about the cruise, telling me several things that I was sure weren't right; mainly that we needed yellow fever shots (we didn't) and that we'd have to pay a fee to fly out of Santiago (again, we didn't). I used these boards to confirm what I believed was right in those circumstances.

When there was a price drop, though, even after final payment, they were very responsive and though we didn't get the price drop, they did get Princess to offer us a better cabin category. We liked the location of our original cabin better, so we didn't change, but at least they tried, and didn't charge anything extra.