MDR Pranks!

Stateroom_Sailor

Last week we had a really great mixture of people for anytime dining, which we turned into timed dining together. About halfway through the cruise, our wait staffed joined the chemistry with their own practical jokes. We got birthday cakes, even though it was no one's birthday. My wife and I were given a plate of yogurt, an inside joke. They started over brewing, and mixing sugar, then lemon, then Coke into our tea. On the final night we were given peanut butter sandwiches, now that's fine dining!

Anyone else ever had too much fun in the MDR?

IMG_00000129.jpg.5903a5d53ed053c16685f26bc875a318.jpg

Some people have no sense of humour.

We ended up with kind of a running joke with our waiter. On the first night I was having trouble deciding between 2appetizers. Our server suggested I get both, and I laughingly accused him of trying to make me gain weight. The next night he brought an extra appetizer (that we didn't order). The next night it was 2extra appetizers. The next night it was an exta entree. Then an extra dessert. Then 2. On the last night he set out every dessert on the menu!!!

And the truly shameful (but funny) part? He never said a word when doing this. And we ate it all- except for the last night. As he set out the desserts he said "since you haven't gained any of that weight..."

I do not think I would find it funny.

You won't get anything like that unless you instigate it anyway so don't worry about it.

We've pulled some silly stunts on our serving team a few times. Always after making sure we had a team with a good sense of humor. Usually just little things, but we got Lenuta on Vision bad a few times last year.

Some of the jokes we did included all of us staring at her at once from across the room, then going back to our food like nothing happened when she noticed; totally switching up our seating after a few nights; and lastly making faces at her while they were doing the song routine and nearly making her crack up in the middle of it.

Silly? Absolutely. Did she roll with it? Like a champ. Needless to say, she got more than one WoW card from our table. :)

Heck yes. Some of the wait staff are a hoot and love it when they can interact. We love it when we get crew like that. We have even had the MD get involved when there is a lot of fun.

Edited by setsail

Love having a good time with the waitstaff. On our summer sailing on Freedom, our daughter always wanted a baked potato with sour cream. One scoop would never do, so each night our server progressively added more and more spoons of sour cream, just to get a laugh out of her. Also, we had MTD and did not get our regular servers on our anniversary date. They went out of their way to come visit and insisted on celebrating again the following night when we were with them! If anyone is lucky enough to get Igede or Edguardo on Freedom, enjoy and have fun!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Many years ago we were on an odd Carnival cruise to the Mexican Riviera. It's a long story, but about half the passengers departed the cruise in Ensenada.

Our dining room table stayed intact through the departures....and what a great table it was. :) One of our table mates was a physician with a fondness for flaming cherries jubilee (back when it was allowed). And he had requested it every night.

By the end of the week, we all had flaming desserts, flaming cherries jubilee, flaming apple pie, flaming ice cream, flaming cake. Whatever we ordered, it came with a dash of brandy and was on fire. :D:D

Since the other waiters had hardly anyone left to wait on, they were all standing by behind our waiter Roy, with a fresh dessert to whisk into place for us, as soon as all the flames were extinguished.

I think Roy was one of the nicest and best waiters we've ever had, and that dining table group of strangers was one of the most fun tables ever. We had folks come over from other distant tables to inquire what all the levity was about. :)

some people have no sense of humour.

We ended up with kind of a running joke with our waiter. On the first night i was having trouble deciding between 2appetizers. Our server suggested i get both, and i laughingly accused him of trying to make me gain weight. The next night he brought an extra appetizer (that we didn't order). The next night it was 2extra appetizers. The next night it was an exta entree. Then an extra dessert. Then 2. On the last night he set out every dessert on the menu!!!

And the truly shameful (but funny) part? He never said a word when doing this. And we ate it all- except for the last night. As he set out the desserts he said "since you haven't gained any of that weight..."

love it! Hilariouos!

Last week we had a really great mixture of people for anytime dining, which we turned into timed dining together. About halfway through the cruise, our wait staffed joined the chemistry with their own practical jokes. We got birthday cakes, even though it was no one's birthday. My wife and I were given a plate of yogurt, an inside joke. They started over brewing, and mixing sugar, then lemon, then Coke into our tea. On the final night we were given peanut butter sandwiches, now that's fine dining!

On my last RCCL cruise, whoever is in charge of seating arrangements went out of their way to put my wife and I with either 3 or 4 (can't remember exactly at the moment) couples our age. The head waiter or maître d' came and checked on us every single day. By the end of the trip, we had a pretty good joke series going with the entire staff that were assigned to us, especially the head person. In retrospect, I feel that he put a group of 10 late 20 year olds together for our sake but also for his own enjoyment and I appreciate him for doing so. It was one of the best cruises I have ever been on simply due to the great time we had at the dinner table.

Edited by dudaze11

On our first cruise (Freedom 2012) we had a table for 6 - all of us coming from Finland. Some did not speak English very well, so there was a discussion about ice cream - how to order it with proper words? In Finnish, it is called a ball of ice cream. A scoop is too little, if we think direct translations between the languages, just a "spoonful" in Finnish.

So the other gentleman ordered boldly "two balls ".

He got 2 scoops with a biscuit (finger type) carefully placed between "the balls".

It was hilarious.

I'm not Finnish, but still want to order this way to see what happens!!! :D

what happened to us, was that he got the same delivery every night in addition to what he actually ordered for dessert. Just the color of "the balls" changed from day to day.

Luckily for others, further discussion was done mainly in Finnish, so we hopefully did not embarras or offend anybody sitting around us.

We got a good laugh (mainly laughing at ourselves and at our poor language skills) and something to remember for a long time.

One cruise we were on during a "formal" night the next table over all came in togas; shades of Animal House. Toga Toga Toga

I remember sailing on Explorer shortly after she came into service, and RCCL provided the togas in your cabin with instructions to wear them to dinner on a particular night.

We were sailing with 3 other couples, the gentleman of whom was quite large, so he ended up swapping his green issued toga for a white bed sheet from his cabin attendant.