Cabins on "the hump"

Purplsmurf

Hump cabins are great locations. You get great unobstructed views front to back. Easy access to the main lifts. Being port side the theory is that you get to see more goings on in port as the ship more often than not docks on that side. Not always the case in reality though.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

After experiencing it, that's the only location I care to be and on our Med cruise we loved being port side. My TA was able to pull up which ports we would be on portside crusing in and he was spot on. We knew we would have had to be starboard when we sailed into Venice but we did go to another deck on the starboard side to view the sail in.

Hump cabins are great locations. You get great unobstructed views front to back.

They are great locations, but you only get those views fore and aft if you are on the "straight" part of the hump. If you are on the angled part of the hump, you don't (you are looking forward or aft). Which doesn't mean those cabins aren't fantastic, they are (and they have bigger balconies than normal), but the OP hasn't said exactly where on the hump she/he is.

Great location near the elevators. Really can't be beat.

OP: In terms of port side, I don't know what deck you are on, but I believe there's an outdoor smoking area somewhere on the port side of deck 5. I have no idea whether this would affect your deck or hump cabins on that deck, but you might want to check into that on here. There's a "sticky" at the top of this forum with info about numerous cabins on S-class ships.

Finally, you can never predict which side of the ship will face the dock in port. Much depends on whether there are lifeboat drills or other work scheduled for a specific side of the ship, etc.

Have a great cruise!

They are great locations, but you only get those views fore and aft if you are on the "straight" part of the hump. If you are on the angled part of the hump, you don't (you are looking forward or aft). Which doesn't mean those cabins aren't fantastic, they are (and they have bigger balconies than normal), but the OP hasn't said exactly where on the hump she/he is.

Great location near the elevators. Really can't be beat.

OP: In terms of port side, I don't know what deck you are on, but I believe there's an outdoor smoking area somewhere on the port side of deck 5. I have no idea whether this would affect your deck or hump cabins on that deck, but you might want to check into that on here. There's a "sticky" at the top of this forum with info about numerous cabins on S-class ships.

Finally, you can never predict which side of the ship will face the dock in port. Much depends on whether there are lifeboat drills or other work scheduled for a specific side of the ship, etc.

Have a great cruise!

I must admit, we absolutely love the hump cabins, but that is my concern too. We changed from a port side hump to starboard on our last Eclipse cruise as we were concerned about being above the smoking area. If it doesn't bother you, thats fine and I wouldnt worry about it.

Lou

What is a hump cabin?

Front of ship starboard..................... middle of ship exterior.

_______..............................................___________..

.............\.........................................../....................\

...............\_______________________/.......................\________________

inside of ship.

Are they all the cabins that stick out along the exterior of the ship?

Or the just the cabins on the exterior that stick out in the middle?

Or those large balconies on the slant?

Thanks

The main determining factor is the tidal flow at arrival and departure. Since the ship will need to go in the opposite direction to leave the port, it must make a 180 degree turn in an area called the "turning basin", which is usually a tight with little room for mistakes. If the tidal flow is stronger at arrival, the ship will dock first, then make the turn upon departure. If the current will be stronger at departure, they'll make the turn upon arrival and dock with the other side of the ship towards the pier.

Edited by boogs

What is a hump cabin?

Front of ship starboard..................... middle of ship exterior.

_______..............................................___________..

.............\.........................................../....................\

...............\_______________________/.......................\________________

inside of ship.

Are they all the cabins that stick out along the exterior of the ship?

Or the just the cabins on the exterior that stick out in the middle?

Or those large balconies on the slant?

Thanks

On the S-class ships, "hump" is generally used to refer to the bulge of the ship in the area around the midship elevators and a bit forward and aft of them. On each side of the ship, the hump cabins are on three sides of a hexagon: the forward slant of the hump, the straight part, and the aft slant. Example: look at Deck 10 of the Eclipse; the hump cabins on the port side are 1229-1249.

The cabins on the slants of the hump have balconies that are larger than the balconies of other cabins in the same class, with the largest balconies on those cabins that are the first and third off the straight part of the hump.

I hope this is helpful.

On the S-class ships, "hump" is generally used to refer to the bulge of the ship in the area around the midship elevators and a bit forward and aft of them. On each side of the ship, the hump cabins are on three sides of a hexagon: the forward slant of the hump, the straight part, and the aft slant. Example: look at Deck 10 of the Eclipse; the hump cabins on the port side are 1229-1249.

The cabins on the slants of the hump have balconies that are larger than the balconies of other cabins in the same class, with the largest balconies on those cabins that are the first and third off the straight part of the hump.

I hope this is helpful.

So it is all of the cabins in the middle that include the large balconies on the slant plus the suites along the exterior in the middle. It sometimes seems as if others also include the cabins with large slanted cabins on the forward section.

Thanks.

🌊🚢🇺🇸

I believe the term "hump" really got its start on the Royal Caribbean boards--where the ships actually have a pronounced semicircular hump on the side of the ship...

That term then got carried over to the Celebrity boards--though the ship design is different. Celebrity S-Class ships merely have the cabins slant out, go in a parallel fashion again, then slant back in...The parallel cabins that stand further out from the ship may have a little less obstructed view but are otherwise identical to every other "in-line" location...

I like to think of the ones on the "slant" as "slant" cabins rather than using the term "hump"...These cabins are still identical to the in-line cabins EXCEPT for the balconies...The deck plans are not drawn in an exact manner as they make these cabins and balconies appear trapezoidal...They are not--the cabin itself is rectangular and identical to all other balcony cabins. The extra space caused by the slant of the ship is added to the balcony--which is far larger--depending on where on the slant it is placed...

As an example, the thumbnails attached are from Silhouette cabin #2106...one of the larger balconies on the S-Class ships...Great location right next to the Aft Elevators, so very convenient to Dining Room, Buffet, etc. Actually has a great view in BOTH directions...As you can see, the balcony is massive...

1891203421_Adriatic2013270(640x480).jpg.e60d8873f84517b0b4b0faad5f112b52.jpg

2121947168_Adriatic2013271(640x480).jpg.f9b3926323d7e4058d6a2d65bab06180.jpg

626312478_Adriatic2013272(640x480).jpg.3185c969396274de01226f85755f6962.jpg

1955133730_Adriatic2013273(640x480).jpg.c66693623886514d512ffd76ae7a2f8a.jpg

1654753537_Adriatic2013275(640x480).jpg.be858c18dc8c5f5aa21d01b11168ef6c.jpg

"Hump" is a term used on Cruise Critic but I'm not sure if it is used by Celebrity or not. The cabins on the angled part of the hump have verandas a little larger than other veranda cabins. The standard veranda cabins on the angle are all category 1a (as well as some CC, AQ and Suites) but the cabins on the forward part of the ship that angle in are also 1A cabins and these too have the slightly larger verandas due to the angle. In my mind "the Hump" refers only to the mid ship area but some might use this term in referring to the 1a cabins on the forward section of the ship as well. Since the term "hump" probably isn't used by Celebrity there is no strict definition.

i-5xmFwL8-M.jpg

We are on the 8th deck.....about the middle of the hump (can't remember cabin numbers off hand) in the past we have been on the starboard side so I guess it doesn't really matter cuz one never knows which side will be facing the port. Glad to hear that we should be happy here! Thank you everyone!!'

Sent from my iPad using Forums

One more question since everyone is so helpful....in the pics I see a door. Does that open? My kids are in the adjoining cabin next to us and wondered if it opens!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

All the verandas on S class can be opened to the veranda next to them on request. This is done by having your stateroom attendant unlock and open a portion of the veranda partition (about half of it) between the cabins.

Some rooms are adjoining cabins as indicated on the deck plans. On most of the s class ships this is accomplished through a special set of doors at the entrance to the cabin which can be set up to form sort of a common front hallway between the two cabins with a single door into it. The regular doors then become inner doors which can be left open to this connecting hallway if you choose. On the Reflection they went back to a more typical connecting door within the cabin.

Edited by Lsimon