Wines and corkage and bars, Oh my! (Signature Beverage Pkg, Beverage Cards & Corkage)

POA1

Thanks to all of the great advice on this thread, we just got back from a wonderful trip to Alaska on the Amsterdam.

We went ahead and bought the beverage package (because I hate going through pages of bill the day of disembarkation) and also brought our own wine aboard (and happily paid the $18 corkage for all but two bottles-just paid at check in, didn't get stickers, etc. on the bottles, but no one asked in the MDR or the PG nor did they try to charge a separate corkage fee.) I'm not sure if it matters if you pre-order the beverage package, but we didn't get hit with those pesky 15% service charges as I think we paid for that up front. We kept very hydrated with bottled water, Exploration Café latte's and specialty coffees (AKA Adult caffeinated beverages), cocktails and beers (I think we depleted the Lido' Pool's supply of Blue Moon beer). I don't think we ever actually hit the 15 beverage limit. We tried. Hard. Hubby's Macallan scotch was not part of the package, but $13 (approx.) got him a healthy pour.

If you are on the Amsterdam, talk to the sommelier, Jacques. His high end wine tasting seminar was fascinating and he opened bottles of champagne with a saber...yes, a saber! Never have actually seen that done before. Very knowledgeable with a very nice wine list.

Wine prices by the glass were quite expensive (example LongShadows wineries were about $22 a glass, bottles of wine were more reasonably priced (LongShadows wineries around $88).

To my great sadness, no Beefeaters Gin to be found except in the minibars. I had to console myself with Crown Royal and Wild Turkey. Had to take one for the team.

Cheers!

I just looked at a March posting of alcohol/beer available with the Signature Drinks Package. Although there were many "premium" beers, mostly German, available, I didn't see any craft beers - IPAs, etc., which have exploded in the U.S. in the last couple of years.

Does anyone know if any craft beers are currently available? We are booking a cruise with HAL (our first) for next May - Maasdam from Ft. Lauderdale to Montreal, 15 days

I just looked at a March posting of alcohol/beer available with the Signature Drinks Package. Although there were many "premium" beers, mostly German, available, I didn't see any craft beers - IPAs, etc., which have exploded in the U.S. in the last couple of years.

Does anyone know if any craft beers are currently available? We are booking a cruise with HAL (our first) for next May - Maasdam from Ft. Lauderdale to Montreal, 15 days

I didn't see anything in the way of craft beers earlier this year in the Caribbean. If you are in Fort Lauderdale for a few days before you sail, check out Total Wine. It's like a candy store for craft beer lovers.

On the Amsterdam, there were several Alaskan beers, but that would make sense. Not sure about the East Coast voyage, though I would expect there to be some.

• 1 month later...
Our Explore 4 gives us a free Pinnacle grill dinner and Signature Beverage pack.

Our Explore 4 was the Pinnacle plus a $50 beverage gift card - not the SBP. I think all the 2015 promos include the Signature Beverage Package.

ha! ha! I am still laughing. Looking forward to your investigative report.

I bought beverage cards to hopefully pay my corkage fees but I now realize that most likely the charge will be levied before we get to our room, so it will be a charge to the onboard account and not to the beverage card since that won't be in our possession or activated yet - oh well;)

Looking forward to your reports. Hope you have a great cruise!:D

It was hard work POA1 but somebody had to raise the "Bar". ;)

Edited by Folk Singer

I am compiling a little list for myself to take aboard for our upcoming cruise with explore4, and I am sure I read, in the last day or two, an International Menu that someone had posted, and it had, under each section, "recommended" wines by the glass, and some of them were under $7. I wanted to make a note of them, and now I can't find the post. Does anyone remember who dunnit? And where?

POA1, you have been an inspiration to all of us who really feel we must make the most of our explore4 cards!

I am compiling a little list for myself to take aboard for our upcoming cruise with explore4, and I am sure I read, in the last day or two, an International Menu that someone had posted, and it had, under each section, "recommended" wines by the glass, and some of them were under $7. I wanted to make a note of them, and now I can't find the post. Does anyone remember who dunnit? And where?

POA1, you have been an inspiration to all of us who really feel we must make the most of our explore4 cards!

Roger Jett's site has it (Crew News on CC)

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/A-Day-07.pdf

I don't know if they have those wines available daily or if it's only with the International menu. If they're available every day, it would be nice, since the lack of a house Sauvignon Blanc is an obvious hole when it comes to pairing wines with your meal. (In my opinion, anyway....)

The link above is from the Caribbean sailings in 2013. Here's Alaska 2014:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Westerdam-2014-Alaska-Victoria.pdf

You can get to his whole series of menu scans from this page, by using the dropdown under HAL Menus

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=775

Edited by POA1

Thanks, POA, you've come through again. I think I read somewhere that one could request a Canaletto wine in the MDR, I'm hoping that is the case, also the International Menu wines.

I seem to remember on the Volendam that there were two whites in the Crow's Nest that were under $7, Crew News only has one in the Bar Menu, will have to look into that. Anyway, in all I found 14 different wines under $7, not including the four house wines you mentioned....:)

Thanks, POA, you've come through again. I think I read somewhere that one could request a Canaletto wine in the MDR, I'm hoping that is the case, also the International Menu wines.

I seem to remember on the Volendam that there were two whites in the Crow's Nest that were under $7, Crew News only has one in the Bar Menu, will have to look into that. Anyway, in all I found 14 different wines under $7, not including the four house wines you mentioned....:)

You should definitely publish that original research here. It will help a lot of people. We carried on our dinner wine, so there wasn't as much opportunity to check out things besides the house selections.

Here is my small contribution to this important research :):

MDR - House wines (Sta. Carolina?) - Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio, Cabernet Sauvignon & Merlot $5.95?

MDR -International Menu - Blackstone Sauvignon Blanc $7.00

Footprints Chardonnay $6.00

Rattlesnake Hills Chardonnay $6.00

Rattlesnake Hills Cabernet Sauvignon $5.00

Bar menu - Pol Clement $5.50

Prosecco $6.00

House Pinot Grigio, Zonin $5.50

Woodbridge White Zinfandel $6.00

Canaletto Menu - Pinot Grigio, Delle Venezie $5.50

Pinot Grigio, Danzante $6.75

Solento Rose $5.50

Pinot Noir, Pavia $5.50

Primitiveo di Puglia $5.50

Montepulciano d'Abbruzzo $5.50

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 1

A quick question - It is my birthday while on board our cruise. What if I am given a couple of presents before I board( that happen to be champagne but I do not know that) will I have to open my presents to be checked out and pay corkage on each bottle?

I will organise that all researchers will get liver cleansing tablets for Xmas but you will have to come and collect them when you deliver the book you will have compiled called 'Booze on Boats' yes it should be ships but did not sound so good. Enjoy!

My understanding is that each adult in the stateroom is permitted to bring on one bottle of wine free of corkage. Anything over that will be charged corkage and stickered. If you take an unstickered bottle to a public venue (MDR for example) you will be charged corkage. I think you will have to open your presents when you board.:)

A quick question - It is my birthday while on board our cruise. What if I am given a couple of presents before I board( that happen to be champagne but I do not know that) will I have to open my presents to be checked out and pay corkage on each bottle?

I will organise that all researchers will get liver cleansing tablets for Xmas but you will have to come and collect them when you deliver the book you will have compiled called 'Booze on Boats' yes it should be ships but did not sound so good. Enjoy!

I believe that they would have to see the bottles to attach the stickers. I don't know how much different a bottle of liquor and a bottle of wine look on the scanners, so they would most likely need to see your gifts. How about gift bags or a minimalist gift wrapping treatment with just a bow & ribbon?

It sounds like you will have a most excellent birthday. Congratulations!

Edited by POA1

Last year I took a bottle of champagne onboard and consumed it in the cabin at no extra charge, so it will be interesting to experience the procedure in 2015! No doubt someone will give us the lowdown before then though.

You get one bottle per adult free of corkage as long as you drink it in your room.

Here is my small contribution to this important research :):

MDR - House wines (Sta. Carolina?) - Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio, Cabernet Sauvignon & Merlot $5.95?

MDR -International Menu - Blackstone Sauvignon Blanc $7.00

Footprints Chardonnay $6.00

Rattlesnake Hills Chardonnay $6.00

Rattlesnake Hills Cabernet Sauvignon $5.00

Bar menu - Pol Clement $5.50

Prosecco $6.00

House Pinot Grigio, Zonin $5.50

Woodbridge White Zinfandel $6.00

Canaletto Menu - Pinot Grigio, Delle Venezie $5.50

Pinot Grigio, Danzante $6.75

Solento Rose $5.50

Pinot Noir, Pavia $5.50

Primitiveo di Puglia $5.50

Montepulciano d'Abbruzzo $5.50

I have to apologize for thinking there was a SBP eligible glass of wine in the Pinnacle Grill.

After doing some digging around on halfacts site, I found 2 other wines, but they are listed under "The Mix" on Ryndam, Cinzano Asti-$6 and Freixenet Cordon Negro Brut-$6.

I wonder if these wines are also available on the other ships.

Perhaps, someone going on a cruise in the near future might want the assignment of checking them out.:)

I have to apologize for thinking there was a SBP eligible glass of wine in the Pinnacle Grill.

After doing some digging around on halfacts site, I found 2 other wines, but they are listed under "The Mix" on Ryndam, Cinzano Asti-$6 and Freixenet Cordon Negro Brut-$6.

I wonder if these wines are also available on the other ships.

Perhaps, someone going on a cruise in the near future might want the assignment of checking them out.:)

We'll look in November and report back. We won't have the Explore 4 or the Signature Beverage Package, but I am sure we will have one or two chances to speak to a wine steward or bartender.

Very kind of you, i'm sure.:D Perhaps the book should be called "Boozing on Board" - then it would cover boats and ships! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I have another question for the researchers on this thread. As I was perusing the halfacts site, I noticed that there is often a "Sip and Savor" event held at the Pinnacle Bar. It includes some tasty treats and the highlighted wine for $4.95 a glass. And they also show a $3 wine tasting there as well. Has anyone been able to get this glass of wine using the Explore4 SBP? It is obviously less than $7 but not sure if it would be included.

Vict0riaan, POA1 would you be able to add this to you research list on your next cruise?

Edited by OVgirl

I have another question for the researchers on this thread. As I was perusing the halfacts site, I noticed that there is often a "Sip and Savor" event held at the Pinnacle Bar. It includes some tasty treats and the highlighted wine for $4.95 a glass. And they also show a $3 wine tasting there as well. Has anyone been able to get this glass of wine using the Explore4 SBP? It is obviously less than $7 but not sure if it would be included.

Vict0riaan, POA1 would you be able to add this to you research list on your next cruise?

On the Rotterdam, no that glass of wine was not SBP eligible. I was told it was because that was already a special price. The glass of wine and accompanying nibbles were delightful and well worth the price.