Wines and corkage and bars, Oh my! (Signature Beverage Pkg, Beverage Cards & Corkage)

POA1

POA1, I echo all of those who have told you how useful this thread is and how much your input and your sense of humour:) are appreciated. We have just booked the Noordam for Alaska in August 15 and got the SBP as part of the Explore4 package.

I have read all of the thread (fun reading!) but I ended up confused about what wine we will be able to get. Post 588 notes a number of wines that appear to give a good number of options. But I am not sure if these are all available in all venues on the ship. For example, is it possible to get the wine listed for the Canaletto in the main dining room?

And you noted there are house wines that don't appear on the menu. How does one find out if/where those are availble? Just ask the wine steward at dinner?

I hope we'll be able to continue your excellent research next summer. We certainly will try to do our part, all in the name of science of course!

POA1, I echo all of those who have told you how useful this thread is and how much your input and your sense of humour:) are appreciated. We have just booked the Noordam for Alaska in August 15 and got the SBP as part of the Explore4 package.

I have read all of the thread (fun reading!) but I ended up confused about what wine we will be able to get. Post 588 notes a number of wines that appear to give a good number of options. But I am not sure if these are all available in all venues on the ship. For example, is it possible to get the wine listed for the Canaletto in the main dining room?

And you noted there are house wines that don't appear on the menu. How does one find out if/where those are availble? Just ask the wine steward at dinner?

I hope we'll be able to continue your excellent research next summer. We certainly will try to do our part, all in the name of science of course!

We're on the Nieuw Amsterdam in just under two weeks. I'll try to update the list. We took our own wine when we did this report, so I didn't pay as much attention to it as Vict0riann did in post #588. I'll comb through all the lists to see what I can find for you when we're on in a few weeks. I'll post it here.

Edited by POA1

Is this winelist still current for all HAL Ships?

Thanks

The wine list does change with availability. So, while the lists are fairly consistent, you should expect to see changes from time to time, or from ship to ship. My lists are from March. Crew News has some scans from summer. His are more current.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=908

I'll get new copies of the lists in November. Roger (CrewNews) will probably post new ones in December.

Sorry if this has been asked 100 times before but what are you allowed for bringing water and soft drinks onboard?

You can bring on as much water and/or soda as you want---at any and all ports, too. That way you don't have to carry a lot on board while you are embarking with a lot of luggage.

Sorry if this has been asked 100 times before but what are you allowed for bringing water and soft drinks onboard?

As much as you want. Jury is still out on whether you will have to carry it on yourself or can still "tag it" as baggage at the pier and have it delivered to your room.

POA1, you are a marvel. Thank you and your team for all the dedicated research and for reporting back in such detail!

I've got a couple of questions about the SBP:-

1. Can anyone confirm whether a Bloody Caesar will be included? I see that a Bloody Mary has already been downed by someone in the interests of science, so I suppose my question is whether a Bloody Caesar would be the same price.

2. Being an old cynic, I wondered what would happen if HAL increases the price of drinks between now and the cruise. If all the drinks that are currently $6.95 were to increase to $7.95, that could make a real difference to the value of the SBP because far less would be included. But someone might be trying to decide now whether to keep their SBP rather than take a price drop on the basis of the current value of the SBP at those $6.95 prices.

POA1, you are a marvel. Thank you and your team for all the dedicated research and for reporting back in such detail!

1. Can anyone confirm whether a Bloody Caesar will be included? I see that a Bloody Mary has already been downed by someone in the interests of science, so I suppose my question is whether a Bloody Caesar would be the same price.

2. Being an old cynic, I wondered what would happen if HAL increases the price of drinks between now and the cruise. If all the drinks that are currently $6.95 were to increase to $7.95, that could make a real difference to the value of the SBP because far less would be included. But someone might be trying to decide now whether to keep their SBP rather than take a price drop on the basis of the current value of the SBP at those $6.95 prices.

Thanks. You're too kind.

Yes to the Bloody Caesar. :)

I would imagine that the backlash would be huge if they priced most of the drinks out of the range of the Signature Beverage Package. Holland America is in competition with other cruise lines and their beverage packages. While they could do what you're saying. I don't think it would make business sense.

HAL made $6.95 the price of included drinks because the majority of those drinks priced at that amount are included in the package. They are not trying to make anyone angry, I'm quite sure. They are not going to raise prices so that many drinks could be excluded. The only drinks not included are the premium spirits like Glen Fidich etc.

HAL is making a ton of money on those people who actually purchase the package. We got it included. One day (when I drank like a fish) I kept a record of drinks,wine, soda, coffee and perrier. I STILL didn't drink enough to have purchased the package myself. I drink more than enough, and I would lose money. HAL knows this...they are making money, believe me! If this package comes with your cruise, it's a lot of fun!

Excellent, thanks!
I would imagine that the backlash would be huge if they priced most of the drinks out of the range of the Signature Beverage Package. Holland America is in competition with other cruise lines and their beverage packages. While they could do what you're saying. I don't think it would make business sense.
HAL made $6.95 the price of included drinks because the majority of those drinks priced at that amount are included in the package. They are not trying to make anyone angry, I'm quite sure.
Yes, I think that must be right. The price of drinks will have to go up eventually, so let's hope that HAL will properly think through the mechanism for SBPs when they eventually do.

I know your question was answered but wanted to let you know that the Caesar can be made at the Bloody Mary cart, in the Lido, that may be available on your cruise. On our May cruise, the cart was available daily from about 7:30 am to about 10:30 am. My DM enjoyed one, once we found the cart!

I know your question was answered but wanted to let you know that the Caesar can be made at the Bloody Mary cart, in the Lido, that may be available on your cruise. On our May cruise, the cart was available daily from about 7:30 am to about 10:30 am. My DM enjoyed one, once we found the cart!
Thank you - I will pass that on. The breakfast of champions? :)

I tried doing a search on this thread but wasn't able to find an answer to my question.

If one has the X4 SBP, can it be used the morning of disembarkation for water, mimosas or cappuccinos?

It wasn't covered anywhere in the thread. I don't know the answer. A lot of things, like your Internet package seem to "end" overnight on the last night.

Unless someone has experience and can answer you, we'll certainly ask next week.

I tried doing a search on this thread but wasn't able to find an answer to my question.

If one has the X4 SBP, can it be used the morning of disembarkation for water, mimosas or cappuccinos?

I figured that someone else would have the answer to your question. Zippercat just posted it here:

============

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=44697397

Explore 4 Questions

We were able to use our Signature Beverage cards the last day of our cruise. We got coffees before breakfast and then, before we left the ship, we got large bottles of water at the Explorations Cafe. ......

============

Just so you know, The Institute of Cheer might not always have your answer, but that doesn't mean that we won't work tirelessly, trying to find it on your behalf. We spare no expense, even going as far as to read other people's answers, copy them, and paste 'em for you. :D

Edited by POA1

I figured that someone else would have the answer to your question. Zippercat just posted it here:

============

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=44697397

Explore 4 Questions

We were able to use our Signature Beverage cards the last day of our cruise. We got coffees before breakfast and then, before we left the ship, we got large bottles of water at the Explorations Cafe. ......

============

Just so you know, The Institute of Cheer might not always have your answer, but that doesn't mean that we won't work tirelessly, trying to find it on your behalf. We spare no expense, even going as far as to read other people's answers, copy them, and paste 'em for you. :D

And all that research (and giving credit to other's research) is appreciated by many of us.

thanks for your hard work and dedication! Humor outstanding!

We too like fabulous wines - and were very disappointed with HAL when the policy changed. With a nice long cruise you need some lovely wines and those do not fall on the HAL lists (you need nice wine for even a short cruise)

Its nice that we have reached discount level but they charge 15% on the package and then you get 50% off on the cost - it works but not great. And then there is the selection - can never figure why they do not offer packages based on the region your visiting. Instead its the same selection all the time :(.

2013 we did 1/2 the world on the Amsterdam - Chile & Australia - and wow a great wine tour in the Borassa Valley found wines off 100 year old vines (before policy change) we brought 4 bottles home with us to Ecuador :) and drank a few in the cabin.

We always buy two Riedels for room tasting on the longer cruises, heck even the shorter ones. (they also have O's to Go which fit nice in a carry on)

We did Norway with the SBC this July/August and bought wine packages for dinner. We were fortunate to have the wine attendant bring us a carafe of white/red for cabin drinking (as we were not drinking on the card at dinner so we got around the one drink every 15 minutes). We wanted to enjoy the Fjords from our balcony. For the three weeks we mostly drank coffee & bottled water, found the card to be in a word a pain (as we are wine drinkers, DH likes single malt - not an option).

in any case really enjoyed this thread :)

cheers!!

Patrice & Dave