Wines and corkage and bars, Oh my! (Signature Beverage Pkg, Beverage Cards & Corkage)

POA1

Do we get our Pinnacle reservation when we check in or is it waiting in the cabin?

It should be in your cabin although I just read recently on another thread that if it's a long cruise, and your free dinner is later in the cruise, it may take a few days before the confirmation shows up.

It should be in your cabin although I just read recently on another thread that if it's a long cruise, and your free dinner is later in the cruise, it may take a few days before the confirmation shows up.

Even if you don't have the reservation card in your stateroom on the first day, it will be in the reservation system. So, if you are supposed to have a gratis reservation, and you don't get the invitation card, you can still check on or move your reservation.

Just back from our Westerdam cruise. First off, it was great!

Second, there really are no Weng Wengs being served on that ship. Must have been something specific that made them take that action, but we couldn't pry anything out of the crew.

Third, they would not allow us to charge the Taste and Savor ($5 glass of wine with apps) to our Signature Beverage Card. We were told it was an "event".

... they would not allow us to charge the Taste and Savor ($5 glass of wine with apps) to our Signature Beverage Card. We were told it was an "event".

Very strange. On Maasdam, we were allowed to use it for the Sip & Savour (which was $4 there), but they charged us $6.95 and called it a particular chardonnay, so I guess that was their way around it.

I wasn't sure, but thought I had read here that at least one of the ships allowed the Sip and Savor to be charged to the SBP. It wasn't a big deal as we got lots of other drinks with the card.:)

I also just remembered that on the last evening we went to the Front Desk and asked for a printout of the activity on our SBP card.

We were then able to see exactly how many beverages we had purchased each day and the total value of these purchases for the whole cruise.

A list like this makes it easier to decide the value of such a perk on our next cruise.

I wasn't sure, but thought I had read here that at least one of the ships allowed the Sip and Savor to be charged to the SBP. It wasn't a big deal as we got lots of other drinks with the card.:)

I also just remembered that on the last evening we went to the Front Desk and asked for a printout of the activity on our SBP card.

We were then able to see exactly how many beverages we had purchased each day and the total value of these purchases for the whole cruise.

A list like this makes it easier to decide the value of such a perk on our next cruise.

We could get the daily wine tasting on the SBP last year on the Noordam. If I recall correctly, the charge was around $5, which covered the wine. If you didn't drink, you could get the appetizer tasting for free.

I don't know what it might be about the Westerdam and the Wang Wang. We got one on the Nieuw Amsterdam in November. We weren't really fans. It's kind of sweet for our tastes. But we ordered one at the Ocean Bar. DW took one for the team and drank some of it. (She switched to a vodka and soda with lime.) We also asked at the Crow's Nest, and they said that they would make one as well.

Here's the proof.

4e4016b13f9239d2dae8b1b39a80eb36.jpg

Like I said, it's way too sweet for our tastes, but we didn't want to neglect our research duties.

Our Explore 4 was the Pinnacle plus a $50 beverage gift card - not the SBP. I think all the 2015 promos include the Signature Beverage Package.

Same here, we got $50 per person, per day, in beverages for the Explore 4. We are not really drinkers, but I look forward to coffee drinks and Coke, maybe a cocktail before dinner. The cost of what we are getting is pretty much equal to what we tend to spend for bevvies during a cruise anyway, so it will save us some money. :D

Lorie

Same here, we got $50 per person, per day, in beverages for the Explore 4. We are not really drinkers, but I look forward to coffee drinks and Coke, maybe a cocktail before dinner. The cost of what we are getting is pretty much equal to what we tend to spend for bevvies during a cruise anyway, so it will save us some money. :D

Lorie

The daily "value" (what you would pay if you were buying the card) of the card you receive is $50 - however, if you read the small print on the back of the card you will see it says it "..... may be used to purchase up to 15 drinks maximum per day. Includes any beverage priced at a $7 or lower menu price. Excludes mini-bar, in-room Dining, beverages on Half Moon Cay and beverages priced more than $7....". This is called the "Signature Beverage Package".

It is not the same as a one-time $50 beverage card (what POA1 said he received), which is like a $50 gift card - not per day.

There have been a lot of misunderstandings about the different cards.

I had one on our last cruise and found it lacking in something - taste - I will try one more time to check to see if they found it.

The Wang Wangs I've had before seemed more yellow/orangish in color.

Huskerchick has lovely hands, seems her hands are the only part of her she lets you share with us. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Wang Wangs I've had before seemed more yellow/orangish in color.

Huskerchick has lovely hands, seems her hands are the only part of her she lets you share with us. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My guess is that we got a hefty dose of grenadine which made the drink redder. I'll be sure to pass along the hands compliment. We don't really go in for a lot of selfies - especially me. In fact, if you looked at our vacation photos, there's very little photographic proof that I was even along. :D

My guess is that we got a hefty dose of grenadine which made the drink redder. I'll be sure to pass along the hands compliment. We don't really go in for a lot of selfies - especially me. In fact, if you looked at our vacation photos, there's very little photographic proof that I was even along. :D

Guess the bear is the family member that goes for the selfies ;)

Will be sailing on NA in November. SBP was included for first 2 travelers in my cabin. One of those is myself, the other is my 16 year old son. I have been told be HA that my son will be able to use the package for any non-alcoholic beverages but does anyone have first-hand knowledge?

Will be sailing on NA in November. SBP was included for first 2 travelers in my cabin. One of those is myself, the other is my 16 year old son. I have been told be HA that my son will be able to use the package for any non-alcoholic beverages but does anyone have first-hand knowledge?

A minor with a Signature Beverage Package Card would be able to get 15 non alcoholic beverages per day. I'd get something in writing, because the terms and conditions for the SBP state that it's available for guests over 21.

But we ordered one at the Ocean Bar. DW took one for the team and drank some of it. (She switched to a vodka and soda with lime.) We also asked at the Crow's Nest, and they said that they would make one as well.

She's such a brave girl - you must be proud of her! I'll order one and sample it when we're on board next week to see if it's too sweet or not. My tastes range from the tartness of a grapefruit cosmo, to the smoothness (smoothity? ! ?) of a glass of Chivas, so who knows what my take will be on the Wang Wang.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Edited by ger_77

My tastes range from the tartness of a grapefruit cosmo, to the smoothness (smoothity? ! ?) of a glass of Chivas, so who knows what my take will be on the Wang Wang?

Smoothity. I like it! I'm also fond of "smoothiality," and the classic "Smooooth..." which is performed with a downward facing palm, starting from about your neck - and extending the arm in a sweeping, outward motion.

• 2 weeks later...

I decided I wanted a Southern Comfort Manhattan on our recent cruise on the Eurodam. I asked the waiter in the Ocean Bar to give me a manhattan without the liquor and a shot of Southern Comfort on the side. I assume he charged for each the required time apart. This worked except I like my drink "up" and this made it on the rocks.

My husband likes a perfect bourbon Manhattan made with Makers Mark. Makers Mark is over the 7 dollar limit. He just ordered a perfect bourbon Manhattan. He said it was pretty good. We never bothered to try to get a better bourbon by ordering it on the side.

I decided I wanted a Southern Comfort Manhattan on our recent cruise on the Eurodam. I asked the waiter in the Ocean Bar to give me a manhattan without the liquor and a shot of Southern Comfort on the side. I assume he charged for each the required time apart. This worked except I like my drink "up" and this made it on the rocks.

My husband likes a perfect bourbon Manhattan made with Makers Mark. Makers Mark is over the 7 dollar limit. He just ordered a perfect bourbon Manhattan. He said it was pretty good. We never bothered to try to get a better bourbon by ordering it on the side.

We found that most of the bar staff was willing to work with us - within the confines of the program of course. Maker's Mark was never an option, but between Jim Beam, Jack Daniels, and Wild Turkey, we were able to make things work. :)

We could get the daily wine tasting on the SBP last year on the Noordam. If I recall correctly, the charge was around $5, which covered the wine. If you didn't drink, you could get the appetizer tasting for free.

I don't know what it might be about the Westerdam and the Wang Wang. We got one on the Nieuw Amsterdam in November. We weren't really fans. It's kind of sweet for our tastes. But we ordered one at the Ocean Bar. DW took one for the team and drank some of it. (She switched to a vodka and soda with lime.) We also asked at the Crow's Nest, and they said that they would make one as well.

Here's the proof.

4e4016b13f9239d2dae8b1b39a80eb36.jpg

Like I said, it's way too sweet for our tastes, but we didn't want to neglect our research duties.

Last month I could not get the daily wine tasting with the SBP on the Westerdam. CThey were somewhat curt about it as well.

DaveOKC

Last month I could not get the daily wine tasting with the SBP on the Westerdam. CThey were somewhat curt about it as well.

DaveOKC

It seems that Westerdam has a few more restrictions on their drinking program than the other ships.

No Weng Weng

No Sip and Savor on SBP

OK so I take my stash of wine through Port Security with no problems, right? They don't care.

At what point do I pay the corkage fee? Does HAL X-ray CARRY-ON bags or do they look into everyone's bags before embarking? Just wondering how and where they charge the corkage BEFORE boarding. Thanks!

Oh and what if you put your one bottle in your checked - I assume they see it on Xray but ...