Wines and corkage and bars, Oh my! (Signature Beverage Pkg, Beverage Cards & Corkage)

POA1

Sorry if this has been posted. I did a search but did not find what I was looking for. We have never sailed HAL so we have some questions.

Can you bring wine and beer for consumption in your stateroom?

Do you pay for coffee and water?

How much is beer and wine if you buy it without a plan?

Thanks.

Usual coffee in MDR and Lido are no extra charge. If you wish to have espresso or cappuccino in MDR, there is a charge.

Couple of questions:

1. I noticed earlier in this thread that you brought your own corkscrew even though they were provided in the Neptune suite. Ever have a problem with them confiscating them? My favorite has a small, maybe two inch blade.

2. Wine glasses are provided in the Neptune suite?

3. Personally, I like my Manhattan made with Rye. Is Rye available?

Sailing on Westerdam.

I think some one said you lived in the condos?

BTW, thanks for the tip about giving the wine check in guys a tip. I wouldn't have thought about that. I'm only bring six bottles. Fiver enough?

Most of the time, there has been a cork screw in our Neptune Suite but a few times there was not. I always keep a travel one in my suitcase, just in case. :) As to your two inch blade, I wouldn't chance it. Bring one of the 'travel corkscrews' almost any liquor store sells. They are lightweight, inexpensive and serve just fine.

The bars have rye.

Most of the time, there has been a cork screw in our Neptune Suite but a few times there was not. I always keep a travel one in my suitcase, just in case. :) As to your two inch blade, I wouldn't chance it. Bring one of the 'travel corkscrews' almost any liquor store sells. They are lightweight, inexpensive and serve just fine.

The bars have rye.

I always travel with a professional corkscrew, blade and all, but keep it in my checked luggage on the airplane and take it out when we land. The ship's security really doesn't care and I have brought it on several times without question.

Why would they even question a two-inch blade on my corkscrew and confiscate it when I can go to Pinnacle and get an eight inch steak knife :rolleyes:

I always travel with a professional corkscrew, blade and all, but keep it in my checked luggage on the airplane and take it out when we land. The ship's security really doesn't care and I have brought it on several times without question.

Why would they even question a two-inch blade on my corkscrew and confiscate it when I can go to Pinnacle and get an eight inch steak knife :rolleyes:

I live outside an Army post with a sign at the entrance stating that possessing a knife with a blade over three inches is prohibited and is a felony. The post exchange sells knives with blades much longer. IOW, you can legally buy a knife on post that is illegal to possess on post.

I suspect that an inspection of the kitchens of those living on post would reveal that live there are guilty of a felony.

The bars have rye.

Thanks for the information on the rye. I've looked at walmart an the only corkscrews they have include a blade. I'll check with my wine merchant.

I've carried a double hinged corkscrew with a foil cutter blade for years. It's in my shaving kit / overnight bag. For flying, it's almost always in a checked bag. Getting on the ship, it's always been in my carry on. (Pulltap is the brand of choice.)

TSA regulations allow a blade of up to 2.36 inches or 6 cm. Odds are that your foil knife on your corkscrew is compliant.

I've never had a good corkscrew in a Neptune Suite (Not counting the one I bring with me.) They have never been nice, double hinged wine keys with a high quality worm.

Edited by POA1

I live outside an Army post with a sign at the entrance stating that possessing a knife with a blade over three inches is prohibited and is a felony. The post exchange sells knives with blades much longer. IOW, you can legally buy a knife on post that is illegal to possess on post.

I suspect that an inspection of the kitchens of those living on post would reveal that live there are guilty of a felony.

Felony? For every butter knife on the planet? How the heck do they cut food?

I guess it's only a matter of time until someone declares the knife block in our kitchens to be an "arsenal." Our teeny little paring knife is felony bait. :eek:

:D There you go being logical. :D :rolleyes: :cool:

Felony? For every butter knife on the planet? How the heck do they cut food?

I guess it's only a matter of time until someone declares the knife block in our kitchens to be an "arsenal." Our teeny little paring knife is felony bait. :eek:

My point was these rules are absurd. One federal agency, TSA, adopts a rule, no blades longer than 2 inches on an airplane, and every federal agency adopts the same rule regardless of any rational reason.

It also points out that under today's federal system, almost every citizen is guilty of committing several felonies every day.

Do I understand this correctly? If it is myself and my husband in the cabin and he does not drink, I am unable to buy a Signature drink card.

If you buy the spb he has to as well. He can use it on non alcoholic drinks such as specialty coffees, mock tails etc but obviously he would need to consume a lot to make it worthwhile

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Hi, I haven't posted previously, but am intrigued/appalled by some of the previous information regarding corkscrews. Do we understand correctly that pocket knives would be contraband on a ship? I never go anywhere (except on airplanes) without one.

George

Hi, I haven't posted previously, but am intrigued/appalled by some of the previous information regarding corkscrews. Do we understand correctly that pocket knives would be contraband on a ship? I never go anywhere (except on airplanes) without one.

George

I take my Swiss Army knife with me on every cruise and it has never been an issue. It goes into my checked luggage when flying and it stays there for boarding the ship. The largest blade is 2.5".

Edited by Boytjie

George

Knives with blades longer than 4 inches are not allowed. However, if you are taking a corkscrew, you're much better off with a real, double hinged waiter's corkscrew. It should have a tiny foil cutter blade, but the blade will be well under the limit.

Knives with blades longer than 4 inches are not allowed. However, if you are taking a corkscrew, you're much better off with a real, double hinged waiter's corkscrew. It should have a tiny foil cutter blade, but the blade will be well under the limit.

I think corkscrew preferences are personal choices. Mine is the kind that levers off the lip of the wine bottle.

I travel carry on only and carry a corkscrew on board. It gets careful scrutiny, but passes. It has a foil cutter that isn't a knife, a nice weight and firm hinge that are what I look for in a corkscrew - it came from the dollar store.

Other passengers and I kind of shake our heads, as it still has the actual screw on it that could be a lethal enough weapon - in our minds.

• 2 weeks later...

We are booked under the Anniversary Sale, which includes (2) $50 beverage cards. We are considering buying 2 SBP’s (after we board) and wonder if the ship might convert the beverage cards to OBC or apply them to the purchase of the packages?

Thanks! :)

Whatever amount you don't use on the $50 cards will be credited to your account at the end of the cruise.

Thank you! Didn't even think of that -- figured if we didn't use it, we would lose it.

Whatever amount you don't use on the $50 cards will be credited to your account at the end of the cruise.

If they're HAL cards, I don't think you get the $50 refunded. You can use it for bottles of wine, or drinks over the limit.

The years mny DH and I werew active dugty in ghre Army, we always had large carv inb knives, steak knives etc in our kitchen as did all the other officerfs and their families.

Edited by sail7seas

I take my Swiss Army knife with me on every cruise and it has never been an issue. It goes into my checked luggage when flying and it stays there for boarding the ship. The largest blade is 2.5".

I have the same knife and it was confiscated after being reported in my checked luggage in San Diego even though it has been with me for many other cruises. Must be a San Diego terminal thing.

I have the same knife and it was confiscated after being reported in my checked luggage in San Diego even though it has been with me for many other cruises. Must be a San Diego terminal thing.

Interesting.... The Know Before You Go packet says on page 7:

Please Note:

Firearms, explosives, fireworks, other weapons and knives or
sharp blades over four inches long
and illegal drugs of any kind are prohibited without exception. For safety reasons hoverboards or similar devices are not allowed on board our ship.

Was your small, totally legal per policy knife attached to your hoverboard by chance? :D

If they're HAL cards, I don't think you get the $50 refunded. You can use it for bottles of wine, or drinks over the limit.

Bottles of wine or drinks over the limit -- not a problem in this household :eek: ;) :p

• 4 weeks later...

Is there a card for cafe for explorations Cafe that I can get in advance before the cruise? We are 4 star Mariners and get 50%off on cafe but was thinking I'd combine our discount with the beverage card , will they still apply the 4 star Mariners discount?

Is there a card for cafe for explorations Cafe that I can get in advance before the cruise? We are 4 star Mariners and get 50%off on cafe but was thinking I'd combine our discount with the beverage card , will they still apply the 4 star Mariners discount?

You can purchase a Beverage Card which can be used in Explorations Café, but you don't get the 4* Mariner discount when you use it. In order to get the Mariner discount you have to use your cabin card for the purchase.

Edited by RuthC