Wines and corkage and bars, Oh my! (Signature Beverage Pkg, Beverage Cards & Corkage)

POA1

I didn't see anything specially labeled gluten free, but I can ask. We noticed the lack of ciders on the menu. They have been running daily white and red sangria specials. It's $4 for the first one and $2 for refills.

Sorry if this is a little dark. It's the beer list. No gluten free options that we can find.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s88/sh/145e58a2-a317-40a1-a78b-43c73ca35fc7/3e308a76f2f64f7a185d7eb6446a55b6

You can always go my favorite gluten free route - Bourbon. :beer:

Thank you so much for double checking. My husband will be disappointed, but not heart broken. He can tolerate gluten just fine and I love sangria so the lack of gluten free beer and ciders is fine by me :D

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy

We are boarding the Eurodam on March 23 after disembarking from the Royal Princess. We were thinking we would get onboard the Eurodam as early as possible and then go buy some wine o bring on board from the Total Wines nearby. Does Holland allow wine to be brought on board other than when you are checking in, or do we need to get the wine purchased first and then board the ship? We have our luggage to deal with going from one ship to another, plus Total Wines doesn't open til noon. Anyone have ideas since we won't have transportation? Thanks so much. Enjoyed your research...

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We are boarding the Eurodam on March 23 after disembarking from the Royal Princess. We were thinking we would get onboard the Eurodam as early as possible and then go buy some wine o bring on board from the Total Wines nearby. Does Holland allow wine to be brought on board other than when you are checking in, or do we need to get the wine purchased first and then board the ship? We have our luggage to deal with going from one ship to another, plus Total Wines doesn't open til noon. Anyone have ideas since we won't have transportation? Thanks so much. Enjoyed your research...

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The wine check in is any time you board, so I would imagine that you can treat Fort Lauderdale as a port stop, and check your wine in as you board.

They have featured wines each night. I'm not sure if they're discounted or not. We're off to dinner in a few minutes, so I will check for you.

I don't have a definitive answer for you, but the MDR wine list has been revised since we boarded. I'll try to get a better comparison when we're in Aruba later today.

This is slightly off topic, but if you have any questions about the Le Cirque dinner, please ask. We've done it before. We've also dined at Le Cirque and Le Cirque 2000. (Even the old Le Cirque in the New York Palace.)

Based on our previous experience, the HAL version is a really nice take on the original. It's also well priced. The $49 supplement on HAL barely covers cocktails, cab, and coat check in Manhattan.

Are you allowed to board, then disembark and reboard on embarkation day? I have always been under the impression that on embarkation day, once you're on, you're on.

Enjoy your cruise. Look forward to hearing all about it on your return. Will do my best to keep us at the front of the pack.

cheers

Ron

I was as well, but you can board, stow your stuff and get back off. Just be back in time for the lifeboat drill.

B. B. King Update - While the band was off last night, the Queens Lounge was converted to karaoke. We spoke to our research assistant (a.k.a. the waitress we usually have for B. B. King,) and she said that the band was not continuing on to Europe.

This is slightly off topic, but if you have any questions about the Le Cirque dinner, please ask. We've done it before. We've also dined at Le Cirque and Le Cirque 2000. (Even the old Le Cirque in the New York Palace.)

Based on our previous experience, the HAL version is a really nice take on the original. It's also well priced. The $49 supplement on HAL barely covers cocktails, cab, and coat check in Manhattan.

Thanks so much for all the infomation you are providing! Not only is it really useful, but also hilarious!!

I would like to heard about the Le Circque dinner. I don't really know what it is. It doesnt include wine pairings, does it?

Thank you for a amusing and educational thread.

Hidden benefit of the SBP - You can avoid the Happy Hour rush. It's 3:45 and people are pouring into the Crows Nest for the 4-5 Happy Hour. It's like we're at Disney World and they're getting ready to drop the ropes. Since I can't take advantage of the Happy Hour pricing on the SBP, I have already beat the crowd to Space Mountain and ridden several times. ;)

Had to laugh, it is the truth. I saw it on my recent cruise on the Ryndam, 4:00 Happy Hour @ the Ocean Bar. Standing room only. Get there early if you want a seat.

Thanks so much for all the infomation you are providing! Not only is it really useful, but also hilarious!!

I would like to heard about the Le Circque dinner. I don't really know what it is. It doesnt include wine pairings, does it?

It's a separate menu in the Pinnacle. The dishes are all from the Le Cirque restaurant menu. I will take a photo of the menu shortly. We're busy conducting experiments at the pool bar and I can't leave my lab equipment for a little while.

It does not include wine, but they do have pairings. We had the them 2 years ago and found them to be worthwhile.

Edited by POA1

Thanks for all your very important scientific research! Once your lab equipment is safely stored, could you give some insight into how corkage fees are tracked?

We're cruising soon and were hoping to stop at Total Wines in FLL after dropping off our bags. When we go to board the ship again, are they going to think we're trying to work the system or will it be noted somewhere that we didn't previously bring any wine aboard? Ditto goes for the MDR, if we pay a corkage fee upon boarding, will we have to pay again in the MDR just so we can consume our wine with dinner? Thanks again!

Here's a link to the full Le Cirque menu:

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s88/sh/bbe5195d-740a-44d1-a088-a7786c76ae9b/de2c8e11d6d3fa8a014c50f771bf7624

They will pair the top two wines by the Glass with your meal, or you can roll your own pairing. Our expedition team will be having J. J. Vincent Pouilly Fiusse Marie Antoinette (2011) and a 2006 Guigal Chateauneuf du Pape for the red. The white is #78 on the 2013 Wines Spectator Top 100 wines and was rated 90 points. The Rhone red was rated 94 by Wine Advocate/Robert Parker. The Guigal is the second best wine we'll be having this week.

We're down to 2 bottles of Champagne and our situation grows desperate. At some point we're going to sample hotel management's complimentary sparklers. We don't have super duper (scientific jargon technical term) high hopes, but we must press on in the name of discovery.

Edited by POA1

We have been pleased with the food quality overall. One thing we noticed is that inflation has taken its toll a bit, particularly on the proteins. As research scientists, we have to keep abreast of all the latest information. This means we know which cuts of meat cost what. We can also eyeball just about any piece of meat, fish, or fowl and tell you the portion size. The protein sizes are down a bit from our last cruise in 2012 and some of the proteins are more "economical." This isn't a complaint. It's just an economic reality. (I was emptying my travel case before the cruise and found a 2008 receipt for premium gas. It was $1.92 and it was from a fill up in Newport, Rhode Island. For those of you from elsewhere, Rhode Island isn't known for low, low petroleum prices.)

The food preparations have been very good and all the meats have been the correct temperature. Sauces and sides have been very nice. The plating has been great considering the number of people served at one time.

Thanks for all your very important scientific research! Once your lab equipment is safely stored, could you give some insight into how corkage fees are tracked?

We're cruising soon and were hoping to stop at Total Wines in FLL after dropping off our bags. When we go to board the ship again, are they going to think we're trying to work the system or will it be noted somewhere that we didn't previously bring any wine aboard? Ditto goes for the MDR, if we pay a corkage fee upon boarding, will we have to pay again in the MDR just so we can consume our wine with dinner? Thanks again!

It would be my absolute pleasure. The reason we do all this original research is to help people.

When you get in line for boarding, you will pass through security. Your carry on bags will be scanned. If you have wine in your bags, you will be directed to a table where you give your stateroom number and show your wine. A sticker was placed on each bottle for which corkage is paid. We paid corkage on everything because we were taking wine with our meals (just like medicine, or vitamins.) When you bring your wine to the dining room, Pinnacle, bar, or stairwell, the wine stewards will see the sticker and know you've paid your corkage.

If you are taking "room bottles," I think you get a different color sticker, but I'm not sure. Your free room bottles cannot be consumed outside your stateroom or you will be charged corkage. (Pretend I typed out the whole carry on policy here and that you followed the rules. I'm a scientist, not a lawyer. ;)

Because the corkage fees are paid prior to check in, you are charged on a paper ticket. You don't have a key card yet and there's no point of sale system in the terminal.

I don't know the answer to the whether or not the system knows that you didn't bring on wine or if you have used your allotment. I would guess that it's something you could handle once you're onboard - either through the front office or with the concierge.

Don't forget that you can browse the Total Wine inventory online. You can also have them pull your order ahead of time if you like. Just a word of caution: If you are choosing specific vintages for your wines - in the name of controlled, scientific research - be sure to check your order carefully. Total Wine will occasionally have a vintage mismatch in their inventory system.

The wine tote bags are in Aisle 1, hanging on the left as you enter the store. Grab them first as I hear that they sell out quickly. They're a deal at $1.99. We purchased 2 for my DSIL who was flying in from NJ. DW and I use a heavy duty shipping box for our expensive wines and the wine tote of awesomeness for everyday stuff. (Expensive is defined as the 6 bottles that cost the most. It could be $700. It could be $49. Depends on the experiments we're running at any given time.)

The wine tote of awesomeness can be found at Amazon. It folds flat for travel, is sturdy and can easily hold Krug bottles which are a bit thicker than regular Champagne bottles. It comes in Gray, Black, Red and Tan.

ZEbag® Ultimate Wine Bottle Carrying Case, Carry up to 6 bottles at once, for use as Bag or Bar Mode, by ZEbag®

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007EZMZRK/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_osGgtb1EM9JA8

We'll post our full equipment list later. I have to give you a reason to come back. :D

Hidden benefit of the SBP - You can avoid the Happy Hour rush. It's 3:45 and people are pouring into the Crows Nest for the 4-5 Happy Hour. It's like we're at Disney World and they're getting ready to drop the ropes. Since I can't take advantage of the Happy Hour pricing on the SBP, I have already beat the crowd to Space Mountain and ridden several times. ;)

For the record, I'm only here because our cabin faces away from land and there's no cellular data signal there.

If you happen to be in the Crow's Nest doing some more research, could you tell Joeland and Nick that we miss them very much. Just tell them that Annemarie (double white russian) and Chris (double CC) say hello.

Thanks so much and appreciate that you are keeping your nose to the grind stone.

Many thanks for your extensive sacrifice and research.

Sorry if you already mentioned this but do you know what their current "house wines" are?

AJ

If you happen to be in the Crow's Nest doing some more research, could you tell Joeland and Nick that we miss them very much. Just tell them that Annemarie (double white russian) and Chris (double CC) say hello.

Thanks so much and appreciate that you are keeping your nose to the grind stone.

Will do. They're at the Lido pool bar as well. Do you prefer that we wait until the Crows Nest? Or can we give them a shout out while we're on the "fish seats?"

Many thanks for your extensive sacrifice and research.

Sorry if you already mentioned this but do you know what their current "house wines" are?

AJ

Scroll back in this thread for house wine coverage. Hopefully I've answered your questions there, but if not, we are willing to repeat any experiments as needed. We've got 2 sea days in a row coming up, so I expect that the lab technicians will be working overtime. :beer:

One question regarding bringing wine on board that has nothing to do with the policy (I understand that!)...

Can you get the glasses and corkscrew from room service or do you need to bring your own? A corkscrew I can definitely do...glasses would be tough to pack. (Or are glasses already in the cabins?)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

B. B. King Update - While the band was off last night, the Queens Lounge was converted to karaoke. We spoke to our research assistant (a.k.a. the waitress we usually have for B. B. King,) and she said that the band was not continuing on to Europe.

That is too bad. Thanks for asking. Perhaps they will have another band for Europe. I will call Seattle and report back.

One question regarding bringing wine on board that has nothing to do with the policy (I understand that!)...

Can you get the glasses and corkscrew from room service or do you need to bring your own? A corkscrew I can definitely do...glasses would be tough to pack. (Or are glasses already in the cabins?)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We're in a Neptune Suite, which has a full compliment of glasses and a corkscrew. I carry my own corkscrew just because I like the double hinge kind and want a sharp foil cutter. From what I've read, not all rooms have a corkscrew, but you can get one from your room steward. If you are short glasses, ask your room attendant or at a bar.

I just got off the phone with Ship Services and she checked the entertainment listing and said that yes, there would be a BB King Blues Club band on the Med sailings of the Noordam this year. Probably a different group of musicians. Good news for us. Thanks for asking.

It would be my absolute pleasure. The reason we do all this original research is to help people.

The wine tote bags are in Aisle 1, hanging on the left as you enter the store. Grab them first as I hear that they sell out quickly. They're a deal at $1.99. We purchased 2 for my DSIL who was flying in from NJ. DW and I use a heavy duty shipping box for our expensive wines and the wine tote of awesomeness for everyday stuff. (Expensive is defined as the 6 bottles that cost the most. It could be $700. It could be $49. Depends on the experiments we're running at any given time.)

Another option is...

Publix, next door to Total Wine, provides a free wine tote with each 4 bottles purchased and if you purchase eight or more bottles they take an additional 10% off. The mixes, Clamato etc cost less at the Publix.