Wines and corkage and bars, Oh my! (Signature Beverage Pkg, Beverage Cards & Corkage)

POA1

For those of you missing the old Caesar, it's back - at least on the Noordam anyway.

That's good stuff, thanks! Enjoy NODM!

Thanks so much for the info!! Hard to really find much on it. We have had this on Carnival and Celebrity and found the packages very different (as were the cruises themselves). Are fancy coffees (with our without alcohol in it) included? How about smoothies?

thanks much in advance!

I'll try to get the coffee drinks and the boozy hot chocolate /cocoa drinks list later today, so watch this space.

I neglected to answer about smoothies. They are indeed included. (Sometimes when we're in the throws of scientific discovery, I miss part of the question.)

POA1 thanks for your ongoing dedication to research :D

Am really looking forward to your report on the caviar -- portion size and quality.

I answered this briefly yesterday, but since I have cellular data today, I'll expand.

The portion size was one full ounce, plenty for two to share. (We could easily eat more, but 1/2 oz each was sufficient.) The quality of caviar was very good and the freshness was very good as well. It was Osetra. For reference, we get a fair amount of caviar from Browne Trading in Portland, Maine when we are at our summer home in Maine. This caviar was just as good as what we get there. We may have it again later in the cruise.

All in all, I would recommend it. Just make sure that you let them know you expect the full caviar setup. DW wasn't wild about the blinis. She prefers the ones our friend makes. Of course our friend is a classically trained pastry chef who has been on Chopped, Best Thing I Ever Ate, and the Travel Channel's "Food Paradise." so the comparison might be a little unfair.

Just clarifying on when to buy. In port there is tax added on (I assume it will be the same for Seattle departures), but if I get it once we are underway no extra tax? Where do you buy it - bar, guest services, dinner server?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They don't charge tax on the card, but some ports charge tax on the drinks sold in port. Fort Lauderdale is one of those ports.

You can buy the cards in any bar during the first two days, or you can purchase them prior to sailing via the HAL website.

Thanks for your frequent informative updates. Would you be able to find out if the BB King entertainment is continuing on the Noordam through the spring/summer Med season. Thanks again

The current lineup finishes when the NODM does its transatlantic at the end of the month. I'll see if I can get an answer for you later today.

IMHO, the B. B. King club is one of the best things HAL's done in a while. Our dedicated team of researchers ranges from 42 to 50 years of age and we all like it. It's a nice addition to the entertainment. There are 3 sets a night, 45 minutes per set.

I know it's a little loud for some people's tastes, but it's not anywhere as loud as a rock concert or Miami nightclub. There are plenty of varied music offerings and I would think that there's something for most everyone with the possible exception of country music fans.

Thank you so much for posting your research about what hard liquor is available! Now I have my Birding List and my Liquor Drinking list. Don't know how I could be more ready. I haven't drunk/drank a lot of hard liquors so I should be able to mark many off my "Life List" on my up coming HAL trip. I have the Explore4 promo as well, so this will be a wonderful opportunity. I suppose I should try to get in drinking shape though - just like I'm trying to work out on the "Total Gym" for our kayak shore excursion...

Enjoy the rest of your cruise POA1!:)

I meant to tell you this yesterday, but we laughed out loud when we read "birding list." That's brilliant!

Did you sleuth out the carafe answer? I'm hoping for yes since others have said it's different wine than the house wine by the glass. I tried that merlot once and it was vile! Hope you are enjoying your research mission...it's both informative and entertaining to read!

I've gotten conflicting information n the carafe question. DW and I did sample all four of the still wines by the glass when we had lunch in the Pinnacle yesterday.

I'll write up a separate post on the wines by the glass, and I'm sure it will set off a firestorm of sorts because we found that they were all acceptable and actually pretty darn good.

Ok - Just for clarification. I can bring two bottles of wine on without a corkage fee automatically going to the room, correct? I plan to drink these in the room. Thanks.

Yes. That is correct.

Thanks for the answers! I would either be getting a $250 beverage card to cover all or the SBP - no * just* soda here! :)

I could get either of those on board, right? Would I get them at any bar? Guest services?

Again, thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

From the bar. I would pick a less busy bar though and would not try to buy it during happy hour.* There could be all sorts of scientific research going on and you wouldn't want to slow down this important work while they made up your cards.* :D

Screech.... Rewind.... It's back?? This would make me happy :)

OK folks on other dam ships- time to assist in POA1's research. We need to find out if this is only Noordam! Have been hoping the new menu is a "work in progress"

Yes indeed. The tables I've Caesar was back. However, the restaurant was packed so it was more like "across the room from the table-side" preparation.

DW had both the MDR and PG Caesar and said that the PG one was better. To be honest, I was looking forward to the deconstructed version. Clearly, I am in the minority, so I am happy for everyone else who likes their old school steak house Caesar.

No return of Steak Diane. Want to make yourself depressed? Read the Steak Diane entry in Wikipedia.

On the EXPOLRE 4 SBC - the gratuity is included, right?

When you buy the package, the 15% is added on to the $44.95 per day cost.

That said, we almost always tip our bartenders, waiters, waitresses, and wine stewards extra as we go. We find that getting immediate service really helps keep the research moving at the pace we need for our breakthrough discoveries. In the rare cases we do not tip extra, it's usually for just so-so service.

Bear in mind that your bar bills and the SBP are auto-gratted, so the choice of whether or not to tip extra is entirely up to the individual guest.

When you buy the package, the 15% is added on to the $44.95 per day cost.

That said, we almost always tip our bartenders, waiters, waitresses, and wine stewards extra as we go. We find that getting immediate service really helps keep the research moving at the pace we need for our breakthrough discoveries. In the rare cases we do not tip extra, it's usually for just so-so service.

Bear in mind that your bar bills and the SBP are auto-gratted, so the choice of whether or not to tip extra is entirely up to the individual guest.

Maybe if you tip extra, you won't have to share credit for your research project once it's published. :)

Trish

I've gotten conflicting information n the carafe question. DW and I did sample all four of the still wines by the glass when we had lunch in the Pinnacle yesterday.

I'll write up a separate post on the wines by the glass, and I'm sure it will set off a firestorm of sorts because we found that they were all acceptable and actually pretty darn good.

Good to know. I may have to give them another shot! Thanks for the info.

Maybe if you tip extra, you won't have to share credit for your research project once it's published. :)

Trish

We're just hoping that they don't leak our research. :D We consider our bar staff to be "our esteemed colleagues and research fellows."

Here's the carafe answer.

You can get both the wine by the glass wines and some additional selections that are not available by the glass when you order a carafe.

The current lineup finishes when the NODM does its transatlantic at the end of the month. I'll see if I can get an answer for you later today.

IMHO, the B. B. King club is one of the best things HAL's done in a while. Our dedicated team of researchers ranges from 42 to 50 years of age and we all like it. It's a nice addition to the entertainment. There are 3 sets a night, 45 minutes per set.

I know it's a little loud for some people's tastes, but it's not anywhere as loud as a rock concert or Miami nightclub. There are plenty of varied music offerings and I would think that there's something for most everyone with the possible exception of country music fans.

I understand that BB King entertainment is moving onto the Westerdam where they will be until it goes into drydock at the end of March.

Rockfan2

Wines by the Glass -

We're a little surprised that the wines by the glass don't include Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Noir. They're the two most obvious pairings and you can cover almost every dish. Anywho...

We tried the Pinot Grigio, Chardonnay, Merlot, and Cabernet Sauvignon at lunch yesterday. All but the Pinot Grigio were Santa Carolina from Chile. If I recall, the Pinot Grigio was De la Venzie (sp?)

The Pinot Grigio was fine. Bright, crisp with nice acidity. It's rare to find a Pinot Grigio that's bad. It's also rare to find one that's excellent. This one should score in the mid 80s.

The Chardonnay was good to very good. Score it on the high side of the mid 80s. One note though, if you prefer an oaky Chard, this one may not be for you. I doubt that they did a malolactic fermentation. On the other hand, if you like your Chardonnay fermented in stainless, this is probably a good wine for your tastes.

As a preemptive strike for the people who are inevitably going to say that they the house wines are undrinkable - If you would be so kind as to let us know what you drink in your day to day life, we'd appreciate it. To us, undrinkable wine is either corked, sour, or poorly made. These were none of the above.

Reds to follow. We're pausing for sipping time. That's where we check our lab equipment, calibrate the machinery, and other important sciency stuff.

Any information you can find out regarding whether they will continue BB King Club into Med this year would be great. My husband is a musician so I know he would really enjoy it. They may switch musicians for the Med season but really hoping that the sessions continue through that season. Thanks again

Here's the carafe answer.

You can get both the wine by the glass wines and some additional selections that are not available by the glass when you order a carafe.

Thanks for the answer! Enjoy the rest of your research project.

Wines by the Glass -

We're a little surprised that the wines by the glass don't include Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Noir. They're the two most obvious pairings and you can cover almost every dish. Anywho...

We tried the Pinot Grigio, Chardonnay, Merlot, and Cabernet Sauvignon at lunch yesterday. All but the Pinot Grigio were Santa Carolina from Chile. If I recall, the Pinot Grigio was De la Venzie (sp?)

The Pinot Grigio was fine. Bright, crisp with nice acidity. It's rare to find a Pinot Grigio that's bad. It's also rare to find one that's excellent. This one should score in the mid 80s.

The Chardonnay was good to very good. Score it on the high side of the mid 80s. One note though, if you prefer an oaky Chard, this one may not be for you. I doubt that they did a malolactic fermentation. On the other hand, if you like your Chardonnay fermented in stainless, this is probably a good wine for your tastes.

As a preemptive strike for the people who are inevitably going to say that they the house wines are undrinkable - If you would be so kind as to let us know what you drink in your day to day life, we'd appreciate it. To us, undrinkable wine is either corked, sour, or poorly made. These were none of the above.

Reds to follow. We're pausing for sipping time. That's where we check our lab equipment, calibrate the machinery, and other important sciency stuff.

Thank you, great info. I bought some of the Santa Carolina chardonnay to try it and did not care for it. I wouldn't call it undrinkable (like you, it has to be corked, sour, or poorly made for me to call it undrinkable) :D But I do prefer an oaky chardonnay. I will try to find some of the pinot grigio you mentioned. All for the sake of science, of course. :D

Any information you can find out regarding whether they will continue BB King Club into Med this year would be great. My husband is a musician so I know he would really enjoy it. They may switch musicians for the Med season but really hoping that the sessions continue through that season. Thanks again

I heard (can't remember where now) that they will be on our Baltic cruise this summer (Eurodam). Waiting for the answer too!

My understanding is that they have several different "bands" on different ships and that each band sails together for the length of their contract. The current band on the Noordam consists of a tenor sax, trumpet, bass guitar, lead guitar, keyboards, and drums. The drummer is the musical director. There is a featured male vocalist as well as a featured female vocalist. Pretty much everyone but the horns sings backup. The lead guitarist is a very solid singer himself and had a few numbers so far. We've seen several sets and they have yet to repeat a song. DSIL was talking to the trumpeter who said that this was "the best gig ever."

Barry from Boston is in the Piano Brand he has a pretty good following. We haven't seen any of the production numbers (DBIL is allergic.) We caught the comedian a few nights ago. DW keeps the room tidy, which means that I can't look up his name in the program as it was thrown out.

Reds by the Glass:

There is a Merlot and a Cabernet Sauvignon. Both were fine. Of the reds, I think the Cab was stronger, but I didn't have any complaints.

I'll pause for a moment to look up the expert ratings and report back shortly.