Wines and corkage and bars, Oh my! (Signature Beverage Pkg, Beverage Cards & Corkage)

POA1

The wine check in process is pretty straightforward. It's a desk after security but before you get your key. They sticker your wine and write a ticket to charge your corkage. If you have one bottle or less per person, you bypass the wine check in.

We saw very few people checking wine and got more than a couple of "stink eyes" when people saw four of us carrying six bottles each. I suppose that's the cross we bear in our pursuit of science.

Bottom line: You are required to carry your wine all the way to your cabin. The check in process is quick and easy. They do not log in your individual wines. They just take a count.

Did they mark your bottles in any way to show you had paid corkage?

I don't know if it helps the scientists - but the Signature Beverage Package is now on the halfacts.com website (on the general page).

If you don't have it bookmarked - just look at my signature and click the link

Umm, excuse me, but, I just rescued this thread from page 2. :eek:

Wouldn't you think that a true "investigative reporter" such as POA1 would post frequently enough to keep the thread on page 1? :p

(Ooohhh, I forgot..... they're working their way through two cases of wine!) :)

My bad! :D

How can I find a list of drinks particularly wine under $7 per glass?

Thanks

if you go to halfacts.com (link is in my signature) and to the General page, you will find bar menus with the drink prices including the wines. There isn't much to choose from for a glass of wine that is under $7 - only the house wines. Other drinks - there is quite a selection.

Thank you all for volunteering for such a dangerous mission. You are to be commended for your bravery and willingness to do this all in the name of research.:D

We look forward with great anticipation to see your final analysis of the great scientific experiment.

Barbara

Previous Cruises

Alaska - Westerdam - September 2009 - 7 days

Alaska - Rotterdam - September 2010 - 7 days

Mexican Riviera - Oosterdam - April 2011 - 7 days

Alaska - Amsterdam - September 2012 - 14 days

Please accept my apologies for not posting an update since we left port; We have been knees-deep in research and you know how scientists are... They say that Thomas Edison went days without eating and sleeping when he was working on his inventions. We're like that, except we go days without posting. Posting should pick up a little more once we hit Grand Turk and I can post from my cell phone. (We love you guys and we are dedicated, but not 55-cents-a-minute-for-satellite-internet dedicated.

Rather than post individual responses, I'll try to answer your questions in bulk, starting with your User Name.

BlueMoon3669:

We paid corkage on 20 bottles and took 4 as our "free" wines.(2 couples, 2 staterooms.) We picked 4 wines that we might consume in the room. If we take those to the dinner, we can pay our corkage using our $50 cards.

I doubt that they will refund your corkage for unused bottles, but I will ask. The unused bottles question isn't stupid at all. It isn't going to happen in our case, but it's certainly a valid query.

jackom:

All of the "Signature Drinks" and Drinks of the Day are $6.95. There are two house whites: a Chardonnay and a Pinot Grigio. There are two house reds, Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon. There's also a Prosecco is you want some bubbles. We'll taste them for you - in the interest of scientific discovery of course. We'll probably do that tomorrow at lunch, since we have our bottles for dinner. (Also, 14 of our 24 wines are from the Wine Spectator Top 100 of either 2012 or 2013 and all of them are rated 9o points or higher, so it's not fair to compare the house wines to them.)

In terms of liquor, you have a wide selection. It had been reported that you couldn't get a mixed drink with a call brand, but that's not true. If you want a Jack Daniels and ginger ale, a Bacardi and Coke, Grey Goose and Tonic, or something similar you are covered. You cannot change the liquor in the Signature Drinks or things like Margaritas.

Almost every beer is covered, but I will have to check on Grolsch as I am unsure.

There is a late harvest Sauvignon Blanc and a port or two for dessert wine drinkers.

I'll see if there is a convient way to upload photos of the lists from my phone once we get to shore.

All:

Your choice of whether or not you should purchase the SBP should be based on both what you like to drink and how much you drink. Break even for regular alcohol drinkers is 7 cocktails. For beer drinkers, you need to hit 11.

I've seen reports that the bar staff is not wild about the SBP, but we haven't encountered any issues. It could be because we usually tip extra as we go. It could be because we're awesomely nice people. Or, it could be that the bar staff respects our important, ground breaking research. (Who am I kidding? It's because of George and Abe.)

Very informative! You all are working so hard! Great work! Thanks to all of you for your great sacrifice to the greater good!

Seriously though...thank you so much. I enjoy your humor and your "reporting" is fun as well as invaluable.

Thank you again, this is great research :D

One question from me -- I've heard conflicting information about whether they will allow us to pay the difference if the drink costs more than $7. Some have said yes, some no -- and I'm thinking it will be like most things, and depend on the ship, the cruise, etc. etc. Would like to know what your experience is. Thanks!

Thank you again, this is great research :D

One question from me -- I've heard conflicting information about whether they will allow us to pay the difference if the drink costs more than $7. Some have said yes, some no -- and I'm thinking it will be like most things, and depend on the ship, the cruise, etc. etc. Would like to know what your experience is. Thanks!

Sadly, the answer is no. I normally drink Maker's Mark which is $7.95, so I switched to Jim Beam instead. Other options would have been Jack Daniels (not a Bourbon) or Wild Turkey since those are below the cutoff.

Noordam-Wines-20140228.jpg

Raise your glass and toast -- to science!

As a part of your scientific research, would you share your ratings of those wines you brought on board? Any you'd bring several bottles of next cruise? any you'd skip?

Looking forward to all of your posts!

Edited by travelinjones

As a part of your scientific research, would you share your ratings of those wines you brought on board? Any you'd bring several bottles of next cruise? any you'd skip?

Looking forward to all of your posts!

Sure. I'll have to wait until I am back at my computer though.

Thanks for sharing.

This list makes us crazy -- $10.50 for a glass of a $7/bottle of Meridian Pinot Noiir that you could buy in most any grocery or corner store?

That's why we always buy bring our own wines -- just would like to see a more creative wine list.

As I don't care for the house wine my understanding is that the carafe is better quality. I think it is still $14.00. So our esteemed researchers - here's a dumb question - do you think they would let us use both beverage cards to split the cost of the carafe? I'm pretty sure the answer is no unfortunately.

But you can't blame anyone for asking can you :p:D;)

As I don't care for the house wine my understanding is that the carafe is better quality. I think it is still $14.00. So our esteemed researchers - here's a dumb question - do you think they would let us use both beverage cards to split the cost of the carafe? I'm pretty sure the answer is no unfortunately.

But you can't blame anyone for asking can you :p:D;)

I don't know the answer to the carafe question, but I will ask tonight. I imagine we'll get a funny look given that we will be toting a red and a white to dinner, but it's a good question and one that deserves an answer.

I don't know if carafes are a different wine than the by the glass pours, but I will check.

Sadly, the answer is no. I normally drink Maker's Mark which is $7.95, so I switched to Jim Beam instead. Other options would have been Jack Daniels (not a Bourbon) or Wild Turkey since those are below the cutoff.

Well shoot. Thanks for the quick response. :)

We are a party of three, sailing on the Statendam to Alaska in August. We realize that only the package does not apply to the third in a suite, but can drinks be purchased for other guests, or only for the cardholder ? ( we do have the Explore4 promo )

Marilyn

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are a party of three, sailing on the Statendam to Alaska in August. We realize that only the package does not apply to the third in a suite, but can drinks be purchased for other guests, or only for the cardholder ? ( we do have the Explore4 promo )

Marilyn

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Technically, the drinks are only supposed to be for the card holder. In practice though, I don’t know how they would check.

I don't know the answer to the carafe question, but I will ask tonight. I imagine we'll get a funny look given that we will be toting a red and a white to dinner, but it's a good question and one that deserves an answer.

I don't know if carafes are a different wine than the by the glass pours, but I will check.

Thank you - you can use the excuse that if you could you wouldn't be bringing your wines - LOL. Yes, they are definitely different wine in the carafe and far superior to the glass house wine (just in case that helps anyone else).

Really appreciate the investigative reporting. Should we call you Columbo:p:D

Wine Packages - Here's the Evernote share link. I shot these using Camscanner for Android.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s88/sh/46d20e80-dfdd-46d8-8a55-8d8a27cba518/3de926b8006769340a4dcf167701b297

KAZU - Feel free to use these PDFs on your site. Just download them from the Evernote server.

I took them in the Neptune, so the light wasn't great. If they're too dark, let me know and I can reshoot them later.

Edited by POA1

Wine Packages - Here's the Evernote share link. I shot these using Camscanner for Android.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s88/sh/46d20e80-dfdd-46d8-8a55-8d8a27cba518/3de926b8006769340a4dcf167701b297

KAZU - Feel free to use these PDFs on your site. Just download them from the Evernote server.

I took them in the Neptune, so the light wasn't great. If they're too dark, let me know and I can reshoot them later.

Now I see the l link. I don't take anything off cruise critic without permission to pictures@halfacts.com. (It's called CYA - LOL - we are making sure that we have permission for everything). just email us when you get home and give us permission please. And please don't forget your cabin :) We need as much info as we can get. thank you so much for thinking of the website. It is really appreciated.

Edited by kazu

Here are the liquor choices that are under the $7 limit:

VODKA:

Smirnoff, Absolut, Absolut Mandarin, Citron, and Vanilla, Finland, Sky, Sky Pineapple, Stolichnaya, Tanqueray Sterling, Ketel One, Vox, Grey Goose, Grey Goose Le' Orange, Citron, Pear.

Over Limit: Chopin, Belvedere.

RUM:

Bacardi White, Gold, Limon, Raspberry, Cruzan, Meyer's Dark, Malibu, Captain Morgan, Gosling's, Appleton.

Over limit: None

TEQUILA:

Cuervo, Cuervo Gold

Over Limit: Cabo Wabo Silver, Cabo Wabo Repasado, All the Patron

CANADIAN & IRISH WHISKEY:

Seagrave VO, Canadian Club, Seagrave 7, Crown Royal, Jameson Irish

More to follow later. My ice is melting.