Wines and corkage and bars, Oh my! (Signature Beverage Pkg, Beverage Cards & Corkage)

POA1

And the expert reviewers say...

I culled these from Wine Spectator & Wine Advocate. I'm in the middle of in depth investigation into the spirits made famous by Don Facundo Bacardi - but not the fruity ones, just the regular rums.

The Santa Carolina Chardonnay rates 87 points - Very good. The Merlot is 83 points - Good. The Cabernet Sauvignon they're pouring now scored 89 points, Very Good. The Pinot Grigio is Danzante at 83 points.

I had the label for the Pinot Grigio wrong before. For that I apologize and beg your forgiveness. :(

If we hadn't been able to bring on wine and pay corkage, we certainly could have made due with HAL's offerings.

POA1

In 2 months time we will be sailing our first HAL cruise on Ryndam

It will be a different situation for us as previous cruises have included drinks

Are the wines you have just mentioned part of SBP or able to be purchased by carafe or individually

Still trying to work out the best fit for us regarding this important part of a cruise

We don't want to have to carry wine onboard so in your expert opinion what would you suggest is the best way to go.-We would be OK with wines you have just commented on

Have to start the day with early morning coffee and we will be in a Neptune and don't completely understand what is/isn't included

Also is coffee included at mealtimes or do we need to pay for these each time

Hoping you can spend some time from your research to answer this

Thank you

My understanding is that they have several different "bands" on different ships and that each band sails together for the length of their contract. The current band on the Noordam consists of a tenor sax, trumpet, bass guitar, lead guitar, keyboards, and drums. The drummer is the musical director. There is a featured male vocalist as well as a featured female vocalist. Pretty much everyone but the horns sings backup. The lead guitarist is a very solid singer himself and had a few numbers so far. We've seen several sets and they have yet to repeat a song. DSIL was talking to the trumpeter who said that this was "the best gig ever."

Barry from Boston is in the Piano Brand he has a pretty good following. We haven't seen any of the production numbers (DBIL is allergic.) We caught the comedian a few nights ago. DW keeps the room tidy, which means that I can't look up his name in the program as it was thrown out.

Sounds excellent. I hope you can find out if there is another group for the Med sailings of the Noordam this spring/summer. Enjoy!

POA1

In 2 months time we will be sailing our first HAL cruise on Ryndam

It will be a different situation for us as previous cruises have included drinks

Are the wines you have just mentioned part of SBP or able to be purchased by carafe or individually

Still trying to work out the best fit for us regarding this important part of a cruise

We don't want to have to carry wine onboard so in your expert opinion what would you suggest is the best way to go.-We would be OK with wines you have just commented on

Have to start the day with early morning coffee and we will be in a Neptune and don't completely understand what is/isn't included

Also is coffee included at mealtimes or do we need to pay for these each time

Hoping you can spend some time from your research to answer this

Thank you

Everything I mentioned can be purchased individually as well. Scroll back in this post and you should be able to find the entire wine list, including all of the per glass and per carafe choices.

Regular coffee and decaf is included. The coffee up charge is for espresso, cappuccino and Latte. If you are in a Neptune Suite, you can get any of the coffees listed above plus regular coffee in the Neptune lounge.

In addition to the wines on the list, there are also wine packages that allow you to buy 3, 5 or 7 bottles at a discount. Again, there is a link to a scan of those packages earlier in this thread.

The SBP would only seem to make sense if you know that you're going to drink a fair amount of paid beverages. It also makes less economic sense on a port intensive voyage because you'd be off the ship for the better part of the day most days.

The SBP also makes less sense if your drink of choice isn't less than $7. My normal cocktail is Maker's Mark Bourbon on the rocks. It's $7.95 and not covered. I still have options, but not my first choice.

Try to figure out what you normally can expect to consume in a day. Factor in $3.25 for liters of water and a couple of dollars for specialty coffees if you like the barrista-made Starbucks style coffees in the Explorations cafe.

Sounds excellent. I hope you can find out if there is another group for the Med sailings of the Noordam this spring/summer. Enjoy!

You can also probably check with HAL HQ in Seattle. They should have the schedule too.

Not that I won't check for you... But I just don't know how much the band members will know, especially if the med cruises aren't part of their personal contract.

Ok - Just for clarification. I can bring two bottles of wine on without a corkage fee automatically going to the room, correct? I plan to drink these in the room. Thanks.

One bottle per person...not two.

Ok - Just for clarification. I can bring two bottles of wine on without a corkage fee automatically going to the room, correct? I plan to drink these in the room. Thanks.

Yes. That is correct.

Again, that is NOT correct.

The rule is each adult (who has reached the age of 21) in the cabin may bring aboard ONE bottle of wine (not TWO) without paying corkage.

There can be as few as one, or as many as four bottles without charge for any given cabin.

I can't begin to tell you how much enjoyment you have provided me with all your scientific research. What fun to read a very humorous, insightful, & informative dialogue on this very important project.

As my cruise is upcoming and I have the Explore 4 pkg. I will be boarding the ship full of knowledge and insight..thank you!!

I do realize you have taken personal time on this quest, you have unraveled for many of us the mysteries of the often confusing pkgs. you are completing your mission in first class style.

As I am not there in person to toast you on your fine research I have just opened a fine bottle of red, decanted, poured and give you a clink of my glass...continue on my friend.:)

I can't begin to tell you how much enjoyment you have provided me with all your scientific research. What fun to read a very humorous, insightful, & informative dialogue on this very important project.

As my cruise is upcoming and I have the Explore 4 pkg. I will be boarding the ship full of knowledge and insight..thank you!!

I do realize you have taken personal time on this quest, you have unraveled for many of us the mysteries of the often confusing pkgs. you are completing your mission in first class style.

As I am not there in person to toast you on your fine research I have just opened a fine bottle of red, decanted, poured and give you a clink of my glass...continue on my friend.:)

This made me smile...I so agree and I feel a bit sad that I am not sailing with POA AND COMPANY....they sound like a hoot! :p

Sipping time is over. Continuing our saga...

I'll finish later. One of my lab experiments just arrived and needs my immediate attention.

I appreciate your effort in the name of science. And I am laughing out loud.

We lost the Explore 4 when we switched our Mediterranean booking from Nieuw Amsterdam to Noordam, but we got the other promo, which actually suits us better. (We got 10% off most of our shorex.)

Wines by the Glass -

We tried the Pinot Grigio, Chardonnay, Merlot, and Cabernet Sauvignon at lunch yesterday. All but the Pinot Grigio were Santa Carolina from Chile. If I recall, the Pinot Grigio was De la Venzie (sp?)

The Pinot Grigio was fine. Bright, crisp with nice acidity. It's rare to find a Pinot Grigio that's bad. It's also rare to find one that's excellent. This one should score in the mid 80s.

The house pinot grigio that we have encountered on the last few cruises has the label of Zonin. "Delle Venezia" on the label is simply Italian for "from Venice." I believe it is an attempt of the Venetian area vintners to capture their heritage -- like Chianti, which is originally from Tuscano (Tuscany), it seems the Venetians have a similar heritage and were the first to take the skins off the pinot grapes to make a crisp, light white wine. Like chianti, other wine labels (such as Gallo) make pinot grigio, but Venice is where it is the "house" wine.

We find the Zonin to be a good wine -- it is very light, in the Italian style, and has NO oak, which we do not like. And, I happen to know, of about a week's ago experience, that it costs $22 per bottle, plus 15% of course. :D The by-glass price was $5.50.

BTW, do you need associate researchers? I'm booked on Amsterdam in August, and am willing to do my part for science and the advancement of human knowledge ...

Dave

Edited by RetiredMustang

i can't begin to tell you how much enjoyment you have provided me with all your scientific research. What fun to read a very humorous, insightful, & informative dialogue on this very important project.

as my cruise is upcoming and i have the explore 4 pkg. I will be boarding the ship full of knowledge and insight..thank you!!

i do realize you have taken personal time on this quest, you have unraveled for many of us the mysteries of the often confusing pkgs. You are completing your mission in first class style.

as i am not there in person to toast you on your fine research i have just opened a fine bottle of red, decanted, poured and give you a clink of my glass...continue on my friend.:)

here here!

POA1,

Thank you! for putting life back into the CC posts/boards Its been along time since I have read <entertaining/very useful> information on CC :D I've really enjoyed reading your posts.

Edited by shandryl

Again, that is NOT correct.

The rule is each adult (who has reached the age of 21) in the cabin may bring aboard ONE bottle of wine (not TWO) without paying corkage.

There can be as few as one, or as many as four bottles without charge for any given cabin.

My bad Sheila. I assumed double occupancy and therefore 2 bottles.

Just knowing that you are sitting there, glass in hand, makes our entire research project worthwhile.

Salut!

This made me smile...I so agree and I feel a bit sad that I am not sailing with POA AND COMPANY....they sound like a hoot! :p

Thanks so much! We are fun, if I may toot my own horn.

I appreciate your effort in the name of science. And I am laughing out loud.

We lost the Explore 4 when we switched our Mediterranean booking from Nieuw Amsterdam to Noordam, but we got the other promo, which actually suits us better. (We got 10% off most of our shorex.)

As I've said, everyone should pick the promo that best suits them. We're just glad that we can help you make informed decisions.

The house pinot grigio that we have encountered on the last few cruises has the label of Zonin. "Delle Venezia" on the label is simply Italian for "from Venice." I believe it is an attempt of the Venetian area vintners to capture their heritage -- like Chianti, which is originally from Tuscano (Tuscany), it seems the Venetians have a similar heritage and were the first to take the skins off the pinot grapes to make a crisp, light white wine. Like chianti, other wine labels (such as Gallo) make pinot grigio, but Venice is where it is the "house" wine.

We find the Zonin to be a good wine -- it is very light, in the Italian style, and has NO oak, which we do not like. And, I happen to know, of about a week's ago experience, that it costs $22 per bottle, plus 15% of course. :D The by-glass price was $5.50.

BTW, do you need associate researchers? I'm booked on Amsterdam in August, and am willing to do my part for science and the advancement of human knowledge ...

Dave

Dave - We really enjoyed your reports, the recent one from the Ryndam and your previous cruises.

We can only hope that others can carry on the voyage of discovery where we leave off.

Cheers to you, my excellent friend.

Thank you, great info. I bought some of the Santa Carolina chardonnay to try it and did not care for it. I wouldn't call it undrinkable (like you, it has to be corked, sour, or poorly made for me to call it undrinkable) :D But I do prefer an oaky chardonnay. I will try to find some of the pinot grigio you mentioned. All for the sake of science, of course. :D

Just make sure it's the second one I mentioned. I got it wrong in the first post. (In my defense, I *had* been drinking. Out of scientific necessity of course.)