Visitors on board

sinclair

Hi All !

I am about to mail my request to HA headquarters (!) back in Seattle.

I obtain all the necessary infos (i think so) but...

to whom I have to mail this accreditation to have a follow up ?

Which rank, position in the structure of the enterprise (like manager of…) ?

Thank you for your answers at this time, I hope I'll be able to offer this special invitation to my elderly and loving parents.

Holacanada live from Quebec city !

Looks like you may not be able to have your parents on board..

Copper 10-8 is a HAL crew Member & suggest you read all his posts on this thread..

Quote from Copper's post

"Again, this is not being done on the 7-day/10-day/12-day routine voyages to the Carib, Alaska, Canada/NE, Mexico, etc.

It's up to the Captain's discretion"

Princess has a program- "Bon Voyage Experience" that I believe is about $35 per person. You board early, are given a tour and includes lunch in the dining room. I believe you are free to "explore" after the initial tour.

Friends did this and said they boarded about the same time as a wedding party boarding and boarded as a group.

I know this won't help you on HAL but in future it is an option for a "bon voyage" party.

I remember when each passenger got 6 visitor passes with their documents. If you needed more just needed to call HAL and ask. I'm kinda glad they don't do it anymore actually as boarding day was an absolute zoo- add several visitors to many of the passengers and it was hard to move around (forget getting an elevator).

Princess has a program- "Bon Voyage Experience" that I believe is about $35 per person. You board early, are given a tour and includes lunch in the dining room. I believe you are free to "explore" after the initial tour.

Friends did this and said they boarded about the same time as a wedding party boarding and boarded as a group.

I know this won't help you on HAL but in future it is an option for a "bon voyage" party.

I remember when each passenger got 6 visitor passes with their documents. If you needed more just needed to call HAL and ask. I'm kinda glad they don't do it anymore actually as boarding day was an absolute zoo- add several visitors to many of the passengers and it was hard to move around (forget getting an elevator).

I agree.

I'm happy HAL no longer permits guests to bring their family and friends for Bon Voyage parties. Chaos.

During one cruise we were permitted to have visitors visit us on board, after filling in the Visitor Request form, and enclosing a photo copy of their passport information. This was at a port of call.

During another cruise we requested our Travel Agent visit on board, the request was denied.

During our last cruise, fellow passengers were able to have family members visit on board during the port call at Honolulu. The grandchildren enjoyed the burgers and ice cream at lunchtime.

Do they still do this? I looked but couldn't find it on their website.

Please let us know how your request goes. From HAL's website:

Are Visitors Allowed On Board?

Holland America, upon evaluation of customer and security concerns, has implemented a "no visitor" policy and regrets any inconvenience this may cause. However, friends may easily arrange to send an onboard gift directly to your stateroom. Or you may throw a party of your own for fellow guests.

Is this another HAL policy that is not consistently enforced?

The Captain does have the discretion to make the decision once you are on board, that is within his remit. The details necessary mentioned by copper are correct. You may get a 'no' answer from Seattle, based purely on overall policy, but once on board the Captain can make his own decision.

The problem is not so much from the ships side, it's all a routine involving the Security Officer and paperwork.

The slightly more difficult aspect can be ensuring that names are submitted to the 'Ships/Port Agent' for access to the port, depending on the port this needs to be done anything from 7 days to 24 hours before. With a strict port, if your name is not on the correct approved list, no matter what the Captain does, you will not be able to access the port.

So submit a polite request the minute you get on board with the necessary information, and hope for the best. (Easiest way would be to include photocopies of their ID's passports btw). The good Captains will honour the request, as long as the GRM is supportive and doesn't block it. The less supportive staff... well that's the same as anywhere to be honest... But they are few and far between in HAL thankfully.

I doubt short of getting married onboard you could get get visitors aboard at the embarkation port.

Once you sail it is up to the ship's officers. My parents were allowed onboard in Los Angeles at a port stop. They joined us in the dining room for lunch (we were charged for their lunches). Granted it was a while back but still well after the "no visitors" policy went into effect.

Edited by frankc98376

The Captain does have the discretion to make the decision once you are on board, that is within his remit. The details necessary mentioned by copper are correct. You may get a 'no' answer from Seattle, based purely on overall policy, but once on board the Captain can make his own decision.

The problem is not so much from the ships side, it's all a routine involving the Security Officer and paperwork.

The slightly more difficult aspect can be ensuring that names are submitted to the 'Ships/Port Agent' for access to the port, depending on the port this needs to be done anything from 7 days to 24 hours before. With a strict port, if your name is not on the correct approved list, no matter what the Captain does, you will not be able to access the port.

So submit a polite request the minute you get on board with the necessary information, and hope for the best. (Easiest way would be to include photocopies of their ID's passports btw). The good Captains will honour the request, as long as the GRM is supportive and doesn't block it. The less supportive staff... well that's the same as anywhere to be honest... But they are few and far between in HAL thankfully.

Funny but there was an occassion with which I am familiar where the permission was actually granted by Staff Captain (Chief Officer at the time). We were guests of the Captain but the Staff Captain gave the approval. :)

I called HAL several years ago (after 9/11)and was given permission to visit a 5 star mariner while the Veendam was in port in NYC. They could see I was also a mariner and had to supply my passport, birth date, etc. It took several weeks before I heard back that the visit had been confirmed.

Funny but there was an occassion with which I am familiar where the permission was actually granted by Staff Captain (Chief Officer at the time). We were guests of the Captain but the Staff Captain gave the approval. :)

Staff Captain signs the request form which then goes to the SO who inputs the visitor's info in the computer for the visitors list. Captain has the last word

Staff Captain signs the request form which then goes to the SO who inputs the visitor's info in the computer for the visitors list. Captain has the last word

Aha...... a wealth of information and we thank you. :)

I knew Staff Captain was in the mix somewhere.

Good the Captain approved the visitation of his guests. :)

• 1 month later...

Thank you to everyone for your information and help.

It was a success and I was able to invite 7 family members on board for lunch in Jakarta even though I had less than 48 hours to submit my request.

There were many other family members and friends of the crew on board that day also and a good time was had by all.

It was a success and I was able to invite 7 family members on board for lunch in Jakarta even though I had less than 48 hours to submit my request.

There were many other family members and friends of the crew on board that day also and a good time was had by all.

Thank you for coming back and letting us know the results.

I am glad you were able to have your family members come aboard and that it was such a nice visit for you.

Edited by NMLady

Am pleased that you were given permission for the on board visit of family members.

Thanks for letting us know.