Rccl phasing out library rooms?

Their are 2 ships that I know off that have no longer have library rooms. The Brillance is one. And when the Vision had their revitalization last fall, they put cabins in place of the library. The "library" is now on a small wall near the shops

I wonder how many more ships will follow this trend?

Libraries do not produce revenue so RCCL has begun phasing them out on some of its smaller ships. Rarely ever see anyone actually sitting in the library . Have seen people going to get a book and than leave.

Edited by xxoocruiser

I wonder if there is less demand for library books now that e-readers and e-book apps have become so common place.

Years ago, we'd head to the library on day one of long cruises to supplement the substanial stash of books we'd packed. We often were blessed with great, newer books left in the book exchange by previous cruisers. By the end of the long cruise, we'd contribute the books we'd packed and re-contribute most of those blessings.

Now we make sure our e-readers are loaded before a long cruise and we maybe carry 1 or 2 physical books. On arrival the book exchange sections seem much smaller often with older books and/or few appealing titles. Since we have books we love on the e-readers, we rarely find anything better for us in the library collections, and we now have little or nothing to contribute to the book exchange.

If the most prolific readers have switched to e-books and less prolific readers bring their own book or two, maybe demand for ship library books has dropped substantially.

I now value quiet spaces for reading or relaxing more than the books on the library shelves.

We were just on the Legend. The library has been replaced by a "Book Nook". There were still plenty of books available. The book exchange turned over constantly and both my husband and I were able to find several good books to read.

Libraries do not produce revenue so RCCL has begun phasing them out on some of its smaller ships. Rarely ever see anyone actually sitting in the library . Have seen people going to get a book and than leave.

On our last cruise on Freedom, there were always people in the library when I walked past. Not full, but certainly not empty either.

On Freedom, our cabin was near the Library, so we were through there often. There were usually people in there, doing things such as reading books, magazines, doing puzzles, kids doing homework, etc...

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I wonder if there is less demand for library books now that e-readers and e-book apps have become so common place.

I think it depends on the crowd. I was on a longer (12 nt) X cruise in Europe last fall and the library was the hottest spot on the ship :p, I'm not exaggerating by saying it was the most difficult place on the ship to get a seat!

I can definitely see it as more of a 'book nook'. I have borrowed books for reading on a cruise, but never sat in the Library to read it.

As long as I can find the location of the books to read, I would be fine -- then off to somewhere else to read, is good for me.

I hope not! I find the library to be a peaceful sanctuary, and I depend on the paperback exchange shelves. (Even though I am an avid reader, I have not moved on to e-readers. I prefer real books, and they are easier on my eyes.)

I still read books. I do have a kindle fire. I only use it to play games and to check into Cruise Critic and Facebook.

I much prefer to read a book, made of paper, that I can hold in my hands. Something is missing with the words are flashed upon a screen. Many of the "real" books I have purchased have been kept for many years.

I do enjoy going to the Library on board the ship to gather a few books to read during the week on board the ship. I bring my own books to read at the airport, and on the plane. I would miss it if Royal Caribbean did away with the library completely; I would still be happy with a book nook, as I don't stay in the library to read. I usually read on the pool deck, or on my balcony.

Edited by sleepless

I am an avid reader and never thought I would give up the traditional books but after reading a few and most of my magazines on my Ipad I am hooked. You can adjust the font and the light so reading is simple. I always loved using our local library but haven't been there in awhile. I don't know how or why the cities will budget so much it them in the future? Never used a cruise ship library except to get the trivia quiz. As the cruise generations change they will be less needed I would think.

Another avid reader here. I tried reading a book on my iPad and the only reason I got all the way through it is because it was one of my favorite authors (and main character). I prefer to hold a book in my hand and turn the pages.

I'm sad that they are downsizing the library areas on the ship....that was always one of my first stops when we boarded and I've found some great books in the exchange corner. Plus I would go there every morning to get the daily sudoku and trivia quiz. Where are these puzzles found now if there is no actual library?

One of the best features of Cunard ships is the library. The one on the QM2 was huge (as was everything else on that ship).

I download books onto my iPad but it is tough to read them in the sun because of the glare...since we are always at the pool or on the beach I either grab one from the library or bring one.

Edited by Wilda

On Enchantment I didn't see a library but they did have a "quiet zone" every day for a few hours in the Viking Crown Lounge

The library on Enchantment is across from Latte'-Tudes and is shared with RC Online.

I hope not! I find the library to be a peaceful sanctuary, and I depend on the paperback exchange shelves. (Even though I am an avid reader, I have not moved on to e-readers. I prefer real books, and they are easier on my eyes.)

So do I. I don't have an e-reader, and don't plan on getting one any time soon. There is nothing like relaxing with a real book in hand, which I don't have to recharge.

Please, RCCL, don't remove any more libraries. I love to sit in there when I want a quiet place to read.

There has to be some sort of a library so people can take out a book or leave books or magazines for others to use. Tried a e reader but didn't like it - much prefer an actual book.

I was on the Brilliance mid December I enjoyed the library. It was small near the coffee bar. I hope it is still there.:eek:

I listen to books on my iPhone (or iPod) and I have come to love hearing books read by narrators that bring the book alive. Audible books (I buy mine from Audible.com) are less expensive than real books and you can share them just like real books. My husband and I share an account.

I book a Kindle Paperwhite last year and I do occasionally read a book on it (it's much lighter and smaller than holding an iPad and there is no glare and you can read it in the dark or in the bright sun light).

I am in my 60's and I love embracing new technology.

So do I. I don't have an e-reader, and don't plan on getting one any time soon. There is nothing like relaxing with a real book in hand, which I don't have to recharge.

Please, RCCL, don't remove any more libraries. I love to sit in there when I want a quiet place to read.

Same here,I don't have an e-reader and don't intend getting one. Reason is, I just love books and love the library, both on board and our local library. I also find great pleasure in donating my cruise books to the shelves for others to hopefully enjoy.

I think it depends on the crowd. I was on a longer (12 nt) X cruise in Europe last fall and the library was the hottest spot on the ship :p, I'm not exaggerating by saying it was the most difficult place on the ship to get a seat!
Any problem with chair hogs getting up early and saving library seats with pool towels:eek::D