all Inclusive Package on Royal

NeurosurgeryNP

Wow, framer, that's a little harsh. Some of us like the package for the sparkling water at every meal, special coffees, fresh juice, and maybe a couple of cocktails or mocktails. To each his own- but let's remember to be nice!

Hi I was wondering if you could tell me more about the wine packages?

thanks so much,

Dawn

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Dawn, i found this from a helpful member of cc (IECalCruiser) May 2013:

Currently there are two different packages. (Prices are subject to change)

1.) Silver Tier (any bottle of wine up to and including $29 in retail value)

2.) Gold Tier (any bottle of wine up to and including $45 in retail value)

Silver Tier:

7 Pack - $161

10 Pack - $210

12 Pack - $240

Gold Tier:

7 Pack - $217

10 Pack - $290

12 Pack - $336

There will be 15% to add to these prices for the 'gratuity'.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Edited by saltypeer
colour

I wish they didn't require everyone in the cabin to purchase the package. It would totally be worth it for my husband, but I rarely have more than 3 or 4 alcoholic drinks the entire cruise and usually just drink water and iced tea because that's what I prefer.

I could be wrong, but I believe there are other cruiselines that don't require every adult to purchase the package. Why can't Princess do the same?

Royal Caribbean initially required everyone over 21 in a cabin to purchase when they first launched their drink package last summer. They then revised and introduced 3 different levels of packages and dropped the requirement of everyone having to purchase. According to reports, they were pretty lax onboard allowing only one to purchase if someone asked (nicely). Apparently they figured for the few that might abuse it, most did not and they sold more when they allowed it to be purchased individually.

Maybe this is Princess's trial period to see how that works and they will do the same and drop the requirement in the future? Royal just dropped it with their revised packages in December. We cruised in January and while it was $6 more per person per day, it was still well worth the cost. We probably came out even, but not having to think about it what I was spending was a great relief for me. Last month I also cruised on NCL for a short getaway and was able to take advantage of their package. For NCL it was $49 a day (plus gratuities, of course) and being a 3 day cruise, I completely got my money worth + some! NCL does require all guests over 21 to purchase.

We are looking at booking our next cruise on Princess so I came to the boards today specifically to see if they had a drink package yet. I am very happy to see this!

Dawn, i found this from a helpful member of cc (IECalCruiser) May 2013:

Currently there are two different packages. (Prices are subject to change)

1.) Silver Tier (any bottle of wine up to and including $29 in retail value)

2.) Gold Tier (any bottle of wine up to and including $45 in retail value)

Silver Tier:

7 Pack - $161

10 Pack - $210

12 Pack - $240

Gold Tier:

7 Pack - $217

10 Pack - $290

12 Pack - $336

There will be 15% to add to these prices for the 'gratuity'.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Someone on another thread said that the wine packages were being discontinued in favour of the all inclusive package. Hopefully this is a rumour as we thought the wine package was very good value for money and feel the all inclusive to be a bit pricey when two people have to buy it.

Edited by jimpod

Someone on another thread said that the wine packages were being discontinued in favour of the all inclusive package. Hopefully this is a rumour as we thought the wine package was very good value for money and feel the all inclusive to be a bit pricey when two people have to buy it.

Hope that isn't the case. I have to agree with you about how pricey it would be when 2 people in the same cabin have to purchase.

I tried the wine package aboard the Crown last time and it worked well for me.

Pete

Royal Caribbean initially required everyone over 21 in a cabin to purchase when they first launched their drink package last summer. They then revised and introduced 3 different levels of packages and dropped the requirement of everyone having to purchase. According to reports, they were pretty lax onboard allowing only one to purchase if someone asked (nicely). Apparently they figured for the few that might abuse it, most did not and they sold more when they allowed it to be purchased individually.

Maybe this is Princess's trial period to see how that works and they will do the same and drop the requirement in the future? Royal just dropped it with their revised packages in December. We cruised in January and while it was $6 more per person per day, it was still well worth the cost. We probably came out even, but not having to think about it what I was spending was a great relief for me. Last month I also cruised on NCL for a short getaway and was able to take advantage of their package. For NCL it was $49 a day (plus gratuities, of course) and being a 3 day cruise, I completely got my money worth + some! NCL does require all guests over 21 to purchase.

We are looking at booking our next cruise on Princess so I came to the boards today specifically to see if they had a drink package yet. I am very happy to see this!

On the Sapphire everyone in the cabin was required to purcahse it last week.

Great deal if you are a drunk. I'm sure a few will spoil it for some of us.

IMHO not a good thing.

framer

I am not a drunk, have to tell you. I have been enjoying drinks throughout the day including bottled waters, specialty coffees, etc. I am sorry if you think someone has to be a drunk because the have purchased the package.

Am I the only one who thinks this is very expensive? I guess if you drink 5+ alcholic drinks and other beverages it might be worth it. As for me, I'd either be drunk or hung over every day. Not for us, I guess.

Edited by Donder1

Am I the only one who thinks this is very expensive? I guess if you drink 5+ alcholic drinks and other beverages it might be worth it. As for me, I'd either be drunk or hung over every day. Not for us, I guess.

People have different metabolisms.

Bloody Mary or Mimosa or Pernod with OJ (I love that drink but seem to be a minority) at breakfast.

Coffee with breakfast.

Glass of wine with lunch.

Afternoon drink by the pool.

Wine with dinner.

After dinner drink.

Drink while watching a show.

This probably covers the entire cost. You can substitute more coffee and a caramel mocha for some of the drinks. You still end up covering the cost.

However, even folks who would drink what is outlined above probably won't drink that much on port days.

I could easily drink what's listed above without ever being drunk or even buzzed. I know people who are trashed after one glass of wine. People are different.

I don't anticipate the Princess demographic abusing this package and getting plastered and obnoxious. On a line with a younger and more party oriented demographic it might be cause for concern.

People have different metabolisms.

I don't anticipate the Princess demographic abusing this package and getting plastered and obnoxious. On a line with a younger and more party oriented demographic it might be cause for concern.

I agree with you on this. I know many people signed up for it by the lines on embarkatoon day. I have yet to see intoxicated people on this cruise yet. We have yet to be even buzzed as we are spreading the drinks throughout the day and night.

I agree with you on this. I know many people signed up for it by the lines on embarkatoon day. I have yet to see intoxicated people on this cruise yet. We have yet to be even buzzed as we are spreading the drinks throughout the day and night.

Well girl, go get your buzz on! :D

Edited by janetz

We purchased the package on Celebrity for the same price. It was well worth it as we would have at least 2 glasses of wine or champagne at diner as well as bottled water. The water on that ship was very chlorinated and had a terrible taste. We had fresh juice in the morning and afternoon, a full glass not the thimble size juice that you get on Princess in the morning. We ordered specialty coffee and always took water bottles with us when we were in port. In the Caribbean you tend to drink more but to be honest if it was a port intensive European itinerary I don't think we would have purchased the package. Celebrity has been giving the drink package for free with bookings. I think we were one of the few people who actually paid for the package on that sailing. I have to say that I didn't witness and drunken or rude behavior all week and I have never seen so many passenger walking around with bottles of water through out the ship.

If you are satisfied with the free beverages that are offered then there is no need to purchase a package but for myself I need to purchase a soft drink package at the very least on any line.

No I agree this is expensive. We sail on Celebrity quite a bit too and we used to get their packages-it can be a good deal depending on the itinerary. With lots of sea days, it can be a no brainer but with a port-heavy itinerary we usually end up at a significant loss. It's still convenient though.

I also like that on X you can just get bottles of water on the package from any bar. This is nice when going ashore or just going to the pool. Princess also needs to work out some of the details, like still having to sign a slip even though it's for $0.00. I should be able to swipe and go.

Great deal if you are a drunk. I'm sure a few will spoil it for some of us.

IMHO not a good thing.

framer

Obviously Princess likes me as a passenger more than you because I spend money on bottles water, specialty coffees, wine and liquor. IMHO this is a good deal and I can assure you I am not a drunk and neither is my DW. We also wouldn't "spoil" anything for you. We have never been sloppy drunk on a cruise and spoiled anything for any other passenger, but we do enjoy cocktails while on vacation.

The amount of alcohol in each drink is considerably less than many bars and restaurants in the US and is carefully measured by every Princess bartender.

As many others have stated on this thread and others, if you add up the cost of sodas, bottled water, specialty coffee and a few drinks or glasses of wine a day it makes sense for many. Maybe not you, but many.

Personally I think it's about time that Princess is following other lines and offering options for those that think it's a better deal for them.

I honestly believe Princess would have never considered this drink package if they thought they would have a ship full of "drunks".

Sorry to be a pain, can someone tell me the average price for beer, scotch and coke, coke, and cocktail of the day costs on board. As we are on the Royal for 17 days TA in Sept, just trying to work out its worth doing inclusive package.

Aussie Bob

Sorry to be a pain, can someone tell me the average price for beer, scotch and coke, coke, and cocktail of the day costs on board. As we are on the Royal for 17 days TA in Sept, just trying to work out its worth doing inclusive package.

Aussie Bob

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2002208

Edited by Colo Cruiser