Denied Boarding Royal Caribbean?

Has anyone recently cruised on Royal Caribbean with a misdemeanor on their record? I'm very nervous and I don't know what to do. I just booked a few days ago a RC cruise to Bermuda.My husband and I received valid Passports last

month.He didn't have any problem getting his Passport issued, but I have recently read online that RC conducts background checks on all their passengers. My husband,17 years ago, during his college years, made a bad decision and was arrested for misdemeanor possession of marijuana. I am a nervous wreck ,worried that this whole cruise will fall apart :(

We booked through a travel agent last week and paid the deposit.

If he is going to be denied boarding,will we know I'm advance,so we don't drive 6 hours to NJ, only to be turned away at the ship.

This was his only offence, he is gainfully employed and does not have any other legal issues.What is supposed to be a fun and enjoyable cruise is unfortunately turning into a source of much stress. The cruise is in June, and I just wonder if there is anything I can do to alleviate my worrying. Does anyone out there have any information or experience with a passenger with an old misdemeanor issue?

I appreciate any information. Thank you.

I imagine if everyone with a misdemeanor was turned away we would hear about it - felony charges, sure I could see being nervous but for something minor that happened so long ago I'm sure it will be fine.

My brother got a misdemeanor charge for being publicly intoxicated in college, he's 24 now and we went on a cruise as a family a year or two after it happened.

I agree with the above poster though, just call and ask ! Don't leave it up to chance :)

Edited by jessicalorene

While I don't have a record (not for lack of trying:p), and I travel and cruise regularly, I don't see how any cruise line would make such a massive effort to check for anything other than the most serious of misdemeanors (if they check for misdemeanors at all) and felonies. You figure the largest RCCL ships sail with 4K passengers, every week, add in their other brands,and you have a huge weekly background check to run on every passenger. I can't imagine running that many background checks every week is very cheap, either.

I wouldn't worry about it with a DUI or a pot misdemeanor.

Has anyone recently cruised on Royal Caribbean with a misdemeanor on their record? I'm very nervous and I don't know what to do. I just booked a few days ago a RC cruise to Bermuda.My husband and I received valid Passports last

month.He didn't have any problem getting his Passport issued, but I have recently read online that RC conducts background checks on all their passengers. My husband,17 years ago, during his college years, made a bad decision and was arrested for misdemeanor possession of marijuana. I am a nervous wreck ,worried that this whole cruise will fall apart :(

We booked through a travel agent last week and paid the deposit.

If he is going to be denied boarding,will we know I'm advance,so we don't drive 6 hours to NJ, only to be turned away at the ship.

This was his only offence, he is gainfully employed and does not have any other legal issues.What is supposed to be a fun and enjoyable cruise is unfortunately turning into a source of much stress. The cruise is in June, and I just wonder if there is anything I can do to alleviate my worrying. Does anyone out there have any information or experience with a passenger with an old misdemeanor issue?

I appreciate any information. Thank you.

I do not think you should worry at all. But call RC and ask if it will ease your mind.

Had one myself (different offense, sold beer to someone who turned out to be underage) about 16 years ago (~23 years old) and it has never come up on any of the lines I've cruised.

In some cases they might not even see it on any national check as I've never even had an employer (in a different state, as my issue happened in Ohio) ask about mine after their background check. They probably do a federal check only, and I don't think a lot of local stuff would show up (but again, I'm not an expert).

Edited by JasonV1

No need to call in MYHO....you both have valid passports which would not have been issued had there been a problem. Calling RCCL just might raise a red flag which isn't necessary. Have a blast!!!!!

I think this person is right. My kid had a felony many years ago and had no issue cruising. The passport would clear you.

RCI doesn't have access to criminal information. Homeland Security would be the ones running background checks. Don't worry about it and have a great vacation. Apply for a pardon when you get home.

Shirley, Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by willing292

If it's something that happened in the past and it's cleared up there is nothing to worry about.

If you have a current warrant and the jurisdiction that issued the warrant will extradite they will grab you on that. If it's a nationwide pick up you will definately go to jail.

I highly doubt they do criminal background checks. Probably only do national security checks, such as holds on passports or wanted lists by FBI and the like. Possibly sexual predator lists.

Checking with RCI might help or might not.....after all many of us have gotten conflicting information from various people who answer the RCI phones.

Besides, I thought the premise of serving prison time and/or paying restitution, doing public service and the like, was to allow people to return to society with their "debt" paid. It shouldn't be hung over their heads.

The background checks are for Homeland Security type issues. If he is on some type of "list" he would not have been issued his passport. As long as there is no warrant for arrest or jurisdiction issues with visas etc. he will be fine. Trust me, relax, I retired from this line of work :-).

No need to call in MYHO....you both have valid passports which would not have been issued had there been a problem. Calling RCCL just might raise a red flag which isn't necessary. Have a blast!!!!!

It's not RCCL, but more the countries you will visit. I know that Canada will deny entry to anyone with a Felony DUI on their record. I don't think that Misdemeanor information is shared though. I doubt you will have a problem

My thought is at what point did the TA ask for your SSN or DL number? We didn't have to provide one. And the cruise line would need at the minimum one of those to run a back ground check. They can't just run if off your name they would get thousands of hits. And I don't know if it's the same in every state but in ours you have to sign a waiver giving permission for employers to run them so I would think it would be the same for a cruise line also. Just my opinion.

It's not RCCL, but more the countries you will visit. I know that Canada will deny entry to anyone with a Felony DUI on their record. I don't think that Misdemeanor information is shared though. I doubt you will have a problem

I thought Canada would deny you entry for even a Misdemeanor DUI...anything to do with alcohol at all regardless :confused:

My thought is at what point did the TA ask for your SSN or DL number? We didn't have to provide one. And the cruise line would need at the minimum one of those to run a back ground check. They can't just run if off your name they would get thousands of hits. And I don't know if it's the same in every state but in ours you have to sign a waiver giving permission for employers to run them so I would think it would be the same for a cruise line also. Just my opinion.

I'm pretty sure you can get all the info you would need about somebody with a passport number.

While I don't THINK there will be a problem cruising to Bermuda, don't count on not having a problem going to Canada. What rates as a Misdemeanor DUI in the US would be a Felony in Canada. It is my understanding that Canada does have access to US Misdemeanor DUI records, and will deny admission. There are ways to straighten things out with Canada. Check out:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/inadmissibility/conviction.asp

Thom

Edited by TravelerThom

I thought Canada would deny you entry for even a Misdemeanor DUI...anything to do with alcohol at all regardless :confused:

That is true anyone with a DWI or DUI will not be allowed to enter Canada. According to the tV show border security.

Also I live close to the Maine USA, New Brunswick Canada border and when I cross there they always ask me if i have been arrested for anything etc. So i am sure it works on both ways.

Edited by trev71

Ditto. I would not attract an negative attention to myself. Just go and have a blast. You won't have any problems.