Keeping in touch on the boat...

To keep track of your teen, have them MEET you in person every so often! Walkie talkies or texts do NOT let you SEE what condition your child might be in....they can tell you anything! Trust, but verify! So, allow them to do this or that, but when they're done, they must find you (so be where you said you'd be!), and check in before going to the next thing! Repeat as needed.

Edited by cb at sea

I'm going alone with DD16 and was hoping for something I keep track of her with...

Off topic: Prediction, you will be given parenting advice from others about 'how to give your child some freedom'..... be prepared. :D

Edited by Brigbound

Allure and Oasis have iPhones synced to the cruise phone system to rent for, I believe $35, but they sell out fast. I am not aware of walkie-talkies available for rent, but you can bring aboard your own. I did this when I was a teen with my parents on one cruise, but we only had a 17-channel model, and there was always chatter from other cruisers on every channel. Also, if one end of the line was inside on a lower deck, it was often too jumbled to hear, but they did come in handy a few times. If you get a good deal on some decent (preferably 20+ channel) walkie-talkies, it may be worth getting to keep in touch (but YMMV).

You can also try leaving messages using house phones on your stateroom voicemail for one another, and the old tried-and-true set check-in times/places work well. Short of following your DD around all the time, check-ins are the best way to really keep tabs on a ship.

I'm going alone with DD16 and was hoping for something I keep track of her with...

How do you keep in touch at home? If she has a smart phone you can track her every move, for a cost

Edited by setsail

Old Naval joke; you sail on a ship, a boat is what you abandon ship onto, unless you're a submariner, in which case you're on a boat under the water :)

Walkie Talkies work fine. Grab a decent but inexpensive set on Amazon and you should be fine. They do have the fancy rental phones on Oasis and Allure, if you're sailing one of them and choose to rent.

The real trick is getting her to answer the walkie talkie, but you already know that and don't need any of us telling you how to parent your child!

Old Naval joke; you sail on a ship, a boat is what you abandon ship onto, unless you're a submariner, in which case you're on a boat under the water :)

Walkie Talkies work fine. Grab a decent but inexpensive set on Amazon and you should be fine. They do have the fancy rental phones on Oasis and Allure, if you're sailing one of them and choose to rent.

The real trick is getting her to answer the walkie talkie, but you already know that and don't need any of us telling you how to parent your child!

Yes I hate when people called it a boat, although it's very common. A boat is part of a ship's equipment, and does not usually have its own name. Subs are an exception, although the tradition started because the first ones were indeed boats that were launched from a ship. I think it comes from the Love Boat show, and they called it that just because love ship sounds weird. Interestingly I've never hear "cruise boat" so go figure.

As for keeping in touch, texting is pretty cheap, like 50 cents per, so that's what my family does, although obviously only when necessary and not multiple times per day. Texting works fine on board. Just make sure you've got data roaming off.

Thanks for all the comments. Just as an FYI I'm not worried about her getting into "trouble" (and no I'm not naïve, she's just that kind of kid, now if it was her brother coming that would be another story :eek:in fact I expect her to spend a fair amount of time with me, but I'm also hoping she will meet some friends. Smart phone is way too expensive as we are coming from Canada.

Just another thing to think about is whether she would be responsible to hold onto and keep track of a walkie talkie or cell phone.

We have found that we get together in the morning and plan out the day. If things change we leave post it notes in the cabin. We also set up check in times during the day and we do check out to make sure the kids are where they said they would be every once in a while. We do another plan out at dinner and repeat the process. It really isn't all that hard and has worked for us with out kids over multiple cruises.

We have found that bringing along the electronics only makes matters worse as there is more to keep track of and potential loose and/or damage. Of course, each family/child is different.

Just another thing to think about is whether she would be responsible to hold onto and keep track of a walkie talkie or cell phone.

We have found that we get together in the morning and plan out the day. If things change we leave post it notes in the cabin. We also set up check in times during the day and we do check out to make sure the kids are where they said they would be every once in a while. We do another plan out at dinner and repeat the process. It really isn't all that hard and has worked for us with out kids over multiple cruises.

We have found that bringing along the electronics only makes matters worse as there is more to keep track of and potential loose and/or damage. Of course, each family/child is different.

Sorry but a 16 yr. old that couldn't hold onto a phone :D:D:D

However a 16 yr old may not want to hold onto a walkie-talkie.

We went the post it note route too. We left notes for our son and he did the same. Cell phones are too expensive on a ship and walkie talkies are not popular with the teens.

Just go over what her plans are going to be. If things change, she can leave you a note or a message on the cabin phone. There are only going to be certain places she wants to hang out so finding her won't be that hard. Just set the rules up front, no going into peoples cabins, no drinking, no picking up a drink after you have left it unattended.

Thanks for all the comments. Just as an FYI I'm not worried about her getting into "trouble" (and no I'm not naïve, she's just that kind of kid, now if it was her brother coming that would be another story :eek:in fact I expect her to spend a fair amount of time with me, but I'm also hoping she will meet some friends. Smart phone is way too expensive as we are coming from Canada.

You may want to check with your carrier, all phones on the cruise ship are in roaming mode regardless of country of origin, but for us it's still only 50 cents per text. Same thing we paid in Europe.

Even if it's a dollar or so it may be worth it for a once of twice a day check-in, or for urgent matters.

Edited by DrD

No. It can be cheaper with a plan. Here's what AT&T does on cruise ships:

Calling, Messaging, and Using Data

on a Cruise Ship

Now available while sailing aboard Royal Caribbean

International®, Azamara Club Cruises®, and select Celebrity

Cruises® ships.

Choose from three packages:

•Calling only

•Calling and messaging

•Calling, messaging, and data

To add one of these packages call:

800.335.4685 or +1.916.843.4685

(a free wireless call from abroad)

Monthly Included Minutes Messages Sent Allowance Included Cellular Data

$30 50

Overage $1.00/min N/A N/A

$60 50

Overage $1.00/min 100

Overage: $0.50/msg. sent (text, picture, video) N/A

$120 50

Overage $1.00/min 100

Overage: $0.50/msg. sent (text, picture, video) 100MB

Overage:

$10/10MB

Pay-Per-Use Rates apply without the package and when traveling on non-qualifying cruise ships:

Calling: $2.50/minute

Messages Sent: $0.50/text and $1.30/picture or video message

Data: $0.0195/KB ($19.97/MB)

So without any plan or signup it's 50 cents per text, and considering how much one spends on everything else that's really not too much a few times per day.

Even a quick call doesn't break the bank.

Just don't use data as that can add up. As long as data roaming is off you won't use data.

Of course this is only AT&T but I'd bet other carriers are similar.

Edited by DrD