Recommended Places to Stay in London after Cruise

Hello

We are returning on Brilliance of the Seas from a Baltic Cruise on July 1 at 4 am. Ship docks in Harwick. We are staying overnight in London then flying back to Toronto

We would like to get into London to see a few sights, but know London can be expensive. Can anyone suggest a nice hotel to stay in, it could be close to the tube outside of the city core, if that helps with expenses.

Thanks for the help, I know this isn't about the cruise but I didn't know where else to post!

DVMvet

Hello

We are returning on Brilliance of the Seas from a Baltic Cruise on July 1 at 4 am. Ship docks in Harwick. We are staying overnight in London then flying back to Toronto

We would like to get into London to see a few sights, but know London can be expensive. Can anyone suggest a nice hotel to stay in, it could be close to the tube outside of the city core, if that helps with expenses.

Thanks for the help, I know this isn't about the cruise but I didn't know where else to post!

DVMvet

Try the holiday inn Kensington. Reasonable for London prices. One block to the tube on the district/circle line. Great location just a bit out of city center. Very nice hotel with plenty of pubs/restaurants within walking distance.

Hi!

There is a ports of call board for the British Isles:

http://http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=233

This is really a time and budget question. You can look at hotels at Heathrow and take the Express to Paddington and back. The hotel will be less expensive, but you have to figure the cost of the train. I stayed at the Sheraton at Heathrow a few years back for 50 GBP when central London was 150-250, for instance.

But, like NYC, half the fun of London is being in the city!

My last few trips were either business or hotel points, so not a lot of help...

Traveled to London last year with my wife and stayed in the Westminister area. Right near the Westminister tube stop and Waterloo.

It is walking distance to Big Ben, The London Eye, Buckingham Palace, and right on the river so you can hop a boat there too.

We stayed at the Park Plaza Westiminister Bridge. There is also a Marriott right there too. Would not hesitate to stay there again and I believe our room came with breakfast too.

I can't offer specific hotel suggestions, but I can suggest a strategy. Decide what you want to do on your day in London and map it out - you probably want to concentrate on one area of the city. Then go onto Hotwire and see what hotels are being offered for your date in that area. Any 3*+ hotel with a high recommendation should be just fine for one night.

I had one day before sailing from Harwich and realized I could do both Buckingham Palace and Parliament, so I Hotwired a hotel in Westminster that allowed me to walk. Never had to use the Underground or bus - just took a cab to the hotel from the train station.

Hello

DVMvet

I'm assuming you're flying out of Heathrow, and if that's the case, I recommend the Jurys Inn Heathrow. Very convenient to the tube, easy access to the city, clean, comfortable rooms and usually a much lower rate than city center (or centre on that side of the pond) prices. Depending on your flight time in the morning, it may be beneficial to start closer to the airport and sleep a little later.

Hello

DVMvet

Just my humble opinion

May I suggest the Sheraton Skyline at Heathrow.

Book the Club floor for evening drinks and hot and cold nibbles (a meal?). Then a superb breakfast including smoked salmon, and fizz. All part of the Club Floor package that comes with a superb larger room.

Service is impeccable.

We have never been disappointed.

I have stayed in London 4 times. Probably the best deal for the nicest room was when I stayed at the Hilton at Terminal 5 in Heathrow. I believe it was less than 100 pounds/night and the hotel is brand new.

I also stayed in London central:

Once was at the Hilton Paddington Station which is expensive but super convenient to the tube and the Heathrow Express train.

Once was at the Hilton Kensington which was cheaper but the room was SUPER SMALL. Plus it was easy to get on the tube but really wasn't close walking distance to anything.

Once was at a Novatel near the ibis Southwark Rose which was really close to Shakepeare's Globe and easy enough to get to the tube. This was cheap and minimalist at the time but it wasn't that nice of an area to walk around at night. http://www.novotel.com/gb/hotel-3269-novotel-london-city-south/index.shtml

As far as taking the tube from Outside of London into the city it can take quite a while and I think people often underestimate. Plus the tube can have delays which some might not expect. I think it is about a 50 minute ride on the tube from Heathrow. I prefer using Heathrow Express which is much faster but expensive. I expense those things so it doesn't matter much to me.

Edited by ummgood

Check out the Premier Inn, London County Hall. Clean, minimalist, friendly.

At times the rates are very good.

I'll second this one. Stayed there last summer on the way back from our Med cruise on Celebrity. Can't beat the price or location. It's right next to the London Eye and Waterloo station is a block away.

Hello

DVMvet

We have stayed at the Montana Hotel very near Gloucester Rd tube a couple of times (make that 3 times after our TA Brilliance this May!). Should be a tad over £100 per night for 2 peeps. It's a townhouse property, but does have lifts and free internet. The tide station is convenient cause you have both District and Piccadilly lines to chose from. Search it out and look at their web site - lots of pictures.

Charing Cross Hotel is well placed for getting around London being right at the station, easy for catching trains and the tube. Is in walking distance of Trafalgar Square and Covent Garden. Close by is The Strand Palace hotel which is also convenient. One of my favourites for exceptional service is close to St.James underground station, the St. Ermin's. I love London and visit a few times every year, hope you enjoy your stay.

Lynda

Check out the Premier Inn, London County Hall. Clean, minimalist, friendly.

At times the rates are very good.

Thank you for this recommendation. I am having some trouble locating this one in London County Hall though, at least on their web page. Could it be under a different location?

Thank you for this recommendation. I am having some trouble locating this one in London County Hall though, at least on their web page. Could it be under a different location?

http://www.premierinn.com/en/hotel/LONCOU/london-county-hall?

Also check rates at the newer London Waterloo (Westminster Bridge) which is very close by.

For a reasonable price versus location try the Grand Royale next to Hyde Park. Their rates are reasonable. The rooms are newly refurbished, clean but small, the public areas are very grand, breakfast and wifi is included and it just a couple of stops to Paddington for the Heathrow Express.

One tip. If you register for their privalege club before booking, quote your PC club number when booking then you get a free one grade upgrade.

On average its around £85 per night for a double.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We need a double and a triple room for our family of five in London before a cruise at the end of May. We would like to stay within waling distance to a subway tube station. I looked into the "waterloo" area just south of the Theme River, close to the London Eye. The problem is, a lot of hotels some folks on this board have suggested, do not have triple rooms in the property. Could anyone who has stayed in a reasonable hotel that has triple rooms, within the London City Centre area, please suggest a name. We don't need a fancy hotel, but it is important that it is clean and in a convenient location for transportation. Any other tips on London would be helpful as well. Thanks in advance.

We need a double and a triple room for our family of five in London before a cruise at the end of May. We would like to stay within waling distance to a subway tube station. I looked into the "waterloo" area just south of the Theme River, close to the London Eye. The problem is, a lot of hotels some folks on this board have suggested, do not have triple rooms in the property. Could anyone who has stayed in a reasonable hotel that has triple rooms, within the London City Centre area, please suggest a name. We don't need a fancy hotel, but it is important that it is clean and in a convenient location for transportation. Any other tips on London would be helpful as well. Thanks in advance.

The Premier Inns have family rooms with a double bed and sofa bed so should meet your needs.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app