How do you people afford all those cruises?

kekilia

Is there some secret to cruising regularly that I am not aware of? I just booked my second cruise in 10 years and it is costing me a fortune for a Sky suite, specialty dining and beverage package, let alone the flight and hotel stays. Is everyone out there a billionaire or am I just paying rack rates stupidly? I researched a bunch of online cruise sites, but Celebrity offered just the same price for the cabin I wanted. So what gives, get up off your secrets to great cruising, I want to join you....

Is there some secret to cruising regularly that I am not aware of? I just booked my second cruise in 10 years and it is costing me a fortune for a Sky suite, specialty dining and beverage package, let alone the flight and hotel stays. Is everyone out there a billionaire or am I just paying rack rates stupidly? I researched a bunch of online cruise sites, but Celebrity offered just the same price for the cabin I wanted. So what gives, get up off your secrets to great cruising, I want to join you....

Well for one thing, you're booking a suite. Some people that book several do so in lower level cabins.

I think you just answered your own question.

Q) Is there some secret to cruising regularly that I am not aware of?

A) Don't book Sky Suites costing a fortune.

Sometimes I book a balcony, other times I wait for a last minute, inside cabin special at $499 for 7 nights (Alaska on Princess). I don't see myself ever booking a suite at their existing premium price.

Edited by Mercruiser

I know I book suites, but I just can't resist. After all, it's a vacation. Besides, everyone else on the boards seem to be talking upgrades, Blu, etc. I guess I just have champagne taste on a beer budget. BTW, what about those beverage packages, are they worth it?

I budget for cruising. That is how I afford it. I don't go first class accommodations. Drive non-fancy vehicle. Keep same cars 12-18 years

Never buy things that aren't on sale.

In fact, we really don't buy anything, except cruises

:D

My first rule is "Get me on the ship". My second rule is "Do it as cheaply as possible". My third rule is get a veranda if you can.

I've been on over 20 cruises with half being inside cabins. Figure out if you want to cruise or if you want to be in a suite.

This seems like an odd complaint. I afford cruising by adjusting my expectations to match my budget. I am going in an AQ cabin, but I wouldn't dream of choosing a suite. I got the 123 package, but normally I limit myself to one adult beverage per day. I treat myself to one specialty restaurant over the course of the cruise. My airfare and pre-cruise hotel were close to free using points from credit card churning.

I would rather go on a nice vacation 1-2 times per year than wait then spend a fortune each time. As a general rule I have a fantastic time, and I feel very comfortable with my budget. One does not have to spend a fortune. The only secret is to have a positive attitude and a deep appreciation for the joys of life.

I think, for most people, it's a matter of priorities. Where do you want to go and how you want to do it. We did cruises in 2010 and then again in 2011. We won't be cruising again until 2015. At that point, we were able to budget and plan ahead, getting the most bang for our buck. Our first cruise was oceanview only. Our second was a balcony. Our next will be another step up. We have saved and pay ahead so there are no lingering bills afterwards. This, I believe, gives us the advantage to think and plan ahead.

It's not a secret, it's just that a lot of people have more money than time, and don't bother to do any research.

If you want/"need" to book one particular itinerary, at one particular time, in one particular cabin, (especially a suite!) gotta have the drink package AND reserve specialty dining in advance... and do it directly with the cruise line a year or more in advance...

Yup, you are definitely going to pay through the nose for it. :eek:

If you have even a modicum of flexibility, the ability to moderate your demands, and a willingness to look for bargains, you CAN find 'em. ;)

In November of last year I enjoyed a 15 night Celebrity Reflection transatlantic from Rome to Miami for $449pp with a $250 OBC.

In September I sailed Diamond Princess for 14 nights to Alaska for $799pp with a $500 OBC. (and THAT was more than I should/could have paid!)

The year before that I sailed Celebrity Constellation from Southampton to Ft Lauderdale for $609pp with a $400 OBC.

I did a 7 night Hawaiian Island cruise on NCL a few years ago for $249pp.

Sailing Silhouette to Rome this April for $630pp with a $250 OBC.

Never book directly with the cruise line, never book prior to final payment date, never follow the herd...

...and you will almost never pay more than $50pp/per night.

Edited by teecee60

Huh?:eek:...I work to cruise:D.....I save $$ and have never booked a suite.

Someone metioned priorities earlier and I totally agree. It is about what

is important to each person. I don't care about a suite and it is way

beyond my budget. I thought about it a couple of times but never

ended up booking one...realized for the price I could take 2 or 3

other cruises.

I have no desire to go into what I call "cruise debt". I book what I

can afford and love cruising:).....like I said, I work to cruise;)

Yes, but everyone on the boards seem to talk about the suites and AQ and not that they are booked inside staterooms.

We do good to get in one a year and have yet to book a suite. Did get a so called mini on Princess once and a Jr on RCCL, both were late bookings after final. We make payments just like a loan and have it paid at final. Then we book tours and extras. I use the RCCL visa to pay then cash the points for OBC. Use the Southwest Air visa for points for the flight, and a Hyatt or Marriott visa to get the pre cruise hotel. It is a big puzzle making everything fit and does not happen on a whim.

I know I book suites, but I just can't resist. After all, it's a vacation. Besides, everyone else on the boards seem to be talking upgrades, Blu, etc. I guess I just have champagne taste on a beer budget. BTW, what about those beverage packages, are they worth it?

For us at least, the package is not just about drinks.It is everything else that the pkg includes.

A speciality coffee each on the balcony while the wifester is putting on her face, $5 ea.

Evian or San Pellegrino with fresh squeezed juice with that second coffee at breakfast, $15 ea.

Grab a bottle water on the way to stake out a deck chair, $4 ea.

$24 each before any mind altering liquid is consumed.

A beer or the drink of the day by the pool, $6 ea

Then off to lunch, maybe a soda, or another San Pellegrino $5 ea

The sun is hot hot hot! A cold beer or drink of the day is in order, $6 ea

The burger at the Mast Grill is calling our names, it does not go down with out some liquid assistance, $5 ea, then it is time to meet friends to watch the sun set from the Sunset Bar, $6 ea. Afternoon total $28.

And the evening fun has yet to begin.

San Pellegrino and a couple of glasses of wine with dinner, and another speciality coffee with desert, $26 ea

Now it is time for some mind altering sampling to happen, or not A cocktail with friends at one of the watering holes on ship $7 ea, or 2 if we are letting our hair down!

One more bottle water on the way back to the cabin just in case we get thirsty during the night, $4. Evening total, $44.

Morning, $24, day, $28, evening $44, total $96.00 each useing the low end of the cost scale and not much mind altering substance.

Some evening's we will grab another coffee ( or worse) and go and sit on deck 5 to unwind, listen to the swoosh of the waves gently breaking down the side of the ship before heading to the cabin. To each his own, it works for us.

This is the one so called 'splurge' we do.

The OP lives in Hawaii - I would imagine that means higher airfare than many of us have to pay, but still, the suite......I'm wondering if those of you that get such nice last minute deals, do you think you end up paying more in airfare or having to take multi-leg flights? Do you live near the port?

Well our flights from the UK are expensive to start with. And then we look for a Balcony stateroom if it is the right price for us. If not just make do with an Ocean view. Have also tried inside. We can only afford 1 cruise a year. And are very happy that we can do that.Could never be able to have a suite or anything near it....but then why would I want one.? We only sleep and change in our cabin we are still going to the same islands and seeing the same things on board as everyone else. I am very happy with what I have thankyou.!

Edited by amberben

No kids. No debt.

We worked hard, saved, and invested. Never traveled until the last 10 years or so. We usually book balcony cabins. A couple of times we had a junior suite, but only if we got a really good deal. We can usually cruise twice a year for the cost of a suite. We choose to cruise twice! Plus we are fortunate to drive to Florida so no airfare. We use credit card reward points to pay for our hotels.

£685 for a guarantee balcony is how I afford it, I imagine I could get quite a few cruises in for the cost of your suite, I sail from Southampton a 2 hour drive so no flight

I doubt I could afford a suite ever , how on earth to you manage that

Yes, but everyone on the boards seem to talk about the suites and AQ and not that they are booked inside staterooms.

What people say on these boards and what they actually do are two very different things.

Everyone dines in Blu or the specialty Restaurants, although the MDR and Buffet are always packed, everyone wanders about with an open wallet showering deserving Staff with cash although in 3 cruises for me so far I have only ever seen 1 person tip cash, and that was in the MDR, I've never seen it at a bar and believe me I've spent a lot of time so far in cruise ship bars :D

We don't book suites, or buy the beverage packages. We have done 10 ocean cruises and three river cruises in the last four years, since I retired.

How do we do it? We saved our money.

As others have posted we have no kids at home anymore and no debts, work full time but with the flexibility of taking vacations at short notice so can catch those bargains.

We have twice sailed in Owners suites but both time we purchased an up sale just before sailing for a huge reduction. Usually we purchase an ocean view or inside depending if we have been to those ports before.

We do splurge on speciality restaurants but they are no more expensive than going out for a meal at home.

We also save our points on our credit cards and use them for travel. Also having been on quite a few cruises we buy very little in the ports or on the ship anymore as you soon get to see the same things for sale in every port and there is only so many T shirts you need!

Few folks have a bottomless supply of funds, so obviously folks make the financial choices that suit them the best. Money is like closet space, ….You fill whatever space you have and can always use more.

We have made financial choices and plans to get us where we are today. We are not billionaires, don’t live in Florida and are not retired – as others have given as a reason for frequent travel. We cruise from 3 to 14 days each cruise and cruise 5-7 times per year. Our accommodations range from an occasion suite, to mostly Veranda cabins, an OV once in a while, and just sailed in our first inside on over 60 cruises ( for a recent RCCL 3 night cruise -and honestly it was not a big deal). Also - because we cruise often, we are "over" many of the extras like the specially restaurants ( we might go once every other cruise) , souvenirs, etc.

What has really made a difference for us is Technology. Technology has allowed us to be away from home/work more often. We can be away and still conduct some business. Often our clients or colleagues don’t even know we are out of the country. Many CC posters are vocal that folks should not have to go in line/make phone calls while on a cruise, well that ability is one factor that allows us to travel frequently. We often don’t consider the cruise a "vacation" just where we happen to be for a particular week.

We traveled as a family when our children were in school but naturally were limited to specific times of the year. We have a bit more flexibility now.

I don’t judge others in their financial choices, and never apologize for my ability to travel or make other purchases.

M