Tired of the Bashing

bphman

I don't know if this is appropriate but I am getting so fed up with Carnival bashing. We have sailed Carnival 5 times although not in the past 5 years. We have always enjoyed our cruises and felt they were the best bargains at sea.

I will be the first one to admit that we were quite hesitant to sail Carnival the first time because of the undeserved reputation. And, what amazes me is that most of the people who criticize Carnival have never sailed her. I read a thread regarding the "Carnivalization of Celebrity" regarding blasting of music on Celebrity which I never experienced on Carnival.

Every line has problems and each ship within a line is a different experience. Our only repeat ship was on the Liberty and the two sailings were totally different. What I like about Carnival is the liveliness of the ship, the food which is often berated, the comfort of the cabins, and the non-stop entertainment. Carnival has a great product at a great price.

Our tastes have changed over the years. We no longer have traveling children who need the high level of activity. And, not to sound like a snob, we have gravitated to smaller, relaxing and more upscale ships. With that being said, there is no reason to bash Carnival. It hurt me deeply to hear about the unfortunate events that occurred with her ships over the past few years. Nothing is perfect and I believe that these events were great learning experiences, not only for Carnival but for the whole cruise industry which is adopting many of their changes. I am sure I will be back some day but, for now, I will only look back at the fond memories I had with Carnival.

I don't know if this is appropriate but I am getting so fed up with Carnival bashing. We have sailed Carnival 5 times although not in the past 5 years. We have always enjoyed our cruises and felt they were the best bargains at sea.

I will be the first one to admit that we were quite hesitant to sail Carnival the first time because of the undeserved reputation. And, what amazes me is that most of the people who criticize Carnival have never sailed her. I read a thread regarding the "Carnivalization of Celebrity" regarding blasting of music on Celebrity which I never experienced on Carnival.

Every line has problems and each ship within a line is a different experience. Our only repeat ship was on the Liberty and the two sailings were totally different. What I like about Carnival is the liveliness of the ship, the food which is often berated, the comfort of the cabins, and the non-stop entertainment. Carnival has a great product at a great price.

Our tastes have changed over the years. We no longer have traveling children who need the high level of activity. And, not to sound like a snob, we have gravitated to smaller, relaxing and more upscale ships. With that being said, there is no reason to bash Carnival. It hurt me deeply to hear about the unfortunate events that occurred with her ships over the past few years. Nothing is perfect and I believe that these events were great learning experiences, not only for Carnival but for the whole cruise industry which is adopting many of their changes. I am sure I will be back some day but, for now, I will only look back at the fond memories I had with Carnival.

I am also tired of it. Shall I mention RCCL problem's?

Agreed, our last RCi cruise on Navigator last month, every day there was at least 1 person bashing Carnival, i mean huh???? you are on vacation and yet carry spite to bash another cruise line... I could only assume those that did were not having as much fun as they could. So sad.

An example, when i was in the flowrider line which was a lot of fun... a guy stated, "sure beats a stupid water-slide don't it?" as the carnival magic was next to us. I wanted to say, "No, i love the water-slides too." But figured it would have made a long and drawn out discussion taking the fun away from my next surf run.

I don't quite understand either, especially from people who have never sailed Carnival. I've sailed a few different lines and all have pros and cons, overall I've had the most enjoyable experience on Carnival, and I have specific things which matter to me to which I base my comparisons. I think the ships are more "fun ships" and I often think that makes the crew more upbeat and friendlier.

I've never sailed NCL, I have no desire or interest to sail NCL, yes purely based on things I've "heard", but given I've never experienced the cruise line I don't go around bashing it, or go over to the NCL board and post the perceived downsides.

Everyone likes to take a shot at the top dog in every race. I've sailed 6 times in my life: 3-Carnival, 2-HAL, and 1-Princess. I prefer Carnival as they deliver more vacation fun for the dollar than any other line. I especially despise the 'Wal-Mart' of cruising comparisons that so many are quick to say.

As one once said in defense of Carnival - they own 50% of the cruise industry, they pay cash for their ships, and they acquire other cruise lines like a hobby.

I have to agree here. We just returned from our first ever Carnival cruise and we were BLOWN AWAY. So many of the negative comments I heard about Carnival were undeserved. The food (which I heard the worst things about) was fabulous and the entertainment did not lack. And the service...WOW is all I can say.

As for the Flowrider comment...I am sure it is great when it's open. On our RCCL cruise, the thing was always closed and 75% of the time it was open, it was open for lessons that you pay extra for. It was ridiculous, really.

I just got off Yahoo where there is an article about 3 dozen or so people suing Carnival b/c they were on the Triumph which was the one that drifted and lost power, toilets, and everybody had to sleep outside, etc. They are claiming--" PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder), kidney stones, and scratchy throats. They are each asking for 5k for life so they can take care of their medical problems.......None of these "symptoms" has yet been proven. I am with the OP; we too have graduated to a different cruise line. We've had 17+ cruises on Carnival including ones going to Europe (3). We've had the best time on all of them. Those people on on Triumph sound like a bunch of spoiled babies. Tough times don't last; tough people do. The cruise line did their best to accommodate under the circumstances during the rough time, and offered compensation afterwards. Now even tho' we weren't on that ship, everyone knows that the cruise wouldn't last forever. It lasted for 4 days or so until they were able to get to port. I hope those people lose. Crap happens. We've had a bad situation happen to us over the summer while travelling, it was a freak accident, but it's not going to keep us from travelling. Grow up!

blasting of music on Celebrity which I never experienced on Carnival.

Well, you start by saying you've not been on one in five years & things do change.

We went on Triumph for a five day getaway last December, first time on CCL.

Overall it was decent; food, cabin, service all good, ship in great shape. However by the evening of the sea day the pool music(?) was at near pain threshold; now I like loud stuff but not that (it was called dub step among other names, I asked). So we left !

Also, pulling into Cozumel on a nice sunny morning the big screen by the pool was blaring one of those network TV morning gabfests to the extent that people moored next door were gesturing about it. I made sure to mention it on the post-cruise survey.

Still, we'd go again for the right price:)

Edited by pspercy

I just got off Yahoo where there is an article about 3 dozen or so people suing Carnival b/c they were on the Triumph which was the one that drifted and lost power, toilets, and everybody had to sleep outside, etc. They are claiming--" PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder), kidney stones, and scratchy throats. They are each asking for 5k for life so they can take care of their medical problems.......None of these "symptoms" has yet been proven. I am with the OP; we too have graduated to a different cruise line. We've had 17+ cruises on Carnival including ones going to Europe (3). We've had the best time on all of them. Those people on on Triumph sound like a bunch of spoiled babies. Tough times don't last; tough people do. The cruise line did their best to accommodate under the circumstances during the rough time, and offered compensation afterwards. Now even tho' we weren't on that ship, everyone knows that the cruise wouldn't last forever. It lasted for 4 days or so until they were able to get to port. I hope those people lose. Crap happens. We've had a bad situation happen to us over the summer while travelling, it was a freak accident, but it's not going to keep us from travelling. Grow up!

The people that sued Carnival over the Triumph needs to get over themselves and get their panties out of a wad!

Agreed, our last RCi cruise on Navigator last month, every day there was at least 1 person bashing Carnival, i mean huh???? you are on vacation and yet carry spite to bash another cruise line... I could only assume those that did were not having as much fun as they could. So sad.

An example, when i was in the flowrider line which was a lot of fun... a guy stated, "sure beats a stupid water-slide don't it?" as the carnival magic was next to us. I wanted to say, "No, i love the water-slides too." But figured it would have made a long and drawn out discussion taking the fun away from my next surf run.

I have to say, I wouldn't mind trying another cruiseline and look forward to it one day. I peak in at the royal board on here from time to time. Lots of Carnival insults and bashing. I feel like if I ever did cruise with them, I would have to keep it to myself that I had sailed all Carnival before. Good thing is that I know several folks personally who love Royal but are not so down on Carnival. It's a preference and not superiority. I would hope that's more representative of the majority.

As far as the Carnival bashing, it isn't as bad on some other sites as it is here. Don't really get it. Your discussing vacations. Why be so serious? Many posters are objectively critical. But others are just rude and hateful. I've gleaned alot of useful information here nonetheless. But for sure I'm learning that you can get much of the same information on other sites without having to weed through the volume of negativity.

If you're tired of the bashing (as I am), do what I do and skip those threads. For some reason, there's a saying that comes to mind. "Don't try to teach a pig to sing. It's a waste of time, and it annoys the pig." Kind of how I feel when trying to reason with someone that bashes Carnival and only has negative things to say.

Vacation is what you make of it. Yes there are unfortunate incidents which cause one person to have a totally different opinion and experience than possibly the person in the room next to them in the same cruise. I have been on 2 cruises (9 night on Caribbean Princess and 7 night on Oasis of the Seas) I had very different but equally amazing experiences on both.

Have I run into people that could have been more courteous? Of course! Have I had kids spill my $10 drink all over me? Yes I did lol. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and unfortunate things happen. But for me, life is too short to fret the small things and time away from work is too far and few between to spend it complaining about a bartender who got snippy(just an example). I am booked on the Carnival Valor on May, 18th, my first carnival cruise And I, for one, am not worried one bit that I will not have one hell of a vacation. Also, I plan on writing a review when I get back so stay tuned!

Happy Cruising everyone! If anyone is on the Valor with me in May, message me!

Yes, it's unfortunate that there is Carnival Bashing by people who have never actually cruised on Carnival.

Yet, almost all cruise lines have those who do this as well:

HAL as "Floating Nursing Homes"

NCCL as "Floating Amusement Parks"

NCL as a "Free to dress Sloppy cruises"

Celebrity as "Snobby Ships"

Costa as "Floating Ashtrays"

The list could go on & on. It's not just Carnival. :o

LuLu

~~~

I have to say, I wouldn't mind trying another cruiseline and look forward to it one day. I peak in at the royal board on here from time to time. Lots of Carnival insults and bashing. I feel like if I ever did cruise with them, I would have to keep it to myself that I had sailed all Carnival before. Good thing is that I know several folks personally who love Royal but are not so down on Carnival. It's a preference and not superiority. I would hope that's more representative of the majority.

As far as the Carnival bashing, it isn't as bad on some other sites as it is here. Don't really get it. Your discussing vacations. Why be so serious? Many posters are objectively critical. But others are just rude and hateful. I've gleaned alot of useful information here nonetheless. But for sure I'm learning that you can get much of the same information on other sites without having to weed through the volume of negativity.

Funny thing, after my September RCL cruise I posted on the RCL about the fact I was not WOW'd and I mentioned the reasons...several people told me that perhaps my needs would be better met by Crystal Cruise...really my issue was about towels and pillows. I sailed Carnival the follow month and as usual my requests were met no issue....my "standards" nor my budget are Crystal Cruise level. Expecting more than 2 bath towels in a double occupancy cabin, and requesting an extra pillow to me are not luxury cruise expectations?

I've only cruised carnival. I've looked at other lines but they always cost more. I just can't justify the additional cost. I have no issue with carnival. When friends/family make snarky comments I just ignore. I may try another line someday if the price is right.

I think some people just find the cruiseline thats suits their needs and then can't understand why everyone doesn't share that same love.

I would never be ashamed to tell anyone what cruise ships I have sailed, I am fortunate enough to be able to cruise and for me, it's more about seeing as much as the world as I can, so not really too bothered about which line I sail as long as it's English speaking, the price is right and it fits in with the dates I'm available.

The mass market lines are going to be similar - the pricing of a carnival cruise is not all that different than for celebrity or princess or HAL. Sometimes the Carnival cruise is priced higher than the others - comparing itinerary & length of cruise & not an apples to oranges comparison.

I think some of the carnival bashers who have never been on the cruise line like to put it down, maybe they think sailing a different cruise line & saying they would never cruise carnival elevates their social or economic standing. Like the ads the cruise lines run - I guess we can fall for it hook line & sinker & think we fit whatever image is being hawked on the ad.

Personly, I like the waterslides on the Spirit class ships. I can only immagine the enhancement on the Legend.

But you having been away for 5 years, you have surely not experienced the DJ playing misic at the point of overmodulation.

What annoys me. And I have 13 cruises on Carnival in last 8 years.

Carnival is always the cheapest.

Really?

If you keep up with prices, and I know many people work full time and have to depend on others to do that for themselves......but if you can track prices..........do not have to fly to ports...........You can cruise on any of the Mass passenger lines for less than Carnival costs for same cabin, etc.

2012...Princess brought the C. princess back from San Juan. If you checked A certain on line TA board...every day.......you saw a shocking price for the New Year's Eve Cruise...to Aruba and Cureso. $699 for an inside. $799 for oceanview. and so on. I called that minute. By the time that ship sailed......our cabin, which was a balcony..not an expensive one was selling for almost $3,000. I kid you not. We paid right at $1,000. New year's Eve. Seven days. Best cruise in my life.

Right now we are booked on Celebrity. 8 day cruise. $799 for a mid ship ocean view. With the choice of a free drink card..$200 OBC or Free gratuities. An 8 day cruise on Carnival for the equivalent cabin........more. And no freebies. Or OBC.

So. CArnival is not always the cheapest. If your joy is cruising, then make looking for bargins..ships that come back.....ships that have a lay over week or two and run one or two cruises........................And I like the Carnival Product. I would not keep going back if I didn't. I am soured on the Management right now..but the Staff and All on carnival...........just fantastic people. And the ships are squeaky clean. LOVE than. the food is not bad. The pizza is excellent. The grilled ham and cheese is the best sandwich I have had in my life. The Pasta BAr leaves me cold. but the Hamburgers..even the Pool ones..good to me. Salad bar is great. Chocolate chip cookies melt in your mouth. They must be pure butter. Yum.

We love Trivia. Always have a blast. Win some times. Not enough. This time my Triiva team is traveling with me. (DD, SIL, Grandbaby).

And Celebrity is not snobby. We were on the Zenith. Elevators iffy. Cool Air iffy. But we loved it. The passengers were the most fun of any ship we have ever been on. Half of the ship...for real turned out for Trivia Games..Battle of the sexes and they were hilarious. Very competitive but very good natured.

HAL...best food at sea imho. I ate myself silly. Ice Cream Parlor. Served. name your choice of toppings. Divine. Quiet. A sense of being alone at sea. Loved it. Fresh flowers. Awesome Paintings. Like being in a museum. Some cruisers are old. But they are all sweet. entertainment.blew me away. Who knew?

Edited by AmberTeka

Curiosity is the reason why I look at those bashing threads. I am always interested in what faults people are finding. I agree that I am on vacation, things won't be perfect, but I'll be darned if I will let small things ruin my vacation. When I was on Oceania, I heard more complaints about the most insignificant issues and I would walk away shaking my head. Princes screwed up my flights but everything was eventually straightened out. I had toilet issues on HAL and Celebrity. Things happen. I am not a cheerleader for any line. I enjoy them all. I just hate the negativity by people with no experience of what they are complaining. I don't mind criticism. I do mind bashing.

Edited by bphman

Yes the Carnival bashing annoys me too, but I have come to accept it. Some people will always be bashing one thing over another/their favorite. I have a ford car, and am often berated by acquaintances for being dumb enough to buy a north american made car:(. A friend recently said she could not believe that I would take the "risk" of going on yet another Carnival cruise after what happened to the Triumph. And she said went on and on about how bad the ship's captains are (she is fixated on the Costa tragedy)...she has never once taken a cruise. I get sick of it too, but I just close my eyes and keep my mouth shut and sooner or later they stop talking.

Im old enough to decide what I like cars or cruises...and dont give a rip anymore what others think.:(

IMHO, although there's the occasional inappropriate comment, I see a lot more well founded criticism, (sometimes brutally honest) than bashing.

We are all different. For some, Carnival is the perfect cruise line. For others, it's a nightmare. Then there's the rest of us, who love some things about Carnival and dislike (sometimes hate) others.

Some of my posts may sound like "bashing". I'll be the first one to tell you how much I dislike the DJ by the pool, how I think that fried chicken and meatloaf at the MDR is a new low, and how loyalty program cutbacks are an insult to those of us who've been cruising on Carnival for 20 years. But I will also tell you that Carnival's Steakhouses are the best specialty restaurants at sea, that I'm grateful for the low prices and convenient ports of departures, and that the Comfort Bed System is awesome.

Carnival is a business. I don't love them so I don't take offense when someone takes a stab at them here or on another board. Comments like the "Carnivalization" of Celebrity may sting some Carnival lovers, but it's one of those brutally honest observations that have more merit than some may want to realize.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi