NCL loyalist thinking about switching to Celebrity

kjbacon

We are Platinum level at NCL but we are looking for a cruise with a stricter smoking policy. We know Celebrity fits that bill but we don't know much else and would love to learn more, including any comparisons of the two. We are considering the Equinox 11 day Caribbean cruise. Would be interested to hear about the spa, the food, and (due to claustrophobia) the bathroom layouts of Concierge class and up. Are there showers and bathtubs or a combo? Thanks in advance.

We sail both Celebrity and NCL (and Princess) and enjoy them all, but you should know going in that NCL is quite different from the other two. The atmosphere on Celebrity will be more formal, quieter and more dignified than NCL. There is a dress code and it is followed by the vast majority of the passengers --- not as formal as a few years ago, but there will be 2 formal nights and most men will wear at least a sport coat and tie, ladies something dressy (although generally not a formal gown.) The specialty restaurants and Blu (for Aqua Class only) are always smart casual, but this is still generally fancier than what you are used to on NCL. We find Celebrity food better in the MDR, with an excellent buffet set up, but there are limited buffet options for dinner if that interests you. Bathrooms on Equinox are lovely, with great storage space and glass shower doors, no tubs that I am aware of. Entertainment is more extensive and varied on NCL, Celebrity really is more about relaxing with friends and good conversation in a dignified environment. As long as you are fine with the dress code, I say give it a try. We enjoy the positives on every line we cruise, have not yet found a cruise line or ship that is perfect in every way.

Edited by cynbar

I've cruised with 7 different cruise lines...Premier (the forerunner to Disney), NCL, Carnival, Princess, Royal Caribbean, Oceania and Celebrity...

IMHO, Celebrity is easily the best value, head and shoulders over most of the others in a number of areas (though I also think Oceania is excellent, but the higher prices and lack of nightlife make it slightly less of a value and a little less exciting. I also like Royal Caribbean for a few reasons--mainly the amenities and entertainment...it is the best line when traveling with kids).

But, what you will get with Celebrity (especially over NCL) is much better food and service, very restricted smoking and, most importantly to me, the least crowded and most comfortable ships.

Celebrity ships carry fewer passengers in more space. And the space is laid out very well, with large, open lounge areas and venues such as the showrooms more than ample for the number of passengers onboard.

The staterooms are well laid out with sitting areas with sofa and coffee table...though the bathrooms, like on most cruise ships, are small...BUT, if you want a bathtub, move up to a "Sky Suite". To me, the standard bathrooms are large enough.

If you really like "room", and book a Concierge class cabin, see if you can get one on the slant...We had #2106 last Celebrity cruise--the balcony is almost three times standard size...(We had 2111 on Eclipse the summer before--and the only thing wrong with that one was its proximity to the smoking area--which never really affected the cabin or balcony--it was just that, when I exetited the cabin hallway toward the pool deck, I kept forgetting which side of the ship I was on and kept walking out into that lone smoking area...the other side of the ship was much better...).

As to other differences in cabins, the layout is fairly standard from inside cabins (absent the balcony and window, of course) all the way up to Concierge and Aqua class. The Sky Suites are also a single room, but a significantly wider single room--and with a bathtub...Other Suites, of course, get larger from there.

In my signature is a detailed video of an Aqua Class cabin. I believe that verandah and concierge cabins are the same, as far as, the bathroom is concerned.

As a person with asthma who has been on NCL ship I can say that Celebrity is much better when it comes to not smelling cigarette smoke. The food was better in the buffet, but there are way less specialty restaurants.

We sail both Celebrity and NCL (and Princess) and enjoy them all, but you should know going in that NCL is quite different from the other two. The atmosphere on Celebrity will be more formal, quieter and more dignified than NCL. There is a dress code and it is followed by the vast majority of the passengers --- not as formal as a few years ago, but there will be 2 formal nights and most men will wear at least a sport coat and tie, ladies something dressy (although generally not a formal gown.) The specialty restaurants and Blu (for Aqua Class only) are always smart casual, but this is still generally fancier than what you are used to on NCL. We find Celebrity food better in the MDR, with an excellent buffet set up, but there are limited buffet options for dinner if that interests you. Bathrooms on Equinox are lovely, with great storage space and glass shower doors, no tubs that I am aware of. Entertainment is more extensive and varied on NCL, Celebrity really is more about relaxing with friends and good conversation in a dignified environment. As long as you are fine with the dress code, I say give it a try. We enjoy the positives on every line we cruise, have not yet found a cruise line or ship that is perfect in every way.

We sailed Carnival for years, tried RCCL (did not like it) and then NCL and loved it (been sailing past for years with them). But this year we did Celebrity for the first time…SOLD! We loved it. We a empty nest couple in our mid-40's. We loved our room, the food, the intimate areas for a drink, the drink package. WE had a great time and booked for the Reflection next year while we were on board the Summit a few weeks ago. But NCL would be my second favorite and I would sail with either line.

Thank you for all of this helpful information! The atmosphere sounds very appealing and I'd say right now, we are really leaning toward this for our next cruise. And how nice to be able to come and go without having to deal with smoke! As for the bathrooms in the Sky Suite, is there a bathtub and a stall shower or is there a bathtub with a shower combo? Any more info on the spa? We tend to spend time in the spa every day and really enjoyed the thassotherapy pool on NCL. Is there a similar pool in the Persian Garden? Also, have seen several references to the 1-2-3 program, what is that? I'm asking a lot of questions but trying to learn a whole lot in a very short time :)

Thank you for all of this helpful information! The atmosphere sounds very appealing and I'd say right now, we are really leaning toward this for our next cruise. And how nice to be able to come and go without having to deal with smoke! As for the bathrooms in the Sky Suite, is there a bathtub and a stall shower or is there a bathtub with a shower combo? Any more info on the spa? We tend to spend time in the spa every day and really enjoyed the thassotherapy pool on NCL. Is there a similar pool in the Persian Garden? Also, have seen several references to the 1-2-3 program, what is that? I'm asking a lot of questions but trying to learn a whole lot in a very short time :)

The 1-2-3 promotion is one where you pick your perk: Either Classic beverage package, gratituties or OBC.

It is a bathtub/shower combination in sky suites.

The spa area has a large, adults only solarium which has a pool and two whirlpool tubs. On the smaller, older M class ships the solarium pool is actually a thallostherapy pool (spelling?) which is warm with a lot of water jets. On S class it is a regular pool - may be warmed up a bit but not much. On S class there is a room with heated lounge chairs as well as steam rooms, sauna, etc. This area is provided primarily for those staying in Aqua Class, but is also available to the general public for a price per day (or a weekly rate). If you are not in AQ, you can tour it the first day and decide if the price is worth it for you. Not sure exactly what there is for M class, as I am not a big spa person other than the occasional massage.

BTW, the showers in regular cabins (ie, any smaller than a suite) have curved glass doors rather than the old type shower curtains, which may help with the claustrophobic feeling.

The 1-2-3 promotion is one where you pick your perk: Either Classic beverage package, gratituties or OBC.

The classic package is a phenomenal deal, and includes quite a bit of nob alcoholic beverages, including free water, soda, speciality coffees, fresh squeezed OJ, etc. Getting it for free is priceless. Do it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app