baggage and connection time

Hawaiidan

Ok, I am un sure of how this will work,

I am flying on American Airlines, economy coach arranged by Oceania to LAX.

I will have a 17 hour layover in LAX ( which I love) and flying out on a charter Tahiti NUi in business class.

Will American interline my bags HNL -LAX-PPT/ ? Or will I need to pick up the bags on arrival in LA and re-check with such a long layover?

Not sure with such a long layover, and interline transfer between classes of service.

finally, What bag restriction will govern the trip since AA and Tahiti Nui are partners? Will I get on the domestic coach leg the 70 lb- 2 bag limit, or will I have to pay for AA with a 50 lb limit, then get the higher limit on Air Tahiti.

Anyone experienced this?...multi airlines, multi classes, long connection

Ok, I am un sure of how this will work,

I am flying on American Airlines, economy coach arranged by Oceania to LAX.

I will have a 17 hour layover in LAX ( which I love) and flying out on a charter Tahiti NUi in business class.

Will American interline my bags HNL -LAX-PPT/ ? Or will I need to pick up the bags on arrival in LA and re-check with such a long layover?

Not sure with such a long layover, and interline transfer between classes of service.

finally, What bag restriction will govern the trip since AA and Tahiti Nui are partners? Will I get on the domestic coach leg the 70 lb- 2 bag limit, or will I have to pay for AA with a 50 lb limit, then get the higher limit on Air Tahiti.

Anyone experienced this?...multi airlines, multi classes, long connection

You are arriving at LAX on a domestic flight on one airline in one terminal and departing on an international flight (and a different carrier) in another terminal seventeen hours later. Just those facts would make us very antsy about trusting the airlines to do the transfers. It may be extra effort to claim your bags at LAX and keep them with you until you check them in later, but it would give you better odds of seeing your baggage arrive when you do in PPT.

We have a similar problem. We are booked using Oceania air on United from Houston to LAX with 4 hour layover before boarding Air Tahiti charter to Papeete. Oceania says I can probably tag luggage in Houston through to Papeete but I'm leery of doing that for fear my luggage will get lost. Should I claim it in LA and recheck at Air Tahiti?

I have done three trips in three years to PPT via AA domestic and ATN transpacific.

AA WILL check them through if on one ticket, but ATN will NOT from Tahiti on the return flight.

You have to pick up the bags in LAX on the return.

Saying that, I have always collected my bags in LA and rechecked them with ATN.

I do not trust the airlines to change terminals and carriers!

It's ok if the bags get lost on the return; not so much at the start!

I just returned from Tahiti.......Went from IAH to LAX on United.....checked me all the way to Papeete but I was on Air France.

I got my luggage just fine....would do it again.

My address is Missouri City, but I consider myself living in Sugarland. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Sammie Kay

Just a minute ago I was listening to a feature report on 20/20. They said that the bags most at risk are those checked in more than 90 minutes in advance. That often the airlines aren't set up to collect baggage checked in earlier anyway. (They also had a number of horror stories about lost baggage, stolen items, etc.)

We've been pretty lucky over the years with our baggage -- once or twice it was late. Once music I needed for my debut recital in NYC was totally lost but AA brought it to my home a day or two later. Even with unlocked luggage, nothing has been taken. Then again, we generally don't have anything anyone would want to take anyway.

In your case, Dan, I'd find an airline hotel and schlep my bags back and forth.

Mura

I have done the hotel thing many times and prefer it.

This is why I was tickled pink when My flights got changed ( for the 3rd time) with a 17 hour layover in LA....

My worry was I know that you cant check bags more than 12 hours in advance.

This was complicated by a ticket rule that says " bags must be ticked on the complete route" In short, according to the rule you cant short stop your bags for less than the full routing.

Presently, my routing shows a connection, on the AA site to Tahiti Nui....even though it was the nest day !.

That was my worry, could I grab my stuff in LAX and take it to the hotel to re-check with ATN the next day.

On an other return flight, EWR -LAX- HNL, I was told that I could not get my bags in LA since their destination was HNL

Now the final question....Flying Coach AA connecting to TN Business can I get Business bag allowance for the AA?

Thanks All...

I have done the hotel thing many times and prefer it.

This is why I was tickled pink when My flights got changed ( for the 3rd time) with a 17 hour layover in LA....

My worry was I know that you cant check bags more than 12 hours in advance.

This was complicated by a ticket rule that says " bags must be ticked on the complete route" In short, according to the rule you cant short stop your bags for less than the full routing.

Presently, my routing shows a connection, on the AA site to Tahiti Nui....even though it was the nest day !.

That was my worry, could I grab my stuff in LAX and take it to the hotel to re-check with ATN the next day.

On an other return flight, EWR -LAX- HNL, I was told that I could not get my bags in LA since their destination was HNL

Now the final question....Flying Coach AA connecting to TN Business can I get Business bag allowance for the AA?

Thanks All...

Believe that the answer to your bag allowance depends on how you are ticketed. If you are on a single ticket which shows you booked on both the American and Air Tahiti Nui flights you might be able to the Business bag allowance but, see that you are on a charter for the second flight so that might complicate things.

Since none of us on the board are aware of the full details of your situation, best to call American and get the correct story from them and if it is that you get the allowance, get that in writing from the agent so you can show it when you check in in Hawaii. Also ask them about the 17 hour layover and picking up the luggage in LA>

For the record, my DW and I flew to New Zealand business class starting on Continental, a code share partner, to LAX and we had the larger weight limit for our luggage.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Thanks All...

since you probably already know the answer

The baggages allowance goes with the 1st flight

Call the airline

Because I saw in LAX the other day a family get off a business class ticket from HKG connecting to domestic coach, and was charged $400 baggage fees because they had 2- 70 lb bags!

Ill try AA.... as I cant loose anything

Thank you all

Because I saw in LAX the other day a family get off a business class ticket from HKG connecting to domestic coach, and was charged $400 baggage fees because they had 2- 70 lb bags!

Ill try AA.... as I cant loose anything

Thank you all

Have to believe it was a connection between two non-code sharing carriers or for some reason in Hong Kong they couldn't or wouldn't check the bags thru to final destination. When connecting coming into the US from a foreign country, have always simply dropped the bags on a conveyor upon exiting customs as the bags were always tagged to my home airport. Nobody weighed or did anything but, take the bags and don't think it made a difference what airline I was connecting to, they all went on the same conveyor and nobody to take extra money for heavy bags.

If they were checking in at the checkin counter for the domestic flight, not surprised they weighed and charged for the heavy bags.

A suggestion to everyone flying internationally and connecting like Dan's example, make sure you check like Dan is before you bring an overweight bag and check all of the airlines you are flying to make sure you don't pay thru the nose for overweight luggage or too many bags.

And, for Lyn, not always true that the allowance goes with the first flight, in fact if one of the flights sets the baggage rules, it goes with the flight, first or second that you are on the highest flight category and the airlines need to interline together and probably be code share partners. Each case can be different so check with the airline you are first going to check in with and if possible, make sure you are on a single ticket or at least one reservation number. Buying separate tickets will often negate the advantage of the business class allowance

Edited by rallydave

Last year we flew from Bangkok to Honk Kong on Nippon, then AC to Toronto. They charged me for bags, based on lower allowance on AC. I tried to argue with them, because online it said to check allowances for Nippon, which were higher. Of course, they have you by the short curly ones so they blackmail you into paying. The moral of the story is default to lowest allowance if you don't want to pay.

In July we are flying to DRC business class, my first! Booked by DD as a Christmas gift to visit her there. However we will fly to Montreal and then direct to Brussels and on to Kigali. I haven't checked yet but I suspect going we will have lower allowance from Toronto to Montreal, hence lower for entire trip. That's fine as we are working on packing lighter, but the list of necessities for us to bring gets longer everyday!

The people who populate the Cruise Air board seem to have all the answers and know all the tricks. You may want to post there.

Mo

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app