Music volume on your next cruise

ghstudio

What is your preference on music volume on your next cruise?  

429 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference on music volume on your next cruise?

• I enjoy loud music throughout the ship
    • I enjoy loud music in some areas (pool/marini bar/) but would like some areas with background music
    • I don't think that loud music is appropriate anywhere on the ship
    • The loudness of the music doesn't bother me one way or the other.

There is much discussion about the sound level on Celebrity ships. For the purpose of this pole...forget your last experience or what you've read about other's experience.....vote on what you would like on your next celebrity cruise.

By loud music, I mean music loud enough to cause you to have to raise your voice considerably to talk

Edited by ghstudio

I did a poll once about the Elite HH, most on CC want it to stay the same, and then they started with having coupons, guess what , most people I talk to ON the cruise love the coupons way more then doing HH in the lounges :p

The only poll that really matters is , if the ships are selling out , after that it would be the comment cards at end of the cruise

Who gets to define "loud"?

I think loud is down to personal taste, and very difficult to 'define'

However, as much as I love loud music, my own interpretation of 'too' loud would be having to shout in order to speak to someone I'm with, or try and give an order at the bar. If I'm doing that, then it's way too loud for me personally, and I know it's probably not doing my ears any good either :( In the night club, I expect this, and I'm dancing and not taking anyway :) In the bars - its a big no from me :eek:

Lou

Edited by Lovemychoos

It seems to me that a martini bar would be a reasonable place to expect loud music. If loud music is not your thing, I'm sure there are countless other places on board to find peace and quiet.

I did a poll once about the Elite HH, most on CC want it to stay the same, and then they started with having coupons, guess what , most people I talk to ON the cruise love the coupons way more then doing HH in the lounges :p

The only poll that really matters is , if the ships are selling out , after that it would be the comment cards at end of the cruise

Comment cards are essentially useless. waiters and room stewards tell you that if you don't say it was perfect, they are penalized. Many don't even fill them out. they are far from representative.

loud is in the ears of the beholder....

I would have liked to see additional questions for on this poll:

"Do you think that the music was too loud in the MDR and/or other dining venues on your recent cruise(s)?"

"Do you think that the music was too loud in the bars, pool areas, and entertainment venues on your recent cruise(s)?"

We did not think that the music was too loud on our B2B cruises to NZ and Australia last year.

It seems to me that a martini bar would be a reasonable place to expect loud music. If loud music is not your thing, I'm sure there are countless other places on board to find peace and quiet.

But surely if you are literally shouting your order to a barman who still can't hear you, and you are resorting to 'pointing' to what you want on the martini menu, that's beyond loud?

I love all sorts of music, and I also love loud music. But I don't want music at a level which hurts!

Who gets to define "loud"?

Excellent above comment/question for who determines and how in defining "loud"? It's in the eye (or ear) of the beholder. Not all agree as to what is too "loud" or not.

From our recent Solstice sailing in Australia and New Zealand, we did not experience any major sound level problems or serious challenges. We were not in every part of the ship at all different hours. But between us and the six other couples in our Central Ohio group, I did not get any such negative feed-back, comments or worries. Maybe for our older crowd on this sailing in this area, they had things better adjusted compared to what some of have experienced in the Carib.

I am mid 60's and not a young "hipster". No complaints from us after two Solstice sailings. BUT, we get "it" for how in some locations (at sea or on land), the music can get out of control. Or, that a few will react when their desires for music type or level is not fitting their personal interests. In today's iPod, on-demand world, not everyone agrees on music picks or levels.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Just back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at over 40,798 views for this fun posting.

loud is in the ears of the beholder....

Super well summarized!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 163,713 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Yes, loud music isn't my thing anymore, but the cruise lines have to appeal to a broad base. If there are a couple of bars on the ship blasting music, I hope there are people there to appreciate it, I can relax elsewhere.

I see parallels with the clothing discussions on formal nights. I don't want to dress up on vacation, many others do like to dress up, so I find alternate places to dine.

There are thousands of people on any given cruise and no one cookie cutter solution.

Edited by Puckhog

I don't want it loud at the pool or the martini bar - in the nightclub, enclosed, where the partiers want to go and dance and not converse, I think would be the only place for booming loud.

I agree. The only place where loud music should be is in an enclosed space where it would not bother other cruisers.

This option was not on the poll, so I didn't vote.

But surely if you are literally shouting your order to a barman who still can't hear you, and you are resorting to 'pointing' to what you want on the martini menu, that's beyond loud?

I love all sorts of music, and I also love loud music. But I don't want music at a level which hurts!

not sure how cruise ships roll:confused:, but typically the music volume will be turned up in bars to be heard above the din of the crowd...i.e. the more people, louder the music gets. Could be the staff just isn't adjusting it throughout the day to reflect the size of the crowd (as in scaling it back when less crowded) in an enclosed situation as you describe.

I didn't vote for any of your choices. If I had to vote it would have been: I enjoy loud music in some places, like where the party band plays dance music, but enjoy softer music or background music in the lounges, atrium and dining areas at other times.

You're closest selection included loud music by the martini bar and pool. I don't like loud music by the martini bar at all since it destroys any chance at good conversation. I like semi-loud music at the pool when the party band or other appropriate live entertainer is playing but wouldn't want loud DJ or loud recorded music there.

Edited by Lsimon

I didn't vote for any of your choices. If I had to vote it would have been: I enjoy loud music in some places, like where the party band plays dance music, but enjoy softer music or background music in the lounges, atrium and dining areas at other times.

You're closest selection included loud music by the martini bar and pool. I don't like loud music by the martini bar at all since it destroys any chance at good conversation. I like semi-loud music at the pool when the party band or other appropriate live entertainer is playing but wouldn't want loud DJ or loud recorded music there.

I agree. I also think you should add "no music at all" to your poll.

I think the option of no music at all is not a realistic option given that there will always be bands, singing groups, etc on (larger) cruise ships.

Certainly the venues with "loud" music are discussable, but there will most likely always be one or two, if not more. I know some want the martini bar to be as quiet as their home, but based on my observations on many cruise, that's a hang out for "bar type" folks (I know that's a stereotype statement) so it would certainly be a strong candidate for loud(ER) music than say the reflection lounge or cafe baccio.

Loud music around the pool and dining rooms are a big no no to me. IMO it should be pleasant background music.

In clubs yes loud music and some loud music too. Other bars nice gentle music.

Everyone has to be pleased. Although does anyone actually want loud music blasting out during dinner :o

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

So far 85 people have voted for this:

"I don't think that loud music is appropriate anywhere on the ship."

Really??? You mean while you are enjoying a part of the ship which is quiet or where soft music is playing, I shouldn't be able to party it up with loud music somewhere else? Do you honestly not consider this to be an astonishingly selfish attitude? It's a ship, not a place of worship.

So far 85 people have voted for this:

"I don't think that loud music is appropriate anywhere on the ship."

Really??? You mean while you are enjoying a part of the ship which is quiet or where soft music is playing, I shouldn't be able to party it up with loud music somewhere else? Do you honestly not consider this to be an astonishingly selfish attitude? It's a ship, not a place of worship.

That is what they are saying. They should be able to enjoy their cruise, but you should not. I've said all along that there should be a compromise; some venues with guiet music and some with loud music, that way everyone can enjoy what they enjoy and everyone is happy.

Edited by NLH Arizona